Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2017 11:06:04 AM EDT
I am going on 47, so I'm an 80's kid. My parents liked my music back then. Not the hard rock stuff, but the pop music. Are there any parents that like their kids' music today?

Just for fun last night my wife and I listened to the top 10, and it did not go well at all. Most of the music isn't music at all, it's wretched rap crap. But even the music that's isn't entirely rap 'features' rappers, which have apparently replaced the venerable guitar solo of my day. And the names of some of these rappers are fucking retarded.

Here is your top ten. Enjoy!

1. Kendrick Lamar - Humble
2. Ed Sheerhan - Shape of You
3. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
4. Kendrick Lamar - DNA
5. Future - Mask Off
6. KYLE featuring Lil' Yachty - iSpy (Music is terrible, but this video LOL)
7. Zedd & Alessia Cara - Stay
8. The Chainsmokers and Coldplay - Something Just Like This
9. Luis Fonzi & Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber - Despacito
10. Lil' Uzi Vert - XO TOUR Lif3 (No typos there)

Am I getting old, or is this all just really bad?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in my 30s and admittedly listen to "rap music." Still I'm pretty selective to a point. The new Kendrick Lamar stuff is really good. A lot of that other stuff hardly qualifies as music though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
There's plenty of decent music that's out there if you put the effort in to finding it.
I think its just the stuff you hear on the radio that's terrible. its been that way for years
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#3]
imagine what people in their 40's back in the 80's thought of Poison,White Snake etc...   It's all relative
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The music does indeed suck. Anyone with a laptop and a mic is a rapper and producer.

Country is an absolute joke (my brother listens to that shit so when I go anywhere with him, I get to hear today's country talent lol). I sometimes have to ask him if this is a pop/r&b station because I can't tell the difference. The whole computer generated beats thing sounds beyond retarded in a country song.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
You're not just old. The new stuff really is crap. Less and less emphasis on musician, more on "entertainer."
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The music does indeed suck. Anyone with a laptop and a mic is a rapper and producer.

Country is an absolute joke (my brother listens to that shit so when I go anywhere with him, I get to hear today's country talent lol). I sometimes have to ask him if this is a pop/r&b station because I can't tell the difference. The whole computer generated beats thing sounds beyond retarded in a country song.
View Quote
I don't know. Sober Saturday Night by Chirs Young is pretty good. I like DeaMau5.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The downhill slide started here:

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The stuff on charts/radio are manufactured and pimped by clear channel to make certain artists/labels money. There is a ton of good music out there and a lot more genres than ever before. It has become very decentralized and local/regional, we are better for it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
It does suck, but the new wave/new romantic/glam rock of the '80s didn't go over too well with the older crowd back then either.

And actually the '80s spawned rap.

One of my darkest days was seeing Aerosmith team up with run dmc to remake "Walk this Way".
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#10]
EDM is the best it has ever been.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
... 2. Ed Sheerhan - Shape of You
View Quote

Wow.

Ed Sheeran - Shape of You (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#13]
What is all that?

Never heard of any of it.

Don't ask me to try any of it.....I'm too old to try new stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's plenty of decent music that's out there if you put the effort in to finding it.
I think its just the stuff you hear on the radio that's terrible. its been that way for years
View Quote
absolutely this
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am going on 47, so I'm an 80's kid. My parents liked my music back then. Not the hard rock stuff, but the pop music. Are there any parents that like their kids' music today?

Just for fun last night my wife and I listened to the top 10, and it did not go well at all. Most of the music isn't music at all, it's wretched rap crap. But even the music that's isn't entirely rap 'features' rappers, which have apparently replaced the venerable guitar solo of my day. And the names of some of these rappers are fucking retarded.

Here is your top ten. Enjoy!

1. Kendrick Lamar - Humble
2. Ed Sheerhan - Shape of You
3. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
4. Kendrick Lamar - DNA
5. Future - Mask Off
6. KYLE featuring Lil' Yachty - iSpy (Music is terrible, but this video LOL)
7. Zedd & Alessia Cara - Stay
8. The Chainsmokers and Coldplay - Something Just Like This
9. Luis Fonzi & Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber - Despacito
10. Lil' Uzi Vert - XO TOUR Lif3 (No typos there)

Am I getting old, or is this all just really bad?
View Quote

I have only heard of two names on that list and have only heard music from one - Coldplay (I only recognize Bieber's name from the news)
Otherwise I have no idea what anything else on that list means.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#17]
You're old* and it's crap.  I clicked on all those "hits" you linked and couldn't make it through more than a few seconds of each.

It's not that I hate rap or anything.  I liked "Straight Outta Compton" and some Public Enemy stuff.  But that current stuff is awful.

Here's a good song

A Flock Of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song 1982

*I'm your age
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Edm is just awful
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#19]
80's kid checking in.

Music, as a whole, has indeed dropped in quality.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#20]
It's not just you.

We bought a cheap car to haul the kids around, and it doesn't have satellite radio. The crap that comes on FM is truly dismal. There is this one song something about "I hate you I love you" that makes a root canal sound like fun. 

Most of the new music sounds like someone crying about something. I have 2 young kids so I already listen to enough crying without my radio crying at me too. 

It used to be there were some really talented musicians. A lot of the time they were also freaking ugly looking because what mattered was how they sounded, not how they looked.

Now, you can't succeed in the music industry unless you look like a model. But that eliminates a lot of musical talent in favor of attractiveness. So you end up with shitty music made by good looking talentless hacks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#21]
There is awesome music in lots of genre being produced right now.

It's not on the radio.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes and yes
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's not just you.

We bought a cheap car to haul the kids around, and it doesn't have satellite radio. The crap that comes on FM is truly dismal. There is this one song something about "I hate you I love you" that makes a root canal sound like fun. 

Most of the new music sounds like someone crying about something. I have 2 young kids so I already listen to enough crying without my radio crying at me too. 

It used to be there were some really talented musicians. A lot of the time they were also freaking ugly looking because what mattered was how they sounded, not how they looked.

Now, you can succeed in the music industry unless you look like a model. But that eliminates a lot of musical talent in favor of attractiveness. So you end up with shitty music made by good looking talentless hacks.
View Quote
With the help of Pro tools and auto tune, who needs talent? Let the computer do all the work and have someone else write the music.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#25]
It is beyond terrible.  I'm at the point in life where all the old rock has been listened to ad nauseam and modern pop crap is intolerable.  Have discovered jazz/classical.  Happy again!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
imagine what people in their 40's back in the 80's thought of Poison,White Snake etc...   It's all relative
View Quote
I was in my teens/twenties in the 80's and thought Pison, Whitesnake, Motley, Ratt, etc. sucked

OP there is good music (as stated earlier) you just need to look for it.

This was a group (mellow stuff) that I discovered recently re-watching  "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

Junip - Line of Fire (Live on KEXP)

Which led me down the rabbit hole to this (kinda Grungy)

Wolf Alice | Storms - Fluffy live at Glastonbury 2016 (HD 720p)

Never heard of either of them

But yeah, the crap that is 'Pop' these days is downright garbage for the most part
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#27]
You are old.

But that doesn't mean that the music isn't crap.
Rap is all crap. No redeeming value whatsoever.
Slightly amusing the first time you hear it, after that, just pure garbage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Radio play music has always catered to the lowest common denominator and there has always and will always be great musicians,even if you haven't heard of them.Actually,it's never been easier to find groups that would have been impossible to hear by virture of things like Pandora using algorithms to play things that others with similar tastes have also enjoyed. I've been introduced to a great number of current bands that I never would hear just driving around listening to the radio,used in commercials etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Seriously, if you want music that fits your needs, get an Internet radio. There is a very wide selection of stations available, and numerous devices to select from.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not really.

My dad liked a lot of the 80's hair metal stuff.
Couldn't stand rap.

I grew up right when rap really caught on and I liked quite a lot of it, despite primarily being a metalhead.
Pretty much none of the current stuff is any good, most of it is outright unlistenable.

Oddly, I find myself listening to a lot of EDM these days.
40+ year old white guy in a lowered minitruck listening to EDM, yeah, I am sure I get a few odd looks.
Meh, whatever.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Some is catchy, but now that everyone and their brother can record music and throw it on the internet, there is A LOT of stuff out there.

Back in the day, a recording label had to deem you worthy to play on the radio, so the music from the 70's and 80's may seem better but you really didn't have to listen to all the trash that didn't make the cut.

Just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You're not just old. The new stuff really is crap. Less and less emphasis on musician, more on "entertainer."
View Quote
Yep. Musicianship basically went out the window with the 80's/90's. There's still some good ones out there but nothing you'll see in any of the top 20 type charts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Most modern music is garbage
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can listen to music from the 20's, the 40's, the 50's and not enjoy it but I can see how other people can enjoy it. Today and the last 15 -20 years
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#37]
The discordant and unharmonious sound called Rap should not be dignified by identifying it as music.  At best it is disturbing noise.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#38]
It's politically correct Ghetto noise, like the movies we make today!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Theres some pretty decent new music out there.  None of it is on the radio, nor is it top-anything. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#40]
OP.. Arfcom. The answer is both ! It is and you are.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Someone should tell Lil Yachty that a small yacht is just a boat
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I've come to the conclusion that most music sucks, regardless of time period.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread is like listening to a conversation at cracker barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  You can find anything.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#45]
There's no comparison between the peak of western civilization music ( 18 piece big band, where each member has over 10K hours of individual practice time)
and a stoned, low-IQ wannabe rapper mumbling into an expensive microphone feeding into autotune.  

Even the work that went into a BOSTON song is epic compared to most pop garbage today. My opinion is based on being a music teacher, not nostalgia

Barn Burner Big Band Jazz
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I have never heard of any of those people.  Guess I'm old too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#47]
One thing I noticed that is different is the lack of retrospective knowledge or enjoyment.

Twenty years ago, teens and 20 somethings were very likely to often be listening to stuff from the 70's and 80's or at the least have some knowledge.

Now, it's new or nothing.

With the change in distribution methods, the historically urban method of "the latest drops" has spread across all genres.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Rap isn't music. I'm 63 and white. I hope someday the black community rediscover their talented musical past.
My favorite XM radio channels are Bluegrass, blues, "old school"  jazz, occasional classic country, and symphony. Edit: i forgot "big band" 40's.
Other than one local classic rock FM station and talk radio, I rarely listen to radio.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Most of the stuff that gets radio play is so bad that the next trend to come in music has to sound better, it just has to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Most modern music is garbage
View Quote
Most.  But not all.  I'm also in my late 40's and raised on Waylon, Metallica, and Steve Miller Band.  But there's some decent new stuff out there, you really have to search for it, however.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top