User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Kentucky won't admit shit, even with trail camera and cell phone evidence because we're broke and they don't want to commit resources to the conservation and research efforts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Mountain lions don't kill for "fun" but they do kill for practice. They are adaptive hunters and get better with each kill.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Handguns?

Large cats are why Jesus gave us the FAL.
View Quote
I have an M1 Garand and an PA10 withing reach.
That ought to do it.

I need a new scope for the 458 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you mad?! This man clearly needs a nice .375 H&H. Probably a pre ‘64 Winchester, with a low power scope.
View Quote
375 Ruger rifles ain't very expensive these days.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ohio maintains that there are no mountain lions.

Yet, about 5 miles from me, State highway patrol chased one down the highway.

They later clarified their statement that it was a bobcat...

Yeah, I'm sorry. You don't get a mountain lion and bobcat confused.
View Quote
We have a huge campus with lots of unimproved land where I work. Mt. Lions have been reported but never confirmed.
I am still waiting for the bears.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wrong. Very few animals on the planet do anything “for fun.” Cats are wound up predators, it’s what makes them what they are. Much more likely that the cats were raising and training cubs, or the animal was NOT healthy. The point is that nature does things for a reason, whether or not we understand what that reason is.
View Quote
That's just dumb.
I have watched cats and others do it for entertainment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.facebook.com/NickBeresNC5/videos/694361530922438/

What is the dept of fish and game trying to hide
View Quote
Wow really interesting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Whole lotta people ITT who have no idea how sadistic cats are.

As to the existence of mountain lions in KY, I have a lot of family in Jackson and Perry co, when I was young we used to go spend a couple weeks there in the summer. We did that up until I was 13 (1998), and I saw multiple pelts of ML tacked up in the barns. They run them down with dogs. My great uncle had 6 or 8 that they used, and would use a .22 to put them down.

I have seen 5-6" wide tracks in snow in southern indiana in the hoosier national forest multiple times, and heard screams. We own a few hundred acres that butts up against it on the Brown/Jackson co line.

I also had a friend growing up who lived on the edge of the muskatatuck wildlife refugee on the south side of Seymour, he took a picture of a black bear in the field behind his house in ~2006.

A man in Austin had a pair of cougars in enclosures in his back yard that I saw as well, and was selling cubs to people. This was around 1995 time frame. He lived on the north end about 2 blocks off of 31, right at the edge of town.

I dont blame IDNR or any DNR for that matter for not admitting to them. You really dont want to ever have to deal with that kind of shit show.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Something strange is afoot at the circle K.

This shit here is the reason why I always always always pack a pistola during bow season.

It’s not allowed, but the hell if I’m gonna walk into the deep dark woods without a .45 with a surefire attached.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:17:02 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess that  settles it then .

A  bobcat killed 3 horses a pitbull and a husky all in one morning on that property .
Seems plausible...

https://i.imgur.com/7ZE7lvp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JDFdWCo.png
That "bobcat" looks more like a lynx to me. The bobcat that roams our property (CO mountains) looks a lot more "leggy". We have some nice still shots that my wife took with her long lens at about eighty yards. We also have some crappy IR game camera video taken a few weeks ago. Can't be sure it's the same bobcat as the stills and the video were taken maybe two years apart. Last year I watched a bobcat carrying a number of dead ground squirrels South into the trees on our property, so last months cat video may have been one of the kits grown up or mama hunting.

We like to watch the critters. Didn't like the visit from the destructive bear. In my 24 years in CO I've seen a coyote dance but I've never gotten to see a cougar. They are in my AO, five weeks ago someone higher up in the ranch where we own lost a lama to a big cat. I keep looking.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The actual statement I'm seeing in the news says they don't think animal attack at all.

Members of the state fish and wildlife diagnostics team examined the animals and said the attack does not appear to have been done by a large cat as initially released by the sheriff's office.

"We can say it's not a cat, and there is no evidence of a coyote," said Bill Lynch, a wildlife biologist with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.

"It's inconclusive," he said of the deaths. "You have to do a necropsy.  It wasn't a cat. It wasn't even anything like that. There wasn't enough damage. There is one track that is questionable."

It will be up to the animal owners to decide if they want to pay for necropsies to determine official causes of death for the animals, Lynch said.

"It was not conducive to an animal attack," he said. "There was not enough disruption to the area."

Lynch does not know what could have caused the deaths.
LINK
View Quote
No evidence of being a cat, yet less evidence of something else?

I have seen cat kills (domestic and wild) and paleontologists talk about extinct mega-fauna cats.  Cat kills are often one bite into the spine where their teeth separate vertebra and sever the nerve there.  Instant kill with very little damage. Hell, one of my gerbils met that fate with a household pet cat killing it after the gerbil got out.  Very little damage, but dead animal.

It would take a big cat to kill a horse for sure, but stuff running around in zoos or private collections could do it. Someone's "Liger" got out or something.

It could be a human, but I doubt a human would get TWO pitbulls without getting injured themselves.  Human could walk right up to a horse and kill it.

The alternative is a couple wolves, a bear (maybe two) to have to kill two pitbulls and three horses.

So, they should be saying "it's not consistent with a cat kill" and then nothing else if it is that.  But, "not much damage" just displays how little they know about cat kills.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No evidence of being a cat, yet less evidence of something else?

I have seen cat kills (domestic and wild) and paleontologists talk about extinct mega-fauna cats.  Cat kills are often one bite into the spine where their teeth separate vertebra and sever the nerve there.  Instant kill with very little damage. Hell, one of my gerbils met that fate with a household pet cat killing it after the gerbil got out.  Very little damage, but dead animal.

It would take a big cat to kill a horse for sure, but stuff running around in zoos or private collections could do it. Someone's "Liger" got out or something.

It could be a human, but I doubt a human would get TWO pitbulls without getting injured themselves.  Human could walk right up to a horse and kill it.

The alternative is a couple wolves, a bear (maybe two) to have to kill two pitbulls and three horses.

So, they should be saying "it's not consistent with a cat kill" and then nothing else if it is that.  But, "not much damage" just displays how little they know about cat kills.
View Quote
They were mini horses (or ponies, I've seen both reported). Makes it a little easier.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I bet it was a big cat like what we are being over run with

big cat
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

big cat
View Quote
I'm somewhat amused by how many names mountain lions have.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

big cat
View Quote
"Over run" might be a bit of a stretch.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I grew up in Clay Co. Tn right across the line where this happened.  There has been a lot of talk about as mountain lions have been spotted every now and again.
The area is pretty sparsely populated once you get out of Tompkinsville, Ky. So a big cat could go unnoticed for some time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
way more than the government says we have. neighbor up near GGB had a big uncollared male sitting on his porch,  I saw a smaller on with no collar further down our street, 3 streets over a goat was killed and another 2 streets over another uncollared male snatched the rabbit off the porch with the mom right there screaming at it. that is in addition to the one seen up at Max Hasse right were the kids were playing and another one was killed by a car on the GGB.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Posting from phone - sorry

You people are going to love this....

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/calf-found-dead-in-monroe-county-ky

Can't believe no one here has posted yet.

Another livestock animal deaded in Monroe co.

(ETA: in before KDFWR releases press statment stating that these 2 incidents are in no way related and most likely the result of a copycat)
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This pussy will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
View Quote
Not pussy it's CENTER HOLE
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah....

IN before KDFWR releases press statement that states:

"As a reminder to residents, even though we do not have big kitties in KY,  it is illegal to harvest them unless they pose and immediate threat to your person or livestock"
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Posting from phone - sorry

You people are going to love this....

Can't believe no one here has posted yet.

Another livestock animal deaded in Monroe co.

(ETA: in before KDFWR releases press statment stating that these 2 incidents are in no way related and most likely the result of a copycat)
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you
View Quote
No problem . thank you for the information
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#26]
TOMPKINSVILLE, Ky. - Officials confirmed another animal has been found dead in Monroe County, Kentucky.

According to Sheriff Dale Ford, a calf was found dead and partially skinned at a farm.

The animal’s death happened less than a mile from where three miniature horses were killed last weekend just outside Tompkinsville.

The sheriff released close up photos of where the calf was injured and said the scene was not as bloody as the one involving the horses. The injuries appeared to be different.

He also stated it’s impossible to know if the killings are related, but considering the controversy over what happened to the horses, he felt it’s important to go public with any attack.

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife officials determined a wild animal did not kill the horses; however, the sheriff has disagreed.

It’s not clear if the state will investigate the death of the calf

What would skin a kill before eating some of it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What would skin a kill before eating some of it?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I would say this wouldn't be the time to skulk around Monroe County playing pranks in the dark.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Do they need me to bring my ass up there and put an end to this shit?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#31]
If I can't make it up there....

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's just dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. Very few animals on the planet do anything "for fun." Cats are wound up predators, it's what makes them what they are. Much more likely that the cats were raising and training cubs, or the animal was NOT healthy. The point is that nature does things for a reason, whether or not we understand what that reason is.
That's just dumb.
I have a good friend that worked for KDFW. He's watched owls do it. Someone else told him about it and he didn't believe them until he saw it himself. If you ever come on a nest of birds with the heads popped off and uneaten, it was probably an owl playing "pop-goes-the-birdie".
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#33]
i saw a black panther the other day in the yard screaming like a woman being raped every time its foot hit the ground
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lycan
View Quote
big pussy

Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
That looks photoshoped.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Kentucky won't admit shit, even with trail camera and cell phone evidence because we're broke and they don't want to commit resources to the conservation and research efforts.
View Quote
They could easily get federal $$ to do this.

Believe me a biologist would love to have cougars legitimately found they could hire more people and make a career out of studying it and become an "expert" and be published
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Almost anything.

A lot of lion have been killed here with .22 Mag pistols.  They have very little wind.  Small lungs.  Can't run far.  The opposite of bear that are the marathon runners.

Favorites around here are the .22 mag, .357 mag revolver, .30-30, .44 Mag rifle and wheelgun, any and all deer/elk rifles tho high power rifles wreck the hides which most folks want to keep.   A fellow I used to know used an M1 Carbine which would be perfect with soft point ammo.  Light and handy and easy to carry when following hounds and chasing them on Misery Slippers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is about 10 miles from me. Everyone here is assuming a mountain lion in the area, but I’m leaning towards chupacabra.

What round for mythical goat suckers?
Almost anything.

A lot of lion have been killed here with .22 Mag pistols.  They have very little wind.  Small lungs.  Can't run far.  The opposite of bear that are the marathon runners.

Favorites around here are the .22 mag, .357 mag revolver, .30-30, .44 Mag rifle and wheelgun, any and all deer/elk rifles tho high power rifles wreck the hides which most folks want to keep.   A fellow I used to know used an M1 Carbine which would be perfect with soft point ammo.  Light and handy and easy to carry when following hounds and chasing them on Misery Slippers.
What does this mean?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What does this mean?
View Quote
Sorry.

Snowshoes.

Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sorry.

Snowshoes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does this mean?
Sorry.

Snowshoes.

Thanks for the update.

Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does this mean?
Sorry.

Snowshoes.

Thanks for the update.

Those of us who spend lots of time on them can assure you it is something preferably learned NOT by experience.

Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is about 10 miles from me. Everyone here is assuming a mountain lion in the area, but I’m leaning towards chupacabra.

What round for mythical goat suckers?
View Quote
Same as for goat fuqqers
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Yup, I've seen clear trail cam footage from buddies in the IN woods.  They're here.  They aren't a threat to people though.

IN DNR won't admit they're anything but transitory.  Like you say, they don't want that shit storm.

Quoted:

I have seen 5-6" wide tracks in snow in southern indiana in the hoosier national forest multiple times, and heard screams. We own a few hundred acres that butts up against it on the Brown/Jackson co line.

I also had a friend growing up who lived on the edge of the muskatatuck wildlife refugee on the south side of Seymour, he took a picture of a black bear in the field behind his house in ~2006.

A man in Austin had a pair of cougars in enclosures in his back yard that I saw as well, and was selling cubs to people. This was around 1995 time frame. He lived on the north end about 2 blocks off of 31, right at the edge of town.

I dont blame IDNR or any DNR for that matter for not admitting to them. You really dont want to ever have to deal with that kind of shit show.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nope. KY says they're not really there.

PA did/does the same. In a PA hunters safety class in about 1994 somebody asked about lions. The Game cop said they didn't exist in PA. The volunteer instructor said that the PGC had to say that because, since Eastern Lions at the time were considered endangered (they were declared extinct not long ago) the PGC would have to spend a shitload of money on habitat work and protection and all that and they didn't want to. The PGC cop said nothing in response to this.

PGC always said that any cougars found were "escaped pets", because that's a thing apparently. People started pointing to DNA analysis saying the cats were all from the West. Except (1) cats are going to spread East as their population grows and (2) one of the reasons the Eastern Lion got delisted was because they determined via DNA that all North American lions are the same species.

So they're here. Or they will be.

I'm looking forward to it, personally. Too many deer, too many liberals hiking.
View Quote
There was a large cat, like a lioness or tiger that escaped from someone's private zoo or maybe it just got too big as a pet and was let go - around Youngstown OH maybe 10-12 years ago
There were some photos of it but I don't recall any reports of it killing lots of things
And then there was the crazy guy around Cambridge OH who let his animals go, including big cats, and then he either killed himself or one killed him
But I think All of those were found captured or killed within a short period
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Put empty boxes all around the field.
View Quote
 lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#45]
It must have been the Wolf-man of Wolfe County, KY!

That show was hilarious!

They didn't even use real urban legends. The Wolf man episode was really funny, though. I think this attack must be proof of his existence.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top