Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2021 6:52:32 PM EDT
?Song For Learning Japanese?- MANA OKADA from 123JAPAN!

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't learn shit
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ai
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
ok, I'm done.

Wait!? Was I supposed to learn japanese or some shit in there, too?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I'm learning Japanese
I think I'm learning Japanese
I really think so
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The Three Stooges - Swingin' The Alphabet (1938).avi
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone got a tissue
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thousands of episodes of Naruto and trash taught me nothing.

Kuso!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Two bombs wasn't enough.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Chop chop, mushi mushi
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Bakana nipponjin.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
beitodesstrafe wa hentai desu, soshite watashi mo
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh, korean women > jap women

CSP - HUAHIN (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone said that while modern Japanese girls are not very 'traditional', put them in traditional clothing and their behaviour changes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone said that while modern Japanese girls are not very 'traditional', put them in traditional clothing and their behaviour changes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I understand...

Ochinchin unchi.

Quoted:
beitodesstrafe wa hentai desu, soshite watashi mo
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]
?????!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
!
View Quote
I'm not sure how you posted that. Foreign characters never work for me on here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Sound and picture don't sync.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Been twenty years, didn’t learn shit
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Didn't learn shit
View Quote

FPNI

If Bert and Ernie had been hyped up on cocaine, going as fast as that video was, there would likely still be a lot of people trying to figure out what comes after "a, b,...".
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
PICK UP LINES IN JAPANESE (JAPANESE 101)

The only Japanese teacher I'll ever need.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#23]
70s gradeschool said if you drop a bunch of silverware on the floor that's what the Japanese alphabet sounds like.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Didn't cover how to ask where the used panty vending machine is.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Totemo oiishi desu!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a bad case of Diarrhea Japanese learning English

Or learn English in 5 minutes
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGZQqEETXz4

View Quote

English is so lyrical
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Weeeoooweeooo?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
70s gradeschool said if you drop a bunch of silverware on the floor that's what the Japanese alphabet sounds like.
View Quote

How much silverware are you talking about?

They have so many characters, that (from what I've read) you have to learn a certain number of them by the time you finish elementary school, a certain number of the characters by the time you finish middle school, and a certain number of the characters by the time you finish high school.  If you go on to college, you are expected to learn even more.

I think the total is somewhere over 700 characters in their 'alphabet'.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They have so many characters, that (from what I've read) you have to learn a certain number of them by the time you finish elementary school, a certain number of the characters by the time you finish middle school, and a certain number of the characters by the time you finish high school.  If you go on to college, you are expected to learn even more.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

wait... no. i want to take them OUT of the clothing
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#32]

My man!

High five right here!
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGZQqEETXz4

View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#34]
beatsoffdeafguys must me sleeping late today.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

ironic enola gay avatar is ironic
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7WjEQswHss
View Quote

korea is great value japan

but this is the one exception
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they have hirgananis, then mega hiragainis, and then super, super hard advanced katanaias

very difficult 1000-times folded language
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
beatsoffdeafguys must me sleeping late today.
View Quote

Bendoveritsafe likes Koreans
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Hory shite, that-o worked da yo!
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fail to see the irony.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#42]
@NickMemphis wasn't the teacher?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

they have hirgananis, then mega hiragainis, and then super, super hard advanced katanaias

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their current spoken language has separate forms for formal conversation and casual conversation, and also for men and for women.  Historically, their written language was also split along those lines, creating a system where men were taught one 'alphabet', and women were taught another 'alphabet'.  I think it was in the late 1800s or early 1900s that their government realized they had to simplify their 'alphabet' in order to make use of modern forms of written communication ('hunt and peck' on a typewriter with hundreds of keys, would be a very slow process, for example).  Many characters are now considered 'archaic' and not commonly used, but are taught in higher education, due to the need to be able to read historic documents.

Imagine going to DC and making the rounds of the museums, then seeing the Declaration of Independence and thinking that you need to send a brief thankyou note to your college professor, since it was his class that allowed you to read the entire document and fully understand what was intended by the author.

It's not difficult to see why a person might decide they want to learn how to speak and write Japanese, then not long after they start the process, say "screw that. the spoken language is enough of a challenge."
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji.

Hiragana is the traditional Japanese alphabet and is used to denote japanese words.

Katakana has the same phonetics as hiragana but is used to denote borrowed or approximate english words.

Kanji is a logographic alphabet meaning that each character has its own meaning. There are over 70,000 kanji characters but the 2000 most common are called Jooyo Kanji and that is all you need to read a newspaper. The average Japanese student will graduate Highschool knowing about 3000 kanji.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Already know Japanese. But, I was rusty
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

No joke. What phonetic conjugation system and even words you use depend on how higher/lower the person you are talking to. As an example: when the emperor of Japan broadcasted the announcement of surrender in WW2 to the Japanese people, only a handful (relatively speaking) could understand what he was saying
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hiragana is the traditional Japanese alphabet and is used to denote japanese words.

Katakana has the same phonetics as hiragana but is used to denote borrowed or approximate english words.

Kanji is a logographic alphabet meaning that each character has its own meaning. There are over 70,000 kanji characters but the 2000 most common are called Jooyo Kanji and that is all you need to read a newspaper. The average Japanese student will graduate Highschool knowing about 3000 kanji.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems my memory dropped a zero or two off of the numbers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Ok, a few corrections here.

Quoted:

Their current spoken language has separate forms for formal conversation and casual conversation, and also for men and for women.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Their current spoken language has separate forms for formal conversation and casual conversation, and also for men and for women.  

The formal vs casual is called Keigo and has varying degrees depending on the status of both participants. It is extremely hard to learn and even many japanese people do not know all of the degrees. As for spoken languages both genders speak the same language however women used the lower Keigo and always addressed all men as their superiors.

Historically, their written language was also split along those lines, creating a system where men were taught one 'alphabet', and women were taught another 'alphabet'.

That is kind of right as men typically learned chinese up until the late Heian era, women were not allowed to learn chinese at those times so they learned the traditional hiragana alphabet and wrote solely in japanese (which was partially adapted chinese characters anyway). So it was normal for women to write in japanese and men to write in chinese at the time. During the early Kamakura era katakana and hiragana really took root and many chinese characters were being adopted into the more abbreviated Kanji. This all happened around the 1000-1100 AD time period.

I think it was in the late 1800s or early 1900s that their government realized they had to simplify their 'alphabet' in order to make use of modern forms of written communication.  Many characters are now considered 'archaic' and not commonly used, but are taught in higher education, due to the need to be able to read historic documents.

That isn't quite true. What you are talking about is the formation of Joyo in 1923, which was essentially created to be able to effectively make a standardized list of kanji that everyone in the country was to know as up until then what kanji you were taught was kind of localized. The idea was also that all news, reports, textbooks, and other written media would solely use joyo kanji. This list has changed a bit over the last century but is mostly still in tact. All of the other kanji still exist, they just aren't commonly used. The average japanese person knows about 4,000-5,000 of the 70,000+ kanji.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Seems my memory dropped a zero or two off of the numbers.
View Quote

No worries man, I love this stuff and study Japanese history which is BONKERS when you start learning everything from the Jomon up to the edo era.

ETA: Also I sadly have to point out that I knew all of that off the top of my head. Fucking Weeb....
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=proylafJBGk

The only Japanese teacher I'll ever need.
View Quote

Long live Filthy Frank!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top