Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/27/2020 9:42:14 AM EDT
Yes this thread might seem like deja vu to some of you. But lets be honest the first one was half ass a joke that happened to turn out.

Ill be incorporating some things Ive learned alone the way. I now have much better equipment to work with as well as more experience which should land a better overall product.

This however does mean the old 53 is going to be getting the axe for its guts

So here we go. Lets build a new and refined HK53 and of course in the best caliber for the barrel length, 7.62x35mm.

Starting off with a HKparts flat(waited forever for RTG to get their 33 flats in and no dice ).

The HKparts flat lacks a top rib and some ribs around the trunion area which looks off if you know what youre looking at. But that is what it is. I believe this time around I will be adding a top pic rail to cover up the missing top rib. More on that later.

Gave it to a local buddy who just started doing up some laser stuff(funny note, the original 53 I did the engraver put the info on the wrong sides.) But anyways my buddy nailed it. Looks straight and perfect, and also got the info on the right sides

Next up is for some bendy action which I completed this weekend. Now its likely due from a lack of experience the first time, but I had a hell of a time getting the BCG to fit the receiver. On the original 53 the interior looked pretty ugly once the BCG fit due to inexperience.

Not so much this time however. I bent it up. The bolt carrier fit pretty tight. Few convincing blows with a hammer and a thicker rod to add some clearance and now the BCG slides like glass.

One big improvement I wanted to add in was the correct rear weldment. It looks like this and is a TON beefier than the simple weldment the flat includes

Flat weldment

Correct weldment

I welded the rear weldment in. The heat got to it a bit and shifted forward a bit but I dont believe itll be a issue as they undersized a good bit for this exact reason. I may not be the best welder out there but these welds are light years ahead of the original 53 I did.

More to come

Edited to add completed pic

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
IN!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]
ost
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Good luck, we're all counting on you - Airplane
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah I forgot one pic

Rear of the magazine well weld

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
M. Bison "Yes Yes!" Widescreen HD reupload
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn, that's cold.  I'm sure that I or some other ARFCOMmer could have been convinced to give it a home!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is the direction I believe Im going to roll on the top rib fiasco

Ill forgo the mounting lug and instead install a 15 slot Pic rail on top, which honestly doesn't look super out of place.

Pic shamelessly stolen from Dakota Tactical who builds up some super fine Gucci roller lockeds. If youre in the market Id certainly check his stuff out.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn, that's cold.  I'm sure that I or some other ARFCOMmer could have been convinced to give it a home!
View Quote

Yeah its going to be a little sad honestly.

The only problem with that is I need the guts out of it. Plus theres the whole liability angle with a gun built up by me. Lol especially THAT gun
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The only problem with that is I need the guts out of it. Plus theres the whole liability angle with a gun built up by me. Lol especially THAT gun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I know, but still...
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#12]

For sure. It performed well and its successful operation is what led me here today. Had I failed and the gun hadn't of worked Im not sure I would have tried any other HK building

Ill be saving the magwell for nostalgia. It certainly holds a special place.

That said it also deserves to be done up right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks great so far, this is something I would like to do in the future. I just need to meet a local HK builder that could give some pointers.

Pretty sure I could do one. I was a good welder back in the day but never did it for a living.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking great dude
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looking great dude
View Quote

Seconded.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#16]
RIP the old 53.

Send me the parts for disposal
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Chase

You got me started on HK builds with the Cetme 45 that you built. I built one after seeing yours. I still don't have that working 100% but I did get it it cycle 3 rds in a row once. I put it aside for now.

Here is what I have been working on the last few weeks.

Its a HK51 based on a cetme kit. Used a ORF flat and a bulged cetme barrel that I cut down and threaded M15x1. This was the first time threading on my lathe and it turned out great. All that is left to do it to finish the cocking tube, then shorten the carrier. Your welding looks really great. What  welder are you using?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like an awesome build. Can’t wait to see the finished product moneyshot.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Your welding is improving.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#20]
So in on this!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Tagging another build thread. Bonus points for Dremel use if you show your work!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Chase

You got me started on HK builds with the Cetme 45 that you built. I built one after seeing yours. I still don't have that working 100% but I did get it it cycle 3 rds in a row once. I put it aside for now.

Here is what I have been working on the last few weeks.

https://i.imgur.com/oBTTKgT.jpg

Its a HK51 based on a cetme kit. Used a ORF flat and a bulged cetme barrel that I cut down and threaded M15x1. This was the first time threading on my lathe and it turned out great. All that is left to do it to finish the cocking tube, then shorten the carrier. Your welding looks really great. What  welder are you using?
View Quote

Im not sure very many dudes got those 45 builds running. I got it to where it would eject a empty but not retract far enough to pick up a new one. I also put it aside as I was tired of killing .45 acp trying to make it work

New gun youre building looks good!

AHP alpha tig 200x is the welder Im using
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tagging another build thread. Bonus points for Dremel use if you show your work!
View Quote

Dremel is one of the big tools I use building these guns . Any cutting, cleaning, polishing etc is done with a Dremel on my builds

Id wager the big time dudes do as well. But maybe not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dremel is one of the big tools I use building these guns . Any cutting, cleaning, polishing etc is done with a Dremel on my builds

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use my dremel so much the switch is worn out. I also find this useful: https://www.harborfreight.com/53-Amp-12-in-Heavy-Duty-Bandfile-Belt-Sander-62863.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Tagscribed cause I wanna do this
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh hell yes

side question, I've never shot 300blk, so why 300blk instead of 5.56? Do the normal HK mags work well with 300?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Tagged because I wish I could do this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh hell yes

side question, I've never shot 300blk, so why 300blk instead of 5.56? Do the normal HK mags work well with 300?
View Quote

Because the barrel length namely

5.56mm out of a 8" barrel is kinda anemic imho.

300 on the other hand really shines out of a 8" barrel. A 110gr 30 cal bullet should reach around 2200 FPS. Increased barrier performance. Increased ballistic performance. List goes on.

The fact its pretty quiet with subs is more of a plus for kicks ang gigs.

I have to load the thick sub rounds kinda short, but nope it performs well with subs and supers.

Its lastly kind of a hat tip to the original assault rifle, the STG44. The 7.92 Kurz and 300 blackout are very similar rounds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Because the barrel length namely

5.56mm out of a 8" barrel is kinda anemic imho.

300 on the other hand really shines out of a 8" barrel. A 110gr 30 cal bullet should reach around 2200 FPS. Increased barrier performance. Increased ballistic performance. List goes on.

The fact its pretty quiet with subs is more of a plus for kicks ang gigs.

I have to load the thick sub rounds kinda short, but nope it performs well with subs and supers.

Its lastly kind of a hat tip to the original assault rifle, the STG44. The 7.92 Kurz and 300 blackout are very similar rounds.
View Quote

Okay I'm all in now
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#31]
En!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Following
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#35]
anyone have some hi res wallpapers of the 53 or 33 or 93?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#36]
As soon as I saw the title I knew it was you...

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I really need to not watch this thread, as I want a 53 in 300 blk so badly. Now if I could find parts kits for not my left nut it would be different.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I really need to not watch this thread, as I want a 53 in 300 blk so badly. Now if I could find parts kits for not my left nut it would be different.
View Quote

Removing them increases yer chance of surviving the wuflu.  And you get a cool gun.  Win-win!  
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#39]
This will be fun to compare for later, and also one of the large reasons I want to redo this thing.

But 2ish years ago I MIG'd this thing together. I didnt know much about welding then(still dont know a ton) but I would lay a tac down here and there and that was that.

After some Dremel action this is the best I could come up with back then.

Even after being completely welded terribly together it still held up

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#41]
chase, my friend,  that is ugly.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep

Every time I pick it up I chuckle a bit

That's why shes getting done up again.

Also with the info on the correct sides. Among other numerous 'upgrades' I want to incorporate after Ive learned more
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This will be fun to compare for later, and also one of the large reasons I want to redo this thing.

But 2ish years ago I MIG'd this thing together. I didnt know much about welding then(still dont know a ton) but I would lay a tac down here and there and that was that.

After some Dremel action this is the best I could come up with back then.

Even after being completely welded terribly together it still held up

https://i.imgur.com/dqfDb3oh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YOfbeO0h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8Wzi788h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yXf687Mh.jpg
View Quote

Are you Pakistani?  

But seriously, ZFG.  I think it's cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#44]
HK mag dump during the night shoot @ big sandy Mar 2010
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are you Pakistani?  

But seriously, ZFG.  I think it's cool.
View Quote

Lol yeah shes a rough duck.

The magic isn't making these things work. The magic is making them look nice.

I doubt Ill ever pop out one equal to the big players in the game. But this one is certainly on track for being my nicest built one.

Im really happy with how my SD came out last year too. A TIG welder and some time on it certainly made all the difference in the world. Certainly not picture perfect but theres no serious eye gouging going on like the pics above

I pimp my shit out on FB too. Some random welder gave me so much shit for the 300 and MP5 I did up with a MIG that I ended up buying a TIG over it lol. I went over the MP5 and it mostly looks good. Its got that slight apocalyptic grunge to it though. Its interesting enough to not want to redo. But man the 300 needed it
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Sold my full auto.  That thing was fun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I laughed way too much at that....

IN!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Lmao I feel like I'm putting down my damn dog right now

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lmao I feel like I'm putting down my damn dog right now

https://i.imgur.com/0fghcLW.jpg
View Quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top