Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/22/2023 11:00:58 AM EDT
I bought my first AR in 95. I got to play in the early stages of GWOT. I had never seen nor heard of lights on rifles. Now it appears not only is it all the rage but it is NECESSARY. I have been told as much and told I should feel bad for having naked ARs. A LEO I can see a rifle light being useful as they'd have the ability to openly expose themselves. To me that's about the only group it makes sense for, short of total social breakdown. Soldiers and insurgents would only draw all eyes on the battlefield were they to bust out white light in the dark. What say you? Are lights on rifles SOP these days?

(I was recently shamed into putting lights on wife and I's rifles. Fricken 500$ for 2 surefires....absolutely insane)
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it sort of depends on what the rifle is being used for.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I voted nice but not needed unless it's your sole defense weapon, that being said I have 5 modlite setups that in total cost $500 ea to outfit.  Light, mount, tailcaps and switches add the fuck up
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#3]
For home defense? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Im going to say, yes, it’s absolutely a necessity.

I had a trespasser at 2am a few years ago, holding a shotgun and flash light sucks. Soon after I had lights on several ar15s, my home defenses SBS, and my ccw. Planning on buying 3-4 more weapon lights this year.

Late at night is bad enough even with street lights etc helping, total blackout in power loss and your damn sure going to be wishing you had weapon lights.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I voted nice but not needed unless it's your sole defense weapon, that being said I have 5 modlite setups that in total cost $500 ea to outfit.  Light, mount, tailcaps and switches add the fuck up
View Quote

That's an opportunity cost of a PSA AR per light set up. Sad face.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Im going to say, yes, it’s absolutely a necessity.

I had a trespasser at 2am a few years ago, holding a shotgun and flash light sucks. Soon after I had lights on several ar15s, my home defenses SBS, and my ccw. Planning on buying 3-4 more weapon lights this year.

Late at night is bad enough even with street lights etc helping, total blackout in power loss and your damn sure going to be wishing you had weapon lights.
View Quote

Real world example which goes far towards convincing me it was $ well spent.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Only if you want to see in the dark and are a poor without nightvision/thermal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#8]
100% on do important shit rifles.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Real world example which goes far towards convincing me it was $ well spent.
View Quote

Easy and solid purchase would be a Streamlight as I have one that's going on 9 yrs old beat to shit works like a champ..........

https://armsunlimited.com/streamlight-protac-hl-x-1000-lumen-rail-mount-weaponlight-w/-remote-switch/
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
It’s good to PID before you shoot, legally and ethically.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, absolutely. Lights on any gun that could/might be used as HD weapon.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Would rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. Main use case is to positively ID a target in bad lighting conditions before you smoke 'em, or if you're dumb enough or unfortunate enough to have to clear a structure. Light discipline in a hostile environment is a very real thing, but not smoking friendlies is a thing too.
Consider that a citizen is most likely to be in or around the home in any real defensive scenario that involves them using a rifle. The "friendlies" are your family. I want a light.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Unless you have some other way of seeing in a dark area, rapidly, then yes I'd consider them essential on an HD rifle.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#15]
For a rifle you might have to fight with 100% necessary.  It’s dark half the day and i dont own night vision.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#16]
If you were given a choice of one to defend yourself in random lighting scenarios which would you choose?
The one with.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes. My go to is a Surefire G2X paired with Arson Machine’s 1” mount. This setup is about $130 total and it works great.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I got my first weapon light experience in 2005 when I was issued an incandescent Surefire for my rifle in the GWOT. I have a weapon light on every defense weapon these days.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely. Even in the daytime indoors can be too dark to see in some locations.

In an HD situation you need to be able to PID your target.

SHTF outdoors I definitely go the NVG/Thermal route and only use white light in very limited situations.

There is tactics on proper use of white lights for indoors and out doors.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I have lights on most of my fighting rifles. IR Illuminators on the really important ones.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got my first weapon light experience in 2005 when I was issued an incandescent Surefire for my rifle in the GWOT. I have a weapon light on every defense weapon these days.
View Quote

I got out in 05 and was never issued one. I have to actively resist becoming a fricken fudd apparently.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Statistically, you will never need a gun. Same could be said about a Weapon light. I have lots of guns and lots of lights lol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#23]
You need some kind of a light if there’s a chance you’ll need to use the rifle in the dark. That’s just common sense.

You can spend $500 on a nice one or you can duct tape a maglite to the handguard, but you need some way to ID your target no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#24]
If the gun is being used for self protection then yes it needs a light on it. You can use a long gun with a handheld light but it is a PITA (BTDT) but it should be mounted if possible
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#25]
If you plan to use it for self defense it should have a high candela light on it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#26]
On a defensive gun yes, on a hunting rifle it's a really bad idea (unless you have a permit or are hunting legal game at night).  
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Given the small size, lightweight, and low cost of perfectly serviceable weapon, lights, I mount them on anything I am likely to get into a gun fight with. For the most part, that means short barrel rifles with a suppressor.

I do not have a light on my concealed carry pistol. I have a full sized pistol with a light, but if I’m ever in a home defense situation, I’m gonna grab a rifle over the pistol.

The great thing about lights and modular rifles. Is that in just a minute or two, I can mount a light on anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
100% on do important shit rifles.
View Quote

I don’t understand how someone could not see the necessity of a light on a fighting gun.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Not necessary as long as you're okay accidentally shooting your kid/neighbor/wife
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Every rifle I own???  No.  But I have one SBR with a light. It's the home defense firearm. And I have used the light a couple times for things that went bump in the night. I think it's sufficient and it was a nice feature to have at the moment.

However, my retired LEO father taught me to always carry a pocket flashlight everywhere I go. I had no idea how useful it would be even during daylight hours. So maybe a duty, patrol, work, etc. rifle needs one?  Hell, I could see where it's necessary. The one on my home SBR has served me well.

To each their own. And depends on the need I suppose. But not every rifle. IMHO that's redundant.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Ib4 emitting is gross
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#32]
You need one gun with a mounted light. Elzetta has some bomb proof designs (fully poted with acrylic lense). Output is a little on the low side but for 200$ you can have a mount and a 500 lumin flashlight that will work great inside. Otherwise get a old led surefire g2.

Personally i use a elzetta bravo with a high low tailcap set to low. 40 lumins is plenty at 1 am in the house. If i need more a slight rotation of the tailcap puts me at full output. Iirc 650

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Just make sure and get a low lumen light with an amber hue less you die from washout.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#34]
sling
optic
light

on all the rifles....

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, they are necessary for the American citizen. We ain't always have the luxury of a team on scene with us, and we don't know what scenario we may find ourselves in, outside of home defense. Even if you rifle is solely an "outdoor" rifle, nv fails, ir fails, and either will result in a white light being needed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#37]
About the only thing I wouldn’t put a light on is a dedicated day-time hunting weapon.

I also don’t have a light on my G42, used for pocket carry around the house.

Beyond that, why would you NOT have a light? Do you somehow live in a world with no potential for night time or unlit structures?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I have utilized mine several times for an alarm at my business (false, thankfully) and a couple of issues at the house. I can't just shoot some kid for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I need 100% target ID.

ETA: I dont have them on every rifle, just primaries. I do have the ability to see in the dark, but that isnt the right tool for the job just yet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think it sort of depends on what the rifle is being used for.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Hahaha. Not only will these goons tell you have to have a light on every rifle, I’ve seen idiots like Chris Costa and the other tier 1 operators say that “one is none, two is one” and they’ll have 3 fuckin lights hooked to a rifle.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#41]
The only time I would fire a rifle at night is around my property, so HD get lights.  Everything else gets fired sunrise to sunset and I'm home after dark.
You can always attach a light if the aliens invade, otherwise it's usually half a pound of dead weight that never gets used.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#42]
All of these arguments about what is "necessary" accessory to a rifle or handgun generally miss the point that one cannot predict the circumstances the firearm might be employed in.  You can try, but more often than not the tack people take when they try is to limit the possibilities and not prepare for multiple possibilities including those one can't imagine.  So when, other than cost, there's essentially no penalty to adding a light, or a sling, or a red dot, but those accessories objectively improve the rifle or handgun's ability to be useful in all possible circumstances, then why not add it and practice the use of it?

That doesn't mean every rifle in the safe needs a light.  But if you have a firearm that it's specific duty is say, home defense, I do not understand why someone would limit the capability of that firearm because they can think of situations it wouldn't be useful in.  Particularly when the cost/performance ratio has never been better than it is today.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#43]
If  you learn to recon by fire, you won't have to waste money on a light.
I kid.  I kid.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes but with a qd mount they're easy to take off with no tools.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#46]
For duty/ home defense style rifles white lights are mandatory.  For range toys, not so much.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#47]
On a home defense rifle? Yes, I consider it a necessity and have a Modlite PLHv2 on mine, and a CD REIN on a backup rifle.

Other stuff, maybe not.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Deer rifle? No
Home defense, homeland defense? Yes
Golf ball launcher? No
Shooting trash rifle? No unless I plan to do that at night then maybe
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m sorry, but it’s just idiotic to suggest that you need a light on every rifle that you own. I own several dozen rifles. And I’m not talking curios and relics either. Virtually all of my rifles have the capacity to mount a light. Virtually all of my lights can be mounted and dismounted without the use of tools. I can even mount a light on my para FAL if the need arises, but I’m not going to leave one on there permanently.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top