Light
Sling
BUIS

are a must have
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Real world example which goes far towards convincing me it was $ well spent.
View Quote

You don't know what's going to happen, ever.  The world has changed recently if you haven't been paying attention. Better to be prepared.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Light on one rifle and one handgun.
Not a necessity IMO but somewhat easily located flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
sling
optic
light

on all the rifles....

- Clint
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]

He can’t. But, his buddy can.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes I have and use lights on all my weapons but I’m not stupid where I’ll give away my position when using them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Better to have and not need than need and not have.
View Quote

Sound advice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes there are countless home defense scenarios where when the shooting started, the dude with the light died.

Now if we are talking about other scenarios, then yes emitting is gay.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes there are countless home defense scenarios where when the shooting started, the dude with the light died.

View Quote

In fairness I was just being snarky because the dude is in full NV mode. I am not using my NV for bumps in the night. I don't believe we are down the road quite that far just yet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve got a light on 1 rifle.
That’s it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’ve got a light on 1 rifle.
That’s it.
View Quote

Then what do you do with your offhand rifle?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I even put one on my shotgun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In fairness I was just being snarky because the dude is in full NV mode. I am not using my NV for bumps in the night. I don't believe we are down the road quite that far just yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soon

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]
It really depends on the intended use(s) of the rifle.  Like, if its just punching targets and occasional hunting no.  If it is home defense/tactical yes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's an opportunity cost of a PSA AR per light set up. Sad face.
View Quote

PSA has done forearms, now ammo..

They need to get into flashlights.  Something better than Chinese (with their 18 modes) and cheaper than SF or Modlite.  It's an aluminum tube with a few springs and an LED.  Wtf.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought my first AR in 95. I got to play in the early stages of GWOT. I had never seen nor heard of lights on rifles. Now it appears not only is it all the rage but it is NECESSARY. I have been told as much and told I should feel bad for having naked ARs. A LEO I can see a rifle light being useful as they'd have the ability to openly expose themselves. To me that's about the only group it makes sense for, short of total social breakdown. Soldiers and insurgents would only draw all eyes on the battlefield were they to bust out white light in the dark. What say you? Are lights on rifles SOP these days?

(I was recently shamed into putting lights on wife and I's rifles. Fricken 500$ for 2 surefires....absolutely insane)
View Quote

Essential for real use weapons, LE will show you how often it is needed, and how much of an improvement it really is, because you are having the rifle out a lot.  

Took me about a month of actual use and exactly one night time hostage situation trying to handle both an AR and a handheld flashlight to decide to purchase my first Surefire weapon light (60 lumens!) and tritium AR sights.  Been in a technology race ever since.  These days I run a minimum of a 800 lumen light on my serious weapons.  I have been using a weapon light on my main handgun and rifle for the last 25 years at this point.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
My NV rifle has an IR light on it, no white light madness.

My HD 300blk has a white light on it, but it is for use indoors on baddies kicking my bedroom door in, not for house clearing or etc. etc. Walter Mitty shit that GD comes up with.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Home defense AR, yes. Out in the woods AR, no.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have NV I guess it would be extraneous.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#21]
When I first got into AR's, I use think the same thing. Maybe legit for Mil and/or LEO but a total poser thing for Civies

Quoted:
short of total social breakdown.
View Quote
Then Katina happened and that woke me up. Now I have a WML on any firearm I have and might use for SD. Civil unrest is a thing an usually comes with little warning. If nothing else, it fails into the rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it category.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]

I so want this in my life is it really a thing??
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think it sort of depends on what the rifle is being used for.
View Quote

This seems to be common sense to me. None of my Retro or plinker guns have lights.

HD/SD guns have them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#24]
A few years ago I took a low light shooting class. We used weapon mounted and hand-held lights, on both pistols and rifles.

You can use a hand held flashlight while shooting a rifle, and it isn't as difficult as it might seem. Weapon mounted is still preferable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in the country so for my purposes yes.  I don't need them to be wiz bang tactical either.  I just need to see if I am shooting at a dog in the goat pen or a goat.  A few Surefire G2s in some offset mounts is all I need.  

When I went to Iraq all of us were issued weapon lights.  Big fucking Surefire things, that just made the rifle more awkward than anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A few years ago I took a low light shooting class. We used weapon mounted and hand-held lights, on both pistols and rifles.

You can use a hand held flashlight while shooting a rifle, and it isn't as difficult as it might seem. Weapon mounted is still preferable.
View Quote

Hell we used to use the long assed D cell Maglights with our M16s.  Unwieldy but it worked.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Light on my HD AR
Light on wife’s AR
Light on wife’s carry pistol
Light on my “killing the raccoons in the chicken coop at midnight” .22 AR
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think it sort of depends on what the ruhifle is being used for.
View Quote

This. Something, something, mission driving gear something...
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#29]
In daylight, not so much.
If you go out at night or in a dark building they come in handy.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I’d dare say a rifle light is even more important than a pistol light.

I don’t own any long guns without one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Light
Sling
BUIS

are a must have
View Quote

What about a RDS?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think it sort of depends on what the rifle is being used for.
View Quote

Yup. Mine go-to AR is to repel assholes inside my apartment. A light isn't a meaningful amount of weight, and it can really make a difference in target identification.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Seeing what you are shooting is important...so yes, lights are needed.  They are primarily for indoor use.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I do not have a light on my concealed carry pistol.
View Quote

Then you are wrong.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Light
Sling
BUIS

are a must have
View Quote

Light and sling are 100% mandatory.

Either a red dot or irons are 100% mandatory.

BUIS is not necessary as long as you're using a proven optic.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Necessity is determined by purpose of the tool in question. What's the rifle going to be used for?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

PSA has done forearms, now ammo..

They need to get into flashlights.  Something better than Chinese (with their 18 modes) and cheaper than SF or Modlite.  It's an aluminum tube with a few springs and an LED.  Wtf.
View Quote

A Streamlight costs what, less than $150 with a pic mount and pressure pad? Done.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#39]
If the rifle is only for range use...doubt it. Work or self-defense purposes? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's an opportunity cost of a PSA AR per light set up. Sad face.
View Quote

One properly setup and equipped rifle is worth way more than however many equivalent budget PSA rifles.

I'm down to 2 556 ARs.

My 13.9" Do-all (Criterion barrel, G SSF trigger, A5 buffer, griffin explorr silencer, DBAL A2, TA33/holosun, arisaka light)
16" Precision (Krieger barrel/JP matched bolt, Gucci ADM receiver set, Sig 3-18x)

And yes it needs a light on it if you plan to do anything than shoot targets during the day time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Not going to eradicate many dillos w/o a light...
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Surefire or stream light led with 18650 battery in a scope ring on a piece of rail. Not that expensive and works very well. $100
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
100% on do important shit rifles.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Absolutely yes!  Target ID is imperative. Clone correctness is a thing too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Firmly in the have it and not need it camp.

Surefire G2X's for $70 and change all day long. Plus a good mount, $30+- .
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#46]
For a range toy, not necessary, but required on a home defense rifle.  Doesn't have to be expensive either.  I use a Surefire G2X Tactical in a $20 mount I found on amazon that works a lot better than it should, just make sure to loctite the screws.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you have NV I guess it would be extraneous.
View Quote

I still have a white light on my rifle that has an IR laser/illuminator. If I need white light I need it now.

ETA: here's a SEAL from another thread with NODs on his nugget, an IR laser/illuminator on his gat, and WML. Even if in the boonies with little ambient light, if manmade light starts getting used you might need your own white light to deal with autogated tubes and/or photonic barriers.

Post #37 on pg3
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Easy and solid purchase would be a Streamlight as I have one that's going on 9 yrs old beat to shit works like a champ..........

https://armsunlimited.com/streamlight-protac-hl-x-1000-lumen-rail-mount-weaponlight-w/-remote-switch/
View Quote

Is that company good to go? Arms Unlimited?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy and solid purchase would be a Streamlight as I have one that's going on 9 yrs old beat to shit works like a champ..........

https://armsunlimited.com/streamlight-protac-hl-x-1000-lumen-rail-mount-weaponlight-w/-remote-switch/

Yup, both are legit
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Only if you want to see in the dark and are a poor without nightvision/thermal.
View Quote

Interdiction of trespassers without express intent to eliminate them would tend to favor white light as well as IR if available. Hard to intimidate into compliance if they can't see that you're not bluffing imo. Sure you found and got a drop on them with nods but now what?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top