BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have NV I guess it would be extraneous.
View Quote

Still needed then
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Early GWOT and you didn't have lights? I remember deploying on a MEU before Iraq kicked off. Our command offered up an award to whoever came up with a way to attach lights to our A2's first. The winner? Plumbers tape, a small bolt and a AA maglight. Later we were issued a 4 cell AA plastic crap light but by then everyone had a Surefire of some sort though most were handhelds. I still have mine somewhere with a weaver scope ring I used to attach it to my A4.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Early GWOT and you didn't have lights? I remember deploying on a MEU before Iraq kicked off. Our command offered up an award to whoever came up with a way to attach lights to our A2's first. The winner? Plumbers tape, a small bolt and a AA maglight. Later we were isshandheld. cell AA plastic crap light but by then everyone had a Surefire of some sort though most were handhelds. I still have mine somewhere with a weaver scope ring I used to attach it to my A4.
View Quote

No lights we did everything in the dark. We weren't nasty girls from AL either this was an inf bn in the first stryker bde to deploy. We had the latest and greatest but white light was never used.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is that company good to go? Arms Unlimited?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy and solid purchase would be a Streamlight as I have one that's going on 9 yrs old beat to shit works like a champ..........

https://armsunlimited.com/streamlight-protac-hl-x-1000-lumen-rail-mount-weaponlight-w/-remote-switch/

Is that company good to go? Arms Unlimited?

Both are good, have the light and have bought from the store numerous times.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think it sort of depends on what the rifle is being used for.
View Quote

FPNI

I have a light on my HD AR - Why?  Positive target ID in less than optimal lighting!  But I don't have one on my single-shot target rifle

I also have a light on my HD Shotgun for the same reason.  I certainly don't have one on my field shotgun,  pretty sure fish cops would NOT be entertained!
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For home defense? Absolutely.
View Quote

This...and you want the 100 million candle power spot light that turns night into the surface of the sun instantly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

And a sling. I have slings on every rifle except the .22's and am working on that. To be fair I just got the second mount and have not fired the .44 with it yet. Also I took the sling off a while back to remove the stock and can't find it.
18650 Streamlight Polytacs in Odin Works mount. Supposedly 600 lumens with 2x123cr's, probably like 500 with the 18650. Plenty bright for me.

Edit- I also carry an 18650 light, a Wowtac (Thrunite line) A6 and have a 1aaa light, an Olight i3e, on my key chain. I also have a Thrunite TN12 clipped onto my day bag and another A6 and a Thrunite 26500 light in my car. I have lights and batteries everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
its required for anything you will be using in the dark; even with NODs and IR.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Why would I want a light on my rifle?

It’s only dark half the day on average.

Plus I have think bad stuff only happens during the day because tweakers like to get a full nights sleep.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You're not stupid for asking, but yeah you need one if its for anything other than bench or competition
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell yes, one of my regular practical shooting venues always has a dark stage, rifle and/or pistol..
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
This is the only firearm I own that does not have a light attached.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No lights we did everything in the dark. We weren't nasty girls from AL either this was an inf bn in the first stryker bde to deploy. We had the latest and greatest but white light was never used.
View Quote

Fall of 2003 from Ft. Lewis?  If so I was right there with ya but I was newly turned Nasty Girl from MS...................
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fall of 2003 from Ft. Lewis?  If so I was right there with ya but I was newly turned Nasty Girl from MS...................
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you the guys w the up armored dump trucks running around Mosul? :)
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I got out in 05 and was never issued one. I have to actively resist becoming a fricken fudd apparently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got my first weapon light experience in 2005 when I was issued an incandescent Surefire for my rifle in the GWOT. I have a weapon light on every defense weapon these days.

I got out in 05 and was never issued one. I have to actively resist becoming a fricken fudd apparently.

I was putting a light on my rifle in the late eighties. Some kind of waterproof light. I don't remember who made it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are going into a situation where there is no or little light yes.  Camo painted up waiting in an L shaped ambush then no.  You can always use a hand held light when needed but it will cause other issues with weapons handling.  I use smaller pistol light size fairly inexpensive sig lights and they work just fine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Until bionic eyeballs are a thing, yes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
How else do you find your Cheetos at night?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
If you ever intend to employ the rifle in a real defensive role during the hours of darkness, yes.  

Even better is NV, but that’s a whole different conversation if you’re upset about $500 on weaponlights.

Bottom line, if you don’t have the knowledge, get some training.  The inexperienced always throw out the “you’re like a lighthouse with a weaponlight, they’ll know exactly where to shoot!” line.  It’s accurate if you’re a total fucking moron.  

ETA:  Even better, find somewhere that offers FOF training with UTM/Sims or even airsoft.  A lot of tactical theory doesn’t make much sense in the classroom or while practicing by yourself on a one way range.  Going up against someone trying to “kill” you is where a lot of stuff begins to click, IME.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mosul? You take over the airport by chance?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Early GWOT and you didn't have lights? I remember deploying on a MEU before Iraq kicked off. Our command offered up an award to whoever came up with a way to attach lights to our A2's first. The winner? Plumbers tape, a small bolt and a AA maglight. Later we were issued a 4 cell AA plastic crap light but by then everyone had a Surefire of some sort though most were handhelds. I still have mine somewhere with a weaver scope ring I used to attach it to my A4.
View Quote

Think we saw our first weapon lights (rubber body Streamights) at Bragg around 99-00.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you have NV I guess it would be extraneous.
View Quote

If you want to die, then yes, it’s extraneous.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Think we saw our first weapon lights (rubber body Streamights) at Bragg around 99-00.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Scorpian, I went through a few of those.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree most problems are going to happen in the dark
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct answer. And maybe not necessary, I can fight with a stock rifle with iron sights, but it sure is a nice feature if you are goblin hunting. I think it's more important than a RDS personally. Keeps your focus out in front of the rifle and really pops your iron sights.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No we were on Merez.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No we were on Merez.
View Quote

Oh, I see. I was on the BLT that took the airfield in 2003. Thought it might have been you that relived us.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#29]
If it's for defense yes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
All of these arguments about what is "necessary" accessory to a rifle or handgun generally miss the point that one cannot predict the circumstances the firearm might be employed in.  You can try, but more often than not the tack people take when they try is to limit the possibilities and not prepare for multiple possibilities including those one can't imagine.  So when, other than cost, there's essentially no penalty to adding a light, or a sling, or a red dot, but those accessories objectively improve the rifle or handgun's ability to be useful in all possible circumstances, then why not add it and practice the use of it?

That doesn't mean every rifle in the safe needs a light.  But if you have a firearm that it's specific duty is say, home defense, I do not understand why someone would limit the capability of that firearm because they can think of situations it wouldn't be useful in.  Particularly when the cost/performance ratio has never been better than it is today.
View Quote

Yep. Just the other day I was in some unexpected circumstances the required me to break my rifle down into a backpack before I got to FFP. A light could have wrecked everything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys replaced us (1/327 of the 101st) south of Mosul in 2004 and there were plenty of WMLs in IZ before you guys showed up, haha.

ETA: you guys all had tomahawks though. Guess tomahawks help you see in dark spaces?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Gross no.

Fusion.
View Quote

Until your shit fails.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Like others have already said.
Range toy- no
Serious use- good to have if you want your rifle to be useful for more than 12 hrs a day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

HD?  Unquestionably yes.
LARP, collection?  Only if you really want then.
Hunting?  Unless it's part of an IR/NOD setup, then no.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit we had the scrap tin and 2x4's for armor on Dueces and 5 ton wreckers of course lol we were a maintenance company attached to ya'll..............Good shit
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

LSA Diamondback was already setup by 101st and was just a strip a few barrack and fucking chain link fence......................
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice to have on a defensive rifle in town. My house and street came with lights, so it's not a necessity. YMMV.

Just extra weight and in the way on a range toy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Not necessary at all.  
You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#43]
On my rifle for property protection, it is necessary. It is stupid bright, and if I have to go out on my property to check on things, it is priceless to be able to illuminate a large area out to a good distance.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got my first weapon light experience in 2005 when I was issued an incandescent Surefire for my rifle in the GWOT. I have a weapon light on every defense weapon these days.

I went in in 04, and we had Surefires on our M4s and A4s in 1-9 Inf. I remember buying some light, it might have been a Gerber, from Ranger Joe's before my second deployment in 08. It had a rotating lens set - white, red and IR. Got a lot of use out of the IR filter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#45]
You need one on your HD weapon and should have a backup on your backup/training weapon. Past that, you should buy thermal, then NODs. Hunting rifles, range toys, etc. don't need em. Buy two so you've got a spare, you can swap them between rifes if needed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
100% on do important shit rifles.
View Quote

All do important shit rifles have at minimum a sling, an optic (and buis) and a light.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not necessary at all.  
You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs.
View Quote

I'm actually binging those movies now, almost done with #2.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Two nights ago, shit went bump in the night.  Loudly.  Twice.  Did I grab the LPVO .300AAC SBR quiet rifle with light and silencer? Nope.

I grabbed the 16" middie with light, OTAL, prism optic, chambered in loud 5.56 with no can.

Motherfuckers un-assed themselves post haste.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Truth be told the only time I’ve needed one was dedicated night shoots.

But better to have it and not need it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top