Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#1]
anything that could possibly be used in a fighting situation needs a light. Period.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For duty/ home defense style rifles white lights are mandatory.  For range toys, not so much.  
View Quote

Yup...

If you have a dedicated HD rifle, it's a good idea to have a light on it.

If you have a range toy/safe queen/bbq gun that will never be used in a SHTF/HD situation, then a light is a luxury not needed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
All of my guns that might be used to protect myself have lights, except my deep concealment pistols.

Mostly Streamlights for my pistols, and Surefire for my rifles. I’m slowly upgrading my pistol lights to Surefire.

It goes slowly at 300-400 bucks a pop.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely, along with slings and buis.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought my first AR in 95. I got to play in the early stages of GWOT. I had never seen nor heard of lights on rifles. Now it appears not only is it all the rage but it is NECESSARY. I have been told as much and told I should feel bad for having naked ARs. A LEO I can see a rifle light being useful as they'd have the ability to openly expose themselves. To me that's about the only group it makes sense for, short of total social breakdown. Soldiers and insurgents would only draw all eyes on the battlefield were they to bust out white light in the dark. What say you? Are lights on rifles SOP these days?

(I was recently shamed into putting lights on wife and I's rifles. Fricken 500$ for 2 surefires....absolutely insane)
View Quote

Most gunfights happen in low light. If you plan to use a rifle for self defense, how can you shoot at something in the dark without identifying them first?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Lights are mandatory on serious use rifles. I have rifles without lights but those are range toys or hunting rifles.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To be fair, I heard a similar story about "I was never issued this back in the day" when I was a Pfc back in 2003. I heard it from a Sgt Maj that was talking about how body armor with hard plates aren't really necessary for everyone because they slowed you down, are hot, and he didn't even have hard plates as an infantryman the tail end of Vietnam.

View Quote

It was pretty prevalent in the AF around the same time as well. In security forces.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Most gunfights happen in low light. If you plan to use a rifle for self defense, how can you shoot at something in the dark without identifying them first?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought my first AR in 95. I got to play in the early stages of GWOT. I had never seen nor heard of lights on rifles. Now it appears not only is it all the rage but it is NECESSARY. I have been told as much and told I should feel bad for having naked ARs. A LEO I can see a rifle light being useful as they'd have the ability to openly expose themselves. To me that's about the only group it makes sense for, short of total social breakdown. Soldiers and insurgents would only draw all eyes on the battlefield were they to bust out white light in the dark. What say you? Are lights on rifles SOP these days?

(I was recently shamed into putting lights on wife and I's rifles. Fricken 500$ for 2 surefires....absolutely insane)

Been is several. They were all in daylight. Never saw a fricken bad guy either.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You need some kind of a light if there’s a chance you’ll need to use the rifle in the dark. That’s just common sense.

You can spend $500 on a nice one or you can duct tape a maglite to the handguard, but you need some way to ID your target no matter what.
View Quote

You don't have to spend $500 to get an excellent light.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It was pretty prevalent in the AF around the same time as well. In security forces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, I heard a similar story about "I was never issued this back in the day" when I was a Pfc back in 2003. I heard it from a Sgt Maj that was talking about how body armor with hard plates aren't really necessary for everyone because they slowed you down, are hot, and he didn't even have hard plates as an infantryman the tail end of Vietnam.

I had a G2 duct taped to my SAW back then
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It’s good to PID before you shoot, legally and ethically.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#12]
A flashlight?

All of arfcom has thermal fusion night vision.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

2 flashlights for 500$.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For home defense? Absolutely.
View Quote

This.  Unless it is for hunting or just a fun gun, then you need a light.  You must be able to positively ID your target.  It is also helpful to get some training in how to use the light to maximum advantage in a fight.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For home defense? Absolutely.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need some kind of a light if there’s a chance you’ll need to use the rifle in the dark. That’s just common sense.

You can spend $500 on a nice one or you can duct tape a maglite to the handguard, but you need some way to ID your target no matter what.

The late Pat Rogers used to recommend a Surefire G2 on a Viking Tactics mount as an economical way to add a light to a fighting rifle. Even a newer SF light with more power and the VT mount will set you back a little over a hundred bucks. I use G2X Tacticals.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#17]
It's like an "Electric dog polisher" or a "Football bat".
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I had a G2 duct taped to my SAW back then
View Quote

I did too and was told it wouldn't help me shoot better... I told them itmore about seeing my target at night.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Surefire 6P in a scope ring on the side of the KAC RAS was the low tech solution we used in 01-02 timeframe. Surefire 951s were issued out before Iraq in 03.

I put a light on anything I may need to use in a serious manner. Some get shifted around but others stay put.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Surefire with red lens mounted on one AR with a RD. It's for coyotes on the property trying to snatch our cats.

As far as using it as a HD weapons light? No. I don't like the idea of scanning the property trying to locate intruders. That could make me an easy target. When a light pops off, the person turning it on is the last person to see others, if they live long enough.

I have flood lights i can hit and nobody will know Im somewhere in the shadows fixing to bust a cap in their punk-ass bitch ass.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As far as using it as a HD weapons light? No. I don't like the idea of scanning the property trying to locate intruders. That could make me an easy target. When a light pops off, the person turning it on is the last person to see others, if they live long enough.
View Quote

Who taught you how to fight with a wml?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#22]
As I am apparently an AR fudd I still have old school oval handguards on my main rifle. I ordered a mini rail section and just mounted it then installed flashlight. It is on tight and looks cool (which is the important thing). I am now a member of the light club.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As I am apparently an AR fudd I still have old school oval handguards on my main rifle. I ordered a mini rail section and just mounted it then installed flashlight. It is on tight and looks cool (which is the important thing). I am now a member of the light club.
View Quote

I actually like the 12oclock mounts that bolt on through the holes. Very simple solution that works really well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#24]
It depends. If you’re a LEO and are trained to shoot with a flashlight, no. For my HD SBR, yes it works for me
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I actually like the 12oclock mounts that bolt on through the holes. Very simple solution that works really well.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#26]
My unsolicited 2 cents opinion the short answer is yes if you are doing home defense or CQB ,in the latter case DBAls and Nods are deriguer.For those without  a white light is very useful and necessary
My only observation over the years is do not over power the the light 350 to 500 is a plenty in CQB or you can wash your own eyes from the reflection
Just saying
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Home defense, almost a necessity.

Urban combat, even with NODs, necessary.

Rural combat stuff equipped with NODs/thermal, not so necessary.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hahaha. Not only will these goons tell you have to have a light on every rifle, I’ve seen idiots like Chris Costa and the other tier 1 operators say that “one is none, two is one” and they’ll have 3 fuckin lights hooked to a rifle.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1.-PWS-Diablo-with-Lots-of-Lasers-1024x683.jpg
View Quote

That was Travis Haley circa 2006, back when he was simplydynamic inc..  If I can find a picture of the rifle he was running in Hawaii I'll post it, two white lights on the left side with push button tailcaps.  I haven't seen the 2 light thing pushed by anyone in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Deer rifle? No
Home defense, homeland defense? Yes
Golf ball launcher? No
Shooting trash rifle? No unless I plan to do that at night then maybe
View Quote

Honestly, I would have one on a deer gun if I was using something I could readily mount a light on.  Back when I did hunt, running into trespassers while armed with only a muzzleloader wasn't a fun experience.  Now with meth common in the area, I'd want something to deal with people on the way in/out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#30]
95% of the time, yes.

When 100 grunts are on the move all night through dense brush, they all have NODs, and every kilometer some nitwit  gets hung up on something and has an accidental discharge of his flashlight, then no.  You are better off without them.

The rest of the time, sure. Home defense, a necessity.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
95% of the time, yes.

When 100 grunts are on the move all night through dense brush, they all have NODs, and every kilometer some nitwit  gets hung up on something and has an accidental discharge of his flashlight, then no.  You are better off without them.

View Quote

Funny you mention that. That was my first argument against. I'd be sneaking up in the dark and accidently hit my light and all eyes turn my way...I ordered light covers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That was Travis Haley circa 2006, back when he was simplydynamic inc..  If I can find a picture of the rifle he was running in Hawaii I'll post it, two white lights on the left side with push button tailcaps.  I haven't seen the 2 light thing pushed by anyone in a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hahaha. Not only will these goons tell you have to have a light on every rifle, I’ve seen idiots like Chris Costa and the other tier 1 operators say that “one is none, two is one” and they’ll have 3 fuckin lights hooked to a rifle.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1.-PWS-Diablo-with-Lots-of-Lasers-1024x683.jpg

I think I remember an arfcommer saying he used a second, low power red light for walking at night. A Fenix E01 (11 lumen battery vampire) with a Carmex cap is a pretty good low light light, might be an idea. ??
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Funny you mention that. That was my first argument against. I'd be sneaking up in the dark and accidently hit my light and all eyes turn my way...I ordered light covers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
95% of the time, yes.

Training/practice is a helluva drug. White light NDS are pretty tough if using a dedicated light, not a white/IR with twist bezel or lens filter, and a tailcap push button. On my rifles the IR laser/illuminator is activated via the button(s) on the unit, or a remote tape switch if I’m using separate laser/illuminator, but the white lights are only activated by push button tailcaps to avoid accidental tape switch or remote button activation.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are responsible for identifying anything you shoot at prior to pulling the trigger, both legally and ethically, so yes, all defensive arms should have a white light.

An argument can be made that CCW pistols can rely on the handheld light that you should also have, but when it comes to rifles or shotguns it is extremely difficult to operate a handheld light and the long gun together and therefore all defensive long guns should have a mounted white light.

Now if you're talking about a hunting rifle, sport shotgun, plinking rifle, etc that's different.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

IWC also makes a solution for that
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody. Just rely on common sense.

I'm not competely anti-light. My serious outdoor AR has a Surefire mounted on it that I wish were brighter, blinding, but the only time I'm going to turn it on is after I've located a possible threat. I'm too old to LARP and play hide and seek in the dark, popping my light off and on looking for a threat.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Every time I had to clear a house while searching for food during the last zombie apocalypse, I was happy I had a light on my rifle.  So yes!
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#38]
PSA has massive deal on Surefire scout pros.

$200ish with coupon code “M640”!

LFG!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Owner passed and website closed. I looked but can't find those mounts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's an opportunity cost of a PSA AR per light set up. Sad face.
View Quote

I got 6 different 5 Olight WMLs ,  for less than that.... they are quite bright, and have strobe, low and high beams a couple with green dots too. Some cr123a and others rechargable. 2 are the Turbo model using LEP lighting and these have a very focused small area  beam
Each/all seem to  fill my needs just fine. And can outfit  all my Ars, and a couple other guns. Do have a Streamlight on my shotgun. The built in the pump stock one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#41]
You never know when the range toy is needed fir the mid-term primary
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#42]
People saying "get thermal" or "get NODs"...yes, but this application is different.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 1:42:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Know your target and what's beyond it. At the best part of the year you have 12+hrs of daylight, so it's still dark about half the time. You can't effectively or safely use your tool without it. If it's not a tool, no need. If it's a tool, have one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#44]
With nv/ therm, rifle lights are the bayonets of the 21st century.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#45]
It's the same bullshit as weddings or cooking

1) keeping up with the Joneses, continual "raising" of
the bar. Whatever, as long as it costs more, otherwise it's your funeral/gauche. "Dude this is a wagyu meatball
sandwich" "you need to learn how to pirouette through a
building to clear it, at least 5 classes at $2k each, nods and wml, defensive driving in case it's Michael Meyers and he gets in a car and chases your family"

2) the amplifying power of the internet
All of the sudden leaving meat on the counter for more than a hour is a death sentence. Raw eggs and flour,
might as well jump off a skyscraper. Connecting the donee negative to the negative battery post while jumping means the battery is going to explode

There's very reasonable arguments for it, but people take it too far, like the above
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LFG!!!!!

View Quote

Sweet!

One on the way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#47]
For a home defense rifle it’s best to have one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LFG!!!!!

View Quote

That is a damn good deal.

Quoted:
People saying "get thermal" or "get NODs"...yes, but this application is different.
View Quote

Different tools for different jobs and you can't predict the future.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LFG!!!!!

View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up two more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

LFG!!!!!

View Quote

PSA got me again
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top