User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's an opportunity cost of a PSA AR per light set up. Sad face.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I voted nice but not needed unless it's your sole defense weapon, that being said I have 5 modlite setups that in total cost $500 ea to outfit.  Light, mount, tailcaps and switches add the fuck up

That's an opportunity cost of a PSA AR per light set up. Sad face.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For duty/ home defense style rifles white lights are mandatory.  For range toys, not so much.  
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, at least you weren’t shamed into night vision.  That’s a way bigger savings
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

PSA got me again
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PSA has massive deal on Surefire scout pros.

$200ish with coupon code “M640”!

LFG!!!!!

PSA got me again

My two arrived yesterday
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Only if you want to see in the dark
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been convinced of the necessity of lights and powered optics for night use from a couple of instances;

1. The bear trying to snack on the chickens, battery in elcan was dead so couldn't see the reticle, hit the streamlight rm1 and then the etched reticle worked. The light alone scared the bear off.

2. The coyotes and the same chickens, had a dot on this time, and the light gave me info on background for shooting so I didn't launch shit into neighbors, shed, barn, cars ect.

3. Night time ATV trespassers, the light told them everything they needed to know, they promptly left in a hurry.

I have been using streamlights for a long time, and I've yet to break one or have one die, 2 years ago I swapped lamps in my old m3 and m5 with led bulbs to get them into modern times. I can say the lumen/candela wars are overrated. I have a 1k lumen on my handgun, and 300-500 on rifles and they all do the job.

At this point all my serious rifles have a sling, a light and a powered optic be it tridium or battery.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#7]
It's second most important thing next to a sling IMO.

My simplified thought process:  You have a rifle.  Rifles take two hands to use.  If your rifle doesn't have a light, then you have to stop using the rifle to use the flashlight.   This doesn't mean don't have a dedicated flashlight on hand, it just means your primary SD rifle should also have a light.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My simplified thought process:  You have a rifle.  Rifles take two hands to use.  If your rifle doesn't have a light, then you have to stop using the rifle to use the flashlight.   This doesn't mean don't have a dedicated flashlight on hand, it just means your primary SD rifle should also have a light.
View Quote

Not really

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53285/IMG_5932_jpg-2770197.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53285/IMG_5935_jpg-2770199.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53285/IMG_5926__1__jpg-2770201.JPG

What advantage does that confer when compared to a weapon mounted light?
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What advantage does that confer when compared to a weapon mounted light?
View Quote

It doesnt offer any advantage.  When it comes to long guns you need to have the light attached to the weapon for best results but, as shown in the pictures, you can use a long gun with a handheld light if you need to.  Using a handheld light with a carbine was what we were forced to do for the first year we had patrol rifles since the brass refused to ok lights for them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, at least you weren’t shamed into night vision.  That’s a way bigger savings
View Quote

Next and inevitable. That'll be the next thread.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top