Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2022 11:38:26 PM EDT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/boy-went-magnet-fishing-grandpa-230834663.html

Not sure if a dupe so shitpost away if it is!

Sounds like someone was thinking they might come back for these some day? Very good possibility they were stolen. Could they have been stolen from Homestead AFB?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No hot link....no care
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
All I find is junk...but it's a fun way to pass time when the fish are on strike.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No hot link....no care
View Quote

It’s a hot link for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a hot link for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No hot link....no care

It's a hot link for me.
Special  you are

Eta so you fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
They made the mistake of getting the man involved! Now the Federal Bureau of Idiots and Retards and the FAFT will drop by to kill their dogs and molest the children
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish they could have posted a smaller photo in the article you can almost make out a pixel or two.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Special  you are

Eta so you fixed it.
View Quote

Yes, I did fix it but it did work for me before that. That was why I didn’t think I needed to hotlink it.Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Loss lips sink treasure ships
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The South Miami-Dade man said he was concerned that the serial numbers on the lower receivers of the weapons and the bolt of one of the rifles were filed off.
"Whoever did this is not your run-of-the-mill criminal," said Smith, a 61-year-old former Army infantry officer.
View Quote
Filing off serial numbers is run-of-the-mill criminal stuff. lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/boy-went-magnet-fishing-grandpa-230834663.html

Not sure if a dupe so shitpost away if it is!

Sounds like someone was thinking they might come back for these some day? Very good possibility they were stolen. Could they have been stolen from Homestead AFB?
View Quote

Not sure if they could have went with a shittier picture...  doesn't look like a .50
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not sure if they could have went with a shittier picture...  doesn't look like a .50
View Quote

They only found the lower receivers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. Officer Smith is an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Neat. Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Wait a minute...so you're telling me that someone actually had a real boating accident and lost their guns?
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:44:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Probably US military assistance to the Zetas before they turned cartel….
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#17]
should have kept their mouths shut and enjoyed their new Barretts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:47:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
should have kept their mouths shut and enjoyed their new Barretts.
View Quote

This. So fucking dumb.

You could probably salvage then since they were wrapped up
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
That's a nice find.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#20]
How big of a magnet would one need to pull up something like that?

Speaking of "fishing": rumor has it that there are a couple of skid loaders in a local lake that were sunk through the ice as insurance fraud. How would a guy go about searching/locating them and possibly recovering?
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Speaking of "fishing": rumor has it that there are a couple of skid loaders in a local lake that were sunk through the ice as insurance fraud. How would a guy go about searching/locating them and possibly recovering?
View Quote
Article I read said "5lb magnet". But wtf those are the shortest 50cals I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All I find is junk...but it's a fun way to pass time when the fish are on strike.
View Quote

All they found is junk, too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Doesn’t take long for submerged metal to become an unsalvageable lump of rust.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#24]
He said Monday it will likely take the department a while to determine if the weapons were used in a crime.
View Quote

You would figure that it wouldn't be an every day occurrence to find .50 caliber bullet holes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Those .50 most likely belong to the Cocaine Cowboys.

or they are prop guns for Miami Vice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Article I read said "5lb magnet". But wtf those are the shortest 50cals I've ever seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you actually read it then you would have noted the part about it being the lower receivers only.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The South Miami-Dade man said he was concerned that the serial numbers on the lower receivers of the weapons and the bolt of one of the rifles were filed off.
"Whoever did this is not your run-of-the-mill criminal," said Smith, a 61-year-old former Army infantry officer.
Oh no, that's real Lex Luthor level stuff right there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#28]
From that ‘high resolution’ picture, they look more like REC7’s.  With that picture, who knows - they could be the gun from Heat.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Luck-eeee!!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Something tells me we would have known if they had been used in a crime.  When you're swinging a Barret it just may be the first thing described to the police when they show up "It was a big gun. no, bigger.  No bigger.  Nope, even bigger."

Police Detective Christopher Thomas viewed the photo Smith took of his grandson with the guns. He said Monday it will likely take the department a while to determine if the weapons were used in a crime.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a kid doing this? Probably is a 5 lb pull magnet. Or that's the weight of the magnet. Fishers usually use pull weights between 200 - 1500 lbs. (Upper end is rare.) The pull weights are optimal under lab conditions so are considerably less in actual use, unless you drop it near some large flat metal surface.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's a kid doing this? Probably is a 5 lb pull magnet. Or that's the weight of the magnet. Fishers usually use pull weights between 200 - 1500 lbs. (Upper end is rare.) The pull weights are optimal under lab conditions so are considerably less in actual use, unless you drop it near some large flat metal surface.
View Quote

How exactly does one get their 1500 lb. magnet off of something?  I was looking at magnets at Menards and saw a 200 lb. one.  I was confused as to why all the magents weren't stuck together in an impossible to remove jumble.  So I was torn between thinking it was b.s. marketing wank, and the possibility that I would accidentally crush precious parts of myself if I bought one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wait a minute...so you're telling me that someone actually had a real boating accident and lost their guns?
View Quote

It happens a lot to ARFCOM members.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

3 grand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165193995275?hash=item267654540b:g:ht0AAOSwPXdbhFr4

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I wonder how much crap is at the bottom of the lake where I live.  There's probably lots of cell phones by peoples docks that have been dropped in the water.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Ughh, lucky!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Best thing i found was a 1950's PBR can
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Loss lips sink treasure ships
View Quote

Loss lips? Huh.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#41]
SSS, Snag, Store, Shutup.

But I don't blame them wouldn't want to tangle with the criminal masterminds that figured out how to file a serial number off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Serial number defacement is somewhat routine, sure. For a $200 throwdown pistol. But it is not run-of-the-mill to have criminals (or law-abiding folks) throwing away $20,000 worth of guns after filing off the serials though. This isn't like dumping a pawnstore Ruger P89 after a dirtbag-on-dirtbag shooting of one's nicklebag dealer.

Something very well could have been done with these significant enough that made throwing away a couple ten-grand rifles seem like a prudent business decision.
View Quote

This is why I was thinking it was something to do with the Air Base down there. It was an Air Force base but then became an Air Reserve base but all five branches and DHS and Boarder Patrol operate out of there now. If they were stolen from the base, maybe someone didn’t want anyone knowing the origin.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you actually read it then you would have noted the part about it being the lower receivers only.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sometimes run a magnet crane at a scrap yard. The electro-magnet is about 4' diameter and probably weighs a ton. Surprisingly not very powerful on odd shapes like cast iron pipe and manhole rings.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sounds like poor writing by the author, to me. i.e. Smith is talking about the fact that it's a .50bmg with the serial numbers filed off
and possibly used in a crime, not some .25 auto, which is pretty unusual

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go to youtube and search for "Adventures with Purpose" and watch one of their videos for how to find stuff like that.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 grand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165193995275?hash=item267654540b:g:ht0AAOSwPXdbhFr4

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ht0AAOSwPXdbhFr4/s-l1600.jpg

A newer fish finder with sonar or whatever is a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Those are not .50 caliber rifles...
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Everyone that doesn’t think they’re Barrett’s either doesn’t know what 82s look like or is illiterate. Article says that it was just the lowers and it’s clear from the pictures that the article is correct.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Local idiot DJ on the radio this morning said they were 50cal sniper, anti-aircraft machine guns
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top