User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A million or two just isn't what it used to be. Depending on age and a few other factors it may not even be enough to instantly retire on. If you're really smart, and make smart choices then maybe but lord knows I could blow through it pretty damn quick if I wanted to.
View Quote

Pretty much everyone could blow through a million with ease if there are no consequences or future need for the money.The hard part for most is getting to a million.
As for not being what it used to be, I just did a quick search and it showed fewer than 21 million millionaires in America. Less than 10 percent of the population, means it is still relatively uncommon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Depopulation via more lottery wonners?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Point is with a million dollars it is much easier to maintain a nice middle class lifestyle and not need to work much other then being on top of investing your money in the best return investments.
Problem with a lot of lottery winners is they don't understand restraint and investing for long term so they blow the winnings away and spend like they are a billionaire because they are short sighted.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
A jackpot where you walk away with a million isn't the sort of money where you gather an entourage, buy a stable of sports cars, and move into a palace.  A million dollars means your retirement is a little more comfortable and maybe a little earlier.  This amount of money should be used to pay off a mortgage and fold the remainder into your retirement while you continue to work just like nothing happened.  

I only play when the jackpot gets ridiculously high, knowing that I'm basically throwing away $2 on a bit of daydreaming and maybe some water-cooler conversation.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No surprise. A lot people that won the lottery had gone thru the same thing. The curse of the lottery  lives on.
View Quote
No curse,just stupid people making poor decisions and they probably have a long history of the doing so.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Point is with a million dollars it is much easier to maintain a nice middle class lifestyle and not need to work much other then being on top of investing your money in the best return investments.
View Quote

Assuming that you are not already 75 years old, a million dollar fund isn’t shit to live off of for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
As noted, winning the lottery doesn't teach you money management skills.  Most people are worried about the ones asking for help after you win.. It's the ones offering to help that are usually the most dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why can't someone like me win a million after taxes? I would drop it all into index funds, added to what I have invested now and retire for sure. I could easily retire on 1m and not have to change my life much if at all.
View Quote

Because people who are good with money don't play the lottery.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I only play when the jackpot gets ridiculously high, knowing that I'm basically throwing away $2 on a bit of daydreaming and maybe some water-cooler conversation.
View Quote

Years ago a shipmate and I used to buy one about once a week and sit in front of the TV during the drawing and ballyhoo over the hookers, blow and Rolls-Royces we were going to buy and then piss and maon when we didn't win.

It was a fair deal. We got well over a buck's worth of entertainment for a buck.

Actually the BEST lottery story I recall was when some asshole tug mate came on board waving a couple of tickets around babbling how he was going to get rich, quit and retire to someplace.

He put the tickets down for just an instant when he went to the head to pee. That's all it took for the AB to write down one of the ticket numbers.

That afternoon when he got off watch he told the oncoming AB to watch the drawing and write the winning number down on the galley whiteboard.

Of course the AB wrote his ticket number down on the white board and when the mate checked he thought he had won 37 million or some such thing.

The dumb bastard walked off the boat the minute we tied up and has not been seen since.

Good riddence to bad trash!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because people who are good with money don't play the lottery.
View Quote

People who are good with money who win the lottery don't make the news.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A million or two just isn't what it used to be. Depending on age and a few other factors it may not even be enough to instantly retire on. If you're really smart, and make smart choices then maybe but lord knows I could blow through it pretty damn quick if I wanted to.
View Quote

Thats not enough to play with, I'd have blown through it as well.  I'd buy 3 houses and slumlord 2 of them, or keep one as a smashpad for tinder thots.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
A million is just enough to pay off your bills, stash some and take a nice vacation.

No mortgage, car payment, student loans, credit cards, etc equals the piece of mind knowing that you can tell pretty much anyone to go fuck themselves.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What the fuck is it with guys like this and swords? That crackhead in Florida who blew through 27 million dollars in 12 years spent over a million dollars on the damn things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
AT&T yields 7% dividends. Why not put it into a vanguard index/bond fund mix?
View Quote

QYLD gives 1% in dividends per month.

Schwab dividend gives less on the dividends but the stock grows too.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A sad ending out of Michigan to a story that should've had a happier one. MLive.com reports that a body was found last Saturday floating in the Tittabawassee River, near Northwood University in Midland. Police have now IDed the body as 69-year-old Leroy Fick, an Auburn resident who won a $2 million jackpot 11 years ago on the Michigan Lottery's Make Me Rich! TV game show.

Authorities haven't disclosed the cause of death, but they say it doesn't appear Fick's death is suspicious. After his June 2010 win, Fick took home about $1 million after taxes, but what happened next now serves as a "cautionary tale" to other lottery winners, notes Play Michigan. ClickOnDetroit.com notes that Fick, who ended up on TLC's Lottery Changed My Life program, dumped about $200,000 into the construction of a new home, as well as $200,000 into annuities.

More money was spent on investments, as well as such items as a new Chevy Camaro, swords, slot machines, and a "significant amount of fireworks," per MLive.com. Just two years after he'd won, Fick was broke.

It emerged that he and another lottery winner had been collecting government assistance despite their wins, prompting state lawmakers to change the criteria on who can apply for food aid. Fick also struggled with legal troubles, with a 45-day jail stint in 2012 for a drug conviction, followed by another prison sentence later that year for convictions of larceny of a firearm and felon in possession of a firearm. "The whole thing just blew up in my face," Fick told the judge in the latter case at the time. "I thought people would love me if I helped them out some. I had the wrong idea, I guess. They all turned on me and that was it." The Midland Police Department is asking anyone with information on Fick's death to call 989-839-4719.

https://www.newser.com/story/307292/he-hit-it-big-in-the-lottery-then-blew-it-all-now-a-tragic-end.html
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess you could say…

…he Ficked up. (Puts on sunglasses)

YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Just dropped 5k on QYLD.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Assuming that you are not already 75 years old, a million dollar fund isn’t shit to live off of for the rest of your life.
View Quote
$1 mil over 30 years is roughly $33k a year, or $641/wk....hardly "quit a job" kind of money.  What it would do for me, though, is build a $250k house, set up a college fund for the kids, buy a couple vehicles, and diversify the rest of the money.  I definitely wouldn't quit my job over it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI Schwabs dividend will give you more returns when you add dividends plus stock increases.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top