BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in manufacturing, my orders have always followed very closely with expansions and recessions.  My sales have grown 15% YOY for the past two years straight which is ludicrous speed in my business.  I've had record years 3 years in a row.  I've double the square footage of my facility and purchased machines at a previously unthinkable rate in order to keep up with demand and I am in a state of perpetual hiring.

I don't really know what to call that other than "humming" but surely you have access to better indicators than me from your internet machine.

If you want to debate the reasons or the sustainability of this economy then I'm not going to pick that fight.  In the context of my original post, it's a particularly accurate statement because the jobs and the hours ARE available for anyone who wants to play catch up these days.  That much is irrefutable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They lost 6 to 8 years max due to the recession.  There are plenty of depression Era folks who lost 12 to 15 years.

The economy is humming now so it should be no problem to get overtime and start making up lost ground.  No excuses.
Not sure what part you disagree with.  I can't hire people fast enough right now and 50-55 hours is a "normal" week.
The economy isn’t humming as well as you think.  Lipstick on a pig comes to mind.
I'm in manufacturing, my orders have always followed very closely with expansions and recessions.  My sales have grown 15% YOY for the past two years straight which is ludicrous speed in my business.  I've had record years 3 years in a row.  I've double the square footage of my facility and purchased machines at a previously unthinkable rate in order to keep up with demand and I am in a state of perpetual hiring.

I don't really know what to call that other than "humming" but surely you have access to better indicators than me from your internet machine.

If you want to debate the reasons or the sustainability of this economy then I'm not going to pick that fight.  In the context of my original post, it's a particularly accurate statement because the jobs and the hours ARE available for anyone who wants to play catch up these days.  That much is irrefutable.
The both of you have very good points.

But, given that recessions are fueled by excesses, and besides for a select few real estate markets, I am not seeing excess.

Sure, excessively low unemployment on paper, IMO not really, my POV is that the boomers are skewing the workforce because they didn't save enough and still have to work or choose to still work, remember for a lot of boomers work is what defined them.

Until they either retire or die, those vacancies won't need to be filled by new blood paying half the wages but 3/2s the person.

In order for me to get into defense mode I need to see excesses along with other indicators.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It's sad to see the "US vs Them mentality" that goes on between Boomers and Millennial's.

For the most part you see that Millennial's accept responsibility for the public image we have, and while some fit the stereotype others don't and work hard to have a better life. I think a lot of us are trying to be responsible adults, and are working hard to secure our future with the unfortunate reality's of 2018. There are also the people who fit the category of "me me me" and want it all handed to them without any effort.

Boomers for the most part only want to sit back, and call us all lazy gender studies losers who deserve to be homeless and are all "Bernesters". You refuse to acknowledge that things are drastically different then when you were our age, and continue to chastise us for mistakes that were made during your generation's control.

Either way, the reality for us is different. It's not that I don't want a house, or a retirement account that's filled with money for when I can finally stop working, it's unobtainable for a lot of people right now. I personally started working at 12 to help my Boomer dad's business survive because he was a poor steward of his money. I sacrificed my education and career goals to keep my parents from filing bankruptcy for many years. I got Crohn's at 16 and my best chance at a good life vanished overnight. I personally would have loved to follow my dreams and joined the Marines at 18 but the reality was that it would never happen. Instead I got to keep working for my dad, to keep him and my mother from loosing their house after they had the bright idea to keep opening antique shops in the fucking rescission. It was my choice, but how many of you would walk away from loving parents who needed you? My dad lives paycheck to paycheck to this day and for the longest time that meant that I was paid when he was. And that meant that I could go 3 weeks without seeing any money, and then get a chunk at once. But you can't exactly save anything when bill's pile up and you have to dip into savings to pay what's owed and when you do get a chunk I would save it all for the next drought. Now admittedly this was largely my fault for not doing what's best for myself and walking away, finishing college and getting a job with a steady income.

The sad thing is that I know my dad, and even with his failing health he would keep doing the same thing until the day he died (probably at work) leaving me and my brother with a mountain of debt and myself without any fallback. That's why last year I went back to school to become a welder. My wife contributes to her matching IRA but with both of us in school, the pile of monthly bills there simply isn't much left to think about retirement with. But even with that little bit that's left I have STILL managed to save thousands for a rainy day.

So it's not a black and white problem. Some people have it better, some people have it worse. Either way, the purchasing power of my dollar is not the same as what it was when you were my age. For fuck's sake were still charging what we were in the 2000's per job just to stay competitive.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:35:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But, given that recessions are fueled by excesses, and besides for a select few real estate markets, I am not seeing excess.

Sure, excessively low unemployment on paper, IMO not really, my POV is that the boomers are skewing the workforce because they didn't save enough and still have to work or choose to still work, remember for a lot of boomers work is what defined them.

Until they either retire or die, those vacancies won't need to be filled by new blood paying half the wages but 3/2s the person.

In order for me to get into defense mode I need to see excesses along with other indicators.
View Quote
This is another solid point. When I was desperate for work I got on at Macy's during "holiday help" and eventually worked my way up from price flexing to a commission sales job. The only problem was that 90% of the workforce were above 60 and had been working there for 18-19 years. They had the only full time jobs, and other older people who were managers set the hours. You can guess who always got 40 hrs plus overtime. There was not a SINGLE person under the age of 40 who worked there full time. We all got "part time" hours and were paid less than 10 an hour.

You see it all the time, from Boomers working fast food, to door greeters at WallMart. They have taken a LOT of jobs that traditionally would have gone to the younger workers in past generations. Imagine this Boomers. Remember that first job? Well imagine that you applied to 15 places and had still had no callbacks because a massive amount of Gen X's were desperate for work because the cost of living was so high that SS and retirement didn't cover the expenses you needed covered.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm genuinely curious about what you'd suggest in lieu of applying online. Every career fair I've attended has been a meet-and-greet with HR types who simply tell everyone they talk to to go apply online.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm feeling you except for this part in bold.  That's what things were like back in 2010 when I graduated (I just bet General Electric was only hiring 50 kids per year company-wide back in the good old days, too, right boomers?)  Right now the labor market's insanely hot, so if you aren't getting bites you're doing something wrong; probably trying to apply online if I had to guess.*
I'm genuinely curious about what you'd suggest in lieu of applying online. Every career fair I've attended has been a meet-and-greet with HR types who simply tell everyone they talk to to go apply online.
Read the * portion at the bottom.  There isn't much of a solution, it just sucks.  The only advice I'd give is to pursue companies too small for HR types to play those games, and who don't farm out their HR work to firms.  I got my current job cold-calling/cold-emailing CEOs of small businesses in the field & region I was interested in.  Six months in I got two bites, and one of them declared bankruptcy within days of responding that they'd pay most of my salary in stock options, lol.

Oh yeah; how'd you Boomers use all your stock options to pay your bills?  What, your employers paid you enough in cash that those sorts of Wimpy-style incentives weren't needed?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:52:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I will just mention something I read about during the Greek/Spanish/Italian debt crises;  apparently in Italy, government regulation on industries is so stifling that practically all of them only have ten or fewer nominal employees.  Everyone else is a temp contractor.  Moreover, due to the same sort of aging workforce issues we have, but far worse generational stagflation over there, the old geezers stay in the workforce as long as possible to keep the lights on.  The young folks have such a high demand for work, that they will work as *unpaid interns for YEARS* for these companies before earning a paying position.  Like, there's literal slavery going on, but with the understanding that you can earn your way out of bondage at some point.  But they don't starve to death, because the state provides assistance, as well as their families (though I suppose the family that slaves together, stays together)

That kind of crap is what I fear taking hold here, more than anything.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm feeling you except for this part in bold.  That's what things were like back in 2010 when I graduated (I just bet General Electric was only hiring 50 kids per year company-wide back in the good old days, too, right boomers?)  Right now the labor market's insanely hot, so if you aren't getting bites you're doing something wrong; probably trying to apply online if I had to guess.*  Possible, but unlikely that you're applying for H1B ringer-jobs unless you're not looking outside the Bay Area

I remain unconvinced NAFTA is even half as bad as people make it out to be.  The US has had profitable international business arrangements for centuries, it just wasn't until the earnings-chasing wiz-kids and profligate federal spending in the 60s that we started having these issues with trade imbalance.  Besides, to hear the old timers say it, we should just "go where the jobs are" and leave them to fester in their old age in a brain-drained America.

*totally separate issue is that HR and hiring practices are unprecedentedly retarded and counterproductive.  Sometimes intentionally for H1B reasons, but mostly because HR idiots turned their jobs over to half-assed software so they can collect a paycheck for doing VERY little work on the resume front.  Which is necessary since so much of their job is dominated by lawsuit-driven non-productive CYA crap.  The education-inflation is another side effect of this phenomenon.  Sadly, the days of cold-calls and shoe-leather job-seeking are long gone because these computer systems make it seem so much more efficient.  In reality you get jobs with 50,000 applications, and others with none, simply based on keywords and poor qualification/requirement decisions by HR.
View Quote
I'm still hoping the "Masters/PhD preferred" will go away for engineering jobs.  At 33 I have a BS in mechanical engineering and 10 years of experience in manufacturing.  Our resident PhD has about 3 years worth of experience in manufacturing, and 1.5 years in purchasing... He's currently telling me how he's an "expert" and i should learn from him.  The dude is a 47 year old joke...
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wage stagnation/decline. The post-WW2 period of prosperity that gave rise to the Boomers is dead and gone.

The fact that far too many people my age are tide-pod-eating morons certainly doesn't help. Then I keep getting bullshitted about the need for workers, but can't get a job with an engineering degree from a theoretically-reputable school, internship in my field, good GPA, etc.... and I'm far from the only one. Even getting into the workforce to begin with at a job that pays more than $10/hr seems to be next to impossible. All those jobs we keep hearing about are minimum-wage service-industry jobs with no possibility of advancement. Young folks are now being pushed out of the job market by middle-aged workers in things like fast food and retail, and apparently it's our fault because we don't have enough experience. For "entry-level" positions.

Thank decades of anti-American trade policy shipping jobs offshore at the expense of domestic manufacturing. Want to know why the US is experiencing an explosion of opioid abuse? Because all the fucking jobs moved to fucking China and Mexico. (Thanks, Nixon. Thanks, NAFTA.) You've got an entire generation with no hope, and a virtual guarantee that their standard of living will be inferior to that enjoyed by their parents and grandparents. That realization destroys hope. About the only thing left is natural resources, because you can't ship oil or ore reserves overseas.

The costs of education and healthcare are exploding all out of proportion to the rate of inflation, either pricing the average Joe out entirely, or forcing him to go into thousands in debt that he'll never be able to repay because the job market is such a clusterfuck.

ETA: You want to know why my signature looks how it does? Because a 21-year-old girl from New Carlisle, Ohio, ran out of money and hope. Because this country's higher education system is broken beyond repair. She decided to eat a bullet a couple days before her birthday because of that.
View Quote
"networking"*

*not with HR people

that's all that has worked for me, unfortunately O&G still isn't doing very well (economy in general isn't very good) and I can't leverage any of my dad's connections as I have in the past
(I've had no luck applying for retail or food service jobs)

from what I've heard, very few people in the engineering tech program I'm currently in were able to land a summer internship, I personally only know of 2 and neither of them are at O&G companies
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:30:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have anything saved for retirement yet.

No debt though.

Probably won't need student loans (thanks to the money I was saving as a down-payment for a place).

My goal is start earning six figures ASAP, preferably without having to leave Alberta (or Saskatchewan).
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget about the trend to buy expensive cars with 60+ month loans.

That bubble is going to burst when people realize they can't get a new truck in 2 years.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:03:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You got data to back that up?
View Quote
no one forced them to become  lazy pot smoking zombies.  with tons of college debt.

I started working at 14 moved hear & retired at 39.  you create your own future.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Boomers would do anything to be a young again, its where the bitterness comes from. Notice how all the animosity is directed at the young men, but they would think about it for months if a millenial woman noticed them. Hopefuly SHTF or something happens so I never become that sad
View Quote
You couldn't be more wrong. Age should show you wisdom but for now you are young and inexperienced. You'll see. Go back, no way. I had a great time in a better world than we have now. As a world our best years are behind us and nothing can change that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First post is retarded.

ETA:Along with most of the others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good
First post is retarded.

ETA:Along with most of the others.
Fucking boomers
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Old people are funny.

"We did a shit job of raising our kids and gave them a fucked up social security system but it's their fault."
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm feeling you except for this part in bold.  That's what things were like back in 2010 when I graduated (I just bet General Electric was only hiring 50 kids per year company-wide back in the good old days, too, right boomers?)  Right now the labor market's insanely hot, so if you aren't getting bites you're doing something wrong; probably trying to apply online if I had to guess.*
Completely out of touch with reality.  A lot of companies don't even have paper applications anymore and if you send them a resume' they're going to email you a link to their application page.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:49:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Most Mexicans, Hondurans, Guatemalans have more in savings after being here a year, than most Americans, pud fuckers that haven't prepared should be embarrassed
View Quote
Because they work under the table, live in a 100 sq ft crackhouse apartment that they share with 10 other people, and utilize every welfare scheme they can as illegal immigrants.

They are the reason so many millenuals are FUCKED. Blue collar Americans used to be able to save for retirement and have decent health coverage AND still support a modest family. Today!? Have fun working your add off like a slave for money that can't even afford a cardboard box on the street.

No wonder so many millenials are fucked. I get paid $12 hr... and I have a house paid off...but I still find it hard to make ends meet FFS.

Going to college isn't even a guarantee anymore as you are likely to end up having to compete against an Indian H1B visa worker who will do your job for gas station attendant wages.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Our generation did raise these people.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Need some advice.

I'm reaching 35. I have $5,000 in credit debt and about $6,200 home equity loan. No mortgage.

I'm only currently earning $12/hr ($27-28k per yr w/ OT). My wife is currently overseas waiting on our spousal visa to be approved. Once she arrives... We are planning to have her work full time so we can pay off the house and be completely debt free.

I am currently looking for better work. My company just approved a slight promotion at work... But still not worth sticking around at. I have an interview at a job that would pay $15.50/hr and GREAT State govt employee bennies.

Worst case scenario... I get a different job that pays $14hr and make around $30kyr and use Christian h3althshare ministries for health ins.

I am also taking online coursework to get my Cisco CCNA cert. Im hoping someday i can work as a network engineer.

I figure at the least, once my wife gets here, she can get a full time job doing day care ... We can have all our debt gone in 3-6 months. Problem is... she is 31 and wants to start having kids. I do too. But I have no idea how that will work. I figure she can still make some extra money babysitting other people's kids while at home? Not sure if anyone here does that.

How bad a situation would we be in if I'm at 35...paid off house, kids on the way... and just now starting to contribute to retirement? I don't have much in my accounts right now at all. My fault... I know,  but trying to figure out how to fix this Shit.

My dad lost most of his life savings during the dot com bubble burst... and was able to recover from it to a nice retirement by 2015.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Need some advice.

I'm reaching 35. I have $5,000 in credit debt and about $6,200 home equity loan. No mortgage.

I'm only currently earning $12/hr ($27-28k per yr w/ OT). My wife is currently overseas waiting on our spousal visa to be approved. Once she arrives... We are planning to have her work full time so we can pay off the house and be completely debt free.

I am currently looking for better work. My company just approved a slight promotion at work... But still not worth sticking around at. I have an interview at a job that would pay $15.50/hr and GREAT State govt employee bennies.

Worst case scenario... I get a different job that pays $14hr and make around $30kyr and use Christian h3althshare ministries for health ins.

I am also taking online coursework to get my Cisco CCNA cert. Im hoping someday i can work as a network engineer.

I figure at the least, once my wife gets here... We can have all our debt gone in 3-6 months. Problem is... she is 31 and wants to start having kids. I do too. But I have no idea how that will work.

How bad a situation would we be in if I'm at 35...paid off house, kids on the way... and just now starting to contribute to retirement? I don't have much in my accounts right now at all. My fault... I know,  but trying to figure out how to fix this Shit.

My dad lost most of his life savings during the dot com bubble burst... and was able to recover from it to a nice retirement by 2015.
View Quote
Having a house paid off at 35 is a big benefit but at the income you're looking at you're still not going to be able to put much into retirement.

Honestly?  Take a look at getting into the trades.  I'm looking at getting out of it for a firefighting job but it's still not a bad gig at all.  70k+ a year plus benefits.  401k and pension paid into by the employer plus an optional annuity.  Even at your age without a mortgage to worry about you could set yourself up to retire comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some of these newer guys sound just like the snowflakes on reddit. "life isn't fair, boomers suck, I deserve better pay, student loans aren't fair, my pussy hurts, whaaaaa"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2018/06/07/millennials-preparing-for-retirement-000670

In terms of preparing for retirement, millennials have three strikes against them. First, because of limited access to retirement plans at work, millennials will struggle to build retirement savings, since experience shows that people have a great deal of trouble saving on their own. Second, they are less likely to have bought a home, and home equity is a valuable retirement asset. And third, they are more likely to be burdened by student loans, and young workers with student loans have less to stash in retirement plans and are more likely to end up at risk in retirement.

But corporate profits and management bonuses will continue to grow exponentially.....
Nothing wrong with making money as long as there's a little spreading of the wealth as well.
Spreading the wealth?
The commie mindset abounds in here.
Feel the Bern.
It's rotten with them in here.
They wouldn't even piss on the type of life decisions we've made that allowed us to retire comfortably.
What we've earned they think was stolen from them.
Some of these newer guys sound just like the snowflakes on reddit. "life isn't fair, boomers suck, I deserve better pay, student loans aren't fair, my pussy hurts, whaaaaa"
"There's two types of fair. County and state."
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Need some advice.
View Quote
Tempe PD is accepting online applications July 5- July 19th, $56k starting pay. Chandler and Gilbert PDs are accepting applications again in the fall, they both start at $53k. A guy I worked with bailed on NY and went to work for Chandler PD, he loved it there.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, in prior generations a good chunk of that accumulated wealth was reserved for the next generation...as opposed to accumulated at that future generations' expense in the first place

Folks my age have a hard time finding apartments --you know, that thing you need to "move to where the money is" because Boomers have created so much demand for Social-Security-subsidized geezer homes, and voted for so many Great Society section 8 housing projects.  Demand is so high, that in Texas renting is pegged very near the 30% income threshold of maximum affordability, despite huge job and economic growth, which makes it very difficult to accumulate cash for a down payment.  Even so, the real estate market is so overheated that renting is still a *much* better deal over a ten year period.  "Move somewhere cheaper" yeah, there's no jobs in those places since Boomers sold the corporations out to foreign interests to pump the stock numbers; it's just old folks retirement homes, and I didn't bust my ass in engineering college for four years to wipe the asses of people on the dole.
View Quote
Could you maybe get a room-mate and split the rent for a time?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2018/06/07/millennials-preparing-for-retirement-000670

In terms of preparing for retirement, millennials have three strikes against them. First, because of limited access to retirement plans at work, millennials will struggle to build retirement savings, since experience shows that people have a great deal of trouble saving on their own. Second, they are less likely to have bought a home, and home equity is a valuable retirement asset. And third, they are more likely to be burdened by student loans, and young workers with student loans have less to stash in retirement plans and are more likely to end up at risk in retirement.
View Quote
View Quote
Well, let me offers a few life lessons:

Retirement. No job owes you a retirement plan. A business is in business for their own profit/well-being. Doesn't mean they have to be dicks, but they didn't start the business for you. No one will take care of you better than YOU. YOU plan for YOUR retirement.

Savings. Control your urges and spending and you can save. It's really that easy. Doesn't mean you can't have fun or do whatever, but you cannot spend more than you have and save at the same time. Remember math class? Put something aside through automatic deduction from your pay check, or deposit cash in a bank, and live like it isn't there. It only gets touched in an emergency, and you need to define for yourself right up front what an 'emergency' is. I suggest that you not deem a new iphone or concert tickets an emergency.

Student loans. You were bullshitted. I know that degree in cultural studies was supposed to help unite the world, and your counselor told you you would make $80K out the gate, but you were bullshitted. It is YOUR responsibility to pursue a relevant educate, and, reality check, all education is not relevant. No one is going to pay you $80K without any experience. Yes, you have to start at the bottom, and show a company you can perform and are worth more, before you get more. Face facts, you have a bunch of information and theory swimming around your head and no real idea how to put it into meaningful/productive action; you are still learning. So, if you keep holding out for $80K, you'll still be trying to pay your loan off working at McDonald's. Oh, and no, I'm not for loan forgiveness. YOU were bullshitted, not me. Life lesson.

Sorry about the hurt feelings kids, but you need to face the facts. Again, no one will take care of you like YOU. Stop waiting on the world to care and give you what it owes you because it doesn't owe you anything, and just doesn't care. Don't approach tomorrow like yesterday or you'll stay right where you are.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tempe PD is accepting online applications July 5- July 19th, $56k starting pay. Chandler and Gilbert PDs are accepting applications again in the fall, they both start at $53k. A guy I worked with bailed on NY and went to work for Chandler PD, he loved it there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need some advice.
I don't have the qualifications necessary. Doesn't it require an associated degree at the least?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Then no Millennials in their right mind would ever vote for a fucking democrat...…….yet...………...
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't have the qualifications necessary. Doesn't it require an associated degree at the least?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need some advice.
I can't find the requirements on Tempe or Gilbert's site but Chandler only requires a GED.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Need some advice.

I figure at the least, once my wife gets here, she can get a full time job doing day care ... We can have all our debt gone in 3-6 months. Problem is... she is 31 and wants to start having kids. I do too. But I have no idea how that will work. I figure she can still make some extra money babysitting other people's kids while at home? Not sure if anyone here does that.

View Quote
Thirty five years old is definitely young enough to start saving for retirement.

Figure you will earn about 7 percent a year and also figure how much you will need to live a decent life in retirement (i.e., $500K in retirement times 7 percent would equal $35K per year without reducing principal).

This is VERY dependent on your spending habits and personal desires that ONLY you can provide the answers to.

But 35 is definitely young enough IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They lost 6 to 8 years max due to the recession.  There are plenty of depression Era folks who lost 12 to 15 years.

The economy is humming now so it should be no problem to get overtime and start making up lost ground.  No excuses.
Not sure what part you disagree with.  I can't hire people fast enough right now and 50-55 hours is a "normal" week.
The economy isn’t humming as well as you think.  Lipstick on a pig comes to mind.

And this is something I disagree with because companies wait until that old boomer retires or dies before hiring new blood and then wanting someone already trained for the position. [which in my field is 0%]

Want a bonus and to be a lazy manager or higher up? It's easy, just never replace those who retire and take that employee savings [due to not hiring a replacement] against your budget. You'll look like a ''genoius'' to the next lazy person up the ladder and what the hell, you'll both be gone and promoted elsewhere in the company when the SHTF down the road. Sorry for the poor sucker that is in charge when it all goes to shit in the department.

Seen it over and over again, bonuses and quarterly earnings always beat long term planning and that includes employees and retirements, especially when you have a huge portion of your work force in certain positions within 2-5 years of retirement and YOUR training and work experience requirements means that you are years behind the turnover schedule and that there won't be any old guys to help mentor the newer employees when they run across something unknown or have trouble shooting issues.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Prior WWII, the majority of Americans worked until they died. Retirement is a new relative made up term.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is another solid point. When I was desperate for work I got on at Macy's during "holiday help" and eventually worked my way up from price flexing to a commission sales job. The only problem was that 90% of the workforce were above 60 and had been working there for 18-19 years. They had the only full time jobs, and other older people who were managers set the hours. You can guess who always got 40 hrs plus overtime. There was not a SINGLE person under the age of 40 who worked there full time. We all got "part time" hours and were paid less than 10 an hour.

You see it all the time, from Boomers working fast food, to door greeters at WallMart. They have taken a LOT of jobs that traditionally would have gone to the younger workers in past generations. Imagine this Boomers. Remember that first job? Well imagine that you applied to 15 places and had still had no callbacks because a massive amount of Gen X's were desperate for work because the cost of living was so high that SS and retirement didn't cover the expenses you needed covered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@seatbelts

yep....the greatest generation for the most part weren't big spenders, remember they went through the Great Depression, they maybe had 1 hobbie, and lived in the same house they bought when they got married (excpetions of course if you moved for a job), The boomers on the other hand, for the most part did not realize that you need to save for retirement for the most part and henceforth why they aren't retiring. They can't, they are getting into their 60s with too much debt to service.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And this is something I disagree with because companies wait until that old boomer retires or dies before hiring new blood and then wanting someone already trained for the position. [which in my field is 0%]

Want a bonus and to be a lazy manager or higher up? It's easy, just never replace those who retire and take that employee savings [due to not hiring a replacement] against your budget. You'll look like a ''genoius'' to the next lazy person up the ladder and what the hell, you'll both be gone and promoted elsewhere in the company when the SHTF down the road. Sorry for the poor sucker that is in charge when it all goes to shit in the department.

Seen it over and over again, bonuses and quarterly earnings always beat long term planning and that includes employees and retirements, especially when you have a huge portion of your work force in certain positions within 2-5 years of retirement and YOUR training and work experience requirements means that you are years behind the turnover schedule and that there won't be any old guys to help mentor the newer employees when they run across something unknown or have trouble shooting issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

needing to be filled and actually filling them don't always happen.

Sounds like you guys have some poor management that isn't concerned with the workers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Prior WWII, the majority of Americans worked until they died. Retirement is a new relative made up term.
View Quote
@Miami_JBT

Us Cajuns had out own retirement system.

Once you got old, you just moved into or lived in a little house on the property of your kids.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Need some advice.

View Quote
https://www.indeed.com/l-Arizona-jobs.html

Not sure of you location but sometimes you have to move.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@Miami_JBT

Once you got old, you just moved into or lived in a little house on the property of your kids.
View Quote
@midcap

Not just Cajuns. That was what retirement was, your kids taking care of you when you needed help.

As for excess, saw this chart from a hedge finder on twitter last week. Nothing to go wrong here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not all of us can work the government gravy train.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But corporate profits and management bonuses will continue to grow exponentially.....
Nothing wrong with making money as long as there's a little spreading of the wealth as well.
Spreading the wealth?
The commie mindset abounds in here.
Feel the Bern.
It's rotten with them in here.

They wouldn't even piss on the type of life decisions we've made that allowed us to retire comfortably.

What we've earned they think was stolen from them.
Some of these newer guys sound just like the snowflakes on reddit. " life isn't fair, boomers suck, I deserve better pay, student loans aren't fair, my pussy hurts, whaaaaa"
Not all of us can work the government gravy train.
Should have made better choices

To be fair I work for .gov, own a small consulting company, own rentals, and teach 4 CC classes a year. Some of us aren't lazy millennials and work multiple jobs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The economy isn't humming as well as you think.  Lipstick on a pig comes to mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The economy isn't humming as well as you think.  Lipstick on a pig comes to mind.
You have been preaching doom and gloom since the day you came. You entire is post history is like the stock market thread "Monday".
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Screw that noise.

25, Married, about to have first kid, own my own home, have emergency fund, saving aggressively for retirement, debt free, own more guns than most members here.

Stupid to let stereotypes define you.  If someone wants to call me a millennial, let them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on your recent success and growth.

As for my internet machine. I work in an industry that interacts with all facets of the economy.  Jobs availability may have increased, but most of that is low skilled work. The BLS employment report indicates as such. Combine that with massive student loans, increasing health care costs and living expenses, it isn’t sustainable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You have been preaching doom and gloom since the day you came. You entire is post history is like the stock market thread "Monday".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since the day I came.

I knew when I graduated college retirement would be challenging  and most of the millennials won’t be able to. The boomers baked the cake and want to eat it too. I know how to do the math.  Doing the math is why I get paid. Well, my John Hancock matters too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Since the day I came.

I knew when I graduated college retirement would be challenging  and most of the millennials won't be able to. The boomers baked the cake and want to eat it too. I know how to do the math.  Doing the math is why I get paid. Well, my John Hancock matters too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since the day I came.

I knew when I graduated college retirement would be challenging  and most of the millennials won't be able to. The boomers baked the cake and want to eat it too. I know how to do the math.  Doing the math is why I get paid. Well, my John Hancock matters too.
"Monday"
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@midcap

Not just Cajuns. That was what retirement was, your kids taking care of you when you needed help.

As for excess, saw this chart from a hedge finder on twitter last week. Nothing to go wrong here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/D9461D60-E0B1-4DD9-84E2-7521178DB8C6-571218.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Miami_JBT

@midcap

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/D9461D60-E0B1-4DD9-84E2-7521178DB8C6-571218.JPG
you are right.....we tend to still do it these days also. I have a lot of clients who have their elderly parent or inlaw living with them.

That chart looks excessive, but you need to remember my time frame is 6-12 months, while I agree with you and rino_hunter on the long term I still have to generate returns in the short.

Which chart is that?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good
View Quote
There's no reasoning with that level of stupid.

*click*
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
you are right.....we tend to still do it these days also. I have a lot of clients who have their elderly parent or inlaw living with them.

That chart looks excessive, but you need to remember my time frame is 6-12 months, while I agree with you and rino_hunter on the long term I still have to generate returns in the short.

Which chart is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Miami_JBT

@midcap

Which chart is that?
I fully get the short term vs long term. My short term looks different as I get to deal with government stupidity.

Chart is AMZN. Nice parabola.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I fully get the short term vs long term. My short term looks different as I get to deal with government stupidity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Miami_JBT

@midcap

Which chart is that?

yeah I know you get it.

As far as Amazon, at least the tech sector has earnings and cash flow this time.

I forgot....Amazon is now Cons Disc.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Old people are funny.

"We did a shit job of raising our kids and gave them a fucked up social security system but it's their fault."
View Quote
No personal responsibility?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It really is going to be a shit show.

When I talk to people at work about retirement, I'm always amazed at how little they have invested.

One dude in his early 40s who has 4 kids told me that he has less than 10k total retirement savings and I just talked to a gal in her mid 30s who didn't have ANY retirement savings.
View Quote
Scary isn't it?

I don't feel like I have enough and compared to most I've talked to I have a shit ton.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#46]
They have to work longer to make up for all the time spent on cell phone while at work!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They have to work longer to make up for all the time spent on cell phone while at work!
View Quote
Since the average lifespan for Americans is a bit under 79 years, they will never get to retire.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Don't forget wage stagnation.

I'm about as old a millennial as you can get (born in 84').  I cringe everytime i listen to all the boomers complain all day long.

They love to shit on younger generations with the "when i was 25..." bullshit.

Oh, you mean when you were making the same wage a year and a half out of school i am now after 6 years?  When your education was a 10th of what mine was?  When your first house was less than half of what a comparable model is today?

When you were partying your way through your twenties just like millennials are doing now; you call them lazy?
View Quote
LOL.
Wrong.
Late boomer here.
BS then a few grad courses.
Worked .my way through college, took 7 years, paid as I went. In the trades.

Took a BIG pay cut for a gov job, started at just over $6/ hr. Decent bennies. Married, wife in school. Lived in a shack, converted carraige house on an old farm.

Drove 20 yo vehicles. Wife started small business. Still has it. Very modest income.
No vices, very few vacations, and those were cheap.

Doable, just have to want to do it.
FWIW one of my brothers is a HS dropout, 6 figure income.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top