Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/1/2022 11:34:04 PM EDT
So, today I was at a CLE and all the new lawyers were;

1. Wearing "slimfit" slacks that looked like medieval leggings.
2. The slacks stop a good 1-2" above the top of the shoe.  No break on the shoestrings, these aren't even touching the shoe when standing.  You can see their socks from a distance.
3. Brown shoes with like an inch thick bright white sole?

Now, I've dressed like I lived in the 1920s since I was 10, so I'm used to being fashion unaware except for a brief flirtation with mullets, swatches, and Members Only jackets.  I haven't tried to be trendy since; and I also avoid monkey suits as much as possible for someone in my profession.  So, I'm completely unaware of when these became a thing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
pics?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
And what the hell happened to spats?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
"Style is the only constant in life, Frank."

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You should see what male nurses wear nowadays.  Skin tight Figs joggers several inches above the ankle.  $100 a pair for tight bright sweatsuits.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should see what male nurses wear nowadays.  Skin tight Figs joggers several inches above the ankle.  $100 a pair for tight bright sweatsuits.
View Quote

Sounds fabulous
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sounds fabulous
View Quote

As fabulous as the quality of work they churn out
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Dress like a man.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't GD just say black suits were only acceptable for undertakers (and John Wick)?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I stopped wearing my rashguard to the clubs during the Rona skeer.

Clubs shut down.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Didn't GD just say black suits were only acceptable for undertakers (and John Wick)?
View Quote

Wearing a suit is for wage slaves and the help
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes todays "trendy" mens clothing fashion fads suck and look terrible. I also hate fucking skinny lapels almost as much as skinny pants. Hopefully they get around men who dress in a more traditional style it will rub off.

Covid did mens clothing zero favors too with so many people away from the office enviroment and office dress codes. I'm sure many places will shift back to pre covid dress codes but I think it will take years in some offices. Assuming a white collar type office enviroment to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be me... the help.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Are Crevats out of style?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Ost.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#16]
It's whatever makes them happy I suppose, but I don't get it. However, I fully admit that most of the time I could easily slide back to 1993 and be ok though. Some sort of t-shirt or button down shirt, jeans and Vans kinda fit several decades.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I like medieval leggings.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m 36 and try to look somewhat current as a professional, but there are some stupid modern fashion trends that I can’t stand:

-skinny slacks on men, no socks, and 3 inches of bare ankle showing above your dress shoes

-dress shirts buttoned all the way up to the top with no tie or anything, just…buttoned all the way up. At least leave the top one open or something.

-sandals with pants of any kind. Sandals are for the beach or the pool. I can’t run in sandals, and if I cant run, I can’t fight and/or protect my family.

-turtle neck shirts under suits. To be fair, I think this is more of a black people thing, but I do see it a lot and I think it looks goofy as shit
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Guys were doing that stuff about five years ago here. They grew up and realized it was dumb.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I just dress comfortably.  I really don't care about fashion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Things really started to go downhill when men stopped wearing hats.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I haven’t seen that here. We dress casually for CLEs but the judges here would not put up with that in court. You will be called for a side bar if you are not dressed appropriately.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#24]
One thing I noticed is that most modern men's pants are more "skinny" fitting. While I don't opt for the skinny styles, even athletic fit are practically skinny jeans for someone raised in the 90s on baggy pants.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Winter: Flannel shirts and jeans
Summer: Hawaiian shirts and jeans
Hot summer: T-shirts and shorts

I haven't changed how I dress since 1973.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#26]
That show Modern Family did a bit on it about 5 years ago. Look up Phil's tight suit on youtube.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Slim fit suits look like something out of a European boarding school for children and make the "men" wearing them look like kids or queers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One thing I noticed is that most modern men's pants are more "skinny" fitting. While I don't opt for the skinny styles, even athletic fit are practically skinny jeans for someone raised in the 90s on baggy pants.
View Quote

I mean, I could see the skinny fit if you were squatting 3x a week and wanted to show off.  These are 20-something lawyers.  They've got little stick legs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:42:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, you are like in your early fifties too?

I am also running out of time to give a fuck about what people may think of how I dress. I know for a fact that there are many way younger than me that look like they should never show themselves in public again.

Let's dress [in sweats] like we are going out to Walmart!

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So, today I was at a CLE and all the new lawyers were;

1. Wearing "slimfit" slacks that looked like medieval leggings.
2. The slacks stop a good 1-2" above the top of the shoe.  No break on the shoestrings, these aren't even touching the shoe when standing.  You can see their socks from a distance.
3. Brown shoes with like an inch thick bright white sole?

Now, I've dressed like I lived in the 1920s since I was 10, so I'm used to being fashion unaware except for a brief flirtation with mullets, swatches, and Members Only jackets.  I haven't tried to be trendy since; and I also avoid monkey suits as much as possible for someone in my profession.  So, I'm completely unaware of when these became a thing.
View Quote

The shoes, I don’t get the shoes. I’m an outsider at the office because I don’t have sneakers pretending to be wingtips.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
pics?
View Quote

No, absolutely no pics.
My son in law is a hipster yuppie. I spoke my peace about his attire. We agree to disagree. I had to apologize for my initial comments.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:50:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Because you were taking note of how other dudes are dressed and started a thread on a gun board about male clothing trends
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Pantaloons are Dope AF

Deal with it
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://y.yarn.co/ae5b86a3-7102-4399-8833-2642bdd84688_text.gif
Because you were taking note of how other dudes are dressed and started a thread on a gun board about male clothing trends
View Quote

Yet here you are
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am also running out of time to give a fuck about what people may think of how I dress. I know for a fact that there are many way younger than me that look like they should never show themselves in public again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a guy where I work who, when he started, wore what appeared to be the same blue sweatpants, and untucked blue dress shirt every day (I think he had more than one shirt).  It looked really odd.  Apparently someone said something to him, because now he wears what appear to be the same jeans every day, and untucked blue dress shirt.

We do have some of the skinny pants types, although I think they're slightly less prevalent recently.  And a couple of guys who wear dresses.  Oh, and one who occasionally sports a kilt.

This is definitely not the type of company where you would expect much of this, but we do have a lot of employees.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#36]
It's been like this for years, if you ever have watched the "Bachelor" they always dress those guys like that. Terrible blue suit with nasty brown shoes, pants are two inches short, pants are painted on, looks like shit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Sink me, your tailors have betrayed you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:15:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’m 36 and try to look somewhat current as a professional, but there are some stupid modern fashion trends that I can’t stand:

-skinny slacks on men, no socks, and 3 inches of bare ankle showing above your dress shoes

-dress shirts buttoned all the way up to the top with no tie or anything, just…buttoned all the way up. At least leave the top one open or something.

-sandals with pants of any kind. Sandals are for the beach or the pool. I can’t run in sandals, and if I cant run, I can’t fight and/or protect my family.

-turtle neck shirts under suits. To be fair, I think this is more of a black people thing, but I do see it a lot and I think it looks goofy as shit
View Quote

Turtle necks and sport coats/jackets is a very British and pre-1950’s American thing
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Well the target consumer of today's men's fashion aren't really men in the traditional sense of the word.  

I should add i have no fashion sense, and dress comfortably and favor function over form.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I absolutely can not stand the trend of wearing brown shoes with a blue suit.  It's undignified, and it looks stupid.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#42]

I don't think things can get gayer than that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:23:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeap I travelled to UK & Sweden a lot 2015-2018; the cobalt blue suits with too-short skinny pants, jackets that couldn't close and brown shoes was pretty much the uniform there.

Also the too-short skinny jeans with the meat 'n two veg defined like a kydex holster, and very long pointed shoes.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't think things can get gayer than that.
View Quote

It is pretty gay and for the record, it’s not me.  Really.

However, as far as being gayer than that……..meet Sam Brinton.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, they were wearing socks and the cuffs weren't quite that high; but it's not far off.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:27:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I mean, I could see the skinny fit if you were squatting 3x a week and wanted to show off.  These are 20-something lawyers.  They've got little stick legs.
View Quote

If they have stick legs, they should be wearing slim/skinny fit pants.

They’d look like a clown dressed in the relaxed fit slacks all the fatsos wear.

If you have athletic legs, lots of companies are developing nice athletic fits.

The variety is nice when you realize people come in all shapes and sizes. It’s never distracted me unless it’s a super athletic guy in crazy skinny slacks or some fatty trying to wear skinny fit clothes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeap I travelled to UK & Sweden a lot 2015-2018; the cobalt blue suits with too-short skinny pants, jackets that couldn't close and brown shoes was pretty much the uniform there.

Also the too-short skinny jeans with the meat 'n two veg defined like a kydex holster, and very long pointed shoes.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UbgAAOSwgY9Xeorv/s-l500.jpg
View Quote

Yes; but with an inch thick white sole instead of, you know, a normal dress shoe sole.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Those pants with a 3-4” longer length would be fine.

Add some socks and that’s not that abnormal IMO.

Or if you are wearing dress boots, a shorter hem can work as you don’t want your hem to be fighting with your laces and boots.

But seriously, add some socks. Or don’t, I don’t get why people get up in a fit over what people wear.

Classic GD “stop liking what I don’t like”
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I was informed somewhere that the way to short pants are so you can show off those expensive, fancy colorful socks that you paid so much for. Think Boomba or one of those idiotic companies.
Our Executives (think 7 figures at least a year) started the buttoned up/buttoned down shirt with no tie and a jacket idiocy several years ago, they look like morons and inspire us with their fashion leadership.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top