Their church their rules.
View Quote
There is always one in every group.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That isn't what I claimed...

And we don't teach that in any official doctrinal source.

The pre-creed Church did believe and teach that mortals can become like God.
View Quote
I disagree if you are saying the Catholics claimed man can be God.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So, in this thread there are some people that are trying to point out The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints cannot be true... This is dude to it's anti gun policy in the chapels  .... and then shake the faith of members of the church with that opinion.

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The whole advantage of being LDS got its nuts cut off when mainstream said you couldn't have more than one wife. I don't know why anyone would prefer it after that. Makes no sense at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No they did not. If you don't want people arguing against Mormon ideas, don't start infusing this thread with Mormon beliefs, particularly when they are contentious.
View Quote
What I wrote is an accurate historical fact.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Be God? Or like God?

Like God is what I claimed.

And it was a belief of the pre-creed, pre-Catholic early Christian Church...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not really different from most churches.. my parents Baptist church has the same policy but it's generally understood concealed means concealed and everyone knows people carry.

The real problem is a lot of Mormons are non confrontational and if the SHTF as they prep for, they won't be prepared to do what needs to be done. I remember talking to my Mormon father in law about it, and I'll never forget what he said. I asked him what he would do if a bunch of people attacked them for their food preps and he thought for a second and said well I would share what I have.. I asked him why he would do that because it's literally taking food out of his family's mouth, and he just said he couldn't ever see himself killing anyone even if they would kill him. I just sat there thinking "why even have a gun then??"
View Quote
I have been in a lot of churches and have yet to encounter a prohibition on carry.  Mostly Lutheran.

I don’t really care what the LDS folks do as I have never been in one of their buildings and have no plans to do so.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you think it would be ok if I dressed up as an Indian and carried a bow & arrow?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you think it would be ok if I dressed up as an Indian  Lamanite and carried a bow & arrow?
View Quote
Fixed it for you.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
No it's not. You have made that contention many times, and have been called on it. You never provide evidence, but just repeat it over and over and over again.

Stick to this discussion on guns, and keep your nonsense to yourself. You love to troll these threads, bring people in, rile them up, and then watch the warnings add up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So all their teaching about being prepared is total bullshit.  The only thing they are preparing for is to be sheep
View Quote
Bingo
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Be God? Or like God?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be God? Or like God?

Nope, strictly a Mormon belief.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
No comments on Mormons at this time. I will say that If my local Baptist Church used this same language about guns I would no longer be a member. I would go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn't Joe Smith pack heat? And die in a prison shootout?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understand where you're coming from, but you might be overthinking it a little.  Your standing in the Church won't come into question if you carry into a building, even if somebody notices.  This is a matter of policy, not doctrine.

That said, it may be worth your time to ask your bishop and stake president about whether this means that the Church will assume direct responsibility for providing for the safety of the members during meetings.

Of course, the reality is that the risk of a mass shooting at one of our meeting houses remains exceedingly low, but that isn't the main point and I still think the question is worth posing to the local leaders.  Debating asking the question myself.
View Quote
I find it extremely troubling. It reeks of corruption at the highest levels of the church. I quite honestly am questioning my faith over this, because I don't see how this can possibly be the lord's will.

Alma 60:11 says all anyone needs to know on this subject.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
made up reasons they admitted to making up for it.
View Quote
Made up?

Who said they made it up?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Made up?

Who said they made it up?
View Quote
Who said they didn't?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No it's not. You have made that contention many times, and have been called on it. You never provide evidence, but just repeat it over and over and over again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Every time I am asked for evidence...

I provide it.

You need to read, “Do Mormons Have a Leg to Stand On?”

There is overwhelming evidence that what we teach is what was taught in the pre-creed Church...

As even a cursory glance at early Christian thought reveals, the idea that man might become as God—known in Greek as theosis or theopoiesis—may be found virtually everywhere, from the New Testament through the writings of the first four centuries. Church members take seriously such passages as Psalm 82:6 [Ps. 82:6], John 10:33–36, and Philippians 2:5–6 [Philip. 2:5–6], in which a plurality of gods and the idea of becoming like God are mentioned.
Link

Quoted:
Stick to this discussion on guns, and keep your nonsense to yourself. You love to troll these threads, bring people in, rile them up, and then watch the warnings add up.
You like to post falsehoods about the pre-creed Christian Church and the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ.

Troll?

You asked for a reference about the pre-creed true Church of Jesus Christ. You were provided a reference.

I hope everyone follows the rules, and gets their noted concerns answered...

I try to be a good and positive arfcommer...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This has been their policy for a long time here in Utah.
View Quote
Ill never be unarmed in a Meadow in the Mountains around any Mormons...........
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Internet religious arguments always change someone’s mind.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They were run out because Joseph Smith had one of the largest armed formations in the US at the time, which was used to intimidate their neighbors and eventually burn down a newspaper that published unflattering things about Smith, who BTW, died falling out of a window after shooting a couple of guys (his 34 wives were sad I bet). They were persona non-grata for a reason. As it was, they ran the Utah territory like a bunch of thugs, which culminated in the Mountain Meadows Massacre. The actual history isn't the rosy picture published by the church.

But I'm sure the Roo will be here soon to call us all liars and liberals before praising Mitt.
View Quote
THATS GOING TO LEAVE A MARK!!!!

(golf clap) well played Sir.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Every time I am asked for evidence...

I provide it.

You need to read, “Do Mormons Have a Leg to Stand On?”

There is overwhelming evidence that what we teach is what was taught in the pre-creed Church...

Link

You like to post falsehoods about the pre-creed Christian Church and the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ.

Troll?

You asked for a reference about the pre-creed true Church of Jesus Christ. You were provided a reference.

I hope everyone follows the rules, and gets their noted concerns answered...

I try to be a good and positive arfcommer...
View Quote
You need to stop. You are trolling. That's why you start Trump bashing in every thread, including this one, when Trump wasn't even the topic. You've already had to take a time out over that one, but have not learned anything apparently.

You also do the same thing by bringing up religious ideas that you know will get Christians riled up to defend Christianity. You provoke and provoke and then watch as others get a time out. You've been called out by the mods on that also.

Stop it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nope, strictly a Mormon belief.
View Quote
Nope.

It is a widely known belief of the pre-creed Christian Church...

Your pastor probably doesn’t focus on the pre-creed Church so much...

As “Mormons” share the belief with the pre-creed Church. An evidence of our truth.

“The notion of theosis is characteristic of church fathers Irenaeus (second century A.D.), Clement of Alexandria (third century A.D.), and Athanasius (fourth century A.D.). Indeed, so pervasive was the doctrine in the fourth century that Athanasius’s archenemies, the Arians, also held the belief and the Origenist monks at Jerusalem heatedly debated “whether all men would finally become like Christ or whether Christ was really a different creature.”

Link

If... If... If you are sincere in wanting to follow Christ... You should be a student of the pre-creed Christian Church.

You will find many things in common with the Latter-Day Church.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mormons got soft.

I've noticed the paradigm shifting since the time I was active in the LDS church as a kid/teen, and now.

They forgot that the government of Missouri literally had open season on them and they ran west for their lives--a journey in which many died from dehydration, starvation, or exposure--only to settle in a barren salt-covered desert wasteland, were denied statehood until they changed their religious practices, and had their prophet and his brother murdered in a jail after unlawful imprisonment.

Short memories.
View Quote
Yeah, given their history of violent persecution, this strikes me as odd.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Several of us have asked people to keep this thread on topic.  Doing so requires that you stop responding to the off topic theological/historical posts.
View Quote
Copy.

I am on my phone, and I was responding from posts above, and missed the this post...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nope.

It is a widely known belief of the pre-creed Christian Church...

Your pastor probably doesn’t focus on the pre-creed Church so much...

As “Mormons” share the belief with the pre-creed Church. An evidence of our truth.

“The notion of theosis is characteristic of church fathers Irenaeus (second century A.D.), Clement of Alexandria (third century A.D.), and Athanasius (fourth century A.D.). Indeed, so pervasive was the doctrine in the fourth century that Athanasius’s archenemies, the Arians, also held the belief and the Origenist monks at Jerusalem heatedly debated “whether all men would finally become like Christ or whether Christ was really a different creature.”

Link

If... If... If you are sincere in wanting to follow Christ... You should be a student of the pre-creed Christian Church.

You will find many things in common with the Latter-Day Church.
View Quote
Did you not read @BushBoar Post?!!!

Can you not help yourself?

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
No it's not odd.  It's all about members=money.  They'll throw out any doctrine if it suits them politically and can get them members.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't he do that to every thread he posts in?  Didn't realize he actually had discussions on guns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Internet religious arguments always change someone’s mind.
View Quote
Funny you say that.  I know of one arfcomer who joined the LDS church from a thread like this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You've been called out by the mods on that also.

Stop it.
View Quote
You have taken to following me around, and taking an issue with me, which is kind of unhealthy and weird...

You hate Mormons, have said as much, and if any Mod puts any weight into your hurt feelings, or opinions about me, they have problems...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Funny you say that.  I know of one arfcomer who joined the LDS church from a thread like this.
View Quote
A thread like this?  The guy is on a gun forum and willingly wanted to give up his 2nd Amendment rights?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No it's not odd.  It's all about members=money.  They'll throw out any doctrine if it suits them politically and can get them members.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly this is true of most churches any more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Meh.

Their church their rules.
View Quote
Meh.

Concealed means concealed.

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Did you not read @BushBoar Post?!!!

Can you not help yourself?

View Quote
I was typing a response while he posted that.

You have an unhealthy obsession with me, bro...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sadly this is true of most churches any more.
View Quote
Yes it is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A thread like this?  The guy is on a gun forum and willingly wanted to give up his 2nd Amendment rights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well we have members, some in this thread who are Hillary, Obama, McCain, Romney, etc. leg humpers so why not.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well we have members, some in this thread who are Hillary, Obama, McCain, Romney, etc. leg humpers so why not.
View Quote
Sadly, what you state is true.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#40]
What if the people are cool, and the religion is trash?

Riddle me that
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What if the people are cool, and the religion is trash?

Riddle me that
View Quote
See it all the time.

On the flip side there are also a lot of shitty people who use being "religious" as a cover.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
It seems lately that the only religious guy in Washington who is standing-the-line against, “Take the guns first” McCain-type swamp-monsters is...

Mike Lee.

Who is a member of the Latter-Day Church.

Even Rand Paul and Cruz are talking about supporting the current, “Take the guns first” push for more gun control in one way or another...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I never did get why people would actively not follow tenets of a religion and then still claim to be followers of the religion. How can you say "I'll just carry anyway lol fuck the rules" and still claim to believe in the tenets of the organization?
View Quote
Probably because it’s an administrative issue and not a theological issue.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

agree.  As far as I know it's the only religion that is allowed to be openly bashed on arfcom like this.  it's hilarious.
View Quote
You must have missed the routine mocking of Christianity by certain members in any GD thread remotely related to Christianity.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It seems lately that the only religious guy in Washington who is standing-the-line against, “Take the guns first” McCain-type swamp-monsters is...

Mike Lee.

Who is a member of the Latter-Day Church.

Even Rand Paul and Cruz are talking about supporting the current, “Take the guns first” push for more gun control in one way or another...
View Quote
Sounds like you are making Coolio's point from his post.

Lee is a pretty big supporter of Trump's policies.  Sounds like an odd person for you to throw out there.  Must be the only name that was LDS that ARFcom wouldn't totally bash.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Happiness Is A Warm Gun (2018 Mix)
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#47]

I dislike that they would bring further attention to their anti-gun stance even if it's just a clarification of an earlier position. They can do as they please though, so haters gonna hate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know another.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Probably because it’s an administrative issue and not a theological issue.
View Quote
Pretty much this, although you don't have to break the rules to understand that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lee is a pretty big supporter of Trump's policies.  Sounds like an odd person for you to throw out there.  Must be the only name that was LDS that ARFcom wouldn't totally bash.
View Quote
Someone small-government conservatives can all support... happens to be an active Latter-Day Saint?

Mike Lee is a good one.

Mike Lee has supported the expansion of Fed giving Sates more control of  land in the West. A good thing.

Lee has absolutely *not* supported (in any way, shape, or form) the explosive deficit spending bills, and the gun control that is coming from “the swamp,” in Washington...
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top