BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have no idea since my question above was a hypothetical.  How much would it cost to manufacture one 14.5 inch AR 15 barrel out of Hastelloy and how much to sell it for?
View Quote
I don’t know what industry SryOfcr is in, but it sounds like he’s in general manufacturing, not a company that’s already making barrels. With the dedicated tooling requirements for barrel making, I’d expect the first barrel to be in the ‘new car’ price range at the least.

You may be able to get it into the 4 digit numbers by having an existing barrel manufacturer do it, but maybe not- they will be risking a lot of very expensive tooling at each stage.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don’t know what industry SryOfcr is in, but it sounds like he’s in general manufacturing, not a company that’s already making barrels. With the dedicated tooling requirements for barrel making, I’d expect the first barrel to be in the ‘new car’ price range at the least.

You may be able to get it into the 4 digit numbers by having an existing barrel manufacturer do it, but maybe not- they will be risking a lot of very expensive tooling at each stage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea since my question above was a hypothetical.  How much would it cost to manufacture one 14.5 inch AR 15 barrel out of Hastelloy and how much to sell it for?

Well, here is a comparison for you:

The M60 barrel was made with a stellite liner, and cost about $2400 apiece back in the 1990s (around $3600 in today's $$$).
The M240 barrel is a conventional chrome plated, monobloc, steel barrel, and cost about $600-$700 apiece today.

Do you think you are going to get more than six times the life?
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think what the military should do is right before they release a new gun to the soldiers is they should send it to Battlefield Las Vegas and let the customers shoot the heck out of it to see how durable it is, use gun ranges with high round counts as a gauge and point of reference.
View Quote
you think rounds downrange = durability.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's the best way to get the AR 15 up to a machine gun status and go toe to toe with a squad automatic?
View Quote
it never can, even with beta mags

mags need to be changed, even beta mags, and the barrel will need to be constantly cooled down or changed
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's the best way to get the AR 15 up to a machine gun status and go toe to toe with a squad automatic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What's the best way to tow a 28ft boat with a Miata? The answer is: don't.

Quoted:

Barrel making is general manufacturing. There's no black magic involved. We'll make whatever you want if you pay for it. If there's a capability that we don't have in house, I have an approved vendor that does and if I don't then I'll find one and qualify them to do it. The problem is, most people are full of shit and won't cough up the cash to actually get it done.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
We (my old company) made gas turbine combustors from hastalloy - so we bent sheets and welded/machined the material. Nothing like building a barrel. Cost seems to be the main issue, just not cost effective even if you can fire 100k rounds.

US Army and USMC already use Inconel for mortar tubes in the latest version of the M224 (60mm). I've heard they have done 81 mm tubes as well - all for weight, not sustained fire or longevity.

The Legacy Mortar Weapon System M224 and newer 60mm M224A1 Lightweight Mortar System are the two 60 mm mortar classifications.  The M224A1 is twenty one (21%) lighter in weight while at the same time maintaining the same range, rates of fire and barrel life as the existing M224 mortar weapon system.
View Quote
The M224A1 uses a cannon tube made from Inconel.  The metal alloy Inconel 718 Unified Numbering System (UNS) N07718 is a nickel chromium material with superior characteristics compared to steel.  The use of Inconel in mortar weapon systems was studied back in 1972 by Battelle Columbus Laboratories, Columbus, OH.  They won Government contract DAAF07-72-R-0082 to do this research for Benet Weapons Laboratory at Watervliet Arsenal, NY.  Inconel as well as other nickel alloys are used by the Defense Department due their heat and corrosion resistances and can be found in items such as Inconel fasteners and Inconel aircraft parts.
View Quote
https://www.bidlink.net/news/2019/07/60-mm-mortar-weapon-systems-models-m224-and-m224a1/
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Barrel making is general manufacturing. There's no black magic involved. We'll make whatever you want if you pay for it. If there's a capability that we don't have in house, I have an approved vendor that does and if I don't then I'll find one and qualify them to do it. The problem is, most people are full of shit and won't cough up the cash to actually get it done.
View Quote
You missed the point. If the OP orders a barrel blank from Kreiger and orders an identical one from me, he’s going to get two very different prices. We both cut steel for a living, but I don’t have a rifling machine. Either I’m going to spend WAY more time making it or subbing it out locally, or I’m going to send it to Kreiger and add my markup to it.

Either way, it will be too expensive to justify.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You missed the point. If the OP orders a barrel blank from Kreiger and orders an identical one from me, he’s going to get two very different prices. We both cut steel for a living, but I don’t have a rifling machine. Either I’m going to spend WAY more time making it or subbing it out locally, or I’m going to send it to Kreiger and add my markup to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I understood your point. I was just highlighting that this is a stupid and expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist but I'm 100% willing to get it done if anyone is dumb enough to pay me for their "experiment", but they won't because it's a stupid and expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist... or they're full of shit. Allow me to reiterate:

Quoted:People shouldn't try to "make things better" without understanding how to match materials science and manufacturing processes with the intended application.
I should also add in "And balance that solution with a cost/benefit analysis".
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
So guns aren't a top priority for expensive research and development and giving our soldiers the best?  I think the research and development that went into the F-22 Raptor should also go into the firearms and body armor we give our soldiers on the front lines.  Time for Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, BAE Systems and members of congress to step up the plate for R&D for soldiers too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So guns aren't a top priority for expensive research and development and giving our soldiers the best?  I think the research and development that went into the F-22 Raptor should also go into the firearms and body armor we give our soldiers on the front lines.  Time for Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, BAE Systems and members of congress to step up the plate for R&D for soldiers too.
View Quote
Truly and honestly no. A service rifle/carbine isn't going to help win a war unless it brings capability/lethality to the table that your adversary doesn't have and that's probably not going to happen with the 19th century technology we're all currently using for ammunition. Wake me up when we have our phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Are any of you familiar with A20X aluminum and also the supposed "super aluminum" that Kobe Steel created in Japan?

http://www.aeromet.co.uk/a20x

https://www.machinedesign.com/news/worlds-strongest-aluminum-alloy

Are there any aluminum alloys that exist that are as strong and heat resistant as Hastelloy and Inconel ?

"Machining Heat Resistant Super Alloys at High Speeds"
Cutting speeds soar on tough-to-machine materials with these new tools from NTK Cutting Tools...
http://www.fabricatingandmetalworking.com/2017/01/machining-heat-resistant-super-alloys-high-speeds/
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Different part of the gun, but could a magnesium alloy be used for the receiver of guns in the future to replace aluminum?

"Researchers from UCLA have created a new kind of metal composite made from magnesium infused with silicon carbide nanoparticles, and it’s both lightweight and super-strong."

https://gizmodo.com/new-magnesium-composite-has-record-breaking-strength-to-1749578336

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature16445?utm_source=commission_junction&utm_medium=affiliate
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Different part of the gun, but could a magnesium alloy be used for the receiver of guns in the future to replace aluminum?

"Researchers from UCLA have created a new kind of metal composite made from magnesium infused with silicon carbide nanoparticles, and it’s both lightweight and super-strong."

https://gizmodo.com/new-magnesium-composite-has-record-breaking-strength-to-1749578336

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature16445?utm_source=commission_junction&utm_medium=affiliate
View Quote
There are magnesium and lithium alloy receivers/hanguards available now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are magnesium and lithium alloy receivers/hanguards available now.
View Quote
Yeah, and in a pinch, you can start a fire with them . . . .
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#19]
You seem to be randomly selecting parts on the AR and then trying to find the most exotic material you can to replace it... because... why?

In order to "improve" something, you first have to identify a problem that needs to be solved. Just randomly saying, "Hey, let's replace this already existing material that does the job with *insert random exotic material*" doesn't make any sense. What is the specific problem you think needs to be solved?
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You seem to be randomly selecting parts on the AR and then trying to find the most exotic material you can to replace it... because... why?

In order to "improve" something, you first have to identify a problem that needs to be solved. Just randomly saying, "Hey, let's replace this already existing material that does the job with *insert random exotic material*" doesn't make any sense. What is the specific problem you think needs to be solved?
View Quote
Which in a round about way brings us to the fact that the AR is a very mature platform. I believe we’ve made it to the “top” where in the confines of ammunition and layout I don’t think we can really squeeze much more out of the AR. Future platforms built from the ground up can take better advantage of the materials and technology that we have today but trying to do it while “stuck” with the AR may be an impossible task.

The nerd in me however loves these discussions and learning about what the future may hold.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to work in the research department of Haynes International, which is the company that owns the HASTELLOY trademark.

First thing to know is that Hastelloy is a brand name, it doesn't connotate any particular alloy composition, other than all the alloys sold under that name are nickel based.  There have been at least dozen Hastelloy alloy compositions sold.  Hastelloy X is rather an old one, the patents are long expired and it has become genericized on the market.

The same goes for INCONEL, which is a trademark of the Special Metals Corporation.  There are lots of different Inconel alloy compositions on the market.

If you are going to ask questions like "which is better, Hastelloy or Inconel", you need to specify which ones.  Hastelloy C-276 will blow Inconel 600 out of the water in a hot, aqueous acid application, but would likely suffer in comparison to Inconel 686.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I found this, a 1911 made out of magnesium ZK60A-T5...

Quote: "Practically speaking, this means an AR rifle weighing 4.5 pounds."...

https://americancopmagazine.com/ultimate-arms-and-the-magnesium-revolution/

"Rick began working on a magnesium-based gun back in 2014. But after many disappointing failures, Rick finally pulled it off with an alloy blend using zirconium, which makes the magnesium noncorrosive. The official designation of this now-patent-pending material is ZK60A-T5".   I mention this because I believe you’ll be seeing it in the materials lists of other firearms in the future. In fact, the last time I visited with Rick, he was in the process of making a .50-caliber barrel from this magnesium-zirconium blend."...
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2019/07/ultimate-arms-magna-t5/

Ultimate Arms Ultra-Lightweight M4-AR Air Lite Black Widow weighs around 5 pounds...
http://uaarms.com/m4-ar-air-lite-black-widow-rifle/#.XcI_2TNKhPY

Are any of you familiar with the Ultimate Arms 1911 made out of magnesium ZK60A-T5?

Also, just to add, Formula 1 wheels are made out of AZ70 and AZ80 magnesium.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I found this, a 1911 made out of magnesium ZK60A-T5...

Quote: "Practically speaking, this means an AR rifle weighing 4.5 pounds."...

https://americancopmagazine.com/ultimate-arms-and-the-magnesium-revolution/

"Rick began working on a magnesium-based gun back in 2014. But after many disappointing failures, Rick finally pulled it off with an alloy blend using zirconium, which makes the magnesium noncorrosive. The official designation of this now-patent-pending material is ZK60A-T5".   I mention this because I believe you’ll be seeing it in the materials lists of other firearms in the future. In fact, the last time I visited with Rick, he was in the process of making a .50-caliber barrel from this magnesium-zirconium blend."...
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2019/07/ultimate-arms-magna-t5/

Ultimate Arms Ultra-Lightweight M4-AR Air Lite Black Widow weighs around 5 pounds...
http://uaarms.com/m4-ar-air-lite-black-widow-rifle/#.XcI_2TNKhPY

Are any of you familiar with the Ultimate Arms 1911 made out of magnesium ZK60A-T5?

Also, just to add, Formula 1 wheels are made out of AZ70 and AZ80 magnesium.
View Quote
Not exotic enuff for me...

I want a 1911 or AR15 made from the wreckage of the Roswell crash. Or any of the other craft housed at Groom Lake S2
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hastelloy C-276 will blow Inconel 600 out of the water in a hot, aqueous acid application, but would likely suffer in comparison to Inconel 686.
View Quote
How does Inconel 625 compare to Inconel 686 and Hastelloy C-276 with regards to temperature and corrosion resistance?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#27]
625 was originally conceived as a heat resistant alloy but has found wide application in corrosive aqueous environments.  C-276 and 686 were always intended for aqueous corrosion resistance.  They have much higher molybdenum contents which tends to improve pitting resistance and performance in non-oxidizing acids, and in those environments I would expect the latter two alloys to perform better.  Oxidizing acids tend to be governed by the presence of chromium and in that regard they are all about the same.

Back to the question at hand, all of these materials are purely austenitic, solid-solution alloys.  As such they are not particularly hard and in rifle barrel use would probably fail due to abrasive wear.  If I was looking at trying something exotic for a barrel I would look at some of the high-strength, gamma-double-prime hardened alloys that came out after I left the company, such as the Haynes 282.  But it's hard to imagine any of them outperforming Stellite.

In terms of cost, a volume buyer of a commodity alloy like Inconel 625 might be able to get it under $15 per pound.  A proprietary nickel alloy still under patent but with little or no cobalt might go up to $40 per pound.  These prices are heavily tied to the market rates for nickel which is much more volatile that iron.  Cobalt alloys are usually more expensive still, I've seen them close to $70 per pound, and raw cobalt swings in market price like crazy.  For comparison, chrome-moly steel bar is typically something like $1.50 per pound.

They are all hard to machine, and achieving precise tolerances and good surface finish is tough.  They actually forge pretty well, if your machinery has enough power to do the job.  Trying to cold hammer forge a nickel alloy barrel might actually produce decent results.  Button rifling on the other hand would probably be a recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:But it's hard to imagine any of them outperforming Stellite.
View Quote
"Stellite" is also a trademarked name owned by Kennametal Inc for a range of cobalt-chromium-iron alloys.

Some Stellite alloys are less useful as liners that others.  I believe current liners are made from Stellite 21.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Have we settled on how to make the world's most expensive AR with little to no tangible benefit to the user yet?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have we settled on how to make the world's most expensive AR with little to no tangible benefit to the user yet?
View Quote
You need to relax. Is this a silly exercise in feasibility? Certainly. But there's no harm in having some discussion on the topic because one day it will be relevant. I enjoy having people chime in who have knowledge on the topics where I can learn something versus somebody just saying "No. This is a waste of time."
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Looking at Kennametal's website, the Stellite family of alloys seems interesting, what caught my eye was Tribaloy alloy.  Any of you familiar with it?

"Tribaloy™ alloys, with either nickel or cobalt base, were developed for applications in which extreme wear is combined with high temperatures and corrosive media. Their high molybdenum content accounts for the excellent dry-running properties of Tribaloy™ alloys and makes them very suitable for use in adhesive (metal-tometal) wear situations. Tribaloy™ alloys can be used up to 800–1000° C (1472–1832° F)."

https://www.kennametal.com/content/dam/kennametal/kennametal/common/Resources/Catalogs-Literature/Stellite/B-18-05723_KMT_Stellite_Alloys_Brochure_Direct_update_LR.pdf
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You need to relax. Is this a silly exercise in feasibility? Certainly. But there's no harm in having some discussion on the topic because one day it will be relevant. I enjoy having people chime in who have knowledge on the topics where I can learn something versus somebody just saying "No. This is a waste of time."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm just enjoying the lulz. OP asks about Unobtainium-1. A SME comes along to tell him why it won't work or isn't feasible. OP then asks about Unobtainium-2, while espousing its virtues as used in applications wholly unrelated to firearms. Another, or possibly the same, SME tells OP why it won't work. And around and around we go.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
You know, a metallic hydrogen receiver set would be really, really light . . .
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Stellite is a trademarked name of Deloro Stellite Company supplying Stellite alloys like Stellite3, Stellite 6, Stellite 12 and Stellite 21. Deloro Stellite Company also supplies other products like casting, machinery, welding, coating, knives and many others...

Engineering Support - "Whatever your engineering challenge is, we have the experience and expertise to solve it."

https://www.deloro.com/

Looks like I found my guys.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Back up.

First, write down the functions of a gun barrel.  First a smooth bore, then a rifled bore.

Then, write down the characteristics a gun barrel must possess.  Along side each characteristic write down the minimum acceptable performance, the "dream" maximum performance goal.

After that, examine each performance metric and define how it can be met; that will establish a list of candidate materials, or processes, or materials plus processes.  Include the cost of each candidate.

After making this huge matrix of information, strike out the impossible.  Stack each metric against current common practice, then make an honest evaluation of the improvement over state of the art, and its cost.

Shortly after that whether to ask the bank for money will be clear.
View Quote
Why do I need to do all that for?  That's what engineering companies like Deloro and Kennametal Inc are there for.  They're the specialists who specialize in that.  I'll let them figure it out.  You're not jealous are you?  See, you thought I was going to be dependent on you.  Don't make the same mistakes as Colt, don't let other companies go ahead like LMT, KAC, POF.  You can't rest on your laurels.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I almost spit out my Dr. Pepper. Jerk.

Quoted:
Looks like I found my guys.
No you didn't. I advise against contacting engineering companies to bounce your ideas off of. Someone will be getting paid to respond to you and take time and attention away from actual customers. There's a reason that most decent manufacturing companies are B2B, so we don't have to field 100 calls a day from people asking us to make them a bracket to mount something on their pickup.

My advice? Join an engineering or metallurgy group on LinkedIn or something and ask your questions there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In for your quoted pricing per sample.
View Quote
Cost Per Part Program...
https://www.kennametal.com/en/services/cost-per-part-program.html

Rapid Response Centers...
https://www.kennametal.com/en/services/rapid-response-center.html
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Back up.

First, write down the functions of a gun barrel.  First a smooth bore, then a rifled bore.

Then, write down the characteristics a gun barrel must possess.  Along side each characteristic write down the minimum acceptable performance, the "dream" maximum performance goal.  After that, add the new characteristics you want to add, along with the performance goals.

After that, examine each performance metric and define how it can be met; that will establish a list of candidate materials, or processes, or materials plus processes.  Include the cost of each candidate.

After making this huge matrix of information, strike out the impossible.  Stack each metric against current common practice, then make an honest evaluation of the improvement over state of the art, and its cost.

View Quote
OP ain't got time fo' that. He's already drawn up his wish list for Santa Claus, that should be good enough. Now give him a quote.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why do I need to do all that for?  That's what engineering companies like Deloro and Kennametal Inc are there for.  They're the specialists who specialize in that.  I'll let them figure it out.  You're not jealous are you?  See, you thought I was going to be dependent on you.  Don't make the same mistakes as Colt, don't let other companies go ahead like LMT, KAC, POF.  You can't rest on your laurels.
View Quote
Dear baby Jesus, can a mod PLEASE move this GD where it can get the treatment it deserves?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back up.

Then, write down the characteristics a gun barrel must possess.  Along side each characteristic write down the minimum acceptable performance, the "dream" maximum performance goal.

Probably because it's the basis for design and specifying an engineering project.

Quoted:

Cost Per Part Program...
https://www.kennametal.com/en/services/cost-per-part-program.html

Rapid Response Centers...
https://www.kennametal.com/en/services/rapid-response-center.html
What's hilarious is that you don't even know what you don't know so you're posting stuff that just makes you look more clueless.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I wish I got in on the 17-4 barrels noveske did a while back.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You are the customer, and you don't understand the product you want.  Not in any way.
View Quote
Sure he does: Just make it "better".
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wish I got in on the 17-4 barrels noveske did a while back.
View Quote
I’ve talked to Faxon about it, too. They want a lot of barrels and a lot of money.

Link Posted: 11/6/2019 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I advise against contacting engineering companies to bounce your ideas off of. Someone will be getting paid to respond to you and take time and attention away from actual customers.
View Quote
Kennemetal-Stellite is not an engineering firm, they are a specialty materials supplier, and they would likely be more than happy to have an applications engineer talk to him for a few minutes.  I used to work that end of the phone, and while I took calls from some very well informed people, I also took them from overly-enthusiastic newbie engineers at NASA and yokel operators from pulp and paper plants in the middle of nowhere and other people who thought they had some wonderful idea that would shake up their organization, but were usually unworkable.  My company did not view such calls as a waste of time, but rather as a marketing expense.  You never knew when the guy calling in was actually on to something.

I will advise the OP though that he needs to spend some time thinking about the actual failure mechanisms that he is proposing to thwart.  Most of the alloys advertised as temperature resistant are designed to resist the metallurgical and corrosion reactions that cause deterioration after thousands of hours of sustained temperatures over 800°C.  Guns get moderately hot, but only for brief periods usually measured in minutes, and most of the failure mechansisms commercial alloys are designed around won't apply.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Inconel is exceptional for use in high pressure, high temp (absolute temp and temp delta) applications...but it's pricey and a massive pain to work with.
View Quote
Came here to suggest Inconel.  It is used for the center shaft journals in automotive/diesel/industrial engine turbochargers where temperatures at the journal surface get up close to 1500 degrees F. for extended periods of time.

For a product that small in diameter and short in length, it is an affordable, practical approach to keeping turbos that spin well over 100,000 rpm in very high temperatures operating for many years.

It would not be practical for barrel making because of its work-hardening tendencies during machining and its expense.  Its cost-to-benefit ratio for use in small arms barrels would not be very attractive.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top