Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 84
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wouldn't say "Likely" as everything is speculation at this point.  It could be anything.

I have recently seen first hand an undiagnosed brain tumor cause someone to turn into a completely different person with zero impulse control.

The time from "Holy shit, this is not the person I know" to someone finding him dead in his house was only a couple of weeks.
View Quote

I'm a Bayesian practitioner that doesn't believe in brainstorming.   I think the degreed and licensed experts failed this guy, his victims and are ultimately responsible for the carnage.  Anyone that threatens to shoot up a US military base will find themselves facing a felony.  Not this guy.  He was set free by the authoritarian and MD idiots that want everyone to be treated as the least common denominator of mass murderer and hand over their guns.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I was hoping to bow hunt today but 65F is too warm for me.  Very pleasant to sit in the stand but I like to hang and butcher my deer after a few days.   Need much cooler weather.   I miss having a garage fridge where I could immediately quarter  a deer and keep it chilled a few days to lose some moisture out of the meat before cut and wrapping.   Drying your venison a touch makes a better product and avoids wet unpackable burgers.

No telling what the guy’s logic might be.  Perhaps he did cap himself mid river,.....but why?   If you are going that route most just do it in the vehicle or walk a short distance in the woods.   Been to a few of those self deaded in the woods calls.    One spot three times. .  First hung himself over a break up, second was a despondent guy iirc post domestic.  He set himself up a lawn chair in a loop just off the road and put a tactical 870 under his chin.   Third walked back in the woods off that same loop and shot himself.  

View Quote

I agree the mid river thing is weird. I just hope they find the fucker today somewhere dead.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm a Bayesian practitioner that doesn't believe in brainstorming.   I think the degreed and licensed experts failed this guy, his victims and are ultimately responsible for the carnage.  Anyone that threatens to shoot up a US military base will find themselves facing a felony.  Not this guy.  He was set free by the authoritarian and MD idiots that want everyone to be treated as the least common denominator of mass murderer and hand over their guns.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bingo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

Ayup. Excellent post.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.wmtw.com/article/live-updates-lewiston-maine-mass-shooting-robert-card-october-27/45662444
Maine's deer hunting season is scheduled to begin on Saturday, amid the ongoing search for the suspect in the mass shootings in Lewiston, Maine.

Maine's Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said there are "conversations" taking place with the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.

"I would expect to hear more about that later in the day," Maine's Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said. "It's a big deal. We know what that's going to look like."

"We also know we're in the woods," Sauschuck said. "If you just happen to be in the woods, minding your own business, going for a walk, that's going to make us a little concerned."

https://mediaproxy.salon.com/width/1200/height/675/https://media.salon.com/2013/02/car_shot.jpg

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Army is going to get sued for this, much like the Air Force did over Sutherland Springs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Army is going to get sued for this, much like the Air Force did over Sutherland Springs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did that turn out.. Did anyone lose their jobs? Large judgement?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Difference is one is straight neglect of reporting a conviction.

This case is subjective as to what was going on and interpretation of the actual circumstances regarding the mental crisis.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

144.5 million.

Revamped military and local reporting of convictions
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/04/05/sutherland-springs-lawsuit-air-force/

The U.S. Justice Department has reached a tentative $144.5 million settlement with victims and relatives of those killed in the 2017 mass shooting at a church in Sutherland Springs, and plans to end its appeal of a lawsuit that found the U.S. Air Force partially responsible for the attack.

In a July 2021 ruling, U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez found the Air Force was “60 percent liable” for the attack. He cited the background check failures and other disturbing details uncovered at trial, including that Air Force officials were aware that the gunman had previously researched and threatened a mass shooting and had a history of severe mental health issues that led officials to declare him to be “dangerous” and “a threat” — information they did not share with others.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This shit happened back in the day as well.
View Quote

I think who considers what era to be "back in the day" is relevant to this conversation.

If your back in the day was pre 1960's then no, there were not the mass shootings at the frequency and body count we have now.

If your back in the day starts around Columbine then yes, mass shootings have been happening.

Pretty safe to say we had less mass shootings from 1920 to 1970 (50 yrs) than we have had in the last couple of years. It just wasn't trendy....back in the day. And self-defense was not looked down upon. It was expected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tentative settlement of $144.5 million
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

they should be sued; but I don't think the Army leadership and their political bosses care, since there's no evidence that they do.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think who considers what era to be "back in the day" is relevant to this conversation.

If your back in the day was pre 1960's then no, there were not the mass shootings at the frequency and body count we have now.

If your back in the day starts around Columbine then yes, mass shootings have been happening.

Pretty safe to say we had less mass shootings from 1920 to 1970 (50 yrs) than we have had in the last couple of years. It just wasn't trendy....back in the day. And self-defense was not looked down upon. It was expected.

View Quote

I can't recall the backstory, but I remember a thread in GD having to do with a school shooter threat in the 70's. There were pics of students guarding the classrooms with the deer rifles/shotguns they had in their vehicles. Someone in this thread will know what I'm referring to, I'm sure. It was a different world back then.

Interesting how mass shooting events started to become far more commonplace during the Clinton administration
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This shit happened back in the day as well.

Account for population total and density thereof and it paints a different picture.

As far as it seems to me - people are like grasshoppers. Pack enough together in a small enough area and the behavior flips. You end up with locusts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

they should be sued; but I don't think the Army leadership and their political bosses care, since there's no evidence that they do.
View Quote

every federal bureau has a flagrant disregard for liability
I mean, it's our money, what's it to them?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

every federal bureau has a flagrant disregard for liability
I mean, it's our money, what's it to them?
View Quote

Yep.  They have a flagrant disregard for rights and the law also.  It's disgusting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I can't recall the backstory, but I remember a thread in GD having to do with a school shooter threat in the 70's. There were pics of students guarding the classrooms with the deer rifles/shotguns they had in their vehicles. Someone in this thread will know what I'm referring to, I'm sure. It was a different world back then.

Interesting how mass shooting events started to become far more commonplace during the Clinton administration
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds about right. I was in jr high and high school in the 70's and mass shootings just were not happening enough or at all to even really be a topic. All of my uncles and my grandads had rifles and shotguns in wood racks on the walls or in closets. Firearms were not the forbidden fruit yet. And the mass retardation we currently see hadn't surfaced yet either. It's a brave new world for sure.

Que the All in the Family theme song.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looks like police surrounded some poor couple walking their dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police have someone on the ground, live on FOX

Looks like police surrounded some poor couple walking their dog.

Did the dog survive?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Account for population total and density thereof and it paints a different picture.

As far as it seems to me - people are like grasshoppers. Pack enough together in a small enough area and the behavior flips. You end up with locusts.
View Quote

Or mice... see Universe 25
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Jeramiah Johnson head nod of approval Gif here.

It's not the same around here with Jerimiah gone.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#23]
He went for soft targets. I don't believe they can carry were alcohol is served.
Every time they make a law it kills someone. I could be wrong if so I apologize.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Jeramiah Johnson head nod of approval Gif here.

It's not the same around here with Jerimiah gone.
View Quote

Here ya' go . . .

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I know this is a wild idea but hear me out. What if there was a well regulated and trained group of local men that were not law enforcement but could respond to events that put the community in great danger that required large amounts of armed people to resolve quickly?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Youd think they would have done that already, like looking the water by the boat launch.

Which apparently they're just now doing

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know this is a wild idea but hear me out. What if there was a well regulated and trained group of local men that were not law enforcement but could respond to events that put the community in great danger that required large amounts of armed people to resolve quickly?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Ayup, that's the one.

I went through junior high and high school in the late 90's/early 2000's. Bringing a gun to school = campus wide lockdown, felony arrest, your name and face in the news and expulsion. No one ever brought one to the best of my knowledge. Having a simple pocket knife would lead to suspension and a call to the cops at minimum. Cops coming in once a month with K9s to sniff out weed in lockers was the norm.

The college I went to wouldn't even allow carry of OC spray
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#31]

That's more like it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Youd think they would have done that already, like looking the water by the boat launch.

View Quote

I’m sure they’ve heard of Garmin up there in Maine.  My neighbor is an FWC officer and has recovered submerged bodies using LiveScope sonar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The U.S. Justice Department has reached a tentative $144.5 million settlement with victims and relatives of those killed in the 2017 mass shooting at a church in Sutherland Springs, and plans to end its appeal of a lawsuit that found the U.S. Air Force partially responsible for the attack.

In a July 2021 ruling, U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez found the Air Force was “60 percent liable” for the attack. He cited the background check failures and other disturbing details uncovered at trial, including that Air Force officials were aware that the gunman had previously researched and threatened a mass shooting and had a history of severe mental health issues that led officials to declare him to be “dangerous” and “a threat” — information they did not share with others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I’m sure they’ve heard of Garmin up there in Maine.  My neighbor is an FWC officer and has recovered submerged bodies using LiveScope sonar.
View Quote

There's a Garmin office (not their HQ, but still significant) in Yarmouth. It's home to the world's largest model of earth - Eartha.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasn't there recently a posse formed to look for that escaped convict in Pennsylvania, or was that some other recent place?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ayup, that's the one.

I went through junior high and high school in the late 90's/early 2000's. Bringing a gun to school = campus wide lockdown, felony arrest, your name and face in the news and expulsion. No one ever brought one to the best of my knowledge. Having a simple pocket knife would lead to suspension and a call to the cops at minimum. Cops coming in once a month with K9s to sniff out weed in lockers was the norm.

View Quote

I graduated high school 1989.
My chemistry teacher asked to borrow my knife once.
In grade school, you weren't cool if you didn't have a Buck in a  sheath on your belt.  Hell, the school I attended as a freshmen had a smoking lounge for students.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ayup, that's the one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ayup, that's the one.

Graduated high school early 80s.
We had a gun club. Weekly, after school meetings. Anyone could attend. Gun safety,  cleaning and maintenance were covered for anyone wanting to show up. Once a month, members went to the range in a school owned van. It was not unusual to see guys walking through the halls after school with gun cases, slung rifles or holstered handguns headed for the meeting room.

What our schools have turned in to sucks out loud.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ayup, that's the one.

View Quote

I'm probably the same age as you. I remember all those things. I started HS in a podunk mountain town in Washington and we had the dogs come through for weed but never any guns that I remember. When I got back to Florida though, it happened quite a bit. Mainly hoodrats doing hoodrat shit though.

I hear some people may or may not have carried their concealed handgun to their local college classes on more than one occasion.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wasn't there recently a posse formed to look for that escaped convict in Pennsylvania, or was that some other recent place?
View Quote

I thought that was just that one GD member.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So is it like GA, you are free to ignore posted signs and CCW and if they happen to see your gun, they can ask you to leave?  And then only if you do not leave, you are trespassing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gun free zones do not lawfully mean anything in Maine aside from the usual places like federal buildings and a few other particular areas.

So is it like GA, you are free to ignore posted signs and CCW and if they happen to see your gun, they can ask you to leave?  And then only if you do not leave, you are trespassing?

Nope.  Per my post way above , if the place is posted, you can't carry:

From the NRA ILA Web site re Maine, under Possession
:
It is unlawful for a person, other than a law enforcement officer or a private investigator, to possess a firearm in a liquor-licensed establishment that is posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms. It is unlawful for any person to possess a firearm while under the influence in such an establishment. In addition to other penalties, a person convicted of a violation faces revocation of any carry permit and remains ineligible to obtain or apply for a permit to carry a concealed firearm for five years from the date of that conviction. 17-A M.R.S.A. § 1057.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm probably the same age as you. I remember all those things. I started HS in a podunk mountain town in Washington and we had the dogs come through for weed but never any guns that I remember. When I got back to Florida though, it happened quite a bit. Mainly hoodrats doing hoodrat shit though.

I hear some people may or may not have carried their concealed handgun to their local college classes on more than one occasion.
View Quote

In 2009 I went back to college to finish my degree. They had their little signs and I had loose fitting shirts.

The on campus security guards plan for an active shooter was to run to a safe location and call 911. I know that because they actually told me that.

Ain't nobody coming to save you in this world. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who the hell could possibly want a gun for this situation that doesn't already have at least one????
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Graduated high school early 80s.
We had a gun club. Weekly, after school meetings. Anyone could attend. Gun safety,  cleaning and maintenance were covered for anyone wanting to show up. Once a month, members went to the range in a school owned van. It was not unusual to see guys walking through the halls after school with gun cases, slung rifles or holstered handguns headed for the meeting room.

What our schools have turned in to sucks out loud.
View Quote

My high school on Long Island had a rifle range in the basement and it used to be a varsity sport!  That was before my time though, mid ‘80s
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

They seem pretty sure he hasn't left the area, maybe because they have no indicators that he did yet? Dude can't show his face anywhere, and if he's alive he'll have to eventually.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Several news sources are reporting that he used a 308 rifle, so technically it wasn't an AR-15.  Not that it matters...  
View Quote

i saw that mentioned a whole bunch of pages ago, 7.62x51 was mentioned.  so that makes it an AR-10 type (large-frame AR).  guessing it wouldn't be a SFAR.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Who the hell could possibly want a gun for this situation that doesn't already have at least one????
View Quote

When your local reps publicly state that they’re now going for a ban, this is the predictable result
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top