Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW, if any retirement or SSI was involved, you want to contact the Dept. of Labor Pension Fraud unit.  They put people away for pension fraud (had a friend who did this).
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Just spoke to a few other long time former employees having the same problems. Another one is going to make an appointment with the IRS to confirm what we all think is happening

someone just told me to file a class action lawsuit against them
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

cooperate with what?
View Quote

Tax cops.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you were never officially employed, it sounds to me like the IRS owes you seven years of back taxes, and the state owes you a whole bunch of unemployment compensation....

I'm just kidding.  Do NOT take me seriously.
View Quote

The employer asserts he was never an employee until this last year.  Up until now, the IRS agreed.  OP needs to shut up and get an attorney.  Admit NOTHING, deny everything, and make counteraccusations. IRS wants to claim he owes taxes, IMO they need to prove it.  They have nothing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tax cops.
View Quote

I'm not being accused of anything
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The employer asserts he was never an employee until this last year.  Up until now, the IRS agreed.  OP needs to shut up and get an attorney.  Admit NOTHING, deny everything, and make counteraccusations. IRS wants to claim he owes taxes, IMO they need to prove it.  They have nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you were never officially employed, it sounds to me like the IRS owes you seven years of back taxes, and the state owes you a whole bunch of unemployment compensation....

I'm just kidding.  Do NOT take me seriously.

Pretty hard to claim OP was never an employee when OP should easily be able to prove he was paid by said employer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not in any trouble. There may be a huge case against them already. The FBI and IRS criminal division interviewed current and past employees. I was out of town when this happened.

From the questions being asked, people think they committed PPP loan fraud while most of us were laid off due to Covid

Eta: The feds of course couldn't tell us any information
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you wait until an accusation is made to lawyer up, it's way too late
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It sounds like your employer is the one in trouble.
View Quote

This not you, when you filed your taxes you had to be going off of a W2....If you are like me and you have your tax papers going back 80 years, you should be in good shape.

Joking on the 80 years, I save -10 years, as a new year is added to the files and year goes into the shredder.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This not you, when you filed your taxes you had to be going off of a W2....If you are like me and you have your tax papers going back 80 years, you should be in good shape.

Joking on the 80 years, I save -10 years, as a new year is added to the files and year goes into the shredder.

View Quote

I can get a few but not all of them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tax cops.

yet.

be careful about using words like "manager" in describing your role in the company. when they see all the unpaid emplyment taxes they may decide to include you on their umbrella of targets of responsible persons

get a lawyer and stop writing in a public forum

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just spoke to a few other long time former employees having the same problems.
View Quote

I wouldn't let them get away with this. It is not just about a few tax return dollars. I am not 100% sure but I would think this is screwing with your retirement check amounts, If you become disabled or seriously hurt down the road, I would think this would affect that. Maybe other things. Employer is messing with ya'lls lives just so he can buy more properties and boats.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry this is happen.  Guess those 87,000 IRS employees is working for the government.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did you happen to save the paper copy W2 they created/sent you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going to try and keep this brief. I met with the IRS at the local office yesterday due to problems with previous tax returns. The lady told me there is no record of me ever working there. The company never sent them my W-2s. It got flagged when I became a supervisor and the federal withholding I claimed was much higher.

It appears they were pocketing the money they were taking out of my check for 7 years.

They are/were being investigated for PPP loan
fraud by IRS criminal investigation division/FBI

I have called the IRS, FTC, social security, US department of labor, labor attorneys and they're all telling me to call someone else.

Labor attorney is going to review and get back to me. This is happening to or has happened to multiple people that have worked for the company in the past.

Idk what to do or who to call. This feels fucking awful.

Help

Did you happen to save the paper copy W2 they created/sent you?

I know a guy currently in federal prison for much less. He was late getting 401k and other stuff into accounts. The DOL began investigating and found release of claims on .gov contracts where subs weren’t paid so basically fraud.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your angus. Pepper it.
View Quote

Fuckkkkkk, the IRS is gonna love you long time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Did they do a full Bernie Madoff and just write you fake stubs? Or did they simply not file properly?

That's fucked up either way. I have the state crawling up my ass if I'm even a week late on a PFL payment or something, I have a state audit on my payroll reporting in two weeks actually.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your angus. Pepper it.

I didn't do anything wrong
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If they weren't paying the IRS, then they probably weren't paying SS, unemployment, and maybe even state/local taxes. All of whom will come knocking once they figure it out.
View Quote

if the gov comes after the OP for that money its time to go killdozer.  that is so wrong.  they piss away billions in Ukraine and come after some guy who just went to work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
That is why you are always supposed to keep past tax returns. I do 10 years the rule is 7.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your angus. Pepper it.

You should probably at least talk to a lawyer about suing your employer for that money, that way if they do came after you for it you'll have something to show them.

That has to be a shit load of money after 7 years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your angus. Pepper it.

neither did kyle rittenhouse

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is what the woman from the IRS told me

My dad worked for the same company for 20 years and ran into a problem with Social security when he retired. Eventually they pushed it through and paid my pops $15,000 in back pay.
View Quote

10 years of it?

Your SS retirement check is based on 35 years of income and SS payments from them.

You may get shorted in SS assuming it is still a thing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You should probably at least talk to a lawyer about suing your employer for that money, that way if they do came after you for it you'll have something to show them.

That has to be a shit load of money after 7 years.
View Quote

That's the plan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

While true expect a bill for the 7 years of taxes that were not paid to the IRS.  Oh, and you get to send back those refunds too.  If the IRS is feeling generous they will waive the late payment penalties and interest.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#25]
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT / REMINDER:

When you get your W-2 for say calendar year 2022, you need to check the numbers on your W-2 against the year-to-day numbers on the very last paycheck stub of the year.

I worked for a construction company years ago, and that is how we figured out that the book keeper was embezzling from the company.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#26]
It's gotta take some real balls or a really stupid person to pull something like that, and apply for a PPP loan with what I'm assuming are falsified payroll reports.

I get nervous when the payroll company does my quarterly audit and ends up taking like an extra $50 for some mishap or another in the filing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The first thing you should be doing is calling a local attorney and see if you can get a free consultation. If you've got a solid case, they'll let you know.

Why people come to GD for advice like this never ceases to amaze me. No offense op.
View Quote

you must be new here.  chances are there are members here who have dealt with anything someone posts before or can offer good insight.  you just have to sift through the BS.  there are some smart, experienced people on this site.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]
My brother in law had an employer do that to him, but caught it the first year.  His boss told him he was lucky to have a job and to be thankful.  He was not amused.

Not sure how it played out, but he did everything he could to make things right.  I know his boss got into some hot water over it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm guessing that your employer is about to get loved tenderly by the feds.  Get your suit in, and try to get paid quick.  And perhaps start looking for a new job.

And what does your employer say about all of this?

Edit...I see that it is your former employer.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You probably will need to get a settlement with the IRS to pay back the withholding  your are missing, and you will need to go after your former employer for the money they stole.

View Quote

Where'd you get this info?

Previous cases I have seen the IRS, State Dept of Revenue, and the Workers Comp commission will be tearing into the company and responsible parties. Employer scams like this aren't uncommon, and the employer is on the hook for the stolen withholding.

Consulting a tax attorney is a good idea, as they will run interference with the IRS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It sounds like your employer is the one in trouble.
View Quote
This.  Get copies of a couple pay stubs and a w2 and show them it was being deducted and not remitted.  It should clear itself up no problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes. Each year

i don't owe them anything. I have no clue what the fuck is going on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get tax returns back? Might owe them that?

Yes. Each year

i don't owe them anything. I have no clue what the fuck is going on

Did the IRS say you didn't owe them anything?  Because it sounds like the IRS is going to buttfuck you next.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your angus. Pepper it.

The IRS doesn't care if you did anything wrong.  They care about getting their money.  They don't even care who they get it from.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The IRS doesn't care if you did anything wrong.  They care about getting their money.  They don't even care who they get it from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your angus. Pepper it.

OP didn't break any laws, his employer did.  I'm sure a good lawyer will be able to clear it up.  

Not saying it won't suck, but you are being a little hysterical.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I guess you're correct. They have multiple houses in different states. $80,000 vehicles. Jet skis, boats, shit ton of guns, gold and silver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically you didn't right? You actually helped make payments on your employer's home, cars, and boat. Didn't he pocket all the money? You need to sue the crap out of him and get your money back. Take a lien out on his property till you are paid in full.

I guess you're correct. They have multiple houses in different states. $80,000 vehicles. Jet skis, boats, shit ton of guns, gold and silver.

“Had” gold and sliver…
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had a problem with the IRS that went to my bank, without notifying me, and deducted several thousand dollars from a corporation bank account to pay with holding taxes on my employees. The bank wrote a letter to me about the withdrawal….the IRS never contacted me. Problem was the taxes had been paid, and I had the cancelled checks and all of the paper work to prove the taxes were paid.

I got a run around from the IRS for about 6 months and finally realized they really didn’t really care about resolving the problem. I went to my local congressman’s office and asked for help. I provided all of my paperwork including cancelled checks, etc. After 2 months his staff still could not get the problem solved. Readers Digest version is I personally went to a public speech my congressman was at and talked directly to him. I got a refund plus interest in a few days.

Contact your congressman’s office ASAP and file a complaint. Take all of the checks, tax returns and any documents you have. The employees there are office workers and are not political. Stay on their backs. If you are not making progress that satisfies you, call their office in Washington. I found out the squeaky wheels gets oiled. Let the IRS contact know you have contacted your congressman’s office.

You paid your taxes. Your employer committed fraud. I cannot imagine that you are libel for their fraud.
View Quote

The power of a congressional inquiry to make GS employees jump to and do their jobs is AMAZING…
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have some of them. They are most likely buried in a storage unit in Idaho. I did file with H&R Block for a few years so they will have copies.

Problem is the woman said it doesn't matter. They have no record from the company. They can see I filed dating back to 2013 but there were no tax transcripts sent to them from the employer.
View Quote

All I have to add, is you have already started working with an attorney, so you're light years beyond GD's normal oh shit situations.  Keep pushing until it is all fixed for you.

Other than that, you need to work on the way you handle these important documents.

There is nothing wrong with paper copies in folders organized by year, but I do that with digital copies now.  Most tax information documents are sent to me digital, so it is easy to save.  Those I get in the mail such as 1098s from a mortgage are easy enough to scan in.  I have from 06 to now readily available if I need it.  

Stuffed in a storage container or unorganized in a computer folder is no good.  

Furthermore, and it was likely already mentioned by someone much smarter than me, sign up for an online social security account and IRS account so you can actually check what the .gov is tracking with you.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#38]
A former employer of 17 years fucked me pretty good. At least he got cancer and died shortly after. It's been 5 years since then and I'm still pretty mad about it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Assuming no different than OP laid out, don’t know how you would be “in trouble” with the IRS.  Sounds like someone at your previous employer is going to prison.  As long as you have your paperwork showing you submitted a w2, filed your taxes, you did nothing wrong.  Sure, you may have some pain point here while it works out, but … one again, assuming you’ve completely laid out the whole story in the OP, it would seem someone else is going to have a lot more pain.  As in a pain in the literal butt with possible prison love making.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Check with your local unemployment agency to see if they were at least paying unemployment insurance on you.

Not a great help, but it could be an easy next step to take and could the unemployment agency could start an investigation.
View Quote
I worked for a company once for 6 months that didn't report anything.
When they laid me off i filed for unemployment and they said no wages reported. I gave them my check stubs and they took care of the rest.
Turned out they'd done the same to others.
I think i got my unemployment after just a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wtf?  Ummm so you haven’t done your taxes for 7 yrs?   How the hell did you not know this?

This is a troll thread Im calling BS
View Quote

Good Lord don't you know how to flipping read?!?!

Dude, he already said he's filed every year using the W2 his shitty employer gave him. That it was a fraudulent W2 was not information known to him at that time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#42]
How were the payroll checks generated? Were they made by a Paycheck company, such as PayChex? If so, I am sure they keep digital records of all their transactions. Maybe a good lawyer could subpoena them to get your info for the case.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I'm reading this right, the company nave gave the irs the money they withheld from you.  Get ready to write the IRS a check! Gonna have to go after the company to get your money back from them.  Good luck
View Quote
What money? What job? If the company didn't provide any documentation to the irs, who says the op ever even had a job with them? If he never made more than $40k per year he has no tax liability in most cases.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Don't you have any copies of your W2's or at least the tax returns?
View Quote

Exactly.  I have all mine dating back to the mid 1980s.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#45]
couldn't this affect your SS payout when you retire?
I thought your retirement SS payout is based on your lifetime payments into the system?
Or, is it based on your 3 highest years or something?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, you are in a world of fun.

The IRS will want you to pay what you owe and may say you will have to go after the company, UNLESS they decide to do it through their sanctions. But, I have not seen that done with any of the cases I was involved in where they just said to hold out paying. I have heard of them allowing the records YOU have that show you paid the taxes as adequate and they solely hold the company responsible for failing to submit. You do have paystub copies, right?

File a report with the IRS. File a local police report for wage theft. File a state report for wage theft. Get a tax lawyer NOW. You will want one and need it.

IRS CI is the primary folks for this. Your state should have another legal section to handle it too. Either way, the responsible parties for the business are likely going to get loved tenderly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How were the payroll checks generated? Were they made by a Paycheck company, such as PayChex? If so, I am sure they keep digital records of all their transactions. Maybe a good lawyer could subpoena them to get your info for the case.
View Quote

They were company checks from US bank. Would US bank have copies of all the checks I have cashed throughout the years?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

How the IRS sees things.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They were company checks from US bank. Would US bank have copies of all the checks I have cashed throughout the years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a check for the net amount, or an actual “paycheck”
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not in any trouble. There may be a huge case against them already. The FBI and IRS criminal division interviewed current and past employees. I was out of town when this happened.

From the questions being asked, people think they committed PPP loan fraud while most of us were laid off due to Covid

Eta: The feds of course couldn't tell us any information
View Quote

Have you contact these agencies?    Contact them and cooperate with them.  That would be much more productive that listening to all the ignorant bullshit here.  

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top