User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/26/2020 10:15:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Ouch. That is pretty damming. Lawsuit count down...
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The preliminary report doesn’t say much.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn !

If I'm reading this right, that aircraft never should have flown, let alone take paying passengers on a flight .

DAMN !!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Flying 70+ year old aircraft on a relatively shoestring budget was never going to end well. I'm one of the guys that loves the aircraft and loves to see them flying instead of strung up in a museum somewhere, but they are still machines that will kill you in seconds if you get complacent.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried to tell GD and was villified for it. No way I was going to take a ride after getting a close look.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta wonder why they rebuilt 3 engines and not 4.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Sad
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The essence of this report is that it rules out nothing and it draws no conclusions
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Dick Blumenthal is such a worthless piece of shit. I hope he catches the wuhan and dies. He literally fucks up every issue he deals with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]
“Collings’ maintenance director was Ernest McCauley, 75, who was the chief pilot the day of the crash.”

It’s a shame that that clown had to kill passengers rather than just himself

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Money. Always about money. If you have possession of such an aircraft no matter the usage, you need to be by the book period. Money can be no issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Criminally negligent is what they were. I observed the people "working" on the aircraft for the hours I was at the show. They didn't do a damn thing. Frankly speaking, they looked like they didn't give a shit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The chief maintenance inspector was the pilot? Seriously? How dumb can they be? Zero oversight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

838 hours on #4 since its last overhaul, is that a lot of time? They’re expensive enough that if operating hours, oil analysis, and any inspections performed showed it to be in good condition then I wouldn’t replace it either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Sad that the old girl was lost. Another one was lost a few years ago as well. It might be time to retire the old birds so not all of them are destroyed. It seems too risky to keep flying them
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

838 hours on #4 since its last overhaul, is that a lot of time? They’re expensive enough that if operating hours, oil analysis, and any inspections performed showed it to be in good condition then I wouldn’t replace it either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do it regardless. What experience do you have flying and working on aircraft?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sad that the old girl was lost. Another one was lost a few years ago as well. It might be time to retire the old birds so not all of them are destroyed. It seems too risky to keep flying them
View Quote

Someone like Paul Allen that doesn't have to think about costs can probably do it forever since he could probably 3d print replacement parts in metal if he had to. If money starts to dictate maintenance schedules it's time to shut it down.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's only risky when you don't maintain them... As said previously...shoestringing the budget is the real risk.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, I forgot about that crash.  

I flew on the 909 with my grandfather back in the 90s.  He was gunner on a B-17 during the war.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The chief maintenance inspector was the pilot? Seriously? How dumb can they be? Zero oversight.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that any more than a skydiver insisting on packing his own chute. Mechanics and pilots are often times one and the same. Especially when it comes to outfits like these.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like there may have been some issues with the ones they did rebuild as well.  I am also wondering how they managed to get over 800 hours on an 80-year old radial without some significant maintenance, to include staying on top of checking the plugs and mags.  Even when they were new, radials were known to burn a LOT of oil.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#23]
That entire operation was ran like a carnival ride.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

$$$
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a number of legitimate reasons. TBO for those is typically 1000 hours. That's a recommendation. The dead giveaway that they need it is when they start consuming oil at a significantly higher rate. But that one wasn't really due for it yet. And that's not too surprising . It's not uncommon that engines and props have significantly different amounts of hours on them. That foundation no doubt has a number of spare R-1820's to put on when the time is right.

But none of this much matters. The engine problem didn't directly cause the crash. Those fly fine on 3 engines. Sounds like there may have been an error or two involved.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There's a number of legitimate reasons. TBO for those is typically 1000 hours. That's a recommendation. The dead giveaway that they need it is when they start consuming oil at a significantly higher rate. But that one wasn't really due for it yet. And that's not too surprising . It's not uncommon that engines and props have significantly different amounts of hours on them. That foundation no doubt has a number of spare R-1820's to put on when the time is right.

But none of this much matters. The engine problem didn't directly cause the crash. Those fly fine on 3 engines. Sounds like there may have been an error or two involved.
View Quote

That aircraft wasn't properly maintained.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Meh, I figured "pay to play" flights would bring everything down around their ears by and by.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sounds like there may have been some issues with the ones they did rebuild as well.  I am also wondering how they managed to get over 800 hours on an 80-year old radial without some significant maintenance, to include staying on top of checking the plugs and mags.  Even when they were new, radials were known to burn a LOT of oil.
View Quote

And apparently cough it up, too. I once made the mistake of standing by the landing gear under a DC-3 during start-up. I damn near had to change my clothes afterward.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Ouch.

Just yesterday it popped up in my Facebook memories that it had been 4 years to the day since I took a ride on Nine-O-Nine.   That was an absolutely amazing day.    

Sad to hear about things like this.  As others have said I am a big proponent of seeing these old war birds fly but c'mon people, let's make sure we are doing it the right way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#32]
That report didn't pull any punches and Collins Foundation was called out for cutting corners.

It can't be cheap to operate such vintage and specialized aircraft, but if you take the money to take people up, you've got the responsibility to get them back again safely.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Money. Always about money. If you have possession of such an aircraft no matter the usage, you need to be by the book period. Money can be no issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you’re correct.

It always IS about the money.

I just found out my company uses recaps on our steer tires. We are not buses. So it’s “legal”.

Legal and smart are not in the same ballpark.

You have a steer tire come apart at 65 on a 70,000 pound truck...

Fuck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Each engine is and prop are on their own schedule and performance analysis. The Collings Foundation doesn't rebuild any engine or engine accessory . That is left to FAA licensed shops, there is no shoestring budget. If a copnent is needed the aircraft gets it. 30 years of operation with NO mishap should tell you something. Unfortunately one day things went really bad. Mac was far from being a "clown", he babied 909 and was constantly working, prodding and tinkering with it when he wasn't flying her.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Just a reminder I had a bell crank pin shear while pulling into my driveway on my willys. I drove into the yard on accident and stopped quickly.

I had been driving 45 right before that on the highway.

Antique stuff is scary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dick Blumenthal is such a worthless piece of shit. I hope he catches the wuhan and dies. He literally fucks up every issue he deals with.
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That has nothing to do with what I just said. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. The only thing we seem to know here is they had a problem with the #4 engine. That alone shouldn't make that aircraft unflyable. It sounds as if the more direct reason for the accident was probably pilot error.

What exactly makes you say that aircraft wasn't properly maintained?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That has nothing to do with what I just said. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. The only thing we seem to know here is they had a problem with the #4 engine. That alone shouldn't make that aircraft unflyable. It sounds as if the more direct reason for the accident was probably pilot error.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess because they didn't overhaul an engine at 10%+ of the TBO.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with that any more than a skydiver insisting on packing his own chute. Mechanics and pilots are often times one and the same. Especially when it comes to outfits like these.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a pilot with an A&P.  It's not that uncommon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Each engine is and prop are on their own schedule and performance analysis. The Collings Foundation doesn't rebuild any engine or engine accessory . That is left to FAA licensed shops, there is no shoestring budget. If a copnent is needed the aircraft gets it. 30 years of operation with NO mishap should tell you something. Unfortunately one day things went really bad. Mac was far from being a "clown", he babied 909 and was constantly working, prodding and tinkering with it when he wasn't flying her.
View Quote

Maybe I'm ignorant here, but the report would indicate that the engine had a known mag issue to the point that they were working on it minutes before takeoff. If any other passenger aircraft had an issue with something as important as the ignition system of the engine would it still have taken off? I'm not an A&P but it would seem that they were given special waivers from the FAA to operate with passengers and did some things a normal airline would not do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#41]
As much as I love these old war birds, we are probably reaching a point in the future where most of them need to be preserved and not flown. Spares are less and less available every day and you can only refurb things so many times, and as someone else said. If you don't have multi billionaire money to make parts, then you're probably going to be SOL keeping them alive.

I'd hate to see the loss of more of these planes that in this day / age are increasingly rare already.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As much as I love these old war birds, we are probably reaching a point in the future where most of them need to be preserved and not flown. Spares are less and less available every day and you can only refurb things so many times, and as someone else said. If you don't have multi billionaire money to make parts, then you're probably going to be SOL keeping them alive.

I'd hate to see the loss of more of these planes that in this day / age are increasingly rare already.

View Quote

Some places make new parts for them. If they would of stayed on their maintenance program and not cut corners it would seem that the engines would of been fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#44]
We had an R985 blow a jug, replaced it with a "new" overhauled 985.  That one blew a jug less than a month later.  Shit happens on old ass radial engines.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, they've got warehouses full of parts for these things. Plenty of parts ready to go and plenty of ability to manufacture new parts from scratch.
Check out the pics at this link.
http://andersonaeromotive.net/photo-gallery-of-anderson-aeromotive/curtiss-wright/
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Well Crap!  I rode on 9-0-9 a few years ago and loved it.

In another life I was a squadron QA Chief and later a Maintenance Control Chief.  You can not take shortcuts with aviation maintenance.  We lost an F/A-18 because of it.

I hope the Collings Foundation can get their shit together and regain the certificate.  That's assuming they survive the lawsuits and insurance costs.  I still want a ride on a B-24 and B-25 someday.

ETA: I'm of the opinion that properly inspected and maintained an aircraft can fly almost indefinitely.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gotta wonder why the pilot shut down two engines? A rough magneto is not an emergency in an airplane with four engines.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Unless I missed something, the only potential issue was in engine #4. The fact that this engine did not receive a “major overhaul” while the other three did, doesn’t really tell us anything either. Such as whether #4 actually needed that at the time.

That plane can easily fly on 3 engines. Something more happened.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having flown the warbird circuit for 11 years, writing a SOP for similar flights in a UH-1H, and knowing many of the Collings folks, to say this surprised me is an understatement.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Stop flying the damn things and put an end to it. Park them in museums so boomers can drool over the good old days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top