Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/17/2021 11:28:50 PM EDT
My wife “you had one job”....is looking for a self defense knife. She is not interested in carrying a gun with our gang of children around her all the time. She would prefer a knife as it’s easier to fuck someone/ something up with a knife and not worry about aim, backstops, etc. I am strongly considering a microtech side opening automatic. In theory the knife would always be in her pocket so I’m looking for a folder and I think a side folding auto would be the easiest to not mess up when deploying in a high stress situation. Her number one concern is random dogs while walking kids to the bus stop. She already carries a zapping flashlight but we are looking for lethal options to stop an attack quick.

TLDR: what knife for the wife?

Microtech LUDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Think your wife has it in her to stab something to death?

Take her to a knife counter at the outdoors store and let her feel all the knives to decide
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Kershaw launch series are mostly side opening autos and will be cheaper than Microtech.

Protech has some good options too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
What if her attacker is carrying a gun, or a baseball bat, or a knife but has longer arms, or...
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My wife "you had one job"....is looking for a self defense knife. She is not interested in carrying a gun with our gang of children around her all the time. She would prefer a knife as it's easier to fuck someone/ something up with a knife and not worry about aim, backstops, etc. I am strongly considering a microtech side opening automatic. In theory the knife would always be in her pocket so I'm looking for a folder and I think a side folding auto would be the easiest to not mess up when deploying in a high stress situation. Her number one concern is random dogs while walking kids to the bus stop. She already carries a zapping flashlight but we are looking for lethal options to stop an attack quick.

TLDR: what knife for the wife?

Microtech LUDT
View Quote
If it's for dogs carry bear spray, she wants no part of having a knife taken from her by a thug, I'd rather be shot
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Something that she can train on. Push dagger.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
She's gonna stab a dog?
what if the dog has a gun?
pepper spray is probably the only answer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What if her attacker is carrying a gun, or a baseball bat, or a knife but has longer arms, or...
View Quote

A knife can be a limited range weapon, as seen here:

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
PM2. My wife carries one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Need pics of wife to determine stature for blade style and length.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Against DOGS?

S&W EZ .380

You don't use a knife against dogs by choice.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Knives don’t stop an attack quick.

If she is leery of using a gun, no way will she be able to use a knife the way you have to in a fight.

Get her a walking stick.  Or a sjambok.  Or a shelaghlea.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Ka-Bar TDI.

Teach her tendons and artery's.

If it gets to the knife, she's in physical contact.
They might as well half bleed out before regaining distance.

Folders only work if deployed early.

Slashes and deep cuts are faster, and more effective.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several protech out-the-side autos that are rock solid.  However, I started carrying microtech out-the-front ultratech autos because I think they're easier to deploy, if you have the hand strength, require less dexterity/skill, and they aren't blocked by side obstructions like an OTS could be.

My wife can't operate the OTF because her hand strength is limited, so that may be a consideration for your wife.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Pepper Spray is what she really needs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Your wife's planning to stab and slash a dog to death?

Do you think she's capable of pushing a knife into a dog with its teeth on her wrist?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Chef Knives come in different sizes. The two most popular size being 6" and 8".
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Knives don’t stop an attack quick.

If she is leery of using a gun, no way will she be able to use a knife the way you have to in a fight.

Get her a walking stick.  Or a sjambok.  Or a shelaghlea.
View Quote

Oh yeah, you can fuck shit up QUICK with a sjambok.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#19]
If concerned about dogs, a knife would be my last choice

#Pitbull Attack. aggresive pitbull terrier (Tiger)

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Get her a Gryphon M10.  Fixed blade so she doesn’t have to fiddle faddle trying to open it.

https://cutleryshoppe.com/gryphon-knives-terzuola-design-m10-4-0-laminated-vg-10-blade-w-black-dlc-finish-boltaron-sheathpro-sheath/

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#21]
The CRKT Obake can be found cheap and for what it’s designed for (defense) its the best value. I picked up a few of them and gave them as gifts to friends when Wally World had them on clearance for $5 and they all love the obake and carry to this day. I would not cry if I lost the obake compared to my other high end knives.

CRKT Obake Knife Overview | by Lucas Burnley
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The CRKT Obake can be found cheap and for what it’s designed for (defense) its the best value. I picked up a few of them and gave them as gifts to friends when Wally World had them on clearance for $5 and they all love the obake and carry to this day. I would not cry if I lost the obake compared to my other high end knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpIHiL2JFnc
View Quote

I EDC an Obake. I nearly recommended a kwaiken until I saw it was for dogs.

I’ve met Lucas before, too. Maybe someday I’ll own one of his real knives.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's just for casual carry and a confidence boost a flipper is quick and simple. Anything that's slim in profile when folded, 3" ish blade, under 3 oz. Don't have to spend a lot of money on it. Pepper spray's a good idea too.

If she's serious about using a knife as primary defense option then find her a grappling class that teaches knife combat and then get her whatever blade she wants. But at that point she might be better off with a LCP 22LR with a laser sight.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ka-Bar TDI.

View Quote

The Ka-bar family of blades are excellent tools and a good fighting blade.

Smash the piggy bank if need be, get good quality, and, if possible... two.

And fergossake get her to a knife instructor that is NOT friend or family.

Contact close, she will do best fighting as if her life depends on it... because contact close, it does.

We are truly in the hour of the knife, pardon the pun, where the ladies must fight when we are not there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ka-Bar TDI.

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ka-Bar TDI.

This.

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pepper Spray is what she really needs.
View Quote

Personally I would go with this
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like she needs a neck knife instead of a pocket like an ESEE Izula or double edged cold steel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:23:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I carry almost wherever I go, usually an ESEE Candiru or a Kershaw Leek. But I carry them not as defensive weapons but as tools. If I was to carry a knife solely for defense it would be something like a Karambit due to better control. What I have read and been told is knife fighting is not as easy as it might sound. The type of knives historically used for defense were daggers and things like Dirks. Fixed blades and around 10 inches if not more. A 3 or 4 inch blade that is concealable would not be my choice.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#33]
If your wife is not willing to carry a gun, asking her to stab someone to death is just a silly joke OP. Quit being silly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Need pics of wife to determine stature for blade holster style and length gun .
View Quote

FIFY...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Just as an aside... knives don’t stop attacks “quick” unless you really know what you’re doing. It takes lots of practice to know what you’re doing, and to be able to target (presumably on a moving target that’s trying to assault her) critical areas.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#37]
If it’s for dogs, you need something with some reach - like a spear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#38]
When/where did she earn an Army Ranger combat ribbon?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#39]
While I'm not an expert on knives or self defense, seems now is one of those times to welcome and educate, rather than eat our own.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Are there truly known aggressive dogs in the area? A knife is just not going to be a winning solution, it's simply a feel good solution and counting on percentage chances nothing is going to happen. Can't even convince her of a derringer AND a knife?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Spyderco Civilian or Matriarch

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#43]
The best knife is one that shoots 147g pieces of metal at 1000fps.

I would not want to fight a dog with a knife. Let alone a person.

Maybe with a spear. Man invented spears for killing animals and people for a reason. They learned that if the knife had 8ft reach they got hurt less.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ka-Bar TDI.

View Quote

Came here to suggest a TDI. Was beat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:52:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Grown men with twice the weight of the attacker often don't have what it takes to kill something with a knife.  There's no shame in that because it is a close range weapon that has a very small wounding profile.  Get her something else.

And don't get her a kubaton or any of those shitty plastic "cat face" plastic things either.  Get her OC or a BIG "walking" stick.  Something that puts distance between her and whatever she's dealing with.  Something that has a legit use but has enough heft that a swing to the temple will rock something's world.

Shoving a 5ft pole down a dog's throat is a better bet than trying to hit an artery with a knife while doggo is gnawing on her arm.  Works for people too.  Range is the key.

Knife fights (real ones like you saw in WWI) are dirty, slow, and sometimes fatal for both sides.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#46]
It always amuses me how people won’t carry a firearm, but would a knife. A knife in a fight is quick, violent, bloody, and you see the slashes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, if any way possible, get her in a Cecil Burch class in AZ:
http://www.iacombatives.com/just-like-you/

There are lots of options for carry, and here is an article that discusses many, but training is essential.
https://www.mdtstraining.com/small-fixed-blade-knives-for-every-day-carry/
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Having stabbed someone repeatedly (thread is in the archives, 6 years ago this month )  , I strongly suggest a firearm for self defense. Knives are a tool that double as a primative weapon, they should not be thought of as a 1st line self defense weapon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#49]
A knife will never, ever, be a pistol. Food for thought.

..Emerson Karambit
..Spyderco Civilian or Matriarch
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top