User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, if any way possible, get her in a Cecil Burch class in AZ:
http://www.iacombatives.com/just-like-you/

There are lots of options for carry, and here is an article that discusses many, but training is essential.
https://www.mdtstraining.com/small-fixed-blade-knives-for-every-day-carry/
View Quote
This.

Small fixed blade in a purpose made sheath.

ETA: A push dagger in a raven concealment pocket shield would be optimum for pocket carry.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:05:48 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't know how to properly use a knife, it's more of a liability to you than a benefit. You have just armed your opponent when your assailant takes your knife away.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It always amuses me how people won't carry a firearm, but would a knife. A knife in a fight is quick, violent, bloody, and you see the slashes.
View Quote
Two different anti gun guys I know one of the guys bought a katana for home defense and another guy bought a boar spear for home defense. Thrusting and slashing with a blade or spear to dispatch a home intruder seems horrifying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Kershaw CQC7K

Pretty much every woman I know carries one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
OP.....

There is no blister packed easy answer, for the question at the forefront.
Reality is a bitch.

No knife, gadget, gimmick, or voodoo in a store bought package, will be effective against reality.

You have a greater quandary.

I'm lucky. The wife is pure 1/3 tamed Jack ape timber Savage, and has zero hesitation to use the incisors if needed.
It's a mindset thing. Grow up playing with adorable sheep, and then eating them next week, will do that.

Reality is a bitch, and 90% of the dipshits out there expect the 10% TO DEAL WITH IT ALL FOR THEM!
They have never been in a place, where they have had to deal with Reality and refuse to start later.

Those that get the vapors over protecting the kids with a firearm, because they don't trust themselves with a firearm to not harm the kids...speaks volumes.

She needs training. Not by you...to open her eye's and mind.
Recognizing that evil exists, is the first step. You can't do it.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:39:39 AM EDT
[#6]
A medium size Spyderco that will go on her key ring. Something in compliance with your state law length.

with serrations like this

or a fixed blade like  THIS

or ESSE
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP, if any way possible, get her in a Cecil Burch class in AZ:
http://www.iacombatives.com/just-like-you/

There are lots of options for carry, and here is an article that discusses many, but training is essential.
https://www.mdtstraining.com/small-fixed-blade-knives-for-every-day-carry/
View Quote

This. Please make sure she gets some training OP.

https://stevetarani.com/
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:56:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:10:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had to deal with stray dogs a few times.  Once on my wedding day.  

The best tool for the job I've found is a long hard stick of your preference.

I carried a collapsible baton of good build and only used it once.  It was effective and was nice to be able to escalate my level of violence.  Stand off device, firm hit to side, hard as I can blow to flank (<-dog left here), hard as I can to face was my next step.  I had a gun on, but never felt the need to go for my gun.  That said it was nice to have a Trump-card in case the dogs friends showed up.

In the only other case where the dog and I made contact I kicked the dog hard between its forelegs.  It was not ideal, but effective.

I don't think I'd pick a knife for dogs. Their range is rather short, it's nice to stay out of it. I've trained with knives and blades, I can't come up with a great way to use one on dogs other then hoping it bites your weak hand AND you have the force of Will to stay in the fight.   It might be my last choice of common defensive weapons for dogs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a terrible idea OP. A knife is not a self defense tool. Not a good one anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#11]

I'd like to see his golf swing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#12]
A knife will kill, but will not "stop the attack," particularly with a vicious dog.  The dog can fuck you up as he bleeds out.

I think a knife for dog defense, or any defense, is a bad idea.

If it's all you have, it's what you use.  But if you have a choice and can plan differently, I would go with Bear Spray or a gun.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#13]
OP WTF?  There are bad ideas and then there are REALLY bad ideas. You are at the REALLY bad idea stage.

Do everyone a favor and just get her some good pepper spray/ bear spray. No one wins in a knife fight ..... no one.

Defense against a dog ? Forget it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Tell her to stop watching movies and that Hollywood is bull shit.  Knives are good at killing people but it takes some time for them to die.  Guns will stop 99% of attacks relatively quickly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#15]
If your self defense plan involves a knife then your plan is shit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If your self defense plan involves a knife then your plan is shit.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#17]
The loser of a knife fight bleeds out in the parking lot. The winner bleeds out in the ambulance.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#18]
seems like pepper spray is a better answer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#19]
OC spray.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#20]
IMO, unless the OP's wife is an uncommonly trained bad ass, her carrying a knife is a somewhat dangerous false sense of security.

Fox Labs would be a better bet.

If a knife has to be her option due to her insistence, a capable fixed blade would be vastly better.

A TOPS California Cobra comes immediately to mind.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My wife “you had one job”....is looking for a self defense knife. She is not interested in carrying a gun with our gang of children around her all the time. She would prefer a knife as it’s easier to fuck someone/ something up with a knife and not worry about aim, backstops, etc. I am strongly considering a microtech side opening automatic. In theory the knife would always be in her pocket so I’m looking for a folder and I think a side folding auto would be the easiest to not mess up when deploying in a high stress situation. Her number one concern is random dogs while walking kids to the bus stop. She already carries a zapping flashlight but we are looking for lethal options to stop an attack quick.

TLDR: what knife for the wife?

Microtech LUDT
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Much wrong with that knife outlook. Training with a gun will be her best hope. Otherwise, why would anyone with kids in the house ever have a gun for hd? When it's time to move to lethal force to defend your kids, a knife is probably a worse move then everyone curling up into the fetal position and hoping for the best.

Gun. Train. Carry. It sounds scarier than a knife but that's because it's a better tool for the job.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Knives don’t stop an attack quick.

If she is leery of using a gun, no way will she be able to use a knife the way you have to in a fight.

Get her a walking stick.  Or a sjambok.  Or a shelaghlea.
View Quote

LMaoooooo
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
While I'm not an expert on knives or self defense, seems now is one of those times to welcome and educate, rather than eat our own.
View Quote

Sometimes, the truth is blunt and hurts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is a terrible idea OP. A knife is not a self defense tool. Not a good one anyway.
View Quote

Certainly not without training.

She wants a talisman, but not the pew pew kind. Get her a tactical pen, at least it will be partially useful and less of a liability.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#26]
This thread is fucking fucked.

Every single one of you top tier R-words recommending knives needs to get your asshole checked for gray matter, because your heads are in your asses.

Every one of you telling OP the truth, that knives are not self defense weapons, well done keep it up.

Holy shit.

"gEt hER a sPyDerCo" or just save yourself some steps and some time and get it over with, cut her open yourself, you fucking moron.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#27]
OP, you going to let her snap it at the counter?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have several protech out-the-side autos that are rock solid.  However, I started carrying microtech out-the-front ultratech autos because I think they're easier to deploy, if you have the hand strength, require less dexterity/skill, and they aren't blocked by side obstructions like an OTS could be.

My wife can't operate the OTF because her hand strength is limited, so that may be a consideration for your wife.
View Quote

Something mine didnt consider before picking up an Ultratech Storm Trooper.  She can deploy it quickly now, but retracting it still gives her some trouble one handed.

OP, the LUDT is probably the better option since its button deployed.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#29]
lol

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I am a knife enthusiast and get annoyed with the cheap crap people recommend on this forum.  But in this case, cheap is probably the right answer.  I get the vibe she won't practice deploying or using the knife, so it will never do her any good.  She will likely loose it somewhere in your house by month 2.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Knife is a terrible 1st line choice for someone who is most likely never going to train using it. As many said its not going to stop a dog attack and she can only use it when the dog is already latched onto her and it would be a great idea to not let things get to that point.

If there is an attacker of the two-legged kind that knife will be used against her.

OC spray gives her some stand off distance.
Here is a good article by someone who is an expert in the use of pepper spray, Chuck Haggard https://www.recoilweb.com/how-to-pepper-spray-139086.html

Try to educate her on the use of a handgun. Take her shooting. Get her comfortable with the "idea" of a gun. Play out scenarios where something bad happens and walk through step by step what she would do and then counter with "what if's" of the worst case scenario.

There are plenty of youtube videos of dog attacks as well as assaults and muggings. Show them to her.

If you can, get her to read "Violence of Mind" by Varg Freeborn. He has experience with knives and paints pictures that make you realize a knife fight is just a brutal situation that needs to be avoided at all cost. It can be had for free on amazon kindle.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Something that she can train on. Push dagger.
View Quote

Ka Bar TDI Investigator

This.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Ken Onion Redemption knife. Perfect choice
J/K

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had some very limited knife take-away training. We were told that if we ever thought we might have to employ it, that we needed a lot more training. So unless your wife is going to commit to some type of weekly knife fighting training class by some guy who doesn't own a mall ninja store, I think she's only going to be able to handle some very basic moves, like basically the guy has you in a choke hold and you jab the knife into him.

I know the guys who do the Kabar TDI have a class centered around that and I have one of those knives, but I really don't have a feel for it. I like fixed blade better, but if that things comes out, the shit has really hit the fan and the situation has devolved into grappling.

My wife has an OTF with a Tiffany blue handle. She keeps it in her purse, which is fucking worthless imo, but usually one of the senior officers at work will ask her about her knife and ask her to pull it out in front of one of the rookie cops, just to watch their eyes bug out.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#35]
"The life of the wife is ended by the knife!"
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If your wife is not willing to carry a gun, asking her to stab someone to death is just a silly joke OP. Quit being silly.
View Quote

I gave mine a cold steel training and I had a rounded foam trainer.
Told her to stab me.

I didn't get laid till the welt across her arm and the 4 bruises in her ribs disappeared
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Something that she can train on. Push dagger.
View Quote

In a fan of the push dagger for defense.  EDC.

Cold Steel Safemaker 1.

Much more compact than a traditional 4.5” fixed blade, very intuitive “manual of arms”.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#38]
i've run into this a lot over the years, your wife does not want a weapon, she wants a magical charm against evil.

Buy her a cheap karambit style and call it good.  She'll never use it for more than opening packages.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#39]
If she doesn't have the proper mindset to train with and carry a firearm, a knife isn't going to do her any good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This. Please make sure she gets some training OP.

https://stevetarani.com/
View Quote

My wife rolled her eyes when I signed her up for one of Steve's classes, but she came back happy and learned a lot.

As far as OP's question, I think it's been beat to death, but a knife would not be the first choice unless your wife can flip that switch and stab a dog to death.  If that's the case, I would look at a fixed blade with a finger loop for retention or at the very least a handle that fits her hand well.  Her hands are going to covered in dog blood by the time the fight is over.

+1 for the Emerson Karambit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#41]
This is what you want, find the size that she'll carry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVSHG61/

A knife is the absolute last choice for dogs

If she wants a totem get her a HAK or something small but make damn sure she carries the OC spray
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#42]
A 3 Cell Maglite might be a better choice.  One or two bonks on a dogs head will make them rethink their actions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Benchmade SOCP

Kabar TDI
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#44]
A knife for self defense against not only people but dogs as well?

That's retarded and you should know better.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My wife “you had one job”....is looking for a self defense knife. She is not interested in carrying a gun with our gang of children around her all the time. She would prefer a knife as it’s easier to fuck someone/ something up with a knife and not worry about aim, backstops, etc. I am strongly considering a microtech side opening automatic. In theory the knife would always be in her pocket so I’m looking for a folder and I think a side folding auto would be the easiest to not mess up when deploying in a high stress situation. Her number one concern is random dogs while walking kids to the bus stop. She already carries a zapping flashlight but we are looking for lethal options to stop an attack quick.

TLDR: what knife for the wife?

Microtech LUDT
View Quote

She wears it under her shirt and yanks it down to un sheath it.
I think this or other like it are the best knife going for a woman

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
While I'm not an expert on knives or self defense, seems now is one of those times to welcome and educate, rather than eat our own.
View Quote

I agree, but this is GD, eating our own is rampant.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Knife vs dog jaws/teeth?

I love my wife too much to let her make such a bad choice.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Your fault, their fault, nobody's fault, juries HATE knives, period

just one humble opinion, based on 26 years working on the street
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Your wife doesn't understand defensive tactics well enough to use a knife in self-defense.  That's also why she has a "zappy flaahlight."

But a Clinch Pick is the answer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Her number one concern is random dogs while walking kids to the bus stop.
View Quote

Another vote for OC spray

https://www.asp-usa.com/products/palm-compact-defender?variant=36949027076

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Labs-Squared-Pepper-154FTSDB/dp/B07MD1SWHF/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fox+oc+spray&qid=1616083889&sr=8-3

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top