Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Your job is to make her interested. A knife is a shitty defensive weapon, an umbrella is better than a knife.

If she wants to have a defensive weapon the ONLY answer is to get a gun, train with it, and use 4 rules.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pepper Spray is what she really needs.
View Quote

This.

1. Pepper spray will work much more quickly than a knife - when I was a kid, I watched a guy get stabbed multiple times at a gas station and he was in the fight the whole time. Eventually, the stabber ran away and the victim finally collapsed, but still alive. He was alive when the paramedics showed up and stuck their fingers in his chest to stop the slice to his heart. I've also watched a cop spray a person and he went down FAST.

2. If she's not willing to carry and use a gun, what suggests she's willing to use a knife?

3. A knife is for closeup work. Why wait till the threat is that close when a gun can keep them at bay?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ka-Bar TDI.

Teach her tendons and artery's.

If it gets to the knife, she's in physical contact.
They might as well half bleed out before regaining distance.

Folders only work if deployed early.

Slashes and deep cuts are faster, and more effective.

View Quote

I gave these to everyone in the family last Christmas.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd rather walk with a proper sized piece of hickory (no one will be threatened by seeing it, its just a stick) + training on what to do with it.

Knives are best for filleting a delicious fish or making stuff. If the dog gets your arm, it is his prize, then put 'em in a triangle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree, but this is GD, eating our own is rampant.
View Quote

Its not eating our own to tell someone that a knife is a crappy choice as a defensive weapon.

Especially for a woman who is physically less strong than anyone likely to attack her and likely lacks the mental fortitude if she is unwilling to train how to use a gun for the same task.

Real life is not like a Hollywood movie where a 5ft 100lb woman stabs 3 men who look like Dwayne the Rock Johnson while fighting them off easily and they die instantly because she's a badass.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Having stabbed someone repeatedly (thread is in the archives, 6 years ago this month )  , I strongly suggest a firearm for self defense. Knives are a tool that double as a primative weapon, they should not be thought of as a 1st line self defense weapon.
View Quote

I remember that thread.  IIRC, you had to stab your attacker in the neck before he stopped the attack.  

OP, you should look this thread up and read it.  

Defending yourself with a knife is going to mean your attacker is on you and in the process of punching, grabbing, choking, etc.  It's very possible the defender is going to have to open as many holes as possible and hope blood loss catches up with the attacker before the attacker renders the defender unconscious or dead.  A pistol is pretty poor at stopping a determined attacker, and a knife is even worse.

Obviously blade placement matters, just like shot placement.  It's easy to say "go for the vital spots", but probably tougher when some big ass dude is trying to beat your head in or choke you unconscious.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Its not eating our own to tell someone that a knife is a crappy choice as a defensive weapon.

Especially for a woman who is physically less strong than anyone likely to attack her and likely lacks the mental fortitude if she is unwilling to train how to use a gun for the same task.

Real life is not like a Hollywood movie where a 5ft 100lb woman stabs 3 men who look like Dwayne the Rock Johnson while fighting them off easily and they die instantly because she's a badass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but this is GD, eating our own is rampant.

Exactly.  GD is about tough love.  If your idea is bad, GD will tell you.  Some of the posters will also offer good advice and alternatives.  But having a knife as Plan A is a terrible idea.  That's not "eating our own", that's just pointing out a basic fact
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If your wife is not willing to carry a gun, asking her to stab someone to death is just a silly joke OP. Quit being silly.
View Quote

I have to agree here. OP needs to show his wife a video of what a real knife fight looks like. IMO it's not a good choice for SD.

OP should be looking at pepper spray, the whip thing mentioned above, or a collapsible baton.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Stilettos, of course!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a really dumb idea OP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
She would be better off having some situational awareness training, a loud voice, and an ability to get to her phone more quickly than most women with purses can.   Unless she is well trained in using a knife, it's just something to remove her attention from what is going on in front of her.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
NM. Didn't read about dog defenses
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I would show her a bunch of different, nice quality knives and ask her which one she’d prefer to have taken from her and get stabbed with. Because that’s how it’s most likely to turn out if she ever tries to defend herself with a knife.

Unless your wife is an MMA fighter, I’d stress the importance of using a defensive weapon that can be employed from outside the reach of a “bad guy”.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, or, something very similar.

My first question is, "Does your wife know how to fight with a knife?" Second is, "Have you ever been in a knife fight?"

If not, know that the knife will be taken from her and she'll be stabbed to death. All you're doing is providing the guy who killed the mother of your children with a weapon.

Buy a pistol, or a revolver; it's the only thing that makes your wife the physical equal of a man (well, today, about 50% of the men.)

Humor aside, don't be stupid.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife stole my Falkniven F1 to run with.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top