BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's one on forging an axe. A lot of the axe heads they are finding are similar to this pattern. Mostly iron, a welded eye, and a harder steel blade welded to the front end to hold an edge.

That's a LOT of work.....

Which is why one of the things that bugged me on the show is the Earl killing the blacksmith.  He would have been more of a protected class, punishable, yes, but killed for making an anchor for a troublemaker?  I don't think so.

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that scene really confused me.   What is everyone's take on that?

You grab a pie plate and go to town.

I think they just liked orgys? They hinted at another one last night with that Lohki dude and his (ugly) blonde wench.

Pretty sure Chik-Fil-A was not founded by Vikings.  

Nope...They had their own version...Fil-A-Chik.

when I first saw that scene I thought it was a test to see if they can trust the priest... because after that Ragnor asked his wife to come on the next voyage and left the priest in charge of his farm and children... I don't know I could just be over thinking it but that was just what I thought. Also because the Earl killed his friend after he told him he could have his wife.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's one on forging an axe. A lot of the axe heads they are finding are similar to this pattern. Mostly iron, a welded eye, and a harder steel blade welded to the front end to hold an edge.

Which is why one of the things that bugged me on the show is the Earl killing the blacksmith.  He would have been more of a protected class, punishable, yes, but killed for making an anchor for a troublemaker?  I don't think so.  

I'm not that up on Viking law and all that (just did history classes that involved them in the greater area of UK/Irish History) but I don't think an Earl essentially summarily executing a blacksmith would've gone over very well either.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they just liked orgys? They hinted at another one last night with that Lohki dude and his (ugly) blonde wench.

Pretty sure Chik-Fil-A was not founded by Vikings.  

Nope...They had their own version...Fil-A-Chik.

when I first saw that scene I thought it was a test to see if they can trust the priest... because after that Ragnor asked his wife to come on the next voyage and left the priest in charge of his farm and children... I don't know I could just be over thinking it but that was just what I thought. Also because the Earl killed his friend after he told him he could have his wife.

I hadn't thought of that.
It does make sense.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That one bugged me too... Back then, a community lived and died depending on how good their smith was.

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hadn't thought of that.

It does make sense.

Could be. One of the principle games of the time was called tafl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

Think of it as chess with a disproportionate set of goals and opposing forces. Those who think around corners excel at the game. Cloth "boards" and polished stones have been found pretty much everywhere the Vikings went. Several variants can be played online. It's harder than it looks...

What this also tells us is that they were a lot more devious than we'd give barbarians credit for and that testing a new slave in just such a way might have given them a better "measure" of him to gauge his future actions by.

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you're talking about this prime wench, then sir, you are clearly a homosexual!

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been enjoying this show as well.  Seriously though....  I really like the opening credits/theme scene.  It's just so surreal to me.  The shot from below of the burning longships with the dead men sinking to the bottom is so cool!
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a technique used for centuries until steel became readily available and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're talking about this prime wench, then sir, you are clearly a homosexual!
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mdhvyw.jpg

you be the judge, squire

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It's too bad we will only get to see amphibious operations in this show as naval battles are another fantastical type of thing the vikings are known for, especially amongst themselves.

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

you be the judge, squire

http://www.magweb.com/picts/nm2542123.jpghttp://image.qpicture.com/image/k/artist-katheryn-winnick/katheryn-winnick-359829.jpg

I'd like to be the reason her eyes are slightly crossed
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
This show is stupid, I'm sorry but "the walking dead" crew has more sense.

1. So you refer to "battle and heroic victory" as slaughtering men that are unarmed & don't fight back. I grant these butcherings actually happened but at least don't try to portray this Ragnar guy as a good one.

2. You know this Earl guy means you harm, so you celebrate IN TOWN, with your friends drunk & mostly unarmed.

3. After the above assassination attempt fails, you leave your farm to hunt & have all your workers act as it's business as usual. No guards, not even arming them with hard clubs. And you send all your warrior friends away too.

4. So there were no witnesses to your wife's almost rape, you admit to killing the guy yourself knowing the Earl hates you. Where as you could have just said he died in the course of sacking the city & there'd be nobody to say otherwise....

Yes, I'll keep watching as long as it's free. Whatever happened to thinking logicly?
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's too bad we will only get to see amphibious operations in this show as naval battles are another fantastical type of thing the vikings are known for, especially amongst themselves.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlFR4pG3kyksqu_DP0lKDdr7W3JktABitNEmMMDzYthkJ13OL6Hw

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Jomsvikings_%40_Battle_of_Svolder.jpg

I imagine that would push the budget a bit
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

1. So you refer to "battle and heroic victory" as slaughtering men that are unarmed & don't fight back. I grant these butcherings actually happened but at least don't try to portray this Ragnar guy as a good one.

2. You know this Earl guy means you harm, so you celebrate IN TOWN, with your friends drunk & mostly unarmed.

3. After the above assassination attempt fails, you leave your farm to hunt & have all your workers act as it's business as usual. No guards, not even arming them with hard clubs. And you send all your warrior friends away too.

4. So there were no witnesses to your wife's almost rape, you admit to killing the guy yourself knowing the Earl hates you. Where as you could have just said he died in the course of sacking the city & there'd be nobody to say otherwise....

Yes, I'll keep watching as long as it's free. Whatever happened to thinking logicly?

Your funny, you would rather watch a show with walking dead people and you call that logical?

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your funny, you would rather watch a show with walking dead people and you call that logical?  

Yeah, hey Norge he is a real smart guy isn't he... I guess he didn't logically think about his post
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Different times, different world, he was a "good one" to his people. That's what Vikings did...pillaged and raped.

Yep, first time for that. They didn't know what he was up to at the time.

Maybe Ragnar just wanted to piss him off and protect his wife at the same time, did you think of that?

Who has not used logic here?

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know much about viking combat, but I'm digging all the small axe/tomahawk fighting. I've always thought it makes for great fight choreography.

Ragnar was parrying a lot with his axe since he was without a shield in the fight scene this episode. Would a wooden handle prevent a sword from biting into it, or sliding down the shaft and taking off their hand? I'd think you'd be missing fingers if you did that long enough.

From what I have read, the axe was a preferred weapon for many Vikings in the early Viking period.  Especially in the ninth century.  The axe brings a lot of energy to the point of contact.  It can shatter a wooden shield easier than a sword and also break bones a lot easier.  They also required less metal to make.  Swords were expensive and required a lot of iron to make.  Analysis done on some recovered Viking swords from the early period actually revealed that a lot of them were made with poor quality iron.  One has to remember that they lived on the edge of the known world during the "Dark Ages" and things got to them last.  

It wasn't until the introduction of the Ulfberht sword the it became a weapon of choice for the Vikings.  This happened in the middle Viking period.  This was a huge leap forward  in both metallurgy and design.  There was a great NOVA episode called "Secrets of the Viking Sword"that details this pretty good.

Thanks for the heads-up.  Found it on YouTube and watching now:

Just watched the Ulfberht sword video.  That was cool as hell.  Thanks for sharing that.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The Bible > Vikings
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know much about viking combat, but I'm digging all the small axe/tomahawk fighting. I've always thought it makes for great fight choreography.

Ragnar was parrying a lot with his axe since he was without a shield in the fight scene this episode. Would a wooden handle prevent a sword from biting into it, or sliding down the shaft and taking off their hand? I'd think you'd be missing fingers if you did that long enough.

From what I have read, the axe was a preferred weapon for many Vikings in the early Viking period.  Especially in the ninth century.  The axe brings a lot of energy to the point of contact.  It can shatter a wooden shield easier than a sword and also break bones a lot easier.  They also required less metal to make.  Swords were expensive and required a lot of iron to make.  Analysis done on some recovered Viking swords from the early period actually revealed that a lot of them were made with poor quality iron.  One has to remember that they lived on the edge of the known world during the "Dark Ages" and things got to them last.  

It wasn't until the introduction of the Ulfberht sword the it became a weapon of choice for the Vikings.  This happened in the middle Viking period.  This was a huge leap forward  in both metallurgy and design.  There was a great NOVA episode called "Secrets of the Viking Sword"that details this pretty good.

Just watched the Ulfberht sword video.  That was cool as hell.  Thanks for sharing that.  

Agreed. NOVA is fantastic, Secrets of the Samurai Sword is just as good.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Bible > Vikings

The bible was so ghey I had to stop watching it after the 2nd episode.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Bible > Vikings

I tried, and I could not watch either..

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

you be the judge, squire

http://www.magweb.com/picts/nm2542123.jpghttp://image.qpicture.com/image/k/artist-katheryn-winnick/katheryn-winnick-359829.jpg

Pretty sure I would have to "Get Both"  

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I watched the first five episodes the other night, and I'm impressed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I will keep watching
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Bible > Vikings

I tried, and I could not watch either..  

They are changing the way stuff happened too much. That is the only reason I couldn't get involved. Like the samurai warriors bouncing through Sodom.

ETA*** I forgot to watch that sword video. Will tune in tonight.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#27]
This show is fucking awesome, and I love the theme song.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was somewhat customary to offer ones wife to a guest, though usually it was for travelers that were far from home.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Which one?  The one on the show or the one on the commercials?  I like both :)

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sail by Awolnation. Going to pull it up and listen to it again.

As for the show it is tits. Who wants to be the Swedish king?
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Love the show!  I'm no history buff about Norse mythology but have a general knowledge of it.  After the first episode intro when Ragnar catches a glimpse of Odin and the Valkyries I was hoping it would have more of that instead of just a few lines here and there about Thor celebrating, etc.  I like watching the captive priest learn about the pagan religions, etc.  There are a lot of really good aspects to the show and good character development -  not just hacking and slashing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awf45u6zrP0

Definitely both but I meant the opening credits.  So dark and ancient-feeling.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love youtube

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_5YxmJ9Ic

The music video is pretty cool.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love youtube

Kind of sounds a little like Pink Floyd to me but back in the days when I listened to Floyd I was stoned or I may just have a tin ear

ETA: Parts of the song remind me of Floyd

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love youtube

Kind of sounds a little like Pink Floyd to me but back in the days when I listened to Floyd I was stoned or I may just have a tin ear

They had Viking ancestors, you know.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The music video is pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBAzlNJonO8

Creepy and dark.  That song seems to dredge up something primordial.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love youtube

The first time I heard the full song PF immediately came to mind.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Viking based logic and Christian based logic are not the same..

Quoted:

1. So you refer to "battle and heroic victory" as slaughtering men that are unarmed & don't fight back. I grant these butcherings actually happened but at least don't try to portray this Ragnar guy as a good one.  The show is from a Viking point of view. To them Ragnar is a "good one" if he follows the rules of his gods.

2. You know this Earl guy means you harm, so you celebrate IN TOWN, with your friends drunk & mostly unarmed.  To do anything else would be a showing of fear and cowardice. Not really the Viking way if you want to eventually reach Valhalla or want more support from other warriors.

3. After the above assassination attempt fails, you leave your farm to hunt & have all your workers act as it's business as usual. No guards, not even arming them with hard clubs. And you send all your warrior friends away too.  A man has his priorities I guess. Bowhunting is pretty high on the list of mine too. And if women and farms were as easy to come by as the next town sacking I would probably not be so worried.

4. So there were no witnesses to your wife's almost rape, you admit to killing the guy yourself knowing the Earl hates you. Where as you could have just said he died in the course of sacking the city & there'd be nobody to say otherwise....  His wife is not as popular as he is with the community. She could be easily done away with. He could also be thinking way ahead by starting a feud that will lead him to be the ruler eventually  

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I've tried listening to some of Fever Ray's stuff... That's pretty much the only good song i've come across.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love youtube

Damn that song is so badass
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#43]

I was just surfing the SA revolver thread and someone posted this photo which looks striking similiar to that Swedish king introduced during last episode.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_01265.JPG

I was just surfing the SA revolver thread and someone posted this photo which looks striking similiar to that Swedish king introduced during last episode.

Distant relative to <gasp> James "Buck Angle" Yeager?!

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

that was intersting
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Those people all look the same  
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love youtube

reminded me of this
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those people all look the same  

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've tried listening to some of Fever Ray's stuff... That's pretty much the only good song i've come across.  

That much I assumed without listening to any other songs.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#50]
The Bible, Vikings, and Walking Dead are all good shows.  Go watch 30Cock or parks & recreation if you disagree hippies.

Did you catch the portrayal of Satan in The Bible?  0-bama himself!   LOL
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top