Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 557
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speaking of which, the idiocy displayed by that female ref (I think the first one ever) in the Redskins/Browns game remains one of those most absurd things I’ve ever seen from an NFL ref.

All refs make mistakes.  Especially when trying to make judgments with less than a second to think about it.  However, to run up to a pile to determine who has the ball, make a change of possession decision based on what you see, AND THE BALL ISN’T EVEN THERE is next level incompetence.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7220621/giphy.gif

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/05ED3717-A008-4E1C-A63C-E4F948453271_jpe-2821710.JPG
View Quote

Is it possible she did see who had the ball, and she's just focusing on where it was spotted on the field?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Shouldn't the lions be on that list ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is it possible she did see who had the ball, and she's just focusing on where it was spotted on the field?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking of which, the idiocy displayed by that female ref (I think the first one ever) in the Redskins/Browns game remains one of those most absurd things I’ve ever seen from an NFL ref.

All refs make mistakes.  Especially when trying to make judgments with less than a second to think about it.  However, to run up to a pile to determine who has the ball, make a change of possession decision based on what you see, AND THE BALL ISN’T EVEN THERE is next level incompetence.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7220621/giphy.gif

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/05ED3717-A008-4E1C-A63C-E4F948453271_jpe-2821710.JPG

No.

The Browns' player recovered the ball, got off the pile with the ball, and was holding the ball in the air.

She ran over to the pile, looked down, and signaled it was the Redskins' ball.  Watching the replay I think its pretty obvious she never even saw the Browns' player with the ball which means she never saw the ball at all when she signaled the change of possession.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
TJ Watt posted a video of himself slipping and falling in his pool at home.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
TJ Watt posted a video of himself slipping and falling in his pool at home.

View Quote

Eh, nothing to worry about. The Watt brothers are known for being very sturdy guys that never miss extended periods of time due to injury.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Via The Athletic, during the owner's meeting next week there will be a vote on whether flex scheduling will be extended to TNF or not. The vote failed to pass at the March meeting when it came up just 2 votes short of approval.

The push for a yes vote is following a steep decline of viewership seen on Amazon Prime last season. Down an avg of 4 million viewers per game compared to 2021. That was partly due to the move to digital from linear, but also many of the games were poor matchups that drew criticism, and even mocking lines from Al Michaels, who provided commentary for the contests. Thus the push to provide flex scheduling.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No.

The Browns' player recovered the ball, got off the pile with the ball, and was holding the ball in the air.

She ran over to the pile, looked down, and signaled it was the Redskins' ball.  Watching the replay I think its pretty obvious she never even saw the Browns' player with the ball which means she never saw the ball at all when she signaled the change of possession.

View Quote

What do you expect? Its a typical woman jumping to conclusions without having all the facts
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
This is petty on another level. Love this kind of thing between divisional opponents. The Bucs have filed a trademark lawsuit against the Saints for the Saints use of the word "krewe", claiming they started using it first and use it for more things. Krewe is Cajun slang, straight Louisiana to the core. But instead of meeting in arbitration or taking it up within the league, the Bucs have filed a lawsuit to block the Saints from using it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

9 career NFL seasons

8 First Team All Pro

1 Second Team All Pro

3 MVPs

I met him at a charity event a long time ago.  Standing about 5 feet away from Jim Brown, my little cousin loudly asked his father "is that the grenade guy from that war movie?"  I was kinda surprised to see Jim Brown have a good laugh about it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Shouldn't the lions be on that list ?
View All Quotes
There's no way the jets offense is better than miami.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the all time greats. RIP.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Before the regular season even starts, Tua suffers his 87th concussion.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

9 career NFL seasons

8 First Team All Pro

1 Second Team All Pro

3 MVPs

I met him at a charity event a long time ago.  Standing about 5 feet away from Jim Brown, my little cousin loudly asked his father "is that the grenade guy from that war movie?"  I was kinda surprised to see Jim Brown have a good laugh about it.
View Quote

Think he still holds the record for YPC for an entire season?  5.5 or something?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ah Damn.  He seemed like a good guy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Think he still holds the record for YPC for an entire season?  5.5 or something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 career NFL seasons

8 First Team All Pro

1 Second Team All Pro

3 MVPs

I'm not sure, but among the 2,000 yard rushing club the record belongs to Barry Sanders with 6.1 yards per attempt in 1997.

As far as rushing yards per game for an entire season, I doubt anyone will EVER break OJ's record of 143.1 in 1973.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
At the March owner's meeting, the owners moved forward with a proposal to allow for fair catches inside the 25-yard line to be ruled a touchback on kickoffs (matching college rules). However there has been strong opposition from special teams' players and coaches. A special teams veteran from every team joined all 32 NFL specials teams coaches on a conference call on Monday to discuss opposing the rule.

They argue the rule change, being made in the name of player safety and concussion reduction, will have unintended consequences such as increasing the number of squib kicks (no fair catch) which would lead to more contact as well as bringing up concerns on how muff rules will work on those fair catches. They also argue a fair catch outside the goal line won't reduce impacts because everyone else on the play is still going full speed and blocking until after the catch is made.

The proposal requires 24 yes votes at next week's owner's meeting to be enacted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At the March owner's meeting, the owners moved forward with a proposal to allow for fair catches inside the 25-yard line to be ruled a touchback on kickoffs (matching college rules). However there has been strong opposition from special teams' players and coaches. A special teams veteran from every team joined all 32 NFL specials teams coaches on a conference call on Monday to discuss opposing the rule.

They argue the rule change, being made in the name of player safety and concussion reduction, will have unintended consequences such as increasing the number of squib kicks (no fair catch) which would lead to more contact as well as bringing up concerns on how muff rules will work on those fair catches. They also argue a fair catch outside the goal line won't reduce impacts because everyone else on the play is still going full speed and blocking until after the catch is made.

The proposal requires 24 yes votes at next week's owner's meeting to be enacted.
View Quote

I don’t like that one.

Of course I’m opposed to ANY rule change that moves us one step closer to the inevitable elimination of kickoffs all together.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad says he was the greatest he ever saw play.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fist bump in the preseason and he's out
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a trash rule...  so much for pinning them deep.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one is just for kickoffs, but I wouldn’t be shocked if in the not so distant future they add a similar rule for punts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's already bad enough and it'll almost certainly get worse.  It seems like pretty much every crew has a female ref now.  If they actually earned the spot, that'd be fine, but does anyone here honestly think those women getting the jobs instead of men are there because they are among the top 0.1% best football refs in this country?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Twelve NFL officials have left this off-season. It is the most in a single off-season since 2013. It is also just the 2nd time in NFL history in which double digit officials have left in consecutive years.

More than 20 officials in the last two years? I'm sure that won't negatively impact the officiating at all.

I wonder how many are retiring vs quitting/moving on/moving up.

What are the odds they hire/promote way more women and or minorities for diversity sake? And I don't mean African American men as those hires actually make sense. Hate to be that guy but......

It's already bad enough and it'll almost certainly get worse.  It seems like pretty much every crew has a female ref now.  If they actually earned the spot, that'd be fine, but does anyone here honestly think those women getting the jobs instead of men are there because they are among the top 0.1% best football refs in this country?

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 career NFL seasons

8 First Team All Pro

1 Second Team All Pro

3 MVPs

In 2010, Jamaal Charles (NFL all time leading YPC career among RBs with over 750 carries) had 6.4 YPC average over 230 carries (1467 yds).

ETA: 1963, Jim Brown had 291 Carrie’s at 6.4 ypc for 1863 yds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In 2010, Jamaal Charles (NFL all time leading YPC career among RBs with over 750 carries) had 6.4 YPC average over 230 carries (1467 yds).

ETA: 1963, Jim Brown had 291 Carrie’s at 6.4 ypc for 1863 yds.
View Quote

Thanks!  It’s amazing to me how many of the all-time records were set back in the 50s and 60s — Norm Van Brocklin’s passing yards in a game, Night Train Lane’s interceptions in a season, Sid Luckman setting the record for  TDs in a game in 1943 (tied but never beaten since then), OJs 2000 yards in only 14 games in the 70s.  The game was so incredibly different back then, but the records are eye-popping.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't like that one.

Of course I'm opposed to ANY rule change that moves us one step closer to the inevitable elimination of kickoffs all together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like that one.

Of course I'm opposed to ANY rule change that moves us one step closer to the inevitable elimination of kickoffs all together.

It makes sense for college because a lot of college kickers can't consistently hit the end zone for a touchback anyways. Every NFL kicker should be able to do that with ease.

They need to create a buffer zone around the sidelines that prevents unnecessary people from creating a safety risk. The only people that need to be there are the coaches, refs, and the chain guys. People with cameras, mics, and all the other BS can stay back a little ways.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#30]

That’s a lot of money.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Eh, nothing to worry about. The Watt brothers are known for being very sturdy guys that never miss extended periods of time due to injury.
View Quote

Lol. I'm glad TJ never misses any time to injury.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

RIP Jim. Such a beast in the day. He ran roughshod over defenses despite them knowing he was running the ball.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#33]

That's quite the bizarre tale. I look forward to seeing how this plays out. CIA operative, Stolen gold, former Philippines President.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#34]
In the wake of five players being suspended in April, the NFL is investigating a second wave of potential violations of its gambling policy, multiple sources told ESPN.

The NFL is in partnership with a third-party company (US Integrity) that investigates and monitors for players potentially gambling in violation of league policy. Apparently, they are using cell phone geolocation data to monitor whether players are placing bets from team facilities. The company also provides lists of prohibited individuals (players and coaches) for gambling platforms to monitor.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#35]
The Patriots have hired former Princeton director of football operations Maya Ana Callender to serve as a full-time entry-level scout. She previously worked for the Eagles in 2021 under a training-camp fellowship.

While at Princeton she was their professional/NFL liaison. She worked with all the NFL scouts who visited the campes to check out a player.

"She talked about the players, their injury histories, how she had evaluated their performances. Then, by the time the scouts got to me, they didn't have a lot of questions. I was kind of irrelevant on that, which was a new thing for me. She was terrific." - Princeton head coach Bob Surace.

The NFL had 22 full-time female scouts in 2022, this is New England's first.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#36]
NFL league office employees recently visited Charlotte NC to hear a pitch from city officials for bringing the NFL Draft to the city. They toured First Ward Park as a potential draft location. The NFL is soon to announce the 2025 location which is rumored to be Wisconsin, so Charlotte is likely proposing for 2026 or beyond. The 2024 draft is already set to be in Detroit.

"I believe they were impressed by our city, our southern hospitality, as well as, overall the excitement and support our community showed for this opportunity. I want to thank each of you again for your time and efforts to hopefully bring the NFL Draft to Charlotte!" - Charlotte Sports Foundation Chief Operating Officer Will Pitts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
NFL league office employees recently visited Charlotte NC to hear a pitch from city officials for bringing the NFL Draft to the city. They toured First Ward Park as a potential draft location. The NFL is soon to announce the 2025 location which is rumored to be Wisconsin, so Charlotte is likely proposing for 2026 or beyond. The 2024 draft is already set to be in Detroit.

"I believe they were impressed by our city, our southern hospitality, as well as, overall the excitement and support our community showed for this opportunity. I want to thank each of you again for your time and efforts to hopefully bring the NFL Draft to Charlotte!" - Charlotte Sports Foundation Chief Operating Officer Will Pitts.
View Quote

They're actually going to hold a Draft in Wisconsin, in April?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yahoo: An official decision hasn't been announced by the league but Yahoo Sports' NFL insider Charles Robinson reported that Wisconsin would "probably" get a chance to host the 2025 NFL Draft after losing to Detroit as a finalist for the 2024 event.

PFN: Detroit beat out Green Bay and Washington, D.C., for rights to the 2024 NFL Draft. The Packers have also applied for 2025 and 2027. Packers president Mark Murphy said, "We'll be given strong consideration. We've been close on other ones, too." As a finalist for the 2024 NFL Draft, Green Bay is a logical choice for 2025, especially compared to the relative turmoil surrounding the Washington Commanders and Dan Snyder.

The Green Bay Common Council passed a "Community Leader Agreement" in March pledging their support to the draft including committing host city support (venues, storage, hotels, other services), agreeing to the NFL "clean zone" rules (which we have discussed before and are pretty fucked up), expediting all permits and applications with all government agencies, cover all Public Works costs (road closures, garbage, cleaning, etc), cover all law enforcement and emergency service costs, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Tom Brady, who has un-officially owned the Raiders since January 19th 2002, looks to be making it official.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to be in Milwaukee...not enough resources otherwise, hotels, restaurants, etc....? Maybe I'm wrong since thy can host games there....
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Have to be in Milwaukee...not enough resources otherwise, hotels, restaurants, etc....? Maybe I'm wrong....
View Quote
The proposal was for Green Bay. They entered for 2024, 2025 and 2027.

They skipped 2026 because "its energies that year will go toward hosting the Wisconsin - Notre Dame game at Lambeau Field."
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good. Having a RB taking snaps in the playoffs because there are no available QBs is retarded.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was going to say the rule is dumb since everyone has the same roster so it's up to a team whether they wanted to carry 3 QBs or not all along, but there are some requirements on the rule that makes it so I don't care much.

The 3rd quarterback must come from their 53 player active roster. Can not come off the practice squad. So they still have to carry the 3rd quarterback on their roster, and they do count against that roster. The player just does not count against the game day active list (47 players).
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Here are some photos from Jake Haener's official team photo shoot (Saints QB, drafted in the 4th round).
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Tom Brady, who has un-officially owned the Raiders since January 19th 2002, looks to be making it official.
View Quote

Does Brady's alliance with Satan carry over to ownership?
Or did that finally expire at retirement as a player?
Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top