Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 557
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Via The Athletic, during the owner's meeting next week there will be a vote on whether flex scheduling will be extended to TNF or not. The vote failed to pass at the March meeting when it came up just 2 votes short of approval.

The push for a yes vote is following a steep decline of viewership seen on Amazon Prime last season. Down an avg of 4 million viewers per game compared to 2021. That was partly due to the move to digital from linear, but also many of the games were poor matchups that drew criticism, and even mocking lines from Al Michaels, who provided commentary for the contests. Thus the push to provide flex scheduling.
View Quote
Mark Davis doesn't flinch when expressing how he would address the possibility of flexible scheduling for late-season Thursday night games on Amazon. "Just make the schedule and play it."

When asked if he would support additional FLEX scheduling, "Absolutely not."

"If you have a Raiders-Chargers game in Las Vegas scheduled for a Thursday, and all of the fans driving from Los Angeles - the Raiders fans and all three Chargers fans - buy their tickets and book their hotels, how in the hell do you schedule it and now say, 'Sorry, it's now on Sunday?' How in the hell do you do that?"

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
At the March owner's meeting, the owners moved forward with a proposal to allow for fair catches inside the 25-yard line to be ruled a touchback on kickoffs (matching college rules). However there has been strong opposition from special teams' players and coaches. A special teams veteran from every team joined all 32 NFL specials teams coaches on a conference call on Monday to discuss opposing the rule.

They argue the rule change, being made in the name of player safety and concussion reduction, will have unintended consequences such as increasing the number of squib kicks (no fair catch) which would lead to more contact as well as bringing up concerns on how muff rules will work on those fair catches. They also argue a fair catch outside the goal line won't reduce impacts because everyone else on the play is still going full speed and blocking until after the catch is made.

The proposal requires 24 yes votes at next week's owner's meeting to be enacted.
View Quote

Edit: Pat McAfee on the proposal, "This rule is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. ... It's the most amateur, bush-league-looking bullshit I have seen in a long time when it comes to the NFL."
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

"The Draft has become a prominent offseason event hosted in different cities with spectacular locations across the country, and we are excited to work with the Packers and Discover Green Bay to bring the 2025 NFL Draft to Green Bay and iconic Lambeau field," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "With the help of numerous local partners on the ground, our prospects and fans will be treated to an incredible week-long experience that shows off the city of Green Bay and the state of Wisconsin."

"This is an incredible day for the Packers, Greater Green Bay and the entire state of Wisconsin as we are excited and honored to be selected to host the 2025 NFL Draft," said Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy. "The Packers have a rich and proud history that goes back to the early days of the NFL and are the only community owned team. That connection to our League's heritage combined with the great passion Packers fans will bring will make the Draft a memorable event for those in attendance and NFL fans watching around the world.

"Today's announcement is the result of years of hard work by our Draft committee, particularly Gabrielle Dow from the Packers and Brad Toll from Discover Green Bay. Their tireless efforts putting together a bid and a plan to host the Draft here, as well as the extraordinary support we've received from our community partners, has created this unprecedented opportunity to showcase our community. We couldn't be more excited to host the 2025 NFL Draft."
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Flexing SNF and even MNF makes sense.  

But flexing TNF and forcing teams to play 3 days earlier is pretty “”, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#12]
https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/former-eagles-qb-carson-wentz-packers/

This would be pretty neat. Some awesome hunting in Northern Wisconsin. Say what you will about Wentz, he's got a lot of experience that could help Love out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/former-eagles-qb-carson-wentz-packers/

This would be pretty neat. Some awesome hunting in Northern Wisconsin. Say what you will about Wentz, he's got a lot of experience that could help Love out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Either of those last games could be two basement level teams fighting it out for no reason.   I could certainly see a reason they wouldn't want that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flexing SNF and even MNF makes sense.  

But flexing TNF and forcing teams to play 3 days earlier is pretty “”, IMO.

Either of those last games could be two basement level teams fighting it out for no reason.   I could certainly see a reason they wouldn't want that.

As can I, but I’m talking about the fairness of telling teams (especially late in a season) that their game will be played on a short week and 3 days earlier than they planned for.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Enough with the half measures. Either fucking get rid of it, or leave it be.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll bet you it has nothing to do with safety and more to do with tilting the balance of power in favor of the offense even more. The NFL just made punters almost pointless, too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
He picked 5 of the top 6 offenses (PPG) from 2022, so not exactly reaching/going out on a limb. He passed over the Cowboys who were 4th last year.

For any upset Bengals fans for being neglected, they were 7th last year. Right behind the 49ers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless I’m missing something or mis-remembering his performance, there are a bunch of teams that should be calling his agent immediately.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'll bet you it has nothing to do with safety and more to do with tilting the balance of power in favor of the offense even more. The NFL just made punters almost pointless, too.
View Quote

I bet it is kickoffs only. The Tweet was not well written.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Jason McCourty previously joined the NFL Network becoming one of the hosts of Good Morning Football. His twin Devin will now be joining NBC. Devin will be appearing on Football Night in America.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Enough with the half measures. Either fucking get rid of it, or leave it be.
View Quote

Get rid of it. Kickoffs suck. They burn what, 5 minutes of real time? There’s usually only 2 recognizable names on the field, the kicker and the returner. All the real football players are taking a breath and planning what to do when the real football starts back up.

One time in maybe 30? 50? Something interesting will happen. The rest of the time I’m watching with one eye and the other eye is on my phone or computer screen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

One time in maybe 30? 50? Something interesting will happen. The rest of the time I'm watching with one eye and the other eye is on my phone or computer screen.
View Quote
Last season there were 6 kickoff returns for a touchdown.
There were ~2,700 kickoffs over 272 games (~10 per game).

That means there was one kickoff return per every 45 games (~1 every 3 weeks).
Furthermore, that is just one return per every ~450 kickoffs.

More than likely, you went the entire season without ever seeing a kickoff return except on a highlight replay.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Injury watch:

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

More than likely, you went the entire season without ever seeing a kickoff return except on a highlight replay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One time in maybe 30? 50? Something interesting will happen. The rest of the time I'm watching with one eye and the other eye is on my phone or computer screen.

Or if you watch the Bills, Hines had 2 in one game

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which skews the results even more for the rest of the season/games.
Stretches the KO returns to appearing in only 1 game out of every 54.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Video in the Tweet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#36]

"Lots of drops today." Happens when your 14 member receiving corps (WR/TE) have less than 200 career receptions combined.

Although the Tweet specifically mentions Dillon and Jones, who, as two RBs, have more career receptions than the 14 WRs/TEs combined.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Injury watch:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He picked 5 of the top 6 offenses (PPG) from 2022, so not exactly reaching/going out on a limb. He passed over the Cowboys who were 4th last year.

For any upset Bengals fans for being neglected, they were 7th last year. Right behind the 49ers.
View Quote

Nah, Bengals fan aren’t mad. They know the Bengals aren’t even contenders this year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope so.  Punts are a huge part of the game.  Belichik could probably fill hours talking about fricken punts.

Quoted:
Jason McCourty previously joined the NFL Network becoming one of the hosts of Good Morning Football. His twin Devin will now be joining NBC. Devin will be appearing on Football Night in America.

Haven't watched Jason, but Devin is super well spoken.  Not sure how well that will translate over to his new gig, but i hope he's successful.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Get rid of it. Kickoffs suck. They burn what, 5 minutes of real time? There’s usually only 2 recognizable names on the field, the kicker and the returner. All the real football players are taking a breath and planning what to do when the real football starts back up.

One time in maybe 30? 50? Something interesting will happen. The rest of the time I’m watching with one eye and the other eye is on my phone or computer screen.
View Quote

I’m OK with getting rid of all kicking. Field goals can be the QB has to throw into a tire at the back of the end zone and have various extra point conversions, with varying difficulty. Punting, forget about it, not an option. The punt is thrown by the QB.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Old man problems.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Old man problems.
View Quote

I officially feel terrible for Jets fans...fair to middlin' play from their (old man) star QB, when he can make it on the field.

And I'm a bit older than Rodgers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I officially feel terrible for Jets fans...fair to middlin' play from their (old man) star QB, when he can make it on the field.

And I'm a bit older than Rodgers.
View Quote
I find it impossible to feel bad for Jets fans.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hope so.  Punts are a huge part of the game.  Belichik could probably fill hours talking about fricken punts.

Haven't watched Jason, but Devin is super well spoken.  Not sure how well that will translate over to his new gig, but i hope he's successful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope that Jason and Devin troll their respective employers on the last week of the season by switching places and seeing if anyone notices.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I hope that Jason and Devin troll their respective employers on the last week of the season by switching places and seeing if anyone notices.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Fucking do it. I dare you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Didn't it turn out he wasn't even present when the gang rape he was crucified in the court of public opinion for occurred?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Didn't it turn out he wasn't even present when the gang rape he was crucified in the court of public opinion for occurred?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also he admitted to fucking the minor before the gang rape event, so he's not really 100% innocent. She was legally of a minor age.
Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top