BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get out of it because I would get fired for missing work even one day.  But if I didn’t have this job I would definitely do it.
View Quote

Isn't it illegal for an employer to fire someone for missing work due to jury duty?

Pretty sure that would be a fat paycheck for you and criminal charges for the company.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You get many benefits as a citizen.  You have a few obligations such as paying taxes, voting, and rarely by serving on a jury.  Yes, we bitch about all three.

But wouldn't you want someone with your values on a jury if you were a party?  Self defense shooting case?  Don't bitch about liberal juries if you're not willing to serve.  
View Quote

We ought to be bitching about taxes considering what they spend it on and considering who doesn't pay.

We shouldn't be complaining about jury duty. You're correct we need good people on it I wish they would call me I would do it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Because whether I have jury duty or not I have to do my job.  So sorry if I’m not too keen on listening to lawyers and judges bloviate and waste my time all the while I would be waiting to get home to do 10 hours of work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are joking.
why is jury duty such a hard ship?
Do your civic duty.
I was called, showed up, not chosen.  In and out in 45 minutes.
It was a DUI case.
I think the lawyers pre-screen the candidates.
I wasn’t even asked a question and was dismissed before they started asking questions.
Do your duty

Because whether I have jury duty or not I have to do my job.  So sorry if I’m not too keen on listening to lawyers and judges bloviate and waste my time all the while I would be waiting to get home to do 10 hours of work.

Hopefully you will never find yourself needing a good jury to protect yourself against the state. Good thing some of Rittenhouses jurors didn't shirk their duty.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Man, ain’t nobody got time for that!

Got out of it a few years ago, guess they didn’t forget about me.

You guys get called before? Anyone get stuck on a long case?
View Quote

When I get called, nobody EVER wants me on a jury because of where I work. Last time I did jury duty was probably 25 years ago, ag assault case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HA!  I just got released from jury duty this afternoon.  There were 175 of us selected as potential jurors for this trial.  All we knew was that it was a trial for a murder with a gun in the city of Albany, which is just north of Berkeley, in 2015.  No further details.  We did three days of voir dire trying to whittle down the jury pool.  Keep in mind that this is in the city of Oakland, Alameda County, California.  The capitol of social justice and equity.  There are a lot of well educated and extremely liberal people here  (well, no shit Sherlock)  who suffer from extreme cases of white guilt and are very vocal about the inequities in the justice system and have no compunction actually arguing with the judge in court. Also quite a few immigrants from China, Russia, France and other countries who were very confused about the First and Fifth Amendments and had to be educated repeatedly while in the jury box.  

The judge was a friggin' superstar,  obviously the smartest man in the room (I'm not kidding, this guy was sharp) and extremely patient and tolerant with the fucking retards in the jury pool.  Plus he had a sense of humor which helped a lot.  It seemed to me that the most educated people in the pool had the most ridiculous opinions on the justice system.  People with multiple degrees and doctorates who hated the justice system and actually could not be convinced to abide by the requirements of jury service.  The judge politely and respectfully tried to convince them of the error of their ways and when they adamantly refused he just dismissed them with no further comment or response.  

Anyway,  after eliminating many people they finished picking the 12 jurors and 4 alternates this afternoon.  Just a few more dismissals and I would have potentially been in the box. This trial is expected to last 8 weeks.  The defendant was cleaned up and wore a mask the entire time.  He looked like like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.  Without the mask he looks like a killer,  someone you would avoid if you ran into him on the street.

The trial was just for one murder.  However after I got home I did some searching and came up with some news stories on this piece of shit.

One murder that they know of, at least 6 rapes, home invasion, kidnapping, burglary and some other heinous crimes.  He qualifies for the death penalty in multiple instances.  However this particular murder, despite being a death penalty case for multiple reasons, is not a death penalty case.  Thanks a lot district attorney and social justice warrior pamela price.  Go team equity!  Another piece of shit.

Please, if you can, do jury duty.  I actually find jury duty tedious but fascinating and I wish now that I was on this jury.

eta No idea why his photo didn't show in the first link, so here's another link.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Randhir-Kaur-UCSF-albany-killing-rape-Keith-Kenard-12754105.php

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Suspected-serial-killer-rapist-pleads-not-guilty-13104354.php

View Quote

Like the death penalty actually means anything in CA? Crimes barely count in CA. Felons are released (like this guy) to do what they do again, and again. I did my jury duty in CA when I lived there, wasn't chosen but serving on a jury would have been a total waste of my time. A POS like that? I already know the outcome. If he is put in jail, Gascon will let him out.  Racism and all that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
My one son got called for jury duty yesterday.

He went in, the judge said they didn't have anything ready for trial, and they sent everyone home be 10 AM.

One time I was called and actually got questioned for a jury. I ended up asking the defense attorney a question that got me,  and all of the other potential jurors in the room dismissed because I had put bad thoughts about the case into their heads.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Look at it as a chance to make a difference in someone's life. You may have a chance to save someone from unreasonable persecution, or impart justice for a true criminal. Take this seriously, it is not a joke and is an important responsibility.
View Quote

Or jury nullify an un-Constitutional gun law.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I was young I did insurance defense, like defending personal injury actions. I'd go and pick a jury  frequently knowing I had the money authorization to settle the case. Sometimes it would just settle as the plaintiff got scared once the jury was coming in. Sometimes I'd pick the jury and maybe do opening arguments. I wanted the plaintiff to go on lunch break sometimes, they would sometimes crack then.

Usually I'd want to settle before they testified because I figured after you testified you'd feel like the bad part was behind you. But sometimes I'd bust 'em up on cross and decided to take the verdict if they really sucked. But a lot of the time I had no intention of taking a verdict, I just tried it for awhile to try to save some money for the insurance company.

I think over the years judges have tried to crack down on that, although it's tough in civil cases. In criminal cases they'd say they would accept a plea. Some judges meant it some would still work with you on pleading someone out.
View Quote

MD courts require a settlement conference at the courthouse 30 days prior to civil trials.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Just use the Larry David method.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I get out of it because I would get fired for missing work even one day.  But if I didn’t have this job I would definitely do it.
View Quote

Isn't that illegal?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I got called... case was 1 suspect who had allegedly committed 2 armed home invasions and forcible rapes...

Plot twist: both victims were MALE.  

Fortunately I wasn't selected
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hope you are joking.
Do your civic duty.
It was a DUI case.
I wasn't even asked a question and was dismissed before they started asking questions.
Do your duty
View Quote
Ha. You are there all day where I'm at regardless if you're picked or not. Must be available all week.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Wife just got a notice in the mail that she has to call in EVERY DAY for the month of Feb to see if she needs to report. A whole freaking month.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Isn't it illegal for an employer to fire someone for missing work due to jury duty?
Pretty sure that would be a fat paycheck for you and criminal charges for the company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'd probably say it was for another reason.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I was just summoned for a date this month.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hope you are joking.
Do your civic duty.
It was a DUI case.
I wasn’t even asked a question and was dismissed before they started asking questions.
Do your duty
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are joking.
Do your civic duty.
It was a DUI case.
Do your duty

Because some of us lose thousands of dollars if we have to do jury duty.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even for jury duty?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Too many people try to get out of it, which is a disgrace.  Too many people also don't try hard enough to get selected.

"I make myself all presentable but I always get sent home" - wink, wink - nudge, nudge.

This isn't the 1950s anymore.  Showing up clean and pressed is no longer the way.  Show up looking like a degenerate, get selected and do some good for Gods sake.  Your ass may depend on someone else doing the same someday.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Don’t let just liberal old ladies be the jury pool!!!

I served on a battery case against a guy…It was quickly obvious it was a fabricated story by a vindictive ex girlfriend seeking revenge on the guy who dumped her ass.  

It was so empowering when they polled the jury to look the #metoo, woke DA in the eyes and say “NOT GUILTY”.  Was absolutely a travesty they actually prosecuted this in the first case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#20]
You live in a country that gives so much and asks so little.  Jury duty is one of those asks.  Do it.

When noticed, I spent a week sitting on the 3rd floor waiting to be picked.  I ended up with a certificate and enough money to cover my parking. I lost a lot of money.  But, it was worth it to know I did the right thing.  It was also an invaluable experience that I can work into my own jury void dire and closings .

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did a murder case. An individual chopped up their kid. May God have pity on them because not one of the jurors did.
View Quote

Called often, never served. I handle rejection well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reduction in workforce, right to work states are great!
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Wife was on a pretty stupid jury last year.  

Guy was seeking custody of his kids.  Previous court laid out requirements he had to meet in order to pursue this.  The requirements were basic black n white shit like have your own place, have a job, etc.  if was obvious he didnt do his end of the bargain but for some reason requested a jury to make that call.  

All the jurors were like,”This guy obviously didn’t meet a single requirement.  Why are we even here?”
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had jury duty 3 times I think.  The first two times, I did the call in thing for a couple of weeks and never had to report.  This latest time, I had to go to the courthouse and go through jury selection 3 or 4 times.  I never even made it to the jury box for selection.  They drew names and never pulled mine.  I actually wanted to serve since I was there.

On the last day, there were 30 of us there.  They must have gone through 25, excluding people for one thing or another, I still never got drawn.  On the other hand, I think I saw 5 or 6 people who would get drawn for every single case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Reported on Monday. Released after 3 hours of hanging around.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hopefully you will never find yourself needing a good jury to protect yourself against the state. Good thing some of Rittenhouses jurors didn't shirk their duty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are joking.
Do your civic duty.
It was a DUI case.
Do your duty

Some people just can't see the forest from the trees
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I get out of it because I would get fired for missing work even one day.  But if I didn't have this job I would definitely do it.
View Quote
Please post the name of your employer so I can stay very clear of them
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I have been called but twice in 40+ years.  I would like to serve as I see it as my civic duty and I will receive full pay.

First time was 40 years ago and I was standing in the room with my supervisor at the time waiting to check in and told him I would be excused (it was a Friday and I wanted the extra day as I was leaving on a long road trip) and he laughed at me.

When I got to the front of the line entering the court room(?), I told the bailiff I needed to be excused and he was adamant the Judge never excused anyone.  

I told him he would excuse me.  

He was pretty smug when I persisted and he asked me why I was so special.  

When I told him I was a suspect in a murder investigation (true) I was dismissed on the spot.

Walking out past my supervisor and saying I would see him next week and watching his mouth hit the floor was priceless.

Second time was over 30 years ago and I came home from an overseas trip to find a stack of notices of how I didn't call in for jury duty and a Judge was not happy.  

I did't get the first notice until after I returned as I was already overseas.

A call to the clerks office cleared it up and I was excused for the remainder of my duty.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Last jury summons I got was during my second tour in Iraq.  Haven't got one since then.   I wish there was somebody I could talk to to find out if I've been permanently removed from the database or something.  I consider jury duty the most important duty of a citizen, much higher than paying taxes and at least equal with voting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I never get picked. But at least I can go hang out in the lawyer's lounge during the breaks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's how I handle it in Harris county. I'm four for five. Fuck sitting in an auditorium for hours with 1,000 of my peers and wasting half of my day.  I went one time otherwise it would be five for five.  Just had to see what I was missing out on.

Not a God damn thing.  Yeet that shit out the window unless its federal or you live in a small county.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been summoned 4 times.  I was selected for the first two (ended up being the jury foreman on both).  I was selected for the third but the defendant accepted a plea deal after the jury was selected so it didn't go to trial and we were dismissed.  I didn't get picked the fourth time.

Earlier this year I got a questionnaire for federal jury duty.  I replied to it (I know I'm eligible) but haven't heard back.  I need to go back and read it again but I believe it said I could be summoned in the next 2 years and it could be for a regular jury or a grand jury.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Summoned 3 times, never selected. What sucks is if I was ever called again (last time was in 2011...I think), I'd miss getting paid at work. And they don't pay shit for serving, here. So I'd definitely lose money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here’s my experience:

Defense attorney: What do you do for a living?
Me: I work for CDCR.
Defense attorney: Have a nice day.

Why does no one want to pick me?
View Quote

You’re in CA, I think we are talking about legitimate governments, not mock ones.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Did my online questionnaire this morning.

I start on the 22nd.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, and the people that say employers can't do that don't live in the real world .
Criminal charges?
We fired you for something else besides that jury duty thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Im on the hook for jury service this week. Hope i dont have to go, would be the first time not having to go in.

Ive been called to serve about 10x in the past 20 years, never served on a jury.

No defense attorney wants me on a jury, with my history of being a crime victim.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I live in North County so switch mine to Vista which has free onsite parking.  The first time I got called though I didn't and got boned on parking downtown as I was running late, luckily I didnt' get picked and it was only that 1 day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember the arfcommer who went to jury duty and the only place for him to park at the courthouse was paid parking that cost more than they pay for a day of jury duty.

That's normal in San Diego.  You either park a mile or so away for free and walk, or take an Uber or public transit, or suck it up and eat the difference.  The good news is there are some mighty fine places to eat within a few blocks of the courthouse.

I live in North County so switch mine to Vista which has free onsite parking.  The first time I got called though I didn't and got boned on parking downtown as I was running late, luckily I didnt' get picked and it was only that 1 day.

I got called in 2021 at the absolute height of the COVID-19 freak-out.  I had to sit in that horrible crowded jury lounge in the new courthouse for many hours, wearing a stupid mask.  It was summer and the A/C was out.  It must have been 80 degrees in there.  All of the decent places to eat e.g. The Fish Market were closed.  It was the stuff of nightmares.  The only good news is I didn't get called.  I used Uber to get there and back, so no parking issue that time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I’ve never gotten called. Both of my wives have had jury duty while married to me. And yes, I was married to them at different times. My mother-in-law has sat on juries twice, all in the time that I’ve never even gotten a summons. It almost makes me wonder if there’s a problem with the records.I probably would not be sad anyway, since I am a practicing attorney.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#40]
2 times in 55 years, first was time was spring/summer of 1992, I made it to the 16 sitting in the jury box...then 1 of the attorneys made a smart ass off cuff comment like "So, have any of you actually killed a person?" and he kind of chuckled.

The look on his face was priceless when I raised my hand and said "your honor can I talk to you?"

He motioned me to come forward, I said your honor I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to talk about the stuff we did over there"

He was a member of the VFW and we drank beers together...he knew I was a Desert Storm vet. so, he dismissed me

The next time was before the plandemic, I showed up to our small packed courthouse, standing room only, Judge said" i need 16 people in the bax and pointed to jury box, I didn't even have time to look at it and people ran and jumped to get there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I only got called once and selected for a murder trial. Even though I had to stand up during selection and answer if I had ever been arrested. I replied that I had an expungement as I remembered that I could answer no unless in court.

I got selected, paid by my employer and gave the defendant every benefit of reasonable doubt. We all convicted.

Having been through the system and sitting on a jury was a experience I never regretted and will do again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

First time I got the notice to serve, 1999. On the first day after waiting a couple hours, defendant walked out of the courthouse, we were dismissed and told the guy was in a domestic abuse case and was mentally ill.

Two times over the next 15 years received the notice and called in each night for recorded message to see if my group number was to report in, never got called. Very happy!

Next time I got the notice I had an extremely important business trip that week, I was let off due to my employment hardship. I was very polite in my request and actually asked for a re-schedule.

Re-schedule came the week of the November 2020 election, was given the opportunity to not show up if I was over (I believe it was 63?) and had COVID concerns. So, I (happily) was let off.

I expect a summons around 2025, and being retired, actually look forward to the interesting opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I just thought of this. My neighbor, just behind my house, we share a fence, is the District Judge. I know her well, that may come up at some point.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is it in the “hood”? If so, you need to get out of it
View Quote

Pretend your back hurts and get a Dr's note.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve been called once in 31 years. I would go even if it was in the bad part of town.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you want to be struck, simply speak up during jury selection, and answer counsels' questions honestly and thoughtfully.  One of them will strike you.  I'm batting three for three over the last 6 years or so.
View Quote

My wife was struck twice in that exact manner. She WANTED to get picked. Struck both times.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top