Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/21/2023 4:18:39 PM EDT
Cruising Craigslist and ran into this. Beautiful truck but it seems like a lot to me. Is this out of line?

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The whole used truck market is retarded.

Just 10 minutes ago I saw a 2000 F350, 7.3 with a manual, 380k miles listed for 11 grand, was posted this morning. Then saw pretty much the same truck but a different color listed a few towns over for 11 grand.

Who is going to pay 11 grand for a rusty NY truck with an under powered engine and a transmission that very likely doesn't have reverse?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s obscene.  92-96 fords are terrible now too.  I bought one new for 10k in 91. They go for that now.

4wd tax triples the price.  

I’ve decided to keep my 92 2wd F250 and fix it up and I don’t even really want it
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just 10 minutes ago I saw a 2000 F350, 7.3 with a manual, 380k miles listed for 11 grand, was posted this morning. Then saw pretty much the same truck but a different color listed a few towns over for 11 grand.

Who is going to pay 11 grand for a rusty NY truck with an under powered engine and a transmission that very likely doesn't have reverse?
View Quote

That same truck (without rust) in AZ is $20,000
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a few reasons why:
Flow of new trucks into the market is still constrained.
Older 2000s trucks are falling out of the market (being retired to salvage) faster than expected due to poor quality while 90s and older trucks are still holding reliable.
People are shunning 100k price tags for new trucks
People don't want the complex maintenence tasks with new trucks
People don't want all the technology involved.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 grand is a hell of a down payment on a new one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
1) That's at a dealer not a private sale so that right there should be a clue. They probably fucked someone over on a trade-in or it's one of the owners pet vehicles they're trying to dump off.  
2) Older trucks have been going up even before all the covid shenanigans which only accelerated the insanity.
3) If that was a private sale I think they could still easily get $20-25k for it. But i'll predicate that on what it looks like under the hood and body/frame.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I posted a pickup on Facebook literally an hour ago.

I'm in line with Edmunds and KBB.  Looking at other listings, I have undervalued it by 50%.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
For shits and giggles I tried finding a 1995 F350 as I had one and stupidly sold it.  

Good god, the cheapest was 11,000 and the most expensive was 25,000.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you interested in it? Because its a cool looking old truck?

You and 10,000 others.

Its called the free market.

When something is in short supply, and it has a lot of interest, the price goes up.

Last I checked they weren't rolling a ton of those off the ford assembly line anymore.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree the used truck market is whacked.
$30 grand for 100k+ mile trucks is crazy.
And another question is how in the fuck is it physically possible to put 70k miles on a two year old truck?
Do you have people staged around the country just driving it from coast to coast in shifts or something with a tanker truck pacing it on the highway for refills?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe there's just a lot of people out there that finally have enough money to buy a nice version of Dad's old trusty rusty beater. My dad had one just like that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to say $35.  I was only off 10% without even reading the details, and I am Chevy guy.

I have a 71 C10.  Had it 30 something years.  If I had a dime every time someone asked about buying it I would be rich.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cruising Craigslist and ran into this. Beautiful truck but it seems like a lot to me. Is this out of line?

https://images.craigslist.org/00O0O_fdPaM30V9wr_0cU08A_600x450.jpg
View Quote
Highboy prices have been retarted for over 20 years.

I own a 1968.
If sold today I could get more than what I paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't give away a long bed.  Those trucks are heavy tanks and really NEED a 460 to move them out of their own way.  If it still has a cat on it and most of its smog devices, it is probably a dog.

With 92K on the clock, that engine really needs to come apart.  It likely needs rings, bearings, and valve seals, if not a complete valve job.  When rebuilt, it will not make any more power unless you change the heads, cam, carb, and exhaust.  Ford made some pretty disappointing engines in that era.

Yes, it is overpriced for its features.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
3 pedals, 2 sticks, 3/4 ton that appears to be a rust free example.

Price is probably in line but I wouldn't buy it for half that. But that's me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
"The Ford 360 engine is a V8 engine created between 1968 and 1971 with two barrels had 215 horsepower at 4,400 rpm and a max torque of 327 at 2,400 rpm. The later model, which ran from 1972 until 1975, had 196 horsepower at 4,000 rpm and 327 max torque"

Gross vs net hp.  Nothing actually changed except for how HP was measured.  If 76 had additional smog requirements, these number get even more dismal.  Not having any luck finding 76 specific ratings.  Some truck boards say nothing changed in 76.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"The Ford 360 engine is a V8 engine created between 1968 and 1971 with two barrels had 215 horsepower at 4,400 rpm and a max torque of 327 at 2,400 rpm. The later model, which ran from 1972 until 1975, had 196 horsepower at 4,000 rpm and 327 max torque"
View Quote

All that and 8mpg.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had a '73 F100 Ranger XLT with a 360 FE big block with a 2 barrel and a C6 transmission. It dynoed ~150hp and ~250lb/ft at the wheels.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#19]
It’s not just full size trucks either. I bought my 90 Toyota pickup about 7 years ago for 5 grand, and first day I owned it was filling up the tank and a guy wanted to buy it. And it’s no trailer queen, but I know I haven’t been able to find another locally for less than a a few grand over what I paid. Older trucks in general are, to me, hot because folks don’t want to spend the sort of cash a new one costs just to haul lumber and mulch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For shits and giggles I tried finding a 1995 F350 as I had one and stupidly sold it.  

Good god, the cheapest was 11,000 and the most expensive was 25,000.
View Quote

I sold one of those maybe 6 years ago for 2 grand.

The kid drove it away without any brakes or reverse....but dammit it had a diesel in it. so it was cool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

All that and 8mpg.

View Quote
Yes.  Towing with my V6 Toyota SR5 was easier than with my 2WD F250.  You pretty much needed a kidney belt in the Ford, the ride was shit for such a heavy truck.

The front ends were horrible on the 2WD trucks, the split I-beams made the trucks into orbital sanders over 55mph.  I had one and changed every part on the front and it still shook.  A friend bought it and repeated, truck still shook.  Two owner later still cussed me over the shaking, but it was a Ford thing.  New wheels, tires, steering stabilizer...not one fucking thing makes those trucks run down the road any better.  It was a pretty well known thing.

I would hope the 4WD had a bit better front end, but the trucks still ride like shit.

I bought a 789 Chevy C-30.  It was a Cadillac by comparison.  Even newer body style Fords still rode like shit with the twin I beam.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And another question is how in the fuck is it physically possible to put 70k miles on a two year old truck?
Do you have people staged around the country just driving it from coast to coast in shifts or something with a tanker truck pacing it on the highway for refills?
View Quote

I'm doing about 25k a year in mine, and we just drive back and forth to jobs.

I can easily see 35k a year if you drive a lot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Negotiate with the dealer next town over for one of the twelve on their lot. Supply vs demand. And the number of people with enough money to buy regardless of what's wrong with it.

What are you going to do except pass?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Newsflash: Everything is expensive.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It’s not just full size trucks either. I bought my 90 Toyota pickup about 7 years ago for 5 grand, and first day I owned it was filling up the tank and a guy wanted to buy it. And it’s no trailer queen, but I know I haven’t been able to find another locally for less than a a few grand over what I paid. Older trucks in general are, to me, hot because folks don’t want to spend the sort of cash a new one costs just to haul lumber and mulch.
View Quote

I've had offers like that a handful of times on vehicles.

When I saw "Okay, show me the money", they don't.

I got a pretty clean service truck at auction several years ago for 6 grand. Like 5 people in town said "Oh man, I would buy that off you in a heartbeat"...So I said "You can have it today, 10 grand", which was about in line for those trucks at that time.

Nobody took me up on it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Sold for $800 6 years ago.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years ago my MiL was dying of cancer I put over 30k driving between AL and MD in a year between trips to see her and trips for work. It's definitely doable. That was around 780 miles one way which I would knock out in one day. Plus I had a ~60 mile commute between her house and the corporate facility I was working out of for awhile too so that's 120 miles each day.

I started embracing cars with automatic transmissions and automated driving features after that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I was in my auto parts yesterday. Hillbilly in a square body Chevy I hadn't noticed pulls out of the lot and takes off making a bunch of noise. Faded original paint, couple rust spots. Cheap mag wheels. 2WD I think.

Guy in the store says, "that's for sale, 45." I tell him it's probably worth that if it's not rusted to pieces. He looks at me and says
"$45,000?!"
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I did not put 70K miles in two years, I did manage 30K miles in a single year.

I drove back and forth from Virginia to Philly and Brooklyn on a weekly basis for over 8 calendar months.

I had two concurrent projects at two geographically different locations, and my Father had ALS, so I spent as much time as I could with him (every Saturday until he passed for that year).  Head out Sunday afternoon, return either Thursday PM or Friday AM.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was in my auto parts yesterday. Hillbilly in a square body Chevy I hadn't noticed pulls out of the lot and takes off making a bunch of noise. Faded original paint, couple rust spots. Cheap mag wheels. 2WD I think.

Guy in the store says, "that's for sale, 45." I tell him it's probably worth that if it's not rusted to pieces. He looks at me and says
"$45,000?!"
View Quote
People are idiots.  They think their unrestored rust bucket is worth what they see rolling through Barret Jackson.  What they don't realize is that most of those are actually being sold at a loss when you add up the parts and build cost.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
The rust is much worse than what you can actually see.  It always is.

Math this out at a shop rate of $150 per hour:

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been trying to figure out what to ask for my dad's old 93 Chevy. Has a 350 5 speed manual.  Body is clean and the interior is filthy with dog hair but not torn up. Needs some exhaust work. Has about 55k miles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
That's a classic car.

It's closer to show quality 1960s muscle car than work truck in more ways than one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmm, similar to a truck in my family. 4wd, 7.3L diesel and a 6MT.

Honestly, with a manual tranny it's worth more than with an auto. Transmission is stronger, more long lasting and the truck makes more power than the same thing with an auto by about 50ftlbs and 25HP when bone stock. You might be surprised what you can comfortably tow with "only" 550ftlbs of torque. No need for 1000+FTLBs. Probably shouldn't be doing 95MPH with 20k behind you anyways. Hell, my buddies 1931 Fagoel was banned from being operated on the road in California when it was stopped and had 10k on the truck and 10k on the trailer. It might have made 40HP with the motor that was in it at the time. That's also how he go it, it now has a Perkins straight 6 turbo diesel in it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Honestly, with a manual tranny it's worth more than with an auto. Transmission is stronger, more long lasting and the truck makes more power than the same thing with an auto by about 50ftlbs and 25HP when bone stock. You might be surprised what you can comfortably tow with "only" 550ftlbs of torque. No need for 1000+FTLBs. Probably shouldn't be doing 95MPH with 20k behind you anyways. Hell, my buddies 1931 Fagoel was banned from being operated on the road in California when it was stopped and had 10k on the truck and 10k on the trailer. It might have made 40HP with the motor that was in it at the time. That's also how he go it, it now has a Perkins straight 6 turbo diesel in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I had one. Fucking hated it. Sure it would tow fine, but it still sucked. I never liked towing with manuals anyway, they just held up a lot better so it was the better option. I put a single stage clutch in it and that changed it a lot....still wasn't fun though.

The 6.0 with an automatic blew it out of the water.

Now my gas job blows them both out of the water.....the future is now.

You won't catch this guy with a manual in a work truck ever again, the autos are way too good now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

All that and 8mpg.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that and 8mpg.

I had a '71 with the 360. I told people it got 18 mpg, 10 on the highway and 8 around town

That truck had an auxiliary fuel tank, the switch or valve to select the tanks was on the floorboard sort of under the driver seat. My first wife was driving it one day and ran out one tank and just left it on the side of the road and walked to her mothers house not knowing the other tank was full. She had taken me to work so she and her mother came and picked me up. I switched to the other tank and cranked it up while laughing at the silly thing women get mad at men about.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Bro, do you even BRODOZE?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Well it's a dealer ad soo

I see lots of stupid ads on mp and cl and they stay on there for quite a while.
Just because they ask doesn't mean they get.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#41]
It's cheaper than a new truck and you don't need a code reader to fix it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

A friend of mine just bought a 4x4 2017 gmc sierra with 200k miles for ...........21,000.

I about fell down when she told me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#43]
asking price > selling price

rookie buyers
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah they are. I just bought this last week, had to give $3,000 for it and it only came with one titled parts truck, with no engine or trans.
  Blue one was my Grandpa's tow truck, he earned his living with it for 20 years until he passed. Rode around in it with him quite a bit when I was little. Been sitting 20 years now, so it will only need a new everything before it moves again!

72 GMC K2500, factory A/C, power steering, auto, 350, Dana 60 rear. Can't wait to make it move under it's own power, body work someday down the road. Red one is a 70 GMC 2wd V8 truck.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There are a few reasons why:
Flow of new trucks into the market is still constrained.
Older 2000s trucks are falling out of the market (being retired to salvage) faster than expected due to poor quality while 90s and older trucks are still holding reliable.
People are shunning 100k price tags for new trucks
People don't want the complex maintenence tasks with new trucks
People don't want all the technology involved.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
If I was in the market for a truck I'd have no problem spending 20-25K for a clean old truck (67-72 GM).

It has the above advantages plus available with Manual trans, no A/C and none of the other modern electronics and accessories that come with new trucks.
There is an advantage to simplicity.
Its easy enough to keep an old vehicle running forever with easy cheap maintenance, and there is no repair that costs over $2500 including a new 350 crate engine.
Will all the computers and other tech even be available in 20-30 years for a modern truck?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah they are. I just bought this last week, had to give $3,000 for it and it only came with one titled parts truck, with no engine or trans.
  Blue one was my Grandpa's tow truck, he earned his living with it for 20 years until he passed. Rode around in it with him quite a bit when I was little. Been sitting 20 years now, so it will only need a new everything before it moves again!

72 GMC K2500, factory A/C, power steering, auto, 350, Dana 60 rear. Can't wait to make it move under it's own power, body work someday down the road. Red one is a 70 GMC 2wd V8 truck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395198/AA20DD23-C5FF-4869-8AC7-3F0F7E8ED8ED_jpe-2719766.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395198/E426EE7F-EC50-424A-8DB6-B1035D946F92_jpe-2719768.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395198/2D7DFEFB-9B0A-4A34-AD32-462CA279FCC4_jpe-2719770.JPG
View Quote

You keeping the hoist on it when you redo it? Looks pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You keeping the hoist on it when you redo it? Looks pretty cool.
View Quote

Thanks! I'm excited, even though it has 3 projects in front of it haha!

Plan is; go through brakes 100%, change all the fluids, new shocks, exhaust and belts and hoses. Hopefully engine doesn't need more than seals (it was rebuilt a year before it got shut off for the last time), probably put a whole new harness in it, then fire it up and drive it as is for a bit. I'll decide on details and bodywork after it's mechanically sound.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#48]
The Ford High Boys are now the classic Mustang status.  One of the best looking trucks Ford made.  

My 77 Bronco started out as a drivable vehicle but a lot of bondo over rust, I have put a lot of money into it

Now it looks like this....

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Paid $700

Needed half of exhaust, seat belts, paint ($1600 MAACO paint over the dents). Also shifter boot and some foam rubber for bench seat. No A/C. No radio. Leaks a bit of oil. But I park on gravel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought mine 12 years ago so......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top