BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yes, have one.

I have tried repeatedly to break it. Still working.

They make these watches for idiots like me.

Maybe you just suck at being an idiot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All this talk I decided to go ahead and order me one. I need a watch anyway.
This seems nice enough to wear with dress clothes and also my casual wear so it should be here some time next week

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/Dapss/watch.jpg

What model is that?  Very sharp, I like it.

AWGM100B-1ACR  Ordered off Amazon yesterday and already on the way
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, have one.

I have tried repeatedly to break it. Still working.

They make these watches for idiots like me.

Maybe you just suck at being an idiot.

Wow.  That is one heckuva compliment.

Link Posted: 7/21/2012 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ha-Ha!  I bought my 1st G-shock in 1983ish for $44.  I still have it.  It lasted though Junior High, High School, College and beyond.  I changed the battery for the 1st time  around 1999 -2000 and the alarm sounded "off".  Talked to Casio around 2003 and they asked for the serial #.  They can back and said that it was one of the first yr watches and that one offer was for $800.  I have since replaced the battery again (come to find out the last time the battery was replaced, the tech didn't put the battery in right and that is why the alarm sounded off).  The only problem with the watch is that the rubber housing keeps cracking and falling apart.  Need to order another housing for it.  Btw, I did get a backup GW-5600J.  Nice G-Shock but it ain't a 5000.  Anyone know where I can get a replacement Bezel???

skink
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I went through two Timex watches in Afghanistan in 2002, even though they were cheap ones.........bought a G shock from mwr store on Kandahar base and it lasted me about 8 years, including a tour in Iraq.  I just replaced it last year with another G shock.  I love em!
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Order mine Friday and got it today. If I had looked at the tracking I could have gone to the Post Office and picked it up yesterday. It had arrived after the carrier had left out.
It looks nice and isn't huge on my skinny wrist. I actually thought it was going to be bigger than it is. Still learning the functions.

After I get off this evening. I'm going to try and do a manual sync to the automic clock.  In this building is a no go and set it in the window to charge the batter or under my desk light that's suppose to be one of those like sun light lamps.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Order mine Friday and got it today. If I had looked at the tracking I could have gone to the Post Office and picked it up yesterday. It had arrived after the carrier had left out.
It looks nice and isn't huge on my skinny wrist. I actually thought it was going to be bigger than it is. Still learning the functions.

After I get off this evening. I'm going to try and do a manual sync to the automic clock.  In this building is a no go and set it in the window to charge the batter or under my desk light that's suppose to be one of those like sun light lamps.

Hard to do a sync in the daytime.  Those radio signals are not as good when the sun is up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a gw-5600 (i think)

anyway, it's the solar powered (not atomic) variation of the classic G-shock. I love the thing, but sometimes the display fails to turn on again when I bring it out of the dark. I think there is an issue with the rechargeable battery. The display will simply shut off, and cannot be turned back on, until about ten minutes go by and the display just decides to restart.

I want to fix this problem, as I really, REALLY hate the thought of having a dysfunctional watch when  I need it most.

I loved my standard battery powered dw-5600, but didn't like the idea of having to replace a battery every two years. I guess it's ironic that the new one takes a shit.

Now wearing a seiko 5 automatic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]
The solar powered ones charge more quickly in the light of the sun than they do in basement lighting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have three G-Shocks and love them all.  I NEVER wear my Rolex or Tag...EVER...G-Shock only for me.

ETA, I don't intentionally abuse them, but I do not baby them and never give it a second thought while wearing one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I wear a DW6900 daily

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The solar powered ones charge more quickly in the light of the sun than they do in basement lighting.

Bullshit. They charge twice as fast by the light of a CoD-lit TV.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]
G-SHOCK is a great watch, but I feel the Pathfinder is better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#15]
G-shock Mudman over here too.
It's with stood 4 years of a firefighter wearing it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C1Y9kWAEQY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
G-Shock Mudman test
It's kinda like the Glock of the watch world, only not hideous.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to do a sync in the daytime.  Those radio signals are not as good when the sun is up.

Yeah I read that. I went out to lunch and got in the car and tried to do a manual sync and it went between L2&L3 and didn't fail as soon as it did when I tried doing it in the building by a window. It probably would have sync'd if I had waited but I was hungry dern it so I canceled it. I'll let it sit when I get home:)

ETA: I agree with the reviews on this watch about the light. It's pretty useless, the hour/min hand glows if it's been exposed to light so if you know how to tell time you can but as far as looking at the digital read out. Forget about it.

Still overall happy with it

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No basement here so no worries but I guess you speak from experience
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I read that. I went out to lunch and got in the car and tried to do a manual sync and it went between L2&L3 and didn't fail as soon as it did when I tried doing it in the building by a window. It probably would have sync'd if I had waited but I was hungry dern it so I canceled it. I'll let it sit when I get home:)

It probably won't work in a car. RTFM.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Do you guys ever wear one to the gym?

I wear a watch 100% of the time.  Many days, it's the G-Shock GW2500.  Other times it's the Yes Zulu.

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great watches. I wear this atomic/solar one almost daily:  link

I have the same watch and it is great - rugged, dependable. I use it for running, biking, hiking and everyday wear. Amazon had it in sale when I bought mine. I think I paid $89 for it, which makes it one if the best values I've ever got.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't have one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wear a watch 100% of the time.  Many days, it's the G-Shock GW2500.  Other times it's the Yes Zulu.

http://watchshock.com/photo/Casio/G-Shock/GW-2xxx/GW-2500-1A/GW-2500-1A.jpg

You assholes need to stop posting this watch. I really miss mine, but refuse to shell out the big $$$ they now command. I think I paid under $200 at Sears a year or so ago. Now, they're like $400.00. The GW-2500 is, IMO, the best looking G Shock ever released. Perfect size and just plain sexy.

The only saving grace on the GW-3500 is the tough movement. I had to re-align the hands on my 2500 a couple of times (asy to do, in the manual). Not sure what cause it, but it went all caterwonky. Aliens?
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It probably won't work in a car. RTFM.

I did RTFM, well for the most part. I was sitting in the car, door open etc etc. It says it could take 6min or even longer to sync. If I had sat there for my entire lunch I think it would have sync'd but Chik Fila was calling my name and I wasn't going to sit still long enough to see if it would sync . I was saying when I tried it in the office by the window. It didn't take over a minute before it went to ERR, sitting in the car it went L3 and would blip L2 and I sat there for like 3 or 4 minutes so I think it would have eventually sync'd. It's no big deal, it'll get sync'd tonite
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You assholes need to stop posting this watch. I really miss mine, but refuse to shell out the big $$$ they now command. I think I paid under $200 at Sears a year or so ago. Now, they're like $400.00. The GW-2500 is, IMO, the best looking G Shock ever released. Perfect size and just plain sexy.

The only saving grace on the GW-3500 is the tough movement. I had to re-align the hands on my 2500 a couple of times (asy to do, in the manual). Not sure what cause it, but it went all caterwonky. Aliens?

:-) I was just about to ask what model was this watch and how much...see you're saying $400. Not gonna happen

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I have owned a tough solar model for several years.  It is more useful than my Rolex Sea Dweller, as it is more functional, cheaper (got it from Costco for $35) and I can go every where w/ it (including some third world countries).  Sometimes it also serves as a chewing toy for my puppies- and is still working.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  I picked up mine last winter on e-bay for $90.

Maybe I should go back to wearing my GW1500 and not scuff up the collectors item.

I wear it in the Ocean, or boating/swimming since it has the Countycomm band on it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my Casio
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Shit.  they are.

Bought one from the PX, it's been on the fritz three times in the first year.  Maybe PX sells junk?  My $30.00 timex has oulasted it by three years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G300-2AV-G-Shock-Ana-Digi-Resistant/dp/B000FPVUIG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have this one.  I have to set the analog time separately from the digital time.  Plus it only moves the minute arm forward, but not backwards.  Pretty lame.  PITA when I'm traveling into different time zones.  Are all analog/digital G-Shocks like this?  I like the looks of the G-shocks but I want one where i set the digital time and it'll also set the analog arms.  Maybe I should get a solar atomic model.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Too large of a profile for me. I had the first G-shock and try one on from time to time. They need to be built so rugged because they are so damn big they smash into everything. They do take a beating as advertised but not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#31]
The model I have isn't big at all on my wrist and I have small wrist. I was actually surprised. It's not that much bigger than a standard watch
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I've owned several and like them but the battery life isnt very good. max of two years for mine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#33]
It's all that I've used for the last ten years or so.  I break trash on a regular basis, it's gorilla tested and approved.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've owned several and like them but the battery life isnt very good. max of two years for mine.

Not the norm.  I get at least 5 years, and usually more.  The one pictured above in this thread is on its second battery and going on at least ten years of hard service.

Not that service matters, unless you're constantly changing things on the display.  Mine is a watch.  I look at when I want to know what time it is.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks to this thread I went out and bought a new G-shock! I will post picks tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My favorite watch. The watch band usually give out before the watch ever dies.

this.
my next one will have the altimeter and all that cool shit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Good digital watch. Overrated/ overpriced beyond that
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn good watch.

My Solar Atomic Casio G-Shock has been great.  Suunto though is the best out there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a G shock , but I love my pathfinder
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#40]
They remind me of the big analog nerdy looking watches from the 80's . I think they're fugly but if you actually need a watch that'll last thru most anything then it's a nice watch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought this one today. It is my first G-Shock I have ever had. I already had 2 compliments on it.

(not my picture, but same watch)

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top