Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2020 12:26:05 AM EDT
I have a few buddies who need to burn some uniform allowance and are asking me about gear and gadgets. Everything I mention they already have.

Need help. Best gear and gadgets for patrol officers
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#1]
A good pair of waterproof boots (Gortex or eq). Seriously, working in the rain sux, sux worse with soaked feet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a pistol, cuffs, radio, flashlight, and mags.....  In my almost 20 years never needed anything more
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a cop, but I have talked to a good bit of officers. I would say quality boots, socks, gloves.

Depending on department: medical stuff like TQs, and so on.

Write in rain note pads are also good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps think about things that are lost a lot.  Flashlights and pens in particular.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Pocket sized constitution.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you a high speed officer with a plate carrier?

Or old and busted belt?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing like pissing away tax dollars in the militarization of police forces.  Gots to make sure they got that Gucci gear for some no knock red flag raids.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I good rain coat, the department supplies us with crappy rubber ponchos.

When working in a storm being warm and dry is amazing!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#9]
If they don't have them, external armor carriers. I spent a couple hundred bucks for an external carrier and new pouches. It was well worth the money.

Safariland Bothell armor carrier was the one I went with. Zero Nine holsters for kydex pouches. World of difference.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quality gear bag?
Good knife
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mcbowflex:
Nothing like pissing away tax dollars in the militarization of police forces.  Gots to make sure they got that Gucci gear for some no knock red flag raids.
View Quote

I too am anti cargo-pantification of america's police forces
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
A Skittles dispenser can defuse a lot of situations.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing like pissing away tax dollars in the militarization of police forces.  Gots to make sure they got that Gucci gear for some no knock red flag raids.
View Quote

All day long ...
The chicks dig it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Lol

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:04:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Zero9 triple magazine holder is the tits, all their stuff is good. Or a safe life belt. I love this thing. A zak tools ID holder is also nice so you don’t forget the ID on the dash and can leave your hands free.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By gree2056:
I good rain coat, the department supplies us with crappy rubber ponchos. 

When working in a storm being warm and dry is amazing!
View Quote

Make it hi viz yellow/reflective, so they don't get run over on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Hot weather:
Moisture-wicking under shirts and underwear
Lightweight breathable boots
Light cushion merino wool socks
Breathable rain jacket

Cold weather:
Wool beanie cap
Merino wool neck gator
Merino wool base layer top and bottom
Waterproof insulated shell with patches
Thick merino wool socks
Waterproof boots
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MNSwede:

I too am anti cargo-pantification of america's police forces
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agreed. We need to adopt the euro model for policing. Meaning, take guns away from police. Make them use their kind words to de-escilate situations.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SpudCrushr:

Agreed. We need to adopt the euro model for policing. Meaning, take guns away from police. Make them use their kind words to de-escilate situations.
View All Quotes

Agreed. We need to adopt the euro model for policing. Meaning, take guns away from police. Make them use their kind words to de-escilate situations.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Make it hi viz yellow/reflective, so they don't get run over on the side of the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I good rain coat, the department supplies us with crappy rubber ponchos.

When working in a storm being warm and dry is amazing!

Holy fucking shit this!  Hi viz yellow all the things.  Almost been killed a few times in traffic since promoting back to patrol from CID.  Of course in my near death experiences, I dont think it would have made a difference as they had their heads so far up their asses they couldn't see the blue lights much less the reflective vested crunchy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
Zero9 triple magazine holder is the tits, all their stuff is good. Or a safe life belt. I love this thing. A zak tools ID holder is also nice so you don’t forget the ID on the dash and can leave your hands free.
View Quote

This ^ ...I couldnt agree more about zero9 hardware although I use the double magazine holder due to space on my outer carrier. If you run body cams the zero9 body cam holders are great as they wont fly off your vest from impacts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#25]
New duty pistol.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Cargo pants, the more pockets the better. Plate carrier with quality multicurve ceramic plates.
Ballistic helmet.
Scary supressed AR with optics and light.
Scary red dot sighted pistol with light in low ride holster to accommodate hard armor.
Wear as often as possible to scare basement dwellers.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#27]

All right....

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Depends on part of the country, time of year and what the agency will allow
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Gripy:
Pocket sized constitution.
View Quote

There’s an app for that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:24:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Danner Acadias if he works the road alot, especially any interstates.

Good reflective rain gears like others have mentioned.  

I have a take home patrol car and have my own harbor freight 1.5 ton floor jack that has come in handy multiple times.  This one is sort of subjective.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:30:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Seriously, extra mags, trauma kit, extra cuffs, Dr. Scholls insoles, Zebra F301 pens, window cup/bottle holder and a bottle of Febreeze.  Everything else is extra.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:33:36 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:36:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Tax tailor or blauer armor skin suspenders.
Plate set.

Bluetooth Mike.
Danner or thoroughgood boots.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#35]
How was this not the first post?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:38:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Depending on what the agency provides, I would look into med gear and a kit/bag to carry it   I keep a TQ on my duty belts and chest seals in my vest trauma plate pocket   I also have a few med kits stashed around the vehicle.

I was involved in an active shooter situation last year and having med gear is a good thing to have.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:38:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Trauma kit, a good belt, nice boots.

In my go bag I keep extra mags for my g17, my rifle, a couple chest seals, Soft TW’s, gauze etc. also a water bottle and a protein bar and a can of dip. Has been extremely useful on long perimeters. Fun fact, when the Sgt. Says the bureau will be our with a warrant “shortly,” that is a lie.

I wear an area gear belt. Helped take some good weight off my hips. Also, if he has an ALS safariland holster, the nub mod is the bomb.  

For patrol, I rotate between a pair of goretex lined Solomans, a goretex pair of Lowas, and a lightweight pair of Viktos boots.

There’s so much bullshit with the job, that the little thing an are big IMO
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Can't have enough flashlights, Hatch Defender II gloves, kevlar lined and hard knuckle
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:07:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Streamlight HL-5X flashlight (3500 lumens!)

Good rechargeable or 123 battery 2 cell light as a spare.  Lots of options.

TLR-1 HL pistol light (or a Surefire)

Backup gun

Seattle Sombrero from Columbia if it rains (and they allow it)

Good knife- Spyderco’s hold up well, but a good automatic is real nice as well.  

Good IFAK with TQ

Good handcuffs if not supplied- S&W model 100 are the best hinged cuffs out there- the go bigger and smaller so the fit more people correctly.

Safety glasses

Helmet

Suspenders for the belt

You get the idea.  Patrol gear is worth spending the money for good stuff, but some of it like boots/gloves you just gotta try out a few to find something that works for you.  I know some folks who get by with junk equipment but I could never do it.  I don’t like changing gear often like some people seem to do either, so I get decent gear the first time when it comes to lights and similar.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Streamlight HL-5X flashlight (3500 lumens!)

Good rechargeable or 123 battery 2 cell light as a spare.  Lots of options.

TLR-1 HL pistol light (or a Surefire)

Backup gun

Seattle Sombrero from Columbia if it rains (and they allow it)

Good knife- Spyderco’s hold up well, but a good automatic is real nice as well.  

Good IFAK with TQ

Good handcuffs if not supplied- S&W model 100 are the best hinged cuffs out there- the go bigger and smaller so the fit more people correctly.

Safety glasses

Helmet

Suspenders for the belt

You get the idea.  Patrol gear is worth spending the money for good stuff, but some of it like boots/gloves you just gotta try out a few to find something that works for you.  I know some folks who get by with junk equipment but I could never do it.  I don’t like changing gear often like some people seem to do either, so I get decent gear the first time when it comes to lights and similar.  
View Quote

Model 1.

The 100’s are the original chain cuffs.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:33:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Untraceable throw-down Gun?  Just kidding. Rain gear or a second set of boots. Rotating your foot ware is a good plan  for happy feet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nothing like pissing away tax dollars in the militarization of police forces.  Gots to make sure they got that Gucci gear for some no knock red flag raids.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:51:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Safe Life Defense makes the best duty belt I ever used it was honestly one of the best purchases I ever made. classeightresearch.com has a really cool ankle rig that carries a full trauma shooting kit with a tourniquet, gauze, gloves, shears etc... nice piece of kit in case you our your partner get tagged. Surefire X300A-U with a DG pressure switch for the primary duty weapon is really good. Fenix makes some great reasonably prices rechargeable lights. HSG pouches for gear are all some that I didn't regret spending the money on when I was a cop.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

That's odd
We already do that in the vast majority of interactions with the public
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:

Yes, the Germans especially are known for their understanding and compassion for those who are undergoing stress and acting out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:

Yes, the Germans especially are known for their understanding and compassion for those who are undergoing stress and acting out.

Nothing says hor auf zu widerstehen quite like these...

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Fresh .38 wad cutter for their left breast pocket.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Any light that clips onto your shoulder. Makes for easier searches or jotting down info. Night shift guys will understand. I've known day shift guys who never even carried a flashlight... guess they'll never have to go in a dark building or basement during the day!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top