User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple of months ago I had a Karen in front of me in line play the I want to speak to the manager. I interrupted her and told her the manager was Ray Charleston and I had his cell number and said he was most likely not in the office.

The I turned to the cashier and said I had forgotten an item and would be right back

I gave Karen MY cell number and took off. Of course she called it and from maybe 50 feet away I answered it on the 3rd ring.

"Ray Charleston," I answered.

After she was done with her spiel I asked her to turn her head to the left which she did.

"Good. Now we have your face on our facial recognition software. You are at register 4 and we have recorded the entire conversation you had with the cashier, who happens to be my aunt by the way. Pay for your stuff and leave. You have 5 minutes. If the  software picks your face up again I will have you arrested for trespassing."

She looked shocked, paid and fled like the devil was chasing her.

When I got back to the register the cashier looked at me and said, "The manager's name isn't Ray Charleston."

She rang up my stuff and when I paid her she looked at me wide eyed and said, "That was your cell phone you gave her, wasn't it?"

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In WY?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
12 years in retail and the worst of the American consumer was the Middle aged white female.

In WY?

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote

Shocking.

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Man, couldnt they pick another name other than Karen?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Meh.  I believe the kid.   Theses places don't have the staff to inventory everything and that's because corporate keeps payroll on a very tight leash.  The product could literally be anywhere in the store other than the correct place on the shelf.   Besides, nobody anywhere has disinfecting wipes and won't for quite some time unless you get lucky.
View Quote

The discussion you related between them didn't include anything about them showing the products she wanted being in inventory. You only wrote that the store lied about the video game console being available.

But I tend to believe you in that this particular Target at least has issues with inventory control in general. I would simply stay away from such a store. Last time I was in US, I don't think I went to a Target and certainly didn't do so by going after a particular product based on their advertising. But I will take a note of this.

OTOH here my local supermarket just sent an email to me today withdrawing their personalized discounts for items because they couldn't guarantee that those items would still be in stock due to inventory disruption. That's how a business owner who values his customers behaves. Again, this is how the market economy solves this problem. Only idiots who don't plan ahead will continue to frequent stores that advertise non-existing product. Those who understand the online real time instant economy will make sure their inventory control is considered one of their most valuable assets and treats it properly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My second least favorite customer, the guy who wanted to tell me how to fix an issue that happened three levels over my head and 4 states away....

Yes a simple phone call is all it would take to fix an AS-400, website interaction issue, why didn't anyone ever think of that...
View Quote

So because your inventory control is broken, it's still OK to keep a website showing false data up? For this situation, there is again the wrong and right way to do it from the perspective of customer relations. And guess what, many stores are able to figure out the simple solution. You will take the online inventory offline to fix it. Or like one store that just put up a huge banner stating that their inventory data is currently out of date, call or email store to confirm availability.

In general demand and/or supply disrution with many categories of products is an anomaly that every grocery store or any other kind of consumer vendor should be prepared for and planned for. The correct response is to call in more staff to deal with the extra work in inventory. The same when you need to call extra hands just to man the registers. That extra staff needs to look for and relocate misplaced items and ensure that your inventory data is up to date, so you can then order the correct stuff to be delivered.

This isn't rocket surgery. Some companies and stores are better at this and those that are barely functional during normal times will fall on their face when something unusual happens.

I find it funny that you are all laughing at these people panic buying stuff while sitting on your TP thrones and admiring your whiskey collections, but when a business owner behaves like a panic buying moron trying to learn how to run business in the middle of a panic, you somehow have all the worlds sympathy for their failures.

I guess that's the Yin and Yang of GD, some idiots just are our favorites and others are “Karens”.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It will ruin your Christmas spirit and possibly Halloween and Thanksgiving for decades if you work retail during the holidays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This wholeheartedly why I believe a person should work retail for at least 6mo to a year at some point in their life.
It will ruin your Christmas spirit and possibly Halloween and Thanksgiving for decades if you work retail during the holidays.

Yup, I can vouch for that. Bass Pro Shops ruined Christmas and Thanksgiving for me, that was well over a decade ago.

We had some regular ‘customer’ chick that was such a twat to us we would hide in the stockroom until she left if we saw her coming. Woe be unto the fool that returned from the breakroom by walking on the sales floor and discovered her, the smart guys
returned through the stockroom. She was a Karen prototype...
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My kids bugged us to go to Target because their website said they had a nintendo switch in stock.   Seeing as how we are going to kill them if we don't find something for them to do we figured we would buy it.    
View Quote

I keep hearing this a lot.  Know what happened when I was a kid and "had nothing to do"?  

Chores.

Blows my mind how people cater to their children nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like to say extremely hilarious and inappropriate things, because what the hell.

In the OP's story a perfect intervention would be to politely interject and tell the young man "Son, I hope you really understand this lady needs Clorox wipes. Regular douche products are just woefully insufficient for her needs."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a customer.. this is also the perfect time to assert your dominance on Karen with some snarky humorous remark or comment.. or a simple "I was here earlier, they did have some, but it was gone in minutes"  Save the kid.. he will become your personal retail servant for that trip.

I like to say extremely hilarious and inappropriate things, because what the hell.

In the OP's story a perfect intervention would be to politely interject and tell the young man "Son, I hope you really understand this lady needs Clorox wipes. Regular douche products are just woefully insufficient for her needs."

I am more of a "finally think of the perfect answer at 3am that night" kind of guy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The discussion you related between them didn't include anything about them showing the products she wanted being in inventory. You only wrote that the store lied about the video game console being available.

But I tend to believe you in that this particular Target at least has issues with inventory control in general. I would simply stay away from such a store. Last time I was in US, I don't think I went to a Target and certainly didn't do so by going after a particular product based on their advertising. But I will take a note of this.

OTOH here my local supermarket just sent an email to me today withdrawing their personalized discounts for items because they couldn't guarantee that those items would still be in stock due to inventory disruption. That's how a business owner who values his customers behaves. Again, this is how the market economy solves this problem. Only idiots who don't plan ahead will continue to frequent stores that advertise non-existing product. Those who understand the online real time instant economy will make sure their inventory control is considered one of their most valuable assets and treats it properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh.  I believe the kid.   Theses places don't have the staff to inventory everything and that's because corporate keeps payroll on a very tight leash.  The product could literally be anywhere in the store other than the correct place on the shelf.   Besides, nobody anywhere has disinfecting wipes and won't for quite some time unless you get lucky.

Wanna know how I know you have never worked retail?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So because your inventory control is broken, it's still OK to keep a website showing false data up? For this situation, there is again the wrong and right way to do it from the perspective of customer relations. And guess what, many stores are able to figure out the simple solution. You will take the online inventory offline to fix it. Or like one store that just put up a huge banner stating that their inventory data is currently out of date, call or email store to confirm availability.

In general demand and/or supply disrution with many categories of products is an anomaly that every grocery store or any other kind of consumer vendor should be prepared for and planned for. The correct response is to call in more staff to deal with the extra work in inventory. The same when you need to call extra hands just to man the registers. That extra staff needs to look for and relocate misplaced items and ensure that your inventory data is up to date, so you can then order the correct stuff to be delivered.

This isn't rocket surgery. Some companies and stores are better at this and those that are barely functional during normal times will fall on their face when something unusual happens.

I find it funny that you are all laughing at these people panic buying stuff while sitting on your TP thrones and admiring your whiskey collections, but when a business owner behaves like a panic buying moron trying to learn how to run business in the middle of a panic, you somehow have all the worlds sympathy for their failures.

I guess that's the Yin and Yang of GD, some idiots just are our favorites and others are “Karens”.
View Quote

All assuming things went the way Karen said they did.  If it said "limited quantities available, check store for stock" like it did for the nintendo, to Karen it means "the manager is keeping some in his office for me".  

You never answered my question: is your wife's name Karen by any chance?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I keep hearing this a lot.  Know what happened when I was a kid and "had nothing to do"?  

Chores.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My kids bugged us to go to Target because their website said they had a nintendo switch in stock.   Seeing as how we are going to kill them if we don't find something for them to do we figured we would buy it.    

Chores.

Last summer, every time I told my son the lawn needed mowing it turned into a drawn out session of foot dragging, resistance, delays and finally coercion to get it done.  Yesterday I mentioned to my son that the lawn needs mowing and he said  "Yeah, I was just thinking I need to do it" and he went and did it.  

The kid is already a straight A, NHS, 99th percentile student.  He has not uttered a word of complaint about all the restrictions so far.  And now he worries about mowing the lawn without being asked.  He deserves a toy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#14]
"Karenoflage"

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Last summer, every time I told my son the lawn needed mowing it turned into a drawn out session of foot dragging, resistance, delays and finally coercion to get it done.  Yesterday I mentioned to my son that the lawn needs mowing and he said  "Yeah, I was just thinking I need to do it" and he went and did it.  

The kid is already a straight A, NHS, 99th percentile student.  He has not uttered a word of complaint about all the restrictions so far.  And now he worries about mowing the lawn without being asked.  He deserves a toy.
View Quote

Yes he does!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#16]
When my daughter was in high school she worked as a cashier at a local grocery store.

She started off wide-eyed, innocent, and genuinely wanted to do the best job she could.

After two years of dealing with Karen her wide-eyed innocence was GONE.

Imagine Extorris, but as a teenage girl.

My little girl is now the embodiment of generation "zyklon".

Karen is the exorcist when it comes to removing the humanity of workers in retail.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I see you're in Texas, and judging by that observation I'm guessing you may have already met my sister in law.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here.

Karen's are going to have a rough go of it. Especially the single, bitter and angry ones.

I see you're in Texas, and judging by that observation I'm guessing you may have already met my sister in law.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did you check if that Target also lied about having disinfecting wipes too?

I can kind of excuse a store with online inventory to be out of some regular demand product where their inventory shows one or two items remaining while they are actually out (because they were stolen and not inventoried since). Proper online vendors with brick and mortar stores even alert dumb shoppers for this risk by using some visual warning (such as yellow color etc.) or alternatively replace under 5 counts with a text such as "contact store to confirm availability".

But this bullshit that they are listing panic buy items as being available and then fail to update their website regularly for actual availability of actual product, for that they deserve every irate customer tearing them a new one every time its happens. I wouldn't cry for someone even torching the whole place for that.

Sure the cashier probably doesn't manage the website, but I bet the manager could call someone and get that shit straightened out right away, if they really cared about customer service and not having people drive around and risk infection to chase phantom product listings. And this applies to any disruptions in demand or supply. If you have online inventory, keep it up to date or take it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My kids bugged us to go to Target because their website said they had a nintendo switch in stock.   Seeing as how we are going to kill them if we don't find something for them to do we figured we would buy it.    We get there and the entire section is cleaned out.  No nintendo, xbox, ps4, nothing.

"Excuse me, do you have any clorox disinfecting wipes?"  The poor kid she pinioned gives the expected answer:
"No, I'm sorry we are out".   Nice polite kid.  Karen speaks again, her voice more strident, more demanding this time.

I can kind of excuse a store with online inventory to be out of some regular demand product where their inventory shows one or two items remaining while they are actually out (because they were stolen and not inventoried since). Proper online vendors with brick and mortar stores even alert dumb shoppers for this risk by using some visual warning (such as yellow color etc.) or alternatively replace under 5 counts with a text such as "contact store to confirm availability".

But this bullshit that they are listing panic buy items as being available and then fail to update their website regularly for actual availability of actual product, for that they deserve every irate customer tearing them a new one every time its happens. I wouldn't cry for someone even torching the whole place for that.

Sure the cashier probably doesn't manage the website, but I bet the manager could call someone and get that shit straightened out right away, if they really cared about customer service and not having people drive around and risk infection to chase phantom product listings. And this applies to any disruptions in demand or supply. If you have online inventory, keep it up to date or take it down.
Thanks for your input Karen.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Had one in line in front of me at Whataburger yesterday.  Made the poor girl taking orders repeat everything she said after she said it.

Karen: "I'd like a #1"

after a few moments of silence

Employee: "okay a number 1, would you like that all the way?"

Karen: "I'd like cheese on that. Please repeat that back to me"

Employee: "Okay a number 1 with cheese anything else?"

Karen: "On that same number one, cut the onions. Please repeat that back to me"

And so it went as she ordered for her entire family.  Yes she had the haircut.

I have more Karen encounters than I'd like to since in my previous job I worked with a whole staff of them. Once was actually named Karen.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Man, couldnt they pick another name other than Karen?  
View Quote
Hell, my name's Jody, how do you think I feel?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#23]
As a kid I would have done my best to make her completely lose her shit. There are far too many Karens in this world, and I'd bet the percentage is higher in the USA than any other country. That says something about the people here and it's not good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OK Karen.

Those disinfecting wipes, being a high demand item could be in other shopper's carts. The system wont be updated until they go through the check out line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK Karen.

Those disinfecting wipes, being a high demand item could be in other shopper's carts. The system wont be updated until they go through the check out line.
Probably more likely, they left the store stuffed inside some thief's jacket, which skews the store's online inventory.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Had one in line in front of me at Whataburger yesterday.  Made the poor girl taking orders repeat everything she said after she said it.

I have more Karen encounters than I'd like to since in my previous job I worked with a whole staff of them. Once was actually named Karen.
View Quote

We were in a restaurant once at a table next to a big family of people who were clearly very wealthy WASPs.  One of the women was going so Karen on the waiter here elderly mom stepped in and told her to tone it down.   I should have sent the old girl a drink.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This wholeheartedly why I believe a person should work retail for at least 6mo to a year at some point in their life.
View Quote

i read all of the stuff you post because of this shit right here
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Should have rolled up to the order point and started with "I'd like you to shit in the lady in front of me's order bag, please repeat that back to me!"
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I guess that's the Yin and Yang of GD, some idiots just are our favorites and others are "Karens".
View Quote

I bet you're a blast at parties.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top