Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
When are they dusting off the Death Fridge?

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Question for the military historians here in this esteemed forum

Was the T62 the pressure cooker that explodes from it's own magazine/explosive shells when it's hit and blows it's own turret like a Jack-in-The-Box?

I like watching them cook off Boom!Boom!Boom!Boom!Boom!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Pretty sure we've seen pictures of Maxims deployed in/by Ukraine months ago.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
both sides have been using Maxims since before the open conflict, and will continue to use them long after the conflict ends.

But I want to see video of an SU-100 in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In WW2, the Soviets we're losing equipment and men at huge rates.  The US kept them from falling apart by supplying them with enormous amounts of equipment and basic supplies.

In Ukraine, the US is not supplying the Russians. The US is supplying the Ukraine.

I don't know why the Russians think they can fight much smaller nations right next to them without US help.
View Quote

didn't FJB say he wouldn't do anything if russia only did a limited incursion into Ukraine, kind of like how bush 41 said the same thing about kuwait?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And to think our government convinced us for decades that the Soviets were such a threat and we bought it all.
View Quote

ah yeah but the chinese totally are bro, trust us
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Russia is gonna be in a world of hurt if China decides to make a move to reclaim what they think is theirs in the East.

Kind of fortuitous that Chinese-owned politicians in the West have backed Ukraine and bled out Russia, materially.

TC
View Quote

That’s one way of looking at at it and would take a Clancy book path, but the Russians can and will use nukes if their soil is attacked, it is part of their doctrine. If Russia didn’t have nukes they would have been done by now; NATO would have laid waste to the forces in UKR and China would have probably invaded eastern Russia.

Hey, maybe Russia will be invited to join NATO when this is all over
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#8]
A lot of people are stuck on what type of tank and what type of ATGM.

It's the 3C, intelligence and logistics that is winning this.

Knowing is half the battle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In another 6 months when those run out they be reactivating T34's and IS2's
View Quote

BT-7s and T-26s next!
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And to think our government convinced us for decades that the Soviets were such a threat and we bought it all.
View Quote

In the 60s we'd have been rolled over. The only thing stopping Russia was the threat of nukes. The M60 was a hell of a tank but it wasn't the end all be all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You know you are pretty low on the Invasion Totem Pole when you get assigned a "Tuk-Tuk" motorized tricyce with a old WWI vintage Maxim in the back...

Russia...   STRONK!!!!  

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

didn't FJB say he wouldn't do anything if russia only did a limited incursion into Ukraine, kind of like how bush 41 said the same thing about kuwait?
View Quote

Bush 41 didn't say it.  It was U.S. Ambassador April Glaspie who told Saddam, ‘[W]e have no opinion on the Arab-Arab conflicts, like your border disagreement with Kuwait.’ The U.S. state department had earlier told Saddam that Washington had ‘no special defense or security commitments to Kuwait.’  

Did you notice that I did not capitalize state department?  That was on purpose.  I had to work with those incompetent, self-serving assholes in Iraq.  I found them to be shallow, vacuous, weak, foolish, pompous, and generally unfit for anything more advanced than pushing a broom.  Even then I would expect to need a Private to follow behind them if I expected anything to be swept properly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Next month they are going to want all their 98K captures, Mosins and Nagant revolvers back.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The T-62 only has 242mm of armor on its front turret facing.

The HEAT warhead on an AT-4 will penetrate 450mm.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Now I want to see videos of T-62s being smoked by AT-4s.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm no tank expert, but aren't these older models even more fuel inefficient than current models? I mean, i know a tank isn't a mpg role model, but Russia can barely maintain its own supply chain, let alone maintain what is probably an even more fuel hungry and maintenance intensive model. Not that they have a choice, but this is rapidly devolving into zero sum for them-- The more armor they lose, the more antiques they deploy resulting in less up-time for the armor, which likely results in more amore lost...

I mean, I knew Russian propaganda was full of bullshit, but I never imagined them to be this bad.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was taught by an Air Force pilot, on either end it's a metric shit ton or an RCH, those are the extreme measures on each end.

Recent picture of UVZ's factory floor.  Even getting the SU-122's ready for use.  This stuff is nuts.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/1AF99C3F-37A9-46EC-B9B0-9ADF1A470724_jpe-2562381.JPG
View Quote
Anybody getting into that antique shit is going to die horribly. You'd have to be suicidal to not be a Russian draft dodger.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#17]
To be fair at least they have a second line MBT
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm no tank expert, but aren't these older models even more fuel inefficient than current models? I mean, i know a tank isn't a mpg role model, but Russia can barely maintain its own supply chain, let alone maintain what is probably an even more fuel hungry and maintenance intensive model. Not that they have a choice, but this is rapidly devolving into zero sum for them-- The more armor they lose, the more antiques they deploy resulting in less up-time for the armor, which likely results in more amore lost...

I mean, I knew Russian propaganda was full of bullshit, but I never imagined them to be this bad.
View Quote
I have to wonder if they're retrofitting modern engines and transmissions into them. Many T-34s were built like dogshit. Build quality improved as time went on, but for a while the soviets just cared about getting them to the front lines, even if they were barely functional. Whether it's late or early war production though, would you really trust mechanical components around 80 year old, especially when they might have already had significant wear on them when they were put into storage?

It's doesn't matter because in 2022 they're only useful as cremation coffins anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You know you are pretty low on the Invasion Totem Pole when you get assigned a "Tuk-Tuk" motorized tricyce with a old WWI vintage Maxim in the back...

https://preview.redd.it/f8ce32qtjzo81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=c8ceb532748cd799f76f88bb1a7dfa25dcb362d0

Russia...   STRONK!!!!  

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Holy fuck, I was just joking
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anybody getting into that antique shit is going to die horribly. You'd have to be suicidal to not be a Russian draft dodger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was taught by an Air Force pilot, on either end it's a metric shit ton or an RCH, those are the extreme measures on each end.

Recent picture of UVZ's factory floor.  Even getting the SU-122's ready for use.  This stuff is nuts.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/1AF99C3F-37A9-46EC-B9B0-9ADF1A470724_jpe-2562381.JPG

T62 rebuild factory vid. Mae West armor

Also, supposedly data on Russian Tank losses showing recent T62s are in the grinder. Can't comment on the source or accuracy but they are there.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Was the T62 the pressure cooker that explodes from it's own magazine/explosive shells when it's hit and blows it's own turret like a Jack-in-The-Box?

View Quote

T-54/T-55s & T-62s can suffer catastrophic turret-hull separation if fully “tactical” (uploaded with ammunition and fuel).  Also, my understanding is the that turrets aren’t bolted to the hull, since

1.  The turrets are heavy enough to stay in position through gravity, and

2.  Tanks are not designed to operate upside down

The older T-54/T-55s and T-62s didn’t seem to disintegrate like the newer T-72 series, but I have seen both of the older series “intact” but burnt out, and others blown apart.  I have a picture of a T-55 in Kuwait that was hit in the right side of the hull with a TOW ATGM, the turret popped off, came back down main gun muzzle first, bent the tube, and the turret resting on the hull askew.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#22]
They have parallel lines (that were running LRP before the war) updating/refurbing both T-72s and T-80s (most likely this is where a chunk of their foreign-sourced electronics are going).

The T-62s seem to be intended to plus-up the Russian infantry force as assault/support guns in the Direct Fire role, from a standoff position that (they hope) will keep them out of RPG/LAW/AT-4/NLAW range.  Javelins and modern ATGMs are still near-insta-death, though.

As to why them and not the T-55s? It's uncertain how many T-55s the Russians have in storage (they gifted/sold/scrapped a bunch, perhaps all....and the ones they didn't might be materially degraded past easy return to service).....and the Russian/Soviet T-55s didn't get much in the way of updating (the last update for the T-55 that was widely adopted in Russia was the mid-80's ERA package, and the Drozd installation for the Naval Infantry before they switched to T-80s).

Quoted:

I was taught by an Air Force pilot, on either end it’s a metric shit ton or an RCH, those are the extreme measures on each end.

Recent picture of UVZ’s factory floor.  Even getting the SU-122’s ready for use.  This stuff is nuts.

View Quote

Given that that looks like a T-34 chassis over in the back, I'm guessing that's a picture from the periodic refurb they do for the Russian MOD's collection of WWII vehicles they use in the Victory Day parade.  Highly unlikely they've got them stripped down for "updates" so they can be sent to the Front.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Next month they are going to want all their 98K captures, Mosins and Nagant revolvers back.
View Quote

They probably have salt mines full of Mosin Nagants and Winchester 1895r rifles……. They can issue those
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A lot of people are stuck on what type of tank and what type of ATGM.

It's the 3C, intelligence and logistics that is winning this.

Knowing is half the battle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55313/A862DBC0-83A3-43BE-B39A-A7032674E6A1_png-2562465.JPG
View Quote
Exactly. Plus the Ukis have shown a will to fight and die.

T-62s have been in seen in Ukraine for a while, but the real question is how does pulling all this obsolescent out of storage and putting it into service further strain the Russian's already piss poor logistics? You now need to feed it with 115mm rounds instead of the T-90's or T-80's 125mm rounds. You have different wear and tear parts that need to be replaced/repaired. Fuel consumption rates between the different tanks in service are not the same, so if you're mixing a T-80 battalion with a T-62 battalion in an armored regiment, you have to factor that in, not to mention I believe there are some T-80s that are gas turbine engines as opposed to the T-90s or T-62s diesel engines.

Standardization of parts and equipment across a force simplifies logistics and sustainment, and that isn't even going into the inability to standardize the "training" (if you want to call it that) the recently mobilized receive before heading to the the front.

One thing I just thought about too is how introducing a "new" piece of equipment complicates the IFF prior to engagement. You might see some more red-on-red incidents because Ivan wasn't told the new Russian tank company to his right flank has T-62s. I have seen less and less Zs on Russian vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They have parallel lines (that were running LRP before the war) updating/refurbing both T-72s and T-80s (most likely this is where a chunk of their foreign-sourced electronics are going).

The T-62s seem to be intended to plus-up the Russian infantry force as assault/support guns in the Direct Fire role, from a standoff position that (they hope) will keep them out of RPG/LAW/AT-4/NLAW range.  Javelins and modern ATGMs are still near-insta-death, though.

As to why them and not the T-55s? It's uncertain how many T-55s the Russians have in storage (they gifted/sold/scrapped a bunch, perhaps all....and the ones they didn't might be materially degraded past easy return to service).....and the Russian/Soviet T-55s didn't get much in the way of updating (the last update for the T-55 that was widely adopted in Russia was the mid-80's ERA package, and the Drozd installation for the Naval Infantry before they switched to T-80s).

Given that that looks like a T-34 chassis over in the back, I'm guessing that's a picture from the periodic refurb they do for the Russian MOD's collection of WWII vehicles they use in the Victory Day parade.  Highly unlikely they've got them stripped down for "updates" so they can be sent to the Front.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was taught by an Air Force pilot, on either end it’s a metric shit ton or an RCH, those are the extreme measures on each end.

Recent picture of UVZ’s factory floor.  Even getting the SU-122’s ready for use.  This stuff is nuts.

Aren’t those usually issued to the Taman Guards? They get to drive those fancy white sidewall T-72s
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Soviet army of the 1970s is not the Russian army of 2020s.
Stalin's "quantity has a quality all it's own" does not apply anymore. In tech and in the size and extent of the current Russian forces.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats every russian tank with an auto loader
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

T-34's far right, SU100's and T72's quite a range.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The T-62 only has 242mm of armor on its front turret facing.

The HEAT warhead on an AT-4 will penetrate 450mm.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

Effective range of an AT-4 on a tank sized target is around 300m. Which is getting pretty damn close to armor for my taste. That being said the Russians have repeatedly shown a inability to defend their tanks with dismounted infantry. The AT-4 is going to kick up a plume giving away the firers position. AT-4s are cheap so I’d set up multiple kill teams to fire simultaneously to defeat the ablative armor. Then scoot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In another 6 months when those run out they be reactivating T34's and IS2's
View Quote

I'll bet there's a bunch of old KV-1's  stashed somewhere they could put back into service
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They are…..might see some T-34s upgunned on the battlefield soon……be funny if the Ukrainians had a Panther they took out of storage somewhere and engaged them with it
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#32]

They are using lots of Maxim's as we speak. Lots of pictures of them out there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

the last 30 years is different then the time shortly after Vietnam. Vietnam was fought just like WW2.

With that lack of tech, numbers really matter and the Soviet Union had massive overwhelming numbers with about the same tech level during most of the cold war.

That all changed and the status quo narrative stayed the same because there is lots of crooked money in it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Both sides are doing similar things. Whether it’s old recruits or old tanks. https://euromaidanpress.com/2022/09/20/slovenia-to-supply-28-m-55s-tanks-to-ukraine/
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Both sides are doing similar things. Whether it’s old recruits or old tanks. https://euromaidanpress.com/2022/09/20/slovenia-to-supply-28-m-55s-tanks-to-ukraine/
View Quote

I think they could possibly upgun the 62 and the 55 to take the 125……. Might take some work but the Israelis are good at that and could lend them some expertise
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

If some big change doesn’t happen soon, Putin won’t have much of any conventional military left.  Anti-tank guns from WWII, going into action against Ukraine, its more modern Soviet era stuff, and all that donated western hardware.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#37]
First Invasion of Ukraine: February 2014

Second Invasion of Ukraine: February 2022

Soon:

Girls und Panzer der Film - BT-42 scene on crack (1/4)

*Subtitles and pizza not accurate.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
...might see some T-34s upgunned on the battlefield soon……be funny if the Ukrainians had a Panther they took out of storage somewhere and engaged them with it
View Quote

That would be wild.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because by the end of the war the Russians were doing quite well with production. They (mostly women/children) literally moved manufacturing facilities across the country.
View Quote

How many less tanks/artillery would they have produced without lens-lease?  The US have them a lot of supply trucks in particular, how many less T34s/Su100s/aircraft/big guns would they have made if they had to dedicate more of their production capacity to making those?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

no shit....fucking military industrial complex at it again
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And so it turned that Russia, like Iraq, really wasnt much of a threat to the world after all......
View Quote

Russia sucks ass so much their Navy is getting wrekt by a country that does not even have a navy
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's like....Every Russian MBT from post WW2 I think.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Russia is gonna be in a world of hurt if China decides to make a move to reclaim what they think is theirs in the East.

Kind of fortuitous that Chinese-owned politicians in the West have backed Ukraine and bled out Russia, materially.

TC
View Quote

What does China think they own in the East?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#44]
No autoloader on the T-62 so every time one pops its top Russia loses 4 men instead of 3.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#45]
This is going to be like, Tank Pokemon. Gotta kill them all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that depends if it's a metric or imperial shit ton.

Is 2015 recent to you?

Always doubt any picture you see and learn to do a reverse image search.

Attachment Attached File

2017 article with the picture
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://preview.redd.it/f8ce32qtjzo81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=c8ceb532748cd799f76f88bb1a7dfa25dcb362d0

Russia...   STRONK!!!!  

Bigger_Hammer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia...   STRONK!!!!  

Bigger_Hammer

Shit, I’d love that trailer for firewood.   The Maxim can stand in for the chainsaw.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lost in this is the question of whether tanks in general are obsolete now.
View Quote

That's a huge conclusion to draw.  Considering that Russia's tactics haven't evolved much form WWI...

Combined arms seems to be a foreign concept to them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

For decades, they had the Warsaw Pact countries backing them up.  Now they are alone, without FDR sending them $ and equipment.

I am surprised they haven't been buying the stuff we are sending from the Ukrainians.  Or maybe they already are.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I think they could possibly upgun the 62 and the 55 to take the 125……. Might take some work but the Israelis are good at that and could lend them some expertise
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Israelis upgraded their captures 55s to use the 105
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top