BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Pima Air and Space Museum

IIRC it is the actual plane that set the record flight accross the nation.

Link Posted: 6/20/2006 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Lockheed SR-71 and its variants are BY FAR the greatest aircraft ever built and flown!

Even if it came out TODAY, it would be lightyears ahead of its time.

I wish someday I could be a part of such a project...

Anyone else have more 6+ information/speculation? I have never heard of this before.

I agree with your sentiments exactly, I've always thought the SR-71 was/is the greatest aircraft ever.

And to think, at the time it was built it was done by engineers who only had slide-rules and drafting boards.

It is absolutely one of the greatest technological achievements of all time in my humble opinion...

I was thinking the same thing.  Consider also the timeframe they worked within and the fact that they had to fabricate their own tools to work the titanium.

Genius.

Kudos to inventing tech as you go!

As a sidenote:  slide rules can be accurate to a minimum of 3 decimal places .  The user is the one who places the decimal.

I never got to use them 'officially' but I did get one just for curiosity sake and they are cool (got a circular one)
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to Donn Byrnes, co-author of Blackbird Rising, "If you want to see how good an engine you have, count the shock diamonds --- if you can get 9 or better, you have got yourself one hell of an engine." - Lockheed photo by Bill Flanagan, via John Stone

That was then, now you count how many donuts on a rope you have.

Got pictures?  

You can look on the web for better quality, but here's some I took two years ago from
Elmendorf's air show.  Burner pics just don't show up as well on sunny hazy days.  

Ooooh, check out the E-3 !      

A few more pics here: members.aol.com/sensasstcweb2/airshowpics.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The BB is a bad mother to be sure, but I have always liked the B-58 Hustler. I was there at WPAFB at the "museum runway" when the one on display landed. And there when "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" landed, and many others. Growing up within eyesight of the place has it's benefits.

I love the hustler too, I think the SR-71, B-58, and XB-70 form the trifecta of coolest large aircraft of their era.  

I definitely agree.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey sorry to go off the real subject, But i just happened to be thinking of the Google Earth thing I saw the blackbirds on the ramp there a few weeks back , now they are gone? I read this today.

ANY COINCIDENCE?

A North Korean state television broadcast, monitored in Seoul, said nothing about whether the North intended to test-launch a long-range missile. But the report cited a Russian editorial on the subject and said the North "has the due right to have a missile that can immediately halt the United States' reckless aerial espionage activity."

The North has repeatedly complained in recent weeks about alleged U.S. spy planes watching its activities

I think they're referring to the RC-135 (or whatever they're called) flights.    Several news stories have referred to them.

Insert recon a/c identifier of your choice & I am almost certain that it has flown a recon mission over / adjacent to the DPRK. Their AD system is laughable at best...
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As a sidenote:  slide rules can be accurate to a minimum of 3 decimal places .  The user is the one who places the decimal.

I never got to use them 'officially' but I did get one just for curiosity sake and they are cool (got a circular one)

I still have the slide rule I used for all of my math and science classes in college.

Believe it or not, there once was a time without computers.

Link Posted: 6/20/2006 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have the slide rule I used for all of my math and science classes in college.

Believe it or not, there once was a time without computers.

Yeah

Another beauty to the slide rule is that with one setting on the slide rule, multiple calculations can be carried out.

I'm a big fan of elegance in simplicity .  I am in no way surprised that we got to the Moon and back on slide rules.

When it works, it works and time will not change that
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"* So how fast does the SR-71 really go.......?

The fastest published speed of the SR is Mach 3.5. There are several factors that limit the speed of the SR, one is the shock waves generated by various parts of the plane, at around Mach 3.6- 3.8 the shock wave off the nose of the aircraft narrows enough to go into the engine, while there is the inlet spike (which slows the air to subsonic before it enters the engine), the shock wave bypasses the spike and causes the engine to unstart. "

I believe this was addressed with the wider flatter nose profile, Glass heating wasn't a limitation, we could overcome that, the space shuttle has freaking windows.

You hit the nail on the head.  The Space Shuttle is going much faster than Mach 3.5 when it hits the atmosphere.  What you have just witnessed is BS put forth by the government to mask the SR-71's true capabilities.

I'm not saying it isn't BS, but the space shuttle doesn't have jet engines.

They said the glass in the cockpit could not withstand the temperatures caused by air friction at speeds greater than Mach 3.5, therefore the SR-71 could never exceed that speed.  The Space Shuttle re-enters the atmosphere at 15,000 MPH, and it has glass windows in the cockpit, therefore the story about the glass being a limiting factor in the SR-71's top speed is not true.

The "atmosphere" at 500,000 feet is a whole different animal than it is at 80-100K'.  If the shuttle hadn't slowed to barely over mach by that altitude it would self destruct.  The fastest known "aircraft", the X-15 made it to around mach 6, but that was at 200,00'+ and it still had problems with leading edges melting, and they were titanium.  As much as some people may want to believe it, mach 3.5 or so was the maximum speed of the SR-71.  

Yep, dream on about speeds we are still having trouble with using ceramic coatings taking.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Couldn't leading edges be made of ceramic or a tungsten material to withstand the high temperature?

I can't figure a way to deal with the problem of the glass on the cockpit windows.

Still doesn't matter, the sonic shock wave blanks the engines above the designed top speed. It is not a rocket ship from Buck Rogers!
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You used a FRENCH webpage to base your facts of the J58 on?  

I never said that the J58 turbojet engine is what took the SR-71 to its high mach speeds.  
Ran what I said though the liberalizer spin translation webpage I see.

Didn't I post this or was I on drugs:  The AEROSPIKE or TRANSLATING SPIKE and it's associated systems are what takes the SR-71 to the high mach speeds.

Maybe you could stick to your delusional version of reality, or you could  read the actual discourse of information that was being discussed before you started with false presumptions of ignorance.  As for the website, it posted for more general information on the developement of the SR71, not an actual reference page on the core sections of the J58, but what ever floats your boat pal, the white part on birdshit.......

Personal attacks and name calling always make a persons point more better.
Keep calling me names.

Me? I'll stick with what Pratt and Whitney classified the J58 as, a turbojet.

You and the rest can focus on the the part of the SR-71's powerplant system that does not include the big lump of metal inside the engine bay that is the J58 axial-flow turbojet engine.

All I'm saying is an AR15 is not an M16 as much as the J58 is not just a turbojet engine.

I think you are trying to make a point that no one is arguing. The engine installed is a turbojet. At high speed the inlet and afterburner are operating as a ram jet. It is incorrect to state that the aircraft is powered by a ram jet. I think you are grandstanding just a tad.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
tag so I can come back and catch up with the 9+ pages...
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]
from HERE

The Space Shuttle is an example of an aircraft that operates at hypersonic speeds, reaching an orbital speed of about 18,000 miles per hour or about 5 miles per second (8 kilometers per second). But since there is practically no atmosphere at the Shuttle's final orbital altitude, ordinary rules of aerodynamics do not apply. It is during reentry that atmospheric hypersonic flight conditions appear. The Shuttle reaches Mach numbers above 10 and surface temperatures of 11,000° F (6,000° C), which are handled by the ceramic tiles that coat the orbiter, before it encounters the dense air that produces aerodynamic drag that helps it slow and land.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
tag so I can come back and catch up with the 9+ pages...

Do yourself a favor and skip pages 5-8... typical ARFCOM bullshit pissing match

They handed me a slide rule in some forgotten class in junior high. I did not understand it one damn bit. It might as well have been a clarinet
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I was handed a slide rule in some class High School. The teacher didn't feel like teaching us how to use them, though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I went to an airshow at RAF Mildenhall when I was a kid ,  back in the 80's (IIRC) they had a Blackbird fly in for the show.....what an amazing plane....I was told at the time that it overshot the UK and had to turn around somewhere over the continent....Was this BS, I don't know ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a cool math teacher in Jr. High that taught us to use a slide rule. But that was 30 yrs ago and I don't remember how to use one anymore.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top