Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're looking for confirmation bias from these experiments, where intelligent beings designed the conditions and introduced various types of single-celled organisms into the test parameters to see if simple organisms were affected by the presence of predatory organisms, what theory are you looking to confirm?
View Quote
No shit ...
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
So, my question is: why didn't Chlamydomonas reinhardtii evolve into a multicellular life form in nature? If - as the researchers claim - the multi-cellular version offers additional "protection from predation", wouldn't this have naturally occurred on its own, if it offered an evolutionary advantage?

Sounds like they artificially induced a condition that does not occur naturally, and are using this to "demonstrate" a supposed evolutionary concept.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, my question is: why didn't Chlamydomonas reinhardtii evolve into a multicellular life form in nature? If - as the researchers claim - the multi-cellular version offers additional "protection from predation", wouldn't this have naturally occurred on its own, if it offered an evolutionary advantage?

Sounds like they artificially induced a condition that does not occur naturally, and are using this to "demonstrate" a supposed evolutionary concept.
View Quote
Because God.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
^^^^ And that's how you do it. If you're gonna have doubts, at least do it in an intelligent manner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a somewhat extraordinary claim.

I'm going to need:

1) Replication of the results from independent researchers.

2) Genetic analysis of the populations before and after the change to multi-cellular occurred. Did genetic mutation occur, or did the stresses merely activate existing genetic features not normally expressed?
^^^^ And that's how you do it. If you're gonna have doubts, at least do it in an intelligent manner.
I concur.

Science is supposed to be testable, so test these results further.

Pretty cool though.  When we can create  unique lifeforms from scratch it will be a milestone of human achievement... and possibly our last if we aren't careful.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Because God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because God.
I think upon further investigation and testing of their methods, you'll find the answer isn't quite what they've presented.  Now when that happens, it'll be page 4 news, but at least they'll correct it.  I would for the time being give the research teams the benefit of the doubt, but to me there's a variable that's being missed.  I'll have to read the paper further, but does this mean they have witnessed the creation of an all new, never before discovered multicellular organism, or they've never witnessed the single cell version mutate/evolve into the multi-cellular version?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Talk about confirmation bias?

When all you have to go on is "This book is true because it says so right here on this page in this paragraph" then you don't really have much to go on.

The evidence for creation is one book of fairy tales.    The evidence for evolution will fill several very large libraries.

I know which seems far more credible to me.

The problem with some people is that they refuse to believe in something that they can't personally comprehend.   This is where flat earthers and moon truthers and some strains of conspiracy nuts come from.

Evolution is a very complex subject.  To fully understand all the evidence for it you'd have to be quite well educated.

Interestingly,  those who have an extensive science based education almost NEVER side with creationism.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
First NASA, now two universities.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/NASA-was-able-to-recreate-the-origins-of-life-and-the-results-are-shocking/5-2197688/?page=1

Both known for participation in the global warming hoax, are now trying to claim evolution? On the same day the senate fails to block infanticide?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-to-vote-on-born-alive-bill-to-protect-infants-who-survive-a-failed-abortion

Idk. cell crap is over my head, but this smells swampy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Typically, isolated pockets of a species experience strong enough selection pressure to evolve into something else. Not the species as a whole.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
That used to be called academic rigor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
So in other words, they clumped together to avoid predation?  And this is supposedly new?  

And this "multicellular organism" they found, does it function as a single unit?  Or is it just a clump of cells which are less susceptible to phagocytosis?

This is what you would call a "sensationalist" headline.  We've known for decades that many species of microorganisms can do this when stressed, but I guess if you call it "evolution in action" it gets more clicks nowadays.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently healthy skepticism died along with the field of climatology.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
God did it. He looked down into that test tube and wanted to save some of the single celled creatures. So he said, "let them be multi-celled so as to defeateth thy single celled enemies."

And it was so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BULLSHIT!
God did it. He looked down into that test tube and wanted to save some of the single celled creatures. So he said, "let them be multi-celled so as to defeateth thy single celled enemies."

And it was so.
In other words," Let Them multiply and divide."
And then, after another 600 million years it evolved
into a monkey's testicle.
And then it was so..
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had been planning on going back to school nest year to get my MA in history just for my own edification, but I'm really considering getting a BS/MS in biology just because I'm fascinated by this stuff.
View Quote
I read that in Onslow's voice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had been planning on going back to school nest year to get my MA in history just for my own edification, but I'm really considering getting a BS/MS in biology just because I'm fascinated by this stuff.
View Quote
As a guy currently studying for an MA in history, unless your school district (assuming you are a teacher) is going move you up the pay schedule for an MA or you want to adjunct at a CC, go for something STEM. It’ll probably be more useful.

MA in history is fun and interesting but the utility is marginal unless you are an educator.

Studying Life sciences will be a cool and fascinating adventure with more practical applications.

ETA: Even if for your own edification, I would probably choose the more versatile course of study. Just in case.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]
RNA is a helluva tool.

DNA is a helluva storage unit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And then it was so..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BULLSHIT!

And it was so.
And then it was so..
Edit: better remove that joke. That might've been over the line.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Typically, isolated pockets of a species experience strong enough selection pressure to evolve into something else. Not the species as a whole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no record in the fossils to show a species evolving into something else.  Stuff just appears.  Suddenly cells. Suddenly a turtle. Suddenly a shark. Suddenly a dinosaur.  That's why Punctuated Equilibrium is a theory.  It's literally the theory of "shit, we can't find gradually evolution, let's say it happened so radically fast, and in such a small amount that we just can't find it."  (High fives all around.)   I enjoy the fight between the gradualists and the punctuationists.  Like two computers arguing about when they gradually formed from bits and parts, or just popped up, suddenly a disc-try, suddenly a hard-drive, suddenly a working computer network. Hazzah.

The atheists think the Christians are the only ones with "fairy tales."  I think they should be more honest with themselves.  It goes against all logic from observation of the world, ourselves, and our own creations to believe Selection, a process that simply is the survival of what was already present, magical creative powers of creation, right down to the molecular level.  It's like, let me take the words of a book and write a new book, as I have fewer and fewer words to select from...and this is how I explain having the book, and a whole library.  Selection isn't going the direction Evolutionists think (or need).
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like an interesting article, looking forward to reading it fully.

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, if there is an advantage to being unicellular when not experiencing predation on this level, and those conditions occur with some frequency, unicellularity will be selected for. Individuals being selected for multicellularity to specialize for higher predation would be washed out because of interbreeding with unicellular individuals on the other fitness peak.

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd need to see evidence that the capability to form a multicellular unit wasn't already present the the algal genome before I'll buy this researcher witnessing the evolution of that capability in vitro in real time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Unpossible!

G-d did it to amuse herself & mess with them.
View Quote
Same reason he planted dinosaur bones (apart from trying to grow dinosaurs)
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#24]
"In science, contradictory evidence makes one question the theory. In religion, contradictory evidence makes one question the evidence" ~Floyd Toole.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#25]
This is some racist shit.

Reparations are in order.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if ANY of the “nuh uh, god did it!” brigade read the article.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is no record in the fossils to show a species evolving into something else.  Stuff just appears.  Suddenly cells. Suddenly a turtle. Suddenly a shark. Suddenly a dinosaur.  That's why Punctuated Equilibrium is a theory.  It's literally the theory of "shit, we can't find gradually evolution, let's say it happened so radically fast, and in such a small amount that we just can't find it."  (High fives all around.)   I enjoy the fight between the gradualists and the punctuationists.  Like two computers arguing about when they gradually formed from bits and parts, or just popped up, suddenly a disc-try, suddenly a hard-drive, suddenly a working computer network. Hazzah.

The atheists think the Christians are the only ones with "fairy tales."  I think they should be more honest with themselves.  It goes against all logic from observation of the world, ourselves, and our own creations to believe Selection, a process that simply is the survival of what was already present, magical creative powers of creation, right down to the molecular level.  It's like, let me take the words of a book and write a new book, as I have fewer and fewer words to select from...and this is how I explain having the book, and a whole library.  Selection isn't going the direction Evolutionists think (or need).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, I don’t think it’s only Christians with fairy tales. Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jains and Animists have them too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Evolution's just a theory man....
View Quote
Get back to me when your algea starts walking and talking  
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
The great failure in your thinking is that you assume the fossil record is continuous.

It's anything but that.

Rational estimates indicate that the conditions for fossil formation to BEGIN at any given point on earth occur only one day in 60,000 years.

If you want to make a movie, that's a hell of a long time between frames.  It's not going to show smooth motion and you're going to miss a great deal between frames.

Trusting creation science is easy because it eliminates any need for you to apply your god-given brain to the problem.

"HE did it! Now I don't have to study werdz no morez!"

What a weak copout.

Evidence of evolution is EVERYWHERE around us.   Evidence of creation is in ONE book that declares itself to be the sole repository of truth.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
BULLSHIT!
View Quote
Ok I am convinced.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Playing with fire.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A casual MS in Biology just because?  That's...impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The term is called "professional student", IIRC.

Is this s&g pursuit a free ride, or will student loans be involved?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah- I'm not to sure on this one and going to call BS. This just look like the cells grouped together and there has been 0 change in heritable traits at all. Therefore no evolution has taken place.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's a somewhat extraordinary claim.

I'm going to need:

1) Replication of the results from independent researchers.

2) Genetic analysis of the populations before and after the change to multi-cellular took place. Did genetic mutation occur, or did the stresses merely activate existing genetic features not normally expressed?
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Talk about confirmation bias?

When all you have to go on is "This book is true because it says so right here on this page in this paragraph" then you don't really have much to go on.

The evidence for creation is one book of fairy tales.    The evidence for evolution will fill several very large libraries.

I know which seems far more credible to me.

The problem with some people is that they refuse to believe in something that they can't personally comprehend.   This is where flat earthers and moon truthers and some strains of conspiracy nuts come from.

Evolution is a very complex subject.  To fully understand all the evidence for it you'd have to be quite well educated.

Interestingly,  those who have an extensive science based education almost NEVER side with creationism.
View Quote
It's not  as lopsided as you think.
https://www.reasons.org/
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither. I work for the university and they pay for six hours of classes per semester as one of my bennies. I can just plug away part time or kill myself with a full course load and work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm more interested in how things got from the first organic molecules to the first cell...
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#38]
So a living creature evolved into a more complex creature?

Call me when chemicals in a sterile environment turn into a single cell living organism.

Then I'll be impressed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Call me when chemicals in a sterile environment turn into a single cell living organism.
View Quote
They haven't replicated that and never will
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm just tagging this for the show.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The great failure in your thinking is that you assume the fossil record is continuous.

It's anything but that.

Rational estimates indicate that the conditions for fossil formation to BEGIN at any given point on earth occur only one day in 60,000 years.

If you want to make a movie, that's a hell of a long time between frames.  It's not going to show smooth motion and you're going to miss a great deal between frames.

Trusting creation science is easy because it eliminates any need for you to apply your god-given brain to the problem.

What a weak copout.

Evidence of evolution is EVERYWHERE around us.   Evidence of creation is in ONE book that declares itself to be the sole repository of truth.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's anything but that.

What a weak copout.

I saw a lecture video on the evolution of the eyeball. The lecturer said it could have taken as few as 250,000 generations to go from nothing to a fully formed and fuctional eyeball. That sounds like a lot, but let's say it's an organism that can reproduce every two years. So 500,000 years to go from nothing to eyes. That's a blip in geologic terms. It simply be that in between no eyes and eyes there just wasn't a fossil made is such a period if the local conditions didn't allow for it. Or it made be under the next rock we turn over.

But we can't stop looking and that's what makes science so neat.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact we even have fossils is pretty amazing, it takes some pretty narrow sets of conditions to create one.

Only an infinitesimal fraction of life will ever become one.

To expect to find a sample of every single species as it transitions into a different one over countless generations is to expect far too much. With the fossil record we have though some very logical conclusions can be drawn.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Playing with fire.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Atheist worship Darwin and Christopher Hitchens instead of Jesus.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is there some kind of newsletter that goes out that tells these people the improper way to pluralize -ist words?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are going to H-E-Diddly Hockey sticks!!

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Is there some kind of newsletter that goes out that tells these people the improper way to pluralize -ist words?
View Quote
It's a dumbass word for dumbasses , I don't use it often unless I'm referring to dumbass-ists  - sorry
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's a dumbass word for dumbasses , I don't use it often unless I'm referring to dumbass-ists  - sorry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triggered
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#50]
It's always the same dumbass atheists vs the dumbass theists in these threads with a few insightful posts on each end.

Mostly it's just telling the other side "you're in the wrong line, dumbass."
Page / 4
Top Top