Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't

Me and the wife have had a combination of 35k in raises over the last 3 years and we have significantly less buying power than three years ago. She will get a smaller raise in the next budget year and I won't get any. So it's only going to get worse

Someone somewhere is making a ton off inflation
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You answered your own question when you said you spent $18 at taco bell. We feed a family of 4 at taco bell for less than $25 and we have got our McDonalds order down to $16 and some change. The meals on the board no longer are value meals. We still eat at home for much cheaper and your mortgage is higher than our rent.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lucked out on cheap rent.
Not really easy.  I'm basically where I was 15 years ago thanks to "progressives".

When Orange Man was in office, it was the first time I'd ever had enough money that a few hundred bucks wasn't a big deal.
View Quote

Still can't believe that people so disliked the man that they allowed their feels to jeopardize their own prosperity.  Along with the numerous single issue voters.  You know who I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep.

Eating out and convenience store/gas station purchases are a bane of the middle class. A lot of people could cut $100s from their monthly spending if they would pack a lunch and not buy $3 energy drinks.
View Quote

Don't forget Starbucks.  People seem to always have the money for their foo foo drink based on the waiting line all the time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Still can't believe that people so disliked the man that they allowed their feels to jeopardize their own prosperity.  Along with the numerous single issue voters.  You know who I'm talking about.
View Quote

A lot of liberals don't give a fuck about the poor either. The "go be poor somewhere else" attitude isn't just limited to conservatives.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
In my state the poors are making it because of the government siphoning all of the middle class money. We have a supposed $18 Billion surplus in MN and instead of giving it back to the tune of $3k per taxpayer, we're getting a meaningless $250, meanwhile the welfare rats are getting like $1750 per kid.

I make about $40k more than I did pre-2020 and it feels like way less when everything has gone up 50% in price.

As long as trannies are allowed to groom kids and we legalize pot no young people seem to care. As an old millenial, I quit watching or listening to all political commentary after the fraud 2020 election. We're so long past the point of being screwed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The people making less eat better than me because my state never stops giving out the HAND OUTS.
Always hitting me up for more so they can live a better life than me.
They have HUD pay their rent.
We have medical for them.
Free cell phones.
Food Stamps.
Electric is paid.
FREE internet.
Why even go to work after getting all that?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of text warning, lol.

It definitely isn’t for the faint of heart.. I am divorced, 1 kid, no alimony. I make roughly $30 an hour and pay for half of the kids daycare ($350 a month), health insurance (60% paid for by work for kid and myself) and in place of child support I put $120 a month and $500 each January into an investment fund for my kids future. I also invent 8% into my 401K (company offers 4% match). My ex wife and I split custody 50/50 but I make roughy $6 an hour more than she does so the state thinks I should be taxed to death and pay $400 a month ON TOP OF EVERYTHING in child support… luckily my ex wife thinks the state needs to stay the fuck out of our business.

I currently rent an apartment that is roughly $1450 a month and drive a paid for Tacoma, cook at home 90% of the time and enjoy a relaxed life. If I go out with friends, I have 1 or 2 beers and call it done. I could absolutely find a cheaper place to live, but growing up on welfare I feel like I have come to far to not enjoy my life. My work is mainly recession resistant and is in demand, it is also 5 minutes from my apartment.

During the weeks I have my kid, I spend about $75-$85 on groceries and when I don’t I spend about $40 a week on food for myself. Shopping at Aldi or watching for sales saves me tons of money and gets me fresh veggies. We are super fortunate to have a local farm that does produce that does a weekly sale that I take advantage of. I also keep an eye out when the local butcher/farmer offers sides of beef. I spent $800 last year and got enough beef to last my kid and I for 8 months. He also offers organic chicken for around what I’d pay in store so I buy in bulk and freeze and pull as needed,

A couple of my employees make roughly $18-$20 an hour and spend money like it’s going out of style and constantly complain they are broke.

Now, if I could refrain from the EE, I might be a few thousand dollars richer. But buying/selling is alot of fun and I tend to upgrade and resell as I go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We make good money and are starting to feel it like crazy.  Went from feeling like we finally reached F You money, to feeling like we're living paycheck to paycheck.

Our grocery bill, to include toiletries and cleaning stuff, has doubled.  Yesterday I ran to the store to get dinner.  Ground beef, buns, two citronella candles, and a couple bags of veggie tots.  $40 fucking dollars.

It sucks.
View Quote

Couple days ago I grabbed an 18-pack of eggs and a gallon of milk... $14.00.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I am 61 and make between 70-75k A year.

I am single (divorced but no debt from it)

Own my own home- $455 month/mortgage

Pumping 20% into 401K plus 5% company kicks in

No CC debt-paid off every month.

Bought a new car a year or so ago with cash to use that puppy way into retirement

I have most of the toys I want bought over the years.

Worked with my financial planner recently who said I'm good to go for retirement next year.

Only thing I need to cut down on is buying less expensive cigars after I retire.

It can be done but you have to make the effort now for later...

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It's actually been pretty damn easy. We live within our means. And thanks to raises caused by scamdemic and lack of people who actually want to work, we are in fact saving more than ever before, enough in fact that we are looking for a piece of property to buy now with cash, no loans for us, we have zero debt because we abandoned credit almost 15 years ago, we own both our vehicles outright and everything else in our house too including a pretty impressive firearm collection.

And all this on an average of about 60K a year total in salary. Less than that in the early years, a little more the last couple.

But the vast majority of people have a mental illness that we used to call "keeping up with the Jones'es" or as some called it "puttin' on airs", everybody wants to look and live much richer than they are, and in the end it's what will break them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you don't have health problems you're probably not spending that much on taxes and insurance.

Poor people with kids get payed to file taxes. Poor people without kids barely pay anything. Taxes ramp up quickly as you get to a median income and surpass it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's math it out here.
$41,600 - 30% for taxes and employer-provided health insurance = $29120
$29120/12=$2425
$2425-$1300 (mortgage and truck) = $1125
$1433-$450 for food ($100/wk) = $675
$983-$300/mo for utilities (phone, electricity, etc.) = $375
$375x12=$4500/yr

So I guess you're technically correct, the best kind of correct.
That would be living on the super cheap and not spending anything extra on anything, but it would be possible by the books.

If you don't have health problems you're probably not spending that much on taxes and insurance.

Poor people with kids get payed to file taxes. Poor people without kids barely pay anything. Taxes ramp up quickly as you get to a median income and surpass it.
I can only go based on my own experience. ~30% of my income is gone before I see a dime, going to taxes and insurance. 18% of it is taxes (both state and federal). I do not have health problems but I do pay for a "family" insurance plan... since I have a family. If I was single, my insurance would be about half.
We also spend $200/week on groceries and $100/week on gas. Sometimes more. Inflation is a real bitch. We used to spend just over half that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not too bad with no wife and kids. I make $70k, rent is $1100,  car payment is $425. I eat out at restaurants every weekend and take a couple vacations every year.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, an income of $90k is for the poors

College grads are demanding 6 figure salaries, 8 weeks paid time off, 4 days a week teleworking and flexable working hours (come in no earlier than 9)
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, that’s a good question.  I’ve never seen so many new high priced trucks, toys, and SUVs in the past two years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
My income seems to only go down.

and the expenses have skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Those of us who are older learned to live on a budget. We paid off our homes and vehicles because debt makes you a slave.

Life is about choices. Drive a car you can pay cash for. Down size and experience true freedom.

Everything you own can be  lost in the blink of an eye. Don’t let your things own your soul.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Don't forget Starbucks.  People seem to always have the money for their foo foo drink based on the waiting line all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Eating out and convenience store/gas station purchases are a bane of the middle class. A lot of people could cut $100s from their monthly spending if they would pack a lunch and not buy $3 energy drinks.

Cute chic I used to work with was on the expansion program with Starbucks Frappuccinos.

No doubt they are damn delicious with an extra double shot of espresso but I swear you could hear her getting fatter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's funny about this thread is how many of you people need so much money to live.
View Quote

It's a gun website.

10% of the people here actually have cool shit. Cool shit costs money.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's not too bad with no wife and kids. I make $70k, rent is $1100,  car payment is $425. I eat out at restaurants every weekend and take a couple vacations every year.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#22]
They don't; unless they've living in a van down by the river and get EBT.

Some people work the circuit.  They got EBT and then extra from the county.  They collected from San Francisco, Alameda, Marin, Contra Costa so they had more than enough especially when they pooled their money and shared an apartment. This was in the '90s.  I can't imagine it getting any better since then.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On a positive note, the number of "go be poor somewhere else" posts and threads seem to have slowed down considerably.  I wonder why.
View Quote

No kidding.  

Interesting to see recognition creeping in around the edges of some people's posts.

(no dig on OP)

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those of us who are older learned to live on a budget. We paid off our homes and vehicles because debt makes you a slave.

Life is about choices. Drive a car you can pay cash for. Down size and experience true freedom.

Everything you own can lost in the blink of an eye. Don’t let your things own your soul.
View Quote

Too true brother, wise man told me long ago "what you covet, covets YOU".

Wife and I got sick of being a life-support system for a bunch of shit we didn't need or really enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We make good money and are starting to feel it like crazy.  Went from feeling like we finally reached F You money, to feeling like we're living paycheck to paycheck.

Our grocery bill, to include toiletries and cleaning stuff, has doubled.  Yesterday I ran to the store to get dinner.  Ground beef, buns, two citronella candles, and a couple bags of veggie tots.  $40 fucking dollars.

It sucks.
View Quote

Really?  You don't plan ahead at all?  Just run to the store for dinner that night and are surprised it costs so much?

You could save a ton of money shopping well in advance and planning ahead.  I thought that was what "everyone" here does?  Buys a full or half cow or whatever and puts it back.  Buy it cheap, stack it deep...
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went to Aldi this morning and a dozen eggs was $1.18.  Milk was $2.27 a gallon.  Lots of stuff is dropping in price lately.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#27]
How are they making it?  As far as I can tell... by Stealing: Theft Is Now Costing Retailers in the United States About 100 Billion Dollars a Year
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I went to Aldi this morning and a dozen eggs was $1.18.  Milk was $2.27 a gallon.  Lots of stuff is dropping in price lately.
View Quote
For years eggs were amazingly cheap. It's nice to see them start coming back down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good old fashioned American debt
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I make $60k a year (75k if I include side work) and we are a single income family, I support my wife & daughter. We are doing alright, we're not starving and we have a roof over our heads. Our only form of assistance is what the good Lord graciously provides for us. If I work hard, take care of my family, and follow the Lord, God will never fail us. You just have to put your trust in the Lord, He's the only answer. If I never make it as a millionaire in this life, who cares? Things of this world are fleeting, here one moment and gone the next.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good lord, where are you shopping?

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#32]
If you manage debt and can do a lot of things for yourself, you don't need that much.
I paid off my homes ASAP. Banked $ to fund other things. Anyone who carries a mortgage, who doesn't have to is a fool. Pay that off. That interest you pay on it isn't doing jack shit for your tax return. Be done with it.

I don't take much from my business and live just fine. We have everything we could ever need. And I bet it's a lot less than most of GD would believe.
And we even drive nice, newer cars. No payments.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#33]

The asparagus is $4 in my AO
No chicken, no gas to cook it
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I make between 90-110k a year depending on overtime, my wife brings home 50k, our mortgage is $1,700 and we're largely debt free but we drive a lot for our jobs, so our gas bill is high.  Grocery prices are absurd, my dog food that used to be $30 is now $51 a bag, little things I never even used to bother looking at the price have gone up 3 fold, basically everything has gone up 3 fold.  Fast food?  Shit, not buying it, I can cook Costco Rib eyes on the grill for the price it would cost to feed my family at McDonald's. I got Taco Bell the other day and it was $18.00.

If I'm noticing the crunch that much how the hell are people who make $20/hr surviving? And when the hell are they going to start voting with their wallets instead of virtue signaling distractions?

I can't see this just going on and on, something has to give soon.  I guess I'm just venting, but I swear sometimes it feels like I had more money when I made jack shit 25 years ago.
View Quote

You don't buy anything but necessities, you don't go anywhere, you don't have mothly billing for *anything.*

People with mortgates (paying them directly, or via rents) are getting hammered, massively.

You drive and keep maintaining a twenty year old car or three.

You mumble every time you go anywhere to shop for anything at all, ever.

You go in lowes and see a garden rake that says "craftsman" on it selling for effectively sixty bucks and you reflexively laugh at it so loud that people stare at you. Than when you explain, they go yeah, that's nuts.

You maintain everything, relentlessly, past the point of sanity if you made more.

Your great-grandma who lived thorugh the GD becomes a source of inspiration.

Not the the point of washing and re-using aluminim foil yet, though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you manage debt and can do a lot of things for yourself, you don't need that much.
I paid off my homes ASAP. Banked $ to fund other things. Anyone who carries a mortgage, who doesn't have to is a fool. Pay that off. That interest you pay on it isn't doing jack shit for your tax return. Be done with it.

I don't take much from my business and live just fine. We have everything we could ever need. And I bet it's a lot less than most of GD would believe.
And we even drive nice, newer cars. No payments.
View Quote

Yeah.

It's almost like inflation doesn't even exist.

Till you leave the house, or order anything.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#36]
My >2¢ remark....

Went Galt 10yrs ago, relocated.(urban->rural)

Saw the scamdemic as a way to remove Trump.

Have raised my rates 70% over the last 3yrs to stay afloat.

Me, my family and my local community are all that matter.

Fuck you pay me.

..... become a marketplace mercenary
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In my state the poors are making it because of the government siphoning all of the middle class money. We have a supposed $18 Billion surplus in MN and instead of giving it back to the tune of $3k per taxpayer, we're getting a meaningless $250, meanwhile the welfare rats are getting like $1750 per kid.

I make about $40k more than I did pre-2020 and it feels like way less when everything has gone up 50% in price.

As long as trannies are allowed to groom kids and we legalize pot no young people seem to care. As an old millenial, I quit watching or listening to all political commentary after the fraud 2020 election. We're so long past the point of being screwed.
View Quote

That's a huge problem and it's not the government's job to take care of the poor. That should be the job of the church and the rich. Even God only asks for 10% and He's not going to punish you even if you don't pay. But the problem with the gov giving to the poor is that means they have to take more from someone else's pockets. And what you have now is a whole bunch of people who are dependent on the gov, rather than people that the church could help, and also steer them towards depending on God instead. I'm not saying the church is doing such a great job either. Everybody needs to do better.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hellyeah-175.jpg
I'm in San Diego for my little brother's bachelor party right now. Strip clubs here kinda suck, Vancouver is something else .
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
On a positive note, the number of "go be poor somewhere else" posts and threads seem to have slowed down considerably.  I wonder why.
View Quote

Because we’re all much more broke, thru no fault of our own doing.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You poor thing. How will you ever get to retirement.

Only on Arf do people in the top 10% complain about barely getting by.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With any luck, we'll make about $750k this yr overall, with major medical expenses and good food, in a very high cost of living area, we'll put away some savings, but take home is around 60%.  With responsible retirement savings, we're not living it up for sure.  Old cars, no vacations, $2,500 mortgage. The cost of a "nice" 3,500sq ft newish home, about $2.5m here.  So if I save $250k/yr, maybe I get there by retirement.
You poor thing. How will you ever get to retirement.

Only on Arf do people in the top 10% complain about barely getting by.

Hah, that’s top 1/2% if not top 1/4%.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats like 7-8 bucks at my local walmart. Eggs are about 3 bucks an 18 pack, the the milk I think is around 4-4.50.

I did think it was strange when I kept hearing about how expensive eggs got, they where never over 3.5/18 around me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My fiancé makes 100k ish. I stay with the kids and am a full time student. I’m frugal AF except the new 4Runner I just got. My truck was about to shit though.
View Quote

You have a good one to support you through your schooling. Don’t let him go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Our 150k is taxed, so there is no 12k a month, and we're doing well.  I guess I'm really bitching about,  in my own case, that I can't just go and be a financial dipshit on a whim, or feel like I can't.  I'm 48 with 6 stents in my heart, arthritis so bad that sometimes I wonder how I function, and kinda get the feeling I'm not going to have some golden retirement so I'd like to do the things I want to do while also making sure my family is secure after I'm gone.  

Maybe what I make isn't that good, and I'm fooling myself, but I still have 3 kids at home and I haven't hit penny pinching yet, but the economy had definitely put me in "wait a little while" mode.  I did splurge and buy this, 700 rounds of ammo,  and 8 magazines for it though, so I'm still somewhat of a dipshit. Seemed like a good price though and I've wanted a Dragunov knockoff for 20+ years...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133760/pix013078029_jpg-2822638.JPG
View Quote

Is that a PSL?

My son bought one a few months ago.

I think it was $2300.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Either money tells you what to do or you tell it what to do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's a huge problem and it's not the government's job to take care of the poor. That should be the job of the church and the rich. Even God only asks for 10% and He's not going to punish you even if you don't pay. But the problem with the gov giving to the poor is that means they have to take more from someone else's pockets. And what you have now is a whole bunch of people who are dependent on the gov, rather than people that the church could help, and also steer them towards depending on God instead. I'm not saying the church is doing such a great job either. Everybody needs to do better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh ... no. Sorta.

Taking care of the poor is first, primarily, and mostly the job of ... the poor individual. Than their close family.

After that (noticebaly third place) ... is not the church or rich... it's private society.

Government should come somewhere further down the chain by not  doing henious crap like property taxes (so they can steal your house when you can't pay it), and they shouldn't be doing anything to enable people to be poor, especially drug-addled professional homeless beggar poor.

There used to be (and still are, somewhat) the honest poor. There are less because of the corrupting government vote buying and voter roll buffering programs making people able to live without doing honest work.

This is an interesting read on the topic:

https://thefederalist.com/2014/08/27/mutual-aid-societies-its-amazing-what-people-can-do-together/

As usual, the government got in the way and made these things harder to do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Buying shit they can’t afford, stuff they don’t need, to impress people they don’t know so they can “look rich”.

It’s like a pauper putting on a purple coat - “look at me!  I’m rich and you should respect me!  Can’t you see my designer clothes?!”

Rich landlord shows up in torn blue jeans and tshirt. “Where’s muh money bitch?”
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm in San Diego for my little brother's bachelor party right now. Strip clubs here kinda suck, Vancouver is something else .
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Buying shit they can’t afford, stuff they don’t need, to impress people they don’t know so they can “look rich”.

It’s like a pauper putting on a purple coat - “look at me!  I’m rich and you should respect me!  Can’t you see my designer clothes?!”

Rich landlord shows up in torn blue jeans and tshirt. “Where’s muh money bitch?”
View Quote

The wizard eyes financing that I've saw people discuss always made my head spin

Eta:  BUT I suppose better to be guccied out and in debt during the etowawki than toyless and prudent
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A combined $220k here.  Mortgage is $1,300.  $1,000 a month in car payments but I have a monthly allowance that offsets $800 of it.  No credit card debt.  Two kids.

After taxes, healthcare premiums, 17% in 401k contributions, youth sports, food, vacation fund, misc living expenses were about breaking even.  

For those with kids, you know how expensive they are.  For those without thinking about having them, plan wisely.

View Quote

I have two teenagers.  My son is 6 foot 1 at 15.  The amount of food he eats is beyond comprehension. Even my 17 year old daughter who is skinny is always eating something and has a Starbucks addiction.  Sports, dance lessons, phones, food, car insurance, medical and everything else.  They easily cost me 2500 a month probably more.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Grill Grates,...Nice
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top