Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep running the blade in and out while watching tv.

I think the wife might grab it from me and stab me with it
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

Quoted:
I know it will get hate, but I have several Lightning OTF’s, and have been very pleased.

I actually use the snot out of them, and this is my current EDC.
Cliffie approved:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/528302/IMG_1546-2987564.jpg
View Quote

This one has been thinned down to almost a zero edge.  It's held up surprisingly well and cuts much better now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep running the blade in and out while watching tv.

I think the wife might grab it from me and stab me with it
View Quote

That's a very real, dangerous side effect. I'm banned from otfs and balisongs in the house. Lol
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
So as an update, the Lightning Elite is working great.  Blade is definitely soft.

All the screws loosened quite a bit, not enough to affect function, but I could feel the two case halves moving so I got a torx and snugged them up.

Can I remove them one at a time and use some low strength loctite on em?  Bad idea?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So as an update, the Lightning Elite is working great.  Blade is definitely soft.

All the screws loosened quite a bit, not enough to affect function, but I could feel the two case halves moving so I got a torx and snugged them up.

Can I remove them one at a time and use some low strength loctite on em?  Bad idea?
View Quote

I like clear nail polish for stuff like this. They're also not that complicated inside, might as well open it up and check out how it works.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've been surprised by my lightning elite. It's been super reliable and since I thinned the blade down, it actually cuts decently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightning  $40

I've been surprised by my lightning elite. It's been super reliable and since I thinned the blade down, it actually cuts decently.

Where's the best place to get these? I see tons of places selling them and they all have similar prices.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where's the best place to get these? I see tons of places selling them and they all have similar prices.
View Quote

Whatever place has the color/blade model you want. They are all mass-produced China knives.

I've gotten them from Perry Knifeworks and Grindworx
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Grindworkx.

So far I am responsible for about 10 more of them being sold, the guys in the gun club got a demo during a range setup day(cutting big zip ties, opening boxes, prying staples out of target sticks etc) and ordered a bunch.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightning  $40

Cheapest place I found was perry knife works
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#10]
No pics, but Makora D/E 1/2 Serrated or Ultratech (Stepside or Frag) Tanto Serrated are my favorites

I like the grippiness of the Makora handle, and having two blades available

Tanto edge is handy for random construction tasks at times vs. drop point, and I like the concentrated cutting power of the "elbow" in the tanto blade.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Another source for Lightning, these are the made in Taiwan versions. The others are Chinese(titan, mini, etc..) .  His prices are shipped as welll
Lightning Knives

For comparison, Trodoon, Ultratech, Lightning
Attachment Attached File

For the cost, lightning is impressive.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another source for Lightning, these are the made in Taiwan versions. The others are Chinese(titan, mini, etc..) .  His prices are shipped as welll
Lightning Knives

For comparison, Trodoon, Ultratech, Lightning
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/423396/image_jpg-3004676.JPG
For the cost, lightning is impressive.
View Quote

The elite models are definitely a step up from the standard lightning and the mini, unfortunately.

My elite was 100% reliable out of the box but my mini and standard model needed some polishing to get things working better. They don't feel as well made as the elite either. (keep in mind the quality discussion is all relative to the price, and my expectation of getting a gas station quality knife)
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Love this thing.

Yes, it bit me.  Yes, I was using it as a pry bar. Yes, I'm bad and I feel bad...
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Microtech. Mines at home so no photo on hand.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I was shopping for a Kershaw Livewire and it was going to be my first OTF, then I saw this thread. Perry Knifeworks has red handle spear point Lightning Elites on sale, for $30 shipped how can you say no. Lol. Good chance I'll still be buying a Livewire
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was shopping for a Kershaw Livewire and it was going to be my first OTF, then I saw this thread. Perry Knifeworks has red handle spear point Lightning Elites on sale, for $30 shipped how can you say no. Lol. Good chance I'll still be buying a Livewire
View Quote

I still want a nicer otf. Most likely a livewire or something from hogue
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top