BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the difference is that a lot of "farmers" work outside the farm and just use the farm to write off expensive toys (trucks, side by sides, tractors, etc). Their profit motive is weak.
View Quote

Seems like a lot of work to just own some "expensive toys" like a truck or tractor.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, well, get back to me when your Utopia is achieved.
View Quote

Utopia? Hardly. I’d settle for a country that doesn’t tax the red states to pay the blue ones.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Arthur Godfrey: "I'm proud to pay taxes in the United States; the only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money."

George Sutherland: "The legal right of a taxpayer to decrease the amount of what otherwise would be his taxes, or altogether to avoid them, by means which the law permits, cannot be doubted."
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Warren and Howard Buffett…
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The only way to turn a profit with ranching, at least in my AO, is if someone else paid/pays for the land.

The guys I know turning the best profits have bought homesteads that are used for hay production and keeping prize/project animals.

They use their equipment to make hay for others or “lease” (for basically nothing) small parcels to allow owners to get property tax AG exemption on those parcels

Their baby factories are on “leased” land (again for little or nothing) owned by others who have bigger more suitable parcels and want the property tax AG exemption.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Still trying to justify it here. I have all the info I need but trying to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.
View Quote

You have to find the right tax guy: aggressive, conservative, one who hates the Government as much as you do. We found one, and he retired, and we are working with his son. Money well spent.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
There’s a lot more fuckery with seed and implements. Some of the stories from farmers makes it sound like seed companies and tractor companies are doing everything they can to stop profitable farmers. Or just take the farms directly. Last I heard Monsanto never lost a case.

The GPS systems on tractors are impressive. I went out there about five years ago to check it out. All the tractor operator had to do is turn around and press a button and it tracks the rows better than most people could. That doesn’t come cheap and manufacturers increasingly make much of the stuff factory serviceable only. With the budget farmers have and time constraints that just kills profit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We are using exactly these kinds of strategies to limit our personal and business tax liabilities.
View Quote

I’ve had two farmers tell me they couldn’t afford to not buy a new truck.  

We used to write off mileage but haven’t in a couple years. Not sure how that would work with the CPA if we triggered an audit. I expect they would stand behind their work but nothing about farming getting involved with government makes any sense.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have any books or anything on doing this?  I would like to start a little farmstead business and would like to take advantage of any (legitimate) benefits.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol.

If you can raise $250k of beef with $50,000, I would like you to show me how.

Costs of raising beef cattle
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol.

If you can raise $250k of beef with $50,000, I would like you to show me how.

Costs of raising beef cattle
View Quote

Seems like somebody made a lot of money on cattle futures…
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You gotta do it like the oil men, get a farm, plant some corn, disk it up and hunt over it.
View Quote

Does this corn have to be in a HOA?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know a lot of small time farmers who have another gig on the side. It tends to be grading, construction, or the like. Often something that overlaps their tool and skill use. Because generally speaking without some boutique thing you have to have a lot of land and overhead to make a real profit farming.

But I dont see what you're getting at as being much different from most other small businesses.
View Quote

This. That off farm income is often a spouse working at the local bank, etc too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think the difference is that a lot of "farmers" work outside the farm and just use the farm to write off expensive toys (trucks, side by sides, tractors, etc). Their profit motive is weak.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

look at the median number......and that is the net profit on the schedule F

So for example, let's say I have a cattle ranch.

I sell enough F1 steers to get a check for $250,000

I have normal expenses for the year like feed, meds, fuckin bull tore up the fence again, fuel, oil, etc. That adds up to $50,000

so now I have a NOI of $200,000. Well looks like I need a new F250 and a new tractor. That's $200,000 section 179 it and thus 0 income.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/confused-britney-spears--83.gif

What am I missing?  how is this different than any other business?  I can buy new cranes and welding machines instead of a tractor.  I can get myself a new truck.  If I spend or reinvest all of my earnings....wait for it....I have no earnings.  But, who wants to run a business and have no earnings?

I actually own and run a business and I have no idea what you're getting at.  What am I missing?

When you have large Cat tractors that are upwards to $500K and seed, fertilizer, etc costs, not hard to have write-offs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bill Gates is the largest single owner of farmland in the US. 242,000 acres.
View Quote

Owning farmland doesn't make one a farmer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've had two farmers tell me they couldn't afford to not buy a new truck.  

We used to write off mileage but haven't in a couple years. Not sure how that would work with the CPA if we triggered an audit. I expect they would stand behind their work but nothing about farming getting involved with government makes any sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are using exactly these kinds of strategies to limit our personal and business tax liabilities.

I've had two farmers tell me they couldn't afford to not buy a new truck.  

We used to write off mileage but haven't in a couple years. Not sure how that would work with the CPA if we triggered an audit. I expect they would stand behind their work but nothing about farming getting involved with government makes any sense.

The tax guy told my wife she had to spend a bunch of money this year or pay it in taxes. So, she bought a two year old Dodge Ram. He also told her to finance part of it, though she could pay cash.
I don't understand it, but there it is.
How far can you push it? Well, if you're worried about audits, your option is just to bend over for them.
My wife takes every opportunity she can to show ranch property on horseback. Guess what gets written off?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Go here for actual costs

This sample shows the ranch losing $42000 on 227 calves.

Click on cow/calf at the top right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Well of course. Reinvest that money or loose it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Owning farmland doesn't make one a farmer.
View Quote

Does the tax code know that? No, not really.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Arthur Godfrey: "I'm proud to pay taxes in the United States; the only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money."

George Sutherland: "The legal right of a taxpayer to decrease the amount of what otherwise would be his taxes, or altogether to avoid them, by means which the law permits, cannot be doubted."
View Quote
-Look at all the Mexicans swarming in lining up for Free Shit.
-Look at all the able bodied idle urban freeloaders.
-Look at all the military equipment they just handed to the Taliban.
-Look at all the Government bastards in DC enriching themselves.

Do you think you OWE them a dime?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The tax guy told my wife she had to spend a bunch of money this year or pay it in taxes. So, she bought a two year old Dodge Ram. He also told her to finance part of it, though she could pay cash.
How far can you push it? Well, if you're worried about audits, your option is just to bend over for them.
My wife takes every opportunity she can to show ranch property on horseback. Guess what gets written off?
View Quote

Do you use the horses for anything else?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Warren and Howard Buffett
View Quote

And Jimmy. Don't forget Jimmy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
-Look at all the Mexicans swarming in lining up for Free Shit.
-Look at all the able bodied idle urban freeloaders.
-Look at all the military equipment they just handed to the Taliban.
-Look at all the Government bastards in DC enriching themselves.

Do you think you OWE them a dime?
View Quote

All those farmers lined up too apparently.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not today, Mr. Tax Man.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All those farmers lined up too apparently.
View Quote

Here are some differences:
-THEY work for a living.
-THEY have a right to be in this country.
-THEY aren't Taliban, or thieving politicians.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a family member who built a beautiful house on a couple dozen acres - he planted a few dozen pine trees and has officially registered his home as a Christmas Tree farm zero maintenance and every 10 years or so (or however long it takes for a pine tree to grow into Christmas tree size)  he hires someone to cut them down and sell them. If he makes a few dollars, great. If he doesn't, then he claims all as a loss. Writes off the new F350 and pays lower tax.

I need enough money to be able to hatch these kind of bullshit schemes up
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Here are some differences:
-THEY work for a living.
-THEY have a right to be in this country.
-THEY aren't Taliban, or thieving politicians.
View Quote

The tax rate should be the tax rate. The way the Dems got taxes as high as they did was by carving out special cases for people so they’d resist attempts to lower taxes of it didn’t preserve some group or individuals favorite subsidy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have 114 acres of mountain side the county taxes as an "vacant farm" or something like that. Please teach me the ways of .gov farm cheese
View Quote
I have three words for you.

Christmas. Tree. Farm.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
haters gonna hate ..... go get you some land and do it too

I know I've never met a "rich" farmer around here.  Just good people getting by actually working their farms.
View Quote

Do you want to know how to make a million dollars farming? Start with two million.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
If you're operating a farm, which generally requires the use of machinery that gets old or worn out over time, why would you prefer to pay taxes when the same money could be used to purchase newer machinery?  There are years where you actually don't make enough money to afford new machinery, so when you do make enough money to afford to buy something, why wouldn't you do that?  

Some folks are in a different situation, but that is how it generally works.  New trucks, etc. work on the same principle.  If it is something I can update, why wouldn't I when it might be several years before I could afford to again?  Farming is just a business that functions similar to anything else.  If you have the choice to pay taxes or invest in the business, you do whichever works better for your needs.

I have known many farmers who buy a lot of new equipment, who had to slow down on their purchases when income dropped and cash got tight.  Older equipment tends to break down more often, and some people prefer to keep rolling through new equipment as often as possible.  Down time is a major issue when farming, so one strategy to address that is to keep new equipment.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
[newspapercat'ishouldbuyanotherfarm']

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#32]
My grampa was a poor farmer all his life, and hated all the racketeering schemes.  My gramma died under a hay wagon, pulling bales, at almost 80.  They never had a spare cent until he sold the farm.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My grampa was a poor farmer all his life, and hated all the racketeering schemes.  My gramma died under a hay wagon, pulling bales, at almost 80.  They never had a spare cent until he sold the farm.
View Quote

Sounds like he left a lot of money on the table and worked far too long. Maybe should have taken some business classes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Now I understand what you're saying.  So let's say I lived on 30 acres and have some apple trees on it.  I should sell those apples each year under an LLC and then write off my night vision that I use to protect my crop?  And the side by side I use to harvest them?  Why didn't I think of this before, I makes so much sense now that you say it, but it never occurred to me before.
View Quote

NOW you're thinking. Ask your richest self-employed friend who their accountant and tax guy are and see if they'll take a meeting with you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That’s fine on a personal level but it’s shit policy for a country. Taxes should be low, but uniformly set so that the government can pick favorites or change your behavior to match their goals any more than is necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You say "tax reduction" like it was a bad thing.

I will not pay a dime in taxes that I can avoid.

That’s fine on a personal level but it’s shit policy for a country. Taxes should be low, but uniformly set so that the government can pick favorites or change your behavior to match their goals any more than is necessary.

"Should" is the most empty, useless word in the English language. You're going to pay taxes or risk jail and asset seizure. Why would you not limit them as much as possible?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a pine tree farm in TN.

1/3 of it is planted pine trees, another 1/3 is farm land I lease out every year, the other 1/3 is for wooded deer/turkey hunting and dirt bike/sidexside trail riding.

I don't pay taxes on anything I purchase for the farm, I get passive income, and value appreciation from land prices increasing and the trees maturing.

I could lease the hunting part out for more passive income, but it's not worth it since I use it for myself and close friends.

Is it a 'good' investment? Not really, due to big upfront cost, but the property has tripled in value since 2006 and gives me a little play money.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's almost like the system is set up to encourage small businesses.

And I hope that continues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wat?

look at the median number......and that is the net profit on the schedule F

So for example, let's say I have a cattle ranch.

I sell enough F1 steers to get a check for $250,000

I have normal expenses for the year like feed, meds, fuckin bull tore up the fence again, fuel, oil, etc. That adds up to $50,000

so now I have a NOI of $200,000. Well looks like I need a new F250 and a new tractor. That's $200,000 section 179 it and thus 0 income.

It's almost like the system is set up to encourage small businesses.

And I hope that continues.

Small farmers are decreasing year by year. And if you think they government encourages small businesses, look again. Unless you are the right TYPE. Then the money faucet is open.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
haters gonna hate ..... go get you some land and do it too

I know I've never met a "rich" farmer around here.  Just good people getting by actually working their farms.
View Quote

Ever notice how people tend to romanticize the things they like or understand? No, you probably don't.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thought it was well known ‘tree farms’ were always a big tax write off.
View Quote

best tree farmer there ever was on this side of the Rockies was Julien Watson.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I know half a dozen guys who have "Farm" tags on their brand new brodozers.

All their trucks are pavement princesses and I guaran-damn-tee you those Blake Shelton looking motherfuckers haven't planted 3 kernels of corn put together.

I don't know what it takes to get your property classified as a "farm" but from what I've seen it's just something the semi-rich do to get extra tax cuts.

They're all the "daddy's money" types who have family businesses that aren't farm related like car dealerships, construction, commercial property development, etc.

View Quote

Sounds highly preferable to actually having to be a farmer. Much respect to them, but they work WAY too hard.

Also, can I get the tax breaks without dressing up like Blake Shelton?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is this really news to anyone?

If you're not a mega farm most of them do it as a hobby to rake in the sweet gov cash, it's just another form of welfare. There's a small subset of boutique farmers market type operations but that's small in comparison
View Quote
Food is a strategic resource, that's why the gov pays them.

If they didn't image the cost of imported food.

And forget about fresh milk and eggs.

My buddy owns a dairy farm and drives a new F350, I see what he does and fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What did he do?   I'm guessing that he was baited by some of the newer members who might fit in a little better at DU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too bad Tactical Garand is in ARFCOM jail. He would have lots of input on this.

What did he do?   I'm guessing that he was baited by some of the newer members who might fit in a little better at DU.

In my perfect world anyone who baits anyone else should not have recourse for the consequences. Real world or virtual.

I got an account warning for telling someone to ask his mom if he needed confirmation I wasn't gay, AFTER he called me a faggot.

The rules around here are starting to resemble a public school staffed by fat 25 year old White chicks who celebrate Kwanzaa.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Disneyworld is listed as agricultural land. Do they grow some stuff and have cattletechnically yes. Is that why they list themselves that way, no. Tax breaks baby.
View Quote
34 acres of my property is in corn and another 19 in state owned pine trees.

Tax breaks are awesome.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We have two farms that are leased for farm, ranch and wind power. I married into it and am not involved but it seems like a huge scam. It makes maybe a little money yet shows as a loss. There’s a rent house involved and maybe 1100 acres. The government pays the farm, the farm pays the government, and we cut a big check to the accountants every year.

Only time it seemed like an honest deal is when we had it leased for oil exploration.
View Quote

They should pay more taxes on purpose? Because the money would be so well spent?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Don't forget that thermal and night vision to protect the crops and livestock. It's a vital expense.
View Quote

Does your land get a lot of sun on the rock faces? Biden might well legalize weed federally if the election looks iffy. If your state's into that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What's wrong with having some land and using it as a tax shelter?

Fuck the thieving government and their relentless taxation of everything.

They created these tax havens, they can fuck off.

View Quote

Never said it was wrong...you must have missed my post where I said I wanted to do it also
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#47]

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Good for them.

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have 114 acres of mountain side the county taxes as an "vacant farm" or something like that. Please teach me the ways of .gov farm cheese
View Quote

@maddmatt?

You lease it to hunt?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
usually you got to be able to sell your harvest  i n order to qualify for farm status property tax exemptions.

not sure if you just need to show revenues or need to be profitable too
View Quote

I am sure I can get top dollar for my casa banananas
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top