Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What did those chickens know about the Clintons?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the same problem.  Only there's evidence - edit: a few feathers and a broken trail of sparse feathers.  My flock kept getting hit anywhere between 1pm - 6pm. Even though radio was on fairly loud.
They are safe in coop at night.

Trail cam got one daytime pic - otherwise they are out at night.  The woods are super dense here, Coyotes have a network of " tunnels " in the low brush.

If you are out for a revenge shot, you may wanna hunt, like you're out for coyotes.

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
FOX

Foxes snatch the chickens and run off with chickens or ducks into woods/brush
Foxes strike anytime and are very sly.
I watched one fox (recording on my security cam system) herd/push my chickens around house, then run all the other way around the  house and sneak up behind and grab a chicken and run into woods.
Hawks come down, strangle them and then pick them apart and leave a mess.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Both owls and hawks are both protected. Big money taking one of those.  

Get nets.

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Suspect #1 might be the OP's neighbor

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Lol

Now you did it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You need to invest in some poultry netting to put over the top of the fenced in area.  I found some on ebay at a reasonable price.
View Quote
Exactly!

At least it will help diagnose the issue...
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#8]
All native North American raptors are federally protected under the Migratory Bird Act, some are further protected as endangered species.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have lost quite a few since i started raising poultry and learned a couple tricks, and hopefully some may help you.

Everything is raising young this time of year, so its tough.

Losing 1 chicken a day is quite a high number though and there is a couple things you could do.

To deter Birds of prey, especially hawks, hang old cds, dvds, on strings and place them around the coops so they can move and rotate freely. Dont ask me how it works, but it does.

Your fence is way to short. I have 10 foot 4x4s around my chicken run and was still having problems with predators getting in.
What type of fencing do you have around your run?

Poultry fence is worthless and only good at keeping poultry in(half the time). Worthless to keep anything out.
I use welded wire and have found it stronger and inexpensive. I also buried it 4 inches at the base of my 4x4s to prevent digging under the fence.
Something to keep in mind.

I used old tennis netting to put over the top of the run, usually cheaper than poultry netting, but the holes are usually bigger depending on the type you use.

Any hot wire?
Electric fence is cheap and you can usually find an old energizer cheap.
Try running a few strands around your run.
One wire 5-6" off the ground and another at the top. It will keep coons, opossums and anything else than wants to climb your fence out.

Mow around coop out to the treeline and keep it free of debris. Less cover for predators to use to sneak up on poultry.

You could put an old radio out by coop. Turn it on to talk radio and let it play all night.
Most animals will avoid the area. Animals will get use to it though so a couple night on, couple nights off. Switch up and rotate times its playing.

Piss all around your coop when your outside. Piss on the fence posts, on the gate, on the coop, piss on everything. Spread your scent around. More effective than you think.

My recommendations with how your run sits now is:

1. Hang cds or dvd, or shiny objects around coop to detour BoP.

2. Run hot wire around coop.

3. Mow

4. Add radio

When you can:

1. Make run fence higher

2. Add poultry netting

3. Better fencing

Good luck in your quest.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Both coyote and fox can kill without leaving sign, but your situation sounds like a BoP.

Especially if the ground is wet and there are no prints in the mud.

That, or someone is stealing your chickens
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Punji pits and flak cannons.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Got you an owl
View Quote
Yep^^^
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Okay, I stayed on the stand until dusk then put up the birds in the pen, no sightings of any kind, bird or ground predator.

I'm going to look into poultry netting. The pen itself is 48" livestock fence, the pen was originally for my deceased goats. Never had problems with coyotes and the fence, last year's massacre was due to my idiot stepson leaving the coop open for a week while we were gone. As long as we close the coop door at dusk, small predators like the coons, possums, etc pretty much left the birds alone.

I've seen ONE set of tracks that didn't belong--dog-like paw prints about 1 1/2" wide, about half the size of my mutt and a third the size of my Great Dane. It was in the mud down trail from the pen the day we lost the first gen. Since then, no tracks. I'm going to reposition the game cam and see if there's anything on foot outside the pen at night.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I have that same chicken house
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#15]
The owl that got my last chicken was tearing it to shreds in the front yard it had its head and spine off like sub zero from mortal combat
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had foxes that would hit in the daylight and take just one chicken per day every day. But your track sounds like a coyote.
Be sure to bait the gamecam to make sure the animal gets right in front of it.

Also, I like to take a rake and create huge track traps. A stiff rake covers a hell of a lot of ground quick.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Col. Sanders should be given a pretty good look, if you know what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Col. Sanders should be given a pretty good look, if you know what I'm saying.
View Quote
What round for Col Sanders? Lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@iasc300ia

#JusticeForFelipe
View Quote

That thread was classic.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]
We had an owl attempt to fly off with an overweight Mallard hen one evening.  
It failed, but we learned not all threats to the ducks were coons and dogs.

Although it was dogs that finally got them all.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@iasc300ia

#JusticeForFelipe
View Quote
Just about the funniest thread ever
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've seen ONE set of tracks that didn't belong--dog-like paw prints about 1 1/2" wide, about half the size of my mutt and a third the size of my Great Dane. It was in the mud down trail from the pen the day we lost the first gen. Since then, no tracks. I'm going to reposition the game cam and see if there's anything on foot outside the pen at night.
View Quote
Sounds like coyotes to me. Around here, the packs tend to move year to year. We were surrounded one year. This year nada. One year, 10 hens and a rooster disappeared and I figured it was coyote-pocalypse for them. A few days later, I saw the rooster post up on the treeline near the coop and send his harem back to the coop in fire team rushes while he covered All I could figure was that they went foraging, got lost, and then found a safe place to hole up til they figured out how to get back. It was weird.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#23]
The cleverness and resourcefulness of predators that hunt for a living can be amazing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Raptor.
View Quote
Correct.

I lost many chickens to this before I figured it out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

(snip)

Any hot wire?
Electric fence is cheap and you can usually find an old energizer cheap.
Try running a few strands around your run.
One wire 5-6" off the ground and another at the top.
It will keep coons, opossums and anything else than wants to climb your fence out.

Piss all around your coop when your outside. Piss on the fence posts, on the gate, on the coop, piss on everything. Spread your scent around. More effective than you think.

My recommendations with how your run sits now is:

1. Hang cds or dvd, or shiny objects around coop to detour BoP.

2. Run hot wire around coop.And DONT piss on it

3. Mow

4. Add radio

When you can:

1. Make run fence higher

2. Add poultry netting

3. Better fencing

Good luck in your quest.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#26]
We lost three - one a day for three days last week.  We put them in at night and they free range during the day.  I knew they were disappearing between 4:00 pm and when we closed the coop doors for the night.  Found feathers in three spots along the outer perimeter of their free range area, close to cover.  I sat and waited on the fourth day and shot the coyote as it was stalking through the cover about twenty minutes before sunset.  We have not lost any hens since.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Probably The Hound.  He's gonna have to eat all those fucking chickens.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We lost three - one a day for three days last week.  We put them in at night and they free range during the day.  I knew they were disappearing between 4:00 pm and when we closed the coop doors for the night.  Found feathers in three spots along the outer perimeter of their free range area, close to cover.  I sat and waited on the fourth day and shot the coyote as it was stalking through the cover about twenty minutes before sunset.  We have not lost any hens since.
View Quote
Good shoot!

What did you kill him with?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Probably The Hound.  He's gonna have to eat all those fucking chickens.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#30]
LOL!  He's my spirit animal!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pretty sure owls are protected in all 50 states.

You just blew the third part of SSS.

Training your chickens to stay out of that area would probably be a whole lot less expensive than taking out an owl.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suspected an owl or hawk but in the past they'd land on top of a bird, kill it and tear the fuck out of it right there, eat and then fly away, leaving a lot of carcass behind.  Owl would be closer to dusk, I should think. Time to break out the 12 gauge.
Pretty sure owls are protected in all 50 states.

You just blew the third part of SSS.

Training your chickens to stay out of that area would probably be a whole lot less expensive than taking out an owl.
most states having a livestock clause...that allows younto protect your property.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good shoot!

What did you kill him with?
View Quote
243 Winchester at about 130 yards.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#33]
fox, coyote, babcat. taking it back to the den to feed their young
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Hawks. I saw one pick up one of my big hens and fly off with her in broad daylight. Happened so fast I couldn't react.  No evidence left. Freaked me out as I didn't know they could pickup such a big bird on the fly. My dog has since learned on his own to go after anything big flying in the vicinity of the chickens.  As soon as he sees a hawk, eagle, buzzard or anything else like that he starts running like crazy and barking. Not sure how or why he learned this. Have never lost another chicken since that one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Need to knock that brush back a bit. Charlie can sneak right up the the wire.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Father in laws chickens were being taken by hawks.  Tazwell,TN.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Had the same problem. Saw a commotion middle of one afternoon and walked out to see Mr Babcat slowly turn and walk back and jump over the 4" fence headed to the back .40.

It slowly paralleled the fence a few yards into the woods.  Saw it cross every break in the trees as I calmly made my way to the shed.

When it popped out into my neighbor's yard, I put a .177 pellet in it's ass and it was gone.  Definitely not enough gun, but it hasn't been back.

Plenty of wet dirt for tracks, but it never left any sign other than a few small feather piles.  I was sure it was a hawk.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

We had a yote pulling some bandit shit on our birds.  Was sneaking along the side of the barn and nabbing them.

Posted up with ye ole 11-87 and some #4.  Father in law was covering the other approach.  Yote did not survive initial contact.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Owls get the big jack rabbits here, I suspect they also go for kittens when the neighbor brings them home and lets them run around outside.  Find owl pellets once in a while.

Owls here are very large, at least the size of a vulture if not larger.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Better hope it's not an eagle
View Quote
Why? They taste kinda like manatee.
So I'm told. 
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Nibbler.

Or maybe El Chupanibre....
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Smear mud on the chickens and setup a deadfall trap.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Better be a good shot if you think you are taking out a hawk.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing, might want to switch to bird shot
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#44]
My biggest daytime attacks, where more than one bird disappeared, were foxes. They run off and hide their kill, then come back for more.

Here's one where I heard the attack in the front yard, opened my window and fired through the screen with a shotgun;
Attachment Attached File

This one was attacking on the trail behind the house, and just after opening the back door I saw it pouncing on a hen. Got it from standing in the doorway;
Attachment Attached File

Here's one I got on trail cam, just before it killed my rooster.
Attachment Attached File

I've had Bobcat attacks too, but they usually grab one and disappear for a week.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm in FL so I've lost birds to just about anything you can imagine.

Hawk will usually leave a mess as mentioned but an eagle or owl will be in and out in the blink of an eye.

Golden Eagle took one of mine this year while I watching them. Damn loud thud when he hit the bird then gone without a trace. Sounded like she was hit with a baseball bat!
View Quote
where was this? I saw a golden Eagle take a jack Russel in collier county off oil well road
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#46]
12 gauge. This will be an air assault
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Better be a good shot if you think you are taking out a hawk.
View Quote
Just remember birds of prey are FEDERALLY protected.
Don't lose your gun rights over dead chickens.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd put money on an OWL - unless you have frequent eagles in your AO.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#49]
In for the trophy pic.

Please edit title when trophy is taken.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Lost another one between 4pm and now. Strung old CD's up as someone else suggested. Ordered poultry netting this morning. Shit. It was my daughter's  barred rock hen. Only three eggs today, they're definitely off their normal laying habits. Goddamnit.

Edit: found fucking tracks of whatever it is.

Attachment Attached File

They're maybe an inch and a half wide, two inches front to back at most. Not my dags.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top