Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/8/2023 2:13:46 PM EDT

Renovation costs were first estimated at $10 million but soon ballooned to $40 million
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
As a kid, I'm sure it's awesome. As an adult, I was very underwhelmed. Taco bell is better food, and there weren't no damn cliff divers!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Denver's Lakewood District.  I don't go to Denver.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I wanna go
Quoted:
View Quote

But that is a problem.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not unless I'm in cuffs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a kid, I'm sure it's awesome. As an adult, I was very underwhelmed. Taco bell is better food, and there weren't no damn cliff divers!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to the article the food should be better.

The food has also been drastically improved. Before its closure the restaurant had earned the nickname 'Casa no-eata' because of the state of it culinary efforts.

Dana Rodriguez, a six-time James Beard Award nominee, has taken over as the new executive chef.

Ms. Rodriguez immigrated from Chihuahua, Mexico, in 1998, and applied for her first job at Casa Bonita but was rejected for being underqualified.

She went on to establish and own several celebrated restaurants, including Work & Class, in Denver, and has her own Tequila brand Doña Loca.

When she heard that Casa Bonita might reopen under new ownership, she applied for the top job in 2021. 'Now am I qualified?' she said she had asked.

Now with her own staff of 110 she will oversee the menu for what will be one of the world's largest Mexican restaurants.

Each night one hundred and ninety-eight gallons of mole sauce will be made for the chicken, alongside enchiladas with red and green sauce, green chile-braised brisket, and chile relleno.

Pricing has not yet been set for the menu but more than 100,000 potential customers have already signed up on the restaurant’s website to make a reservation, Mr. Stone said.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be there this fall
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
$40 million?  That's a mind blowing amount of money to invest in a strip mall restaurant two doors down from a Dollar Tree store.

Still, those guys are absolute legends for doing it.  I bet it's going to be pretty awesome when it opens.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Each night one hundred and ninety-eight gallons of mole sauce will be made for the chicken
View Quote

Damn. That's either a dream come true - or a total nightmare.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Went there years ago just to say I did.

Food sucked but it was fun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#14]
The best thing about Casa Bonita was that it was relatively affordable.
Good to see it revived, but…
Can’t wait to see the new pricing.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Trey Parker is worth 600 million.

Matt Stone is worth 700 million.

They can afford it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Casa Bonita: Worth losing all your friends, endung up in juvey, and having EVERYONE hate you!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I predict an episode on south park of the reopening
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
$40 million?  That's a mind blowing amount of money to invest in a strip mall restaurant two doors down from a Dollar Tree store.

Still, those guys are absolute legends for doing it.  I bet it's going to be pretty awesome when it opens.
View Quote

I'm willing to bet they don't care that much about it as an investment. They're super rich and this is an obvious passion project.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Casa Bonita…Casa Bonita…
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I grew up in Golden, CO was going to Casa Bonita before it was cool.

Glad to see it revived. Someday if I make it back to the Golden area I'll go check it out.

The margaritas were always good.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I want to go just because of South Park.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#22]
They've already put it out that it will be posted gun free. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck yes. Went there a while ago

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Fake news @texashomeserver  It’s not open yet.

It’s been opening for a few months now and was supposed to open in May. It didn’t.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not towards the end.

I first went in the early 2000s. Don’t remember the prices but it was terrible food. I went again around 2019, prices were ~$18 for a tray of cafeteria slop tasting worse than my first visit.

I’ll go again. Hoping it isn’t terrible.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're damn near billionaires. They definitely are combined.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I want to go just because of South Park.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's a lot to do there when you're dead.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not towards the end.

I first went in the early 2000s. Don’t remember the prices but it was terrible food. I went again around 2019, prices were ~$18 for a tray of cafeteria slop tasting worse than my first visit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not towards the end.

It'd be inconceivable to me that they'd sink $40 million into it and not dramatically improve the food upon re-opening.

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I heard there is treasure.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I'm not saying they can't afford it.  I'm just saying it's a mind blowing amount of money for a strip mall restaurant.  It's a mind blowing amount of money for any restaurant really.

I'm all about it though.  I think it's cool as hell.  I'm definitely going to try and go next time I'm in Denver and can plan a reservation far ahead enough.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Will go next time I’m in town. Legendary!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#33]
So this place was a pillar of my childhood memories, many from a tender age while living in lakewood. My parents and extended family would all gather to hang out there for holloween. While us impressionable cousins would be scared shitless while spelunking the cave on heavily sweetened sopaipilla highs
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Good for them. From the sound of it, they improved the menu as well.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#36]
...I didn’t realize this was an actual place.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It'd be inconceivable to me that they'd sink $40 million into it and not dramatically improve the food upon re-opening.

View Quote

And you are correct:
Casa Bonita Partners With Acclaimed Denver Chef & Restaurateur Dana Rodriguez
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Had one in Tulsa as a kid, it was awesome.  

I remember raising that damn flag and filling those things completely full of honey.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Again? I thought they did this like a decade ago...
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

They signed a 900 million dollar deal within the past couple of years.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Still smarter than the two billion dollars wasted on the Star Wars hotel at Dizzyland.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There's a lot to do there when you're dead.
View Quote

BUCKWHEATS
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not unless I'm in cuffs.
View Quote

That's for after you lock your friend in a bomb shelter after convincing him the world is ending, so you can take his place at your other friends birthday party.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh, I'm not saying they can't afford it.  I'm just saying it's a mind blowing amount of money for a strip mall restaurant.  It's a mind blowing amount of money for any restaurant really.

I'm all about it though.  I think it's cool as hell.  I'm definitely going to try and go next time I'm in Denver and can plan a reservation far ahead enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it isn't a restaurant investment - it's preserving and sharing childhood memories
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The food has also been drastically improved. Before its closure the restaurant had earned the nickname 'Casa no-eata' because of the state of it culinary efforts.

Dana Rodriguez, a six-time James Beard Award nominee, has taken over as the new executive chef.

Ms. Rodriguez immigrated from Chihuahua, Mexico, in 1998, and applied for her first job at Casa Bonita but was rejected for being underqualified.

She went on to establish and own several celebrated restaurants, including Work & Class, in Denver, and has her own Tequila brand Doña Loca.

When she heard that Casa Bonita might reopen under new ownership, she applied for the top job in 2021. 'Now am I qualified?' she said she had asked.

Now with her own staff of 110 she will oversee the menu for what will be one of the world's largest Mexican restaurants.

Each night one hundred and ninety-eight gallons of mole sauce will be made for the chicken, alongside enchiladas with red and green sauce, green chile-braised brisket, and chile relleno.

Pricing has not yet been set for the menu but more than 100,000 potential customers have already signed up on the restaurant’s website to make a reservation, Mr. Stone said.

Well damn. Now I'm pissed they didn't do it before I left Demver!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#47]
A few weeks back, they had a newsletter out about opening soon. They requested people send in their favorite memories.  I told them about my best memory:  my daughter had her 10th birthday party there.  Visited Black Barts Cave, saw the cliff divers, etc. As we were leaving, my daughter threw up all over the parking lot. I will remember that forever..

It was a fun thing to do when we lived there, although it was pretty run down and bad food even 10 years ago. I'd love to go back and see what they did with the place.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#48]
And besides the construction which is ending, they are hiring a whole lot of people.

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advertising in South Park and around South Park will generate income for them.  Selling merchandise.  Being an attraction. Doing events there.  

It will be in the black.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Was this an actual place before or after the south park episode years ago?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top