Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Open seating is what makes them unique. This is foolish.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Space-A FTMFW
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I liked the cattle call. It would almost guarantee me that I would not have to sit next to another big guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry to hear this. I fly them almost exclusively and always pay for the early boarding.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

^ This.

Southwest takes 20 minute to board because of the open seating.  Everyone else takes 45 minutes or more.  Now there is no real advantage to flying with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This.

Southwest takes 20 minute to board because of the open seating.  Everyone else takes 45 minutes or more.  Now there is no real advantage to flying with them.

Yup, that's been my experience too, far faster.

Customer service has always been pretty decent too. One time my bag flew on without me and I had to pick it up the next day. They gave me $200 credit for my trouble which made my roundtrip nearly half off.

But this change to assigned seating seems like this the first step of whatever corporatist bean counters they hired to make them more money while destroying whatever customer service they have left. Essentially turning them into American Airlines 2.0

Not a good move.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you can sleep on an airplane that is truly a gift.  I wish I could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fly whatever is cheap. Usually southwest.  I fall asleep before the plane takes off and wake up when it lands.  No need to wast money

Lol. I could sleep in an AMTRAC. Nap on the way out, nap on the way in, wake up long enough to run down the ramp yelling BANG BANG BANG and flop onto the sand. Rinse. Repeat.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bose QC headphones for the win
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
its cheap and they have a perfect safety record. they have never had a death.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's a PITA if you are flying as a group.
View Quote
i use to be a-list preferred and i see so many dumb fucks that don't know their A, B, C and 1-60, then all the assholes that abuse the pre-boarding
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d rather see them charge 2 seats for obese people. And the pre-board shenanigans have got to go. Sure they’ll get some heat over it from the social justice warriors but who cares. They’ll turn jets faster, make more money, and have happy paying customers. I know it won’t happen but a guy can dream….
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I only fly private.  Mostly into Aspen for the winter at my 8000sft log cabin or my summer house in Hilton Head on the shoreline.
View Quote

It's a nice place.  The beer flows like wine, and the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Probably too many people faking handicaps to board first
View Quote

Yup.

A friend is an A&P and noticed a pre-board woman in a wheelchair had taken an exit row seat.  He pointed out to the FA that, by law, a person unable to assist with an evacuation can not sit in an exit row.

Preboarded got moved and was not happy.  

Same pre-boarder also deplaned at the destination without needed a wheelchair.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank God.

The stupid seating was complete shit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I flew on them a few times. On one trip, I had a really low A number, so I was going to get a front seat.  Low and behold, they had some folks pull up on wheelchairs that go to get on first.  Well, one guy in a wheelchair was definitely not well.  Young guy, and he was mentally challenged, as it were.  Well, the phony wheelchair people jumped in those seats up front, and the young guy was up there with them.  I went back to one of the exit row seats, so it was cool.  When we landed, I noticed that all the people up front were blessed with the young guy's dirty diaper stinking up the entire front end of the aircraft.  The look on their faces was priceless.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's a nice place.  The beer flows like wine, and the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only fly private.  Mostly into Aspen for the winter at my 8000sft log cabin or my summer house in Hilton Head on the shoreline.

It's spelled, "Aspin."
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
At least they could is bring back the Lizard Lounges and do away with drink limits on flights.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree. I shifted over to SWA after I kept getting stuck sitting next a baby that screened the whole 3 1/2 hours on flights from Texas to the Northeast sea board.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree, and it sounds like they're doing a hybrid approach.   The zone seating makes no sense if you're just picking between 50 different middle seats.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They will upgrade their computer systems and migrate away from Windows 3.1.

Southwest was the only airline flying last Friday morning when the blue screen of death meltdown happened

I'll never fly Southwest again after experiencing their boarding procedure. Delta is the way..
View Quote

I had to Google that; would've been kinda cool if true. Sounds like it was just a troll someone started:

No, Southwest Airlines Isn't Using Windows 3.1 In 2024
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have to fly often any longer, but in a previous job I was on a flight at least 4x per month.  I tried to fly SW exclusively.  I LOVE their open seating policy.  If you fly one airline often enough, you get status; I was always in the first 15 people to board the aircraft, and I always grabbed the first row window seat, starboard side.  There was always an option to pay $30ish to get bumped up to the A-Group; far less expensive than any other airline.  Anytime I was forced to fly another carrier, I hated it; they take 2x the time to board as SW...it's idiotic.

This is a horrible decision on SW's part...it will absolutely increase boarding times.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Time to pickup a Delta Amex I guess..

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#22]

That’s nothing!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
I bet that smelled amazing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is false.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bet that smelled amazing.
View Quote

Nothing a couple thousand gallons of Lume can't fix.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That is false.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is false.

They had a lady sucked halfway out a window who died .

cfm issue with a fan blade but still Southwest.

they also killed a kid in Midway (Chicago) but I guess he was not on the plane .
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yup.

A friend is an A&P and noticed a pre-board woman in a wheelchair had taken an exit row seat.  He pointed out to the FA that, by law, a person unable to assist with an evacuation can not sit in an exit row.

Preboarded got moved and was not happy.  

Same pre-boarder also deplaned at the destination without needed a wheelchair.
View Quote

That’s where the term “Miracle Flights” came from.  People that board needing a wheelchair are miraculously cured to the point they don’t need the wheelchair by the time they land.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

^ This.

View Quote

I fly to Europe and back on 767 or 787s every month.  The flights are usually full or close to it.  45 minutes?  Not a chance.

Southwest is the Wal-Mart of the air.  I'm not sure if these changes will change that or not but I don't care because they're fucking horrible compared to the experience of the lowest earned status level at any of the big 3.

The advantages to Southwest were always that if you had zero airline status you had an okay chance at a decent seat by paying up for the early boarding.  Plus they have generous flight change policies.  Compared to flying on the Big 3 without any status they're okay for casual flyers.

The disadvantage is the typical Southwest flyer looks like they belong in a zoo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you have a different definition of "perfect safety record" than the rest of the world.

Not only this...
Harrowing details released on Southwest flight where woman was partially sucked out window, killed

...but have you not seen the 3 or 4 or 5 close calls SWA has had recently that initial reports show are nearly entirely crew error?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Their open seating led to a coworker getting into an argument with another passenger. He was drunk. He got tossed, and was not allowed on to fly on Southwest again. He had to pay his own way to monthly meetings for the next 2+ years. He was only able to expense the price paid per for the rest of us, he had to rent cars because he usually arrived at way different times if he flew. He wound up driving most of the time. Dallas to the HQ location in Houston was 4.5 to 6+ hours, depending on traffic. LOL. He was someone who could not hold his alcohol.
View Quote

Uh...
Your coworker's problem was NOT open seating.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Good to hear.  I always hated the free for all and many times my family would be scattered throughout the plane as only single seats would be left by the time we boarded.  That factored in with pricing when we were looking at flights.  I like being able to book us in a whole row and knowing that we'll all be sitting together.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I love the cattle call! My only change is that if you need to pre board, because otherwise you would be in the way and slow things down, then you should have to remain seated after landing until every able bodied person has deplaned.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#33]
The fee to upgrade to A group boarding is cheaper than the bag fee on other airlines.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I only fly Braniff.
View Quote

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Uh...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their open seating led to a coworker getting into an argument with another passenger. He was drunk. He got tossed, and was not allowed on to fly on Southwest again. He had to pay his own way to monthly meetings for the next 2+ years. He was only able to expense the price paid per for the rest of us, he had to rent cars because he usually arrived at way different times if he flew. He wound up driving most of the time. Dallas to the HQ location in Houston was 4.5 to 6+ hours, depending on traffic. LOL. He was someone who could not hold his alcohol.

Uh...

Ya think?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

6 hours????? No wonder your company forces you to fly SWA, if you can't figure out how to drive to  DFW to HOU in 3 hours, you deserve to fly SWA.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would love to see the statistics for how many less people need wheelchairs to board after the change.
View Quote

The answer to that was always there. Every flight must be a miracle healing flight, cause every one seemed to get up and walk like normal when it was time to leave.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Cripples, gimps and tards should not be allowed on regular flights. If you can't get off and on under your own power you are a danger to yourself and others in an emergency.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What are all those people needing wheelchairs to get on first, sit up front, and miraculously healed during the flight going to do now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably too many people faking handicaps to board first

What are all those people needing wheelchairs to get on first, sit up front, and miraculously healed during the flight going to do now?

Ah yes, Jetway Jesus heals all infirmities on SWA! Those and the seat savers were the bane of people following the unwritten rules of SW boarding and common decency.

I can see how SW figured out they were losing $ selling upgraded boarding, when 1/3 of the plane would either preboard with some "condition", or alternately would buy a single upgraded boarding pass for their party of 3 or more, then proceed to throw blankets and bags down to save entire rows until their traveling companions got on in the C group.

It's only gotten worse since everyone is on TikTok, YT, etc are sharing these cheats as "travel hacks".

If you want a infuriating example of the culture that's ruined honor-systems like this, read this Reddit thread. Summary - I need to board before everyone and get a very specific seat on the plane (window over the wing) because I have PTSD due to domestic violence, "sensory issues", IBS (so I have to sit furthest from the bathroom ), and get anxiety flying (don't many people?) In short, I'm practically incapable of existing without special treatment, so get behind me normies.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I loved their open seating, so the only thing that'll keep me flying them is the free checked baggage. Whenever that goes the way of the dodo, I'm done and will switch to some other airline.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I had to fly SW when working out of Tucson. It's a disgusting airline which showcases the ugly side of humanity.  Airline travel here in the US has become nothing more than an expensive bus ride but Southwest takes shitty travel to another level.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had to fly SW when working out of Tucson. It's a disgusting airline which showcases the ugly side of humanity.  Airline travel here in the US has become nothing more than an expensive bus ride but Southwest takes shitty travel to another level.
View Quote

No matter how bad flying is, it hasn't gotten to actual Greyhound levels yet.

I Spent 5 DAYS on America's Longest Greyhound Bus. It Was HELL.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I liked the cattle call. It would almost guarantee me that I would not have to sit next to another big guy.
View Quote

This, pick your poison in real time vs gamble.

I bet bag fees will be next year's fuckery.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go be poor somewhere else.

Jackson Hole and Nantucket are the new hot spots.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Guess I'm in the super monority as I've never flown southwest. I know a few that take them often for short hops for business. An hour or two. Just from the crap they tell me is enough to make me not interested.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

When did you last fly Spirit?

That is where the real ugly flies.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Open seating and 2 free bags keep us on Southwest. We usually only upgrade myself to A seating for our family of three, and I find a nice row on the center wing section of the plane. I sit in the middle and haven't ever had to give a dirty look to anyone. I flew Airtran previous to this and loved their $25-50 business class bumps.
We tried to fly Breeze (JetBlue founder started it) recently, but their flight times and frequency suck.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The disadvantage is the typical Southwest flyer looks like they belong in a zoo.
View Quote

Have you never been near a Frontier or Spirit gate?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No more fight club?
View Quote

No, Spirit is still in business.

On topic: SWA agents were always awesome to me when I jumpseated. The old school cockpit and cabin crews were amazing, too. I commuted on SWA on and off throughout my career.

Somewhere about 15 years ago, they started hiring the same type of pilots that AA had hired prior to ‘08. It changed the character of the group. Sad…
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No matter how bad flying is, it hasn't gotten to actual Greyhound levels yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8QGTaGwxxc
View Quote
Book a flight out of MCO on Spirit or Frontier and get back to us about that. That's typically where all of the videos are filmed.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top