Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2012 8:51:50 AM EDT
Just a heads up guys. No notices given. Guess it has already started. The big eared monkey and his chronies would have a shit fit if this happened outside of the contracting world. I guess it is okay for the middle class to get the shaft because they aren't union jobs and he hates contractors.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/29/admin-to-pay-legal-fees-for-contractors-that-dont-issue-sequestration-warnings/
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
"For the second time, the Obama administration has now encouraged government contractors to ignore the WARN Act and hold off on warning employees about possible layoffs due to the looming sequestration cuts,” Thune, lead author of the Sequestration Transparency Act, said Friday.

Dont tell and dont ask?
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
We are on the precipice of the greatest collapse ever known to man.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Nah. Just print more money and give it to our fellow muslim brothers that are peaceful and non-violent. It's just a few radicals that want us killed;)
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Im seeing everything from 6.3-6.7 funding being HACKED apart.  Its not even funny anymore and the services are reporting on the degradation in operational readiness and no one wants to listen!

This is bad news all around.  Expect pink badgers to get a small cut, then the white badgers will get HAMMERED down through reduction in force, then another round of contractor pink badge cuts.  

What field are you in?  cleared?

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nah. Just print more money and give it to our fellow muslim brothers that are peaceful and non-violent. It's just a few radicals that want us killed;)

There comes a time when  money has been over printed, that it becomes useful only to wipe ones ass.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
If this thread rolls for a while I will spill the beans and offer some insight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Gonna be weird working for regular un-inflated wages again huh? Thank god you guys put all that money away.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Poor contractors

Will be hard to live without that tax payer funded paycheck
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gonna be weird working for regular un-inflated wages again huh? Thank god you guys put all that money away.

I never saw the non-Union people I know who are contractors getting over payed.  They worked hard for years in degrees in Engineering and have very hard work day to day.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Certainly not over-paid. Everyone ASSUMES the overpaid part. Minimum pay is the average pay of the specifc job in your area. And all you get is the minimum. I would love to have the cushy job with inflated pay buit it ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Huh. Don't tell and don't ask.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]
In for the fapping over evil .gov contractors losing their jobs.

If, IF it would change anything wrt .gov spending I would be happy to give up my career and pursue a new one. But it will not change a thing, any "savings" recognized will simply be diverted to the free shit army.

But I will roll with the punches, move out and draw fire no matter what happens.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Poor contractors

It is not like the government can or will do the work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Curious to see exactly what you are talking about.

In theory, contractors SHOULD be a cheaper, better way to get shit done versus the govt trying to do it in house.

However, with all the set-asides, corruption, political favoritism and such, it doesn't seem to go that way.

I know some people who do state projects as contractors, the bid process is downright criminal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Poor contractors

"Quoted:
Gonna be weird working for regular un-inflated wages again huh? Thank god you guys put all that money away."

While this may be true in some cases it is certainly not true in all or probably even the majority of cases.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#16]
There's the contractors that save the state money and then there's the contractors that get kickbacks, fat contracts, and fraudulent bids.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Poor contractors

Tell me, who the fuck else you think is going to support the .gov for the services is asks for?

More .gov employees?

Yeah, fuck those fucks who actually work every day, vote, and pay taxes.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's the contractors that save the state money and then there's the contractors that get kickbacks, fat contracts, and fraudulent bids.

I don't know many tha pull it off, long term. Most KOs want to stay out of prison.  The worst case I am aware of is a contractor (Sky Research) working for the USACE in Omaha. Several people are going to prison over that one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sikorsky just announced the closing of their Helicopter Completions Center here last week, 575 jobs gone. It got the attention of Schmuckie Schumer who said he was taking it to The One. I guess this is what they came up with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#20]
maybe we can all split the 450 mil the asshole in chief wants to give to his Egyptian brethren.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do tell...

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#22]
And the serious shit like this, and many other degradations of our military will not even be broached during the debates.

It will be one pro-communist talking point after the next at the direction of the communist accomplices "moderating" the debates. I dont understand how this is allowed.

The RNC is fucking incompetent for not demanding that the moderators are actually neutral.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Virginia is one of the swing states this year. Obama doesn't want all the defense contractors to state the obvious before election day.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor contractors

Tell me, who the fuck else you think is going to support the .gov for the services is asks for?  

More .gov employees?

True dat yo! Maybe some guy that lacks the training necessary to do the job will do my job.

Just think when on a mission and your life is in some jackasses hands that doesn't know the difference between a 1 15/16 wrench and a 15/16 wrench. True story right there. Yep trained by Uncle Sam's finest he was. A million other stories to go with it. When we asked the troops who they wanted working on their stuff they point the finger at us and say you. We know it will be done right. True story there also.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor contractors

More .gov employees?

True dat yo! Maybe some guy that lacks the training necessary to do the job will do my job.

Just think when on a mission and your life is in some jackasses hands that doesn't know the difference between a 1 15/16 wrench and a 15/16 wrench. True story right there. Yep trained by Uncle Sam's finest he was. A million other stories to go with it. When we asked the troops who they wanted working on their stuff they point the finger at us and say you. We know it will be done right. True story there also.

I think reliance on civilian contractors for everything short of shooting (most times) is one of the reigning causes of useless soldiers and Commanders. It will be good to force them to return to self reliance and hopefully improve maintenance and sustainability. Commanders will actually have to start giving time and thought into training these things.

It will either improve the .mil, or accelerate it falling apart. I'm okay with either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
maybe we can all split the 450 mil the asshole in chief wants to give to his Egyptian brethren.

Are you a moslem?
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poor contractors

More .gov employees?

I think reliance on civilian contractors for everything short of shooting (most times) is one of the reigning causes of useless soldiers and Commanders. It will be good to force them to return to self reliance and hopefully improve maintenance and sustainability. Commanders will actually have to start giving time and thought into training these things.

It will either improve the .mil, or accelerate it falling apart. I'm okay with either.

These contractors are also Raytheon, Boeing, Lockheed and Northrop, who build all that neat stuff the military likes to play with.  The gov is unable to take over these services including maintenance and and further building new products and have always relied on the civilian work force for these tasks.

Just sweep the massive layoffs under the carpet.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuckobama.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep soldiers are already back at the gates

Soon the maint shops will be empty, and alot of the admin stuff is contracted also.

I don't see the oversea stuff going away overnight, but their days are numbered.

We are all going to be sucking soon, and its no surprise that they are trying to hold of on the planed massive cuts until
After the election.

Free

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't you dare speak badly of the greatest president the world has ever know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#31]
It is somehow ironic and confusing watching the dimwits lead by the "one"  dismantle the very economic engine that supports the entitlement programs that buys them their votes.  

OH well, I guess when you can just print more money you don't need an economic engine anymore.      

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor contractors

More .gov employees?

The reigning causes of useless soldiers and commanders is lack of accountability and the buddy system. Just because they have a 'tificate doesn't mean they know their shit. Test them and you will see. This from a member here.

That menatlity has gotten others hurt and killed.My nephew served in Iraq back in 2003 to 2005 he said the "too much oil" is bad mentality reached the motor pool where some mechanics werent filling crank cases with oil becasue of the oil attracts dirt thinking and many vehicles broke down along the main roads in the early days setting them up to be attacked an ambushed in some cases...so back on track lets see the same test with a generously slip EWL lubed weapon.[/quote]

.gov does an awesome job don't they?

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor contractors

More .gov employees?

These layoffs primarily apply to Defense Contractors in the US- the Companies and Engineers who design new weapons in labs, and the Union and non-Union workers who are on the assembly line making the completed weapons for our soldiers to use.  Not the Contractors who go overseas to provide infrastructure services to our troops.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor contractors

It is not like the government can or will do the work.

well said. Every time our contract is renewed and they try and cut contractors the DAC's/Military freaks out because they know they will have to do the work.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never saw the non-Union people I know who are contractors getting over payed.  They worked hard for years in degrees in Engineering and have very hard work day to day.  

Speaking as a former engineering contractor: I can vouch for this.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#37]

In one contractor heavy shop I know of, the government civilians collectively have made exactly one product in 11 years. The contractors make about 11 per contractor per year.

One group can be fired for incompetence, because their hair is too long, because they were lippy, or for no reason at all.

The other can't be fired for anything short of a felony.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most folks have rates audited by DCAA. You have to justify all your markup and profit is typically limited as well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if in their zeal to cut costs the government is going to get rid of 8A set-asides.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most folks have rates audited by DCAA. You have to justify all your markup and profit is typically limited as well.

I was told that years after the period of performance people have gotten visits from DCAA auditors saying "The government actually paid you too much and so you need to write us a check."
I've been told that, in theory, they could also show up saying they didn't pay you enough but nobody knew of that actually happening.

And, yes, profit for a lot of contracts is built into your bid. If you make more than you said you would, DCAA comes knocking. A lot of people don't know about that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Relevant:

After Obama guidance, Lockheed won’t issue layoff notices this year

Layoff notices could have been of particular concern in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., a key part of the swing state that both Romney and Obama are targeting. The suburbs are home to thousands of employees of defense contractors.

Bob Stevens, Lockheed's CEO, created a firestorm in June when he threatened to send out notices of potential layoffs to all 123,000 of his employees on Nov. 2 — four days before the election — due to a law requiring companies to give 60-day notice of mass layoffs.

The Obama administration pushed back in July, telling contractors it was “inappropriate” to issue the notices tied to sequestration, but Lockheed and a handful of other contractors said they were likely to do so anyway.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Relevant:

After Obama guidance, Lockheed won’t issue layoff notices this year

Layoff notices could have been of particular concern in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., a key part of the swing state that both Romney and Obama are targeting. The suburbs are home to thousands of employees of defense contractors.

Bob Stevens, Lockheed's CEO, created a firestorm in June when he threatened to send out notices of potential layoffs to all 123,000 of his employees on Nov. 2 — four days before the election — due to a law requiring companies to give 60-day notice of mass layoffs.

The Obama administration pushed back in July, telling contractors it was "inappropriate” to issue the notices tied to sequestration, but Lockheed and a handful of other contractors said they were likely to do so anyway.

It's nice that this administration can just ignore the law, isn't it?  The end justifies the means in this case.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#45]
What a dick.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I work for one of the big contractors.  Whether or not layoff notices go out really isn't relevant at this point.  The weekly corporate missives (er, excuse me, emailed "here's the stuff you need to know" bulletins) have all discussed sequestration for the past few months.  Granted, it's not a true layoff notice, but we all are well aware that come 1/2/13 there may not be as many "butts in chairs" as there were at the end of 2012.

That said, the immediate impact will be felt by contractors whose contract renewal date is at the end of the calendar year.  Some contracts are tied to the fiscal year so today is their anniversary - no worries.  Mine isn't up until 5/1.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In one contractor heavy shop I know of, the government civilians collectively have made exactly one product in 11 years. The contractors make about 11 per contractor per year.

One group can be fired for incompetence, because their hair is too long, because they were lippy, or for no reason at all.

Exactly, if they really wanted to save money they would get rid of the fucking GS bullshit employees who are all fucking worthless in my exp.!
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, if they really wanted to save money they would get rid of the fucking GS bullshit employees who are all fucking worthless in my exp.!

I heard an SES tell his entire group of GS employees he'd turn them into contractors if he could.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Those who work for government contractors aren't deceived by this nonsense coming from the Obama Administration.  

I worked as a government contractor for more than 20 years.  

Until last year, it was fairly easy to find work here in the DC Metro area.

Today,  everyone I know is scared of losing their job, has lost their job in the last six months, or are no longer counted among the unemployed, not because of finding a job, but because of being jobless for more than six months.  No one I know believes that the Congress and the Administration will resolve the Budget Control Act's (BCA) automatic cuts under "sequestration."

Those I know currently employed, without exception, report their employers have stopped hiring.  Not slowed, stopped.  I'd say half of them say their employers have stopped interviewing too, not because they don't need people, but because they are do not want to suffer the cost effects of hiring and then laying off 10 percent of their workforce.

If you look at the projections of every responsible publicly traded firm that derives a big chunk of revenue from federal contracts, all are hedging their statements on future performance because the penalties for failing to disclose possible impacts to revenues and profit associated with sequestration in their quarterly SEC reports.  You can also see how firms are restructing themselves to prepare for the effect of sequestration. The WAPO had a very interesting article on this a few weeks ago.

Personally, I want to see sequestration happen.  It is the ONLY way we are going to see a reduction in federal spending.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We are on the precipice of the greatest collapse ever known to man.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top