BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 274
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think the Mich/Uga matchup is a good one for mich. You don't beat UGA in the trenches. As UF last year and Bama acouple times has shown - you beat them with an over the top, down field passing attack.

View Quote

Mi essentially has been in the playoff race for their last few games. They're running on all cylinders and peaking at the right time.

Will be interesting to watch
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't think the Mich/Uga matchup is a good one for mich. You don't beat UGA in the trenches. As UF last year and Bama acouple times has shown - you beat them with an over the top, down field passing attack.

View Quote

Double tap from being in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Already down to 7
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are smoking crack.  As big a UGA fan as I am, I may have to take that bet.  Hell, I dont even bet on sports!

Already down to 7

And now they have it at -120 vig.
I got it at +7.5 and -110

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IMHO there should never be two teams from the same conference in the Payoffs.  We have the whole regular season to determine who the best team in each conference is.  The Payoff should be about determining things we don't know, like how the conferences stack up against one another.
View Quote

Playoffs and national championship is about determining who the overall #1 team is. You can’t achieve that by leaving out better teams just because they all play in the same conference.

I like your thought process of determining who the best conference is though. I’d personally like to see some stipulation that all teams from all the conferences play a member of the other 4 power 5s. That would mean only playing 8 conference games and no G5 or FCS though since the remaining 4 games would be vs other P5 conferences. The drawback is the G5 and FCS paydays would go away and their athletic budgets would then suffer leading them to cancel programs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Have any of y’all watched BYU? UAB is playing the Mormons in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why? Did any "downing" part of his body hit the ground?

There's no rule about dragging your foot and appearing like you might begin a slide. If it's not illegal then it's legal.

Should fake plays be outlawed? "But he looked like he was going to punt! That's cheap!"

There are too many rules already.
View Quote

Should Pitt be pissed if the refs blew it dead?  

Looking at the same as a fake punt is not equal since you can still tackle/block a punt and it isn’t a auto deadball if you try a fake punt……you cannot hit a defenseless player (someone that is sliding….in the rules, “A ball carrier who has obviously given themselves up and is sliding feet-first.”)….so you would have to make a split second decision,  both the refs and the defense, if he has really started to slide or not.

With sliding, you are down where you start the slide …you not where you hit the ground.  By purposely showing that he is going to slide, he could have been ruled be down right then since it is signaling to the defense that they should avoid you at all costs or risk getting a personal foul.

If someone happened to hit him during his fake slide, they likely would have thrown a flag.

Overall, it sucks if you are ok or not ok with the fake slide since it would come down to judgement call by the ref.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One question. Do you sincerely believe Cincinnati would be undefeated and is capable of having won the Big10 or SEC this year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am having a difficult time understanding the idea that Cinci is undeserving of a playoff spot based on the assumption that thet would lose to uga by 2 tds. What happened last year? Uga needed a miracle 53 yard fg to take a 1 point lead with 12 seconds left to escape with a win vs Cinci.

One question. Do you sincerely believe Cincinnati would be undefeated and is capable of having won the Big10 or SEC this year?

First of all, I think Cinci probably wins 10 games with uga's schedule. Do they win the sec? No, probably not, but the sec east was as weak as it's ever been this season. So I think they'd have had a chance to compete for the east. As for the b10, it's not as if the b10 was uncommonly good this season. I think they could possibly have won the west. Would they have run the table? Probably not. I don't think Cinci is this great team or anything. I just think that the idea that uga is head and shoulders above Cinci, while it might be true with regard to talent, it's not as clear as it may seem...especially given the results the last time they played.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a bad slate of games..

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]

MSU
bama
Michigan
ND
OSU
Baylor
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Iowa St. vs Clemson
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How did Miami's program collapse after 2001 or whatever year it was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cristobal to Miami sucks for cruitin competition in Florida. He's not gonna win many games, he couldn't win in the weakass pac12 with zero competition ; so in the acc where some random teams are passably good each year - he's gonna get wrecked.  However, he will leave them set up with a loaded class for the next guy.

In ~3-4 years we might see Miami in the playoffs.

How did Miami's program collapse after 2001 or whatever year it was.

Bad investments by the previous President (Donna Shalala) which led to empty pockets, cheap hires and loss of home field advantage when the Orange Bowl was demolished.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bad investments by the previous President (Donna Shalala) which led to empty pockets, cheap hires and loss of home field advantage when the Orange Bowl was demolished.
View Quote

Wasn't Donna Shalala a diversity hire?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Miami doesn't care about football, constant investigations for being dirty, don't have their own stadium, etc etc.

View Quote

It's not that they don't care about football. It's that they care more about Uhealth. Also, one investigation which turned out to be a huge nothingburger. The stadium is a huge issue though. Hard Rock is too big, too far and the tiny student body is too apathetic to travel 20 miles to get drunk and watch mediocre football.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LBs should be able to crush QBs when they are sliding as long as no part of their body has touched the ground?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no rule about dragging your foot and appearing like you might begin a slide. If it's not illegal then it's legal.

Should fake plays be outlawed? "But he looked like he was going to punt! That's cheap!"

LBs should be able to crush QBs when they are sliding as long as no part of their body has touched the ground?

How are they going to actually be sliding on the ground and not touching the ground at the same time?

But in general I'm all for cutting back on a lot of the targeting bullshit. It's a game where you hit each other at a run. You might get fucked up. No one is forcing a single player to be out there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not that they don't care about football. It's that they care more about Uhealth. Also, one investigation which turned out to be a huge nothingburger. The stadium is a huge issue though. Hard Rock is too big, too far and the tiny student body is too apathetic to travel 20 miles to get drunk and watch mediocre football.
View Quote

There is alot to be said about pure recruiting power. Kirby sucks dick as a coach (same with richt) - but by sheer loaded rosters, had UGA in the hunt. If Cristobal actually does go to Miami - he will have y'all in the hunt. And in the acc with a loaded roaster, that means acc titles. I'm thinking y'all will have a little run in about 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wasn't Donna Shalala a diversity hire?
View Quote

Hate saying this because she's a Clintonite bitch, but she actually did an outstanding job as president. The Miami program has had plenty of resources to at the very least win more than one Acc coastal title. The athletic department has been poorly managed for a long time. At the same time, the conditions that existed with regard to recruiting and home field advantage when Miami was winning championships are no longer there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got our tkts for the RV lot and game at the Cotton bowl.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looking at the same as a fake punt is not equal since you can still tackle/block a punt and it isn’t a auto deadball if you try a fake punt……you cannot hit a defenseless player (someone that is sliding….in the rules, “A ball carrier who has obviously given themselves up and is sliding feet-first.”)….so you would have to make a split second decision,  both the refs and the defense, if he has really started to slide or not.

With sliding, you are down where you start the slide …you not where you hit the ground.  By purposely showing that he is going to slide, he could have been ruled be down right then since it is signaling to the defense that they should avoid you at all costs or risk getting a personal foul.

If someone happened to hit him during his fake slide, they likely would have thrown a flag.

Overall, it sucks if you are ok or not ok with the fake slide since it would come down to judgement call by the ref.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but the slide is "started" where a player makes contact with the ground, in the same manner that they would be considered down in other situations. They are not down until something other than the hands or feet touch the ground.

All he did was drag a foot and the defenders assumed he was going to slide because that's what QBs usually do. Gotcha!
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Playoffs and national championship is about determining who the overall #1 team is. You can’t achieve that by leaving out better teams just because they all play in the same conference.

I like your thought process of determining who the best conference is though. I’d personally like to see some stipulation that all teams from all the conferences play a member of the other 4 power 5s. That would mean only playing 8 conference games and no G5 or FCS though since the remaining 4 games would be vs other P5 conferences. The drawback is the G5 and FCS paydays would go away and their athletic budgets would then suffer leading them to cancel programs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMHO there should never be two teams from the same conference in the Payoffs.  We have the whole regular season to determine who the best team in each conference is.  The Payoff should be about determining things we don't know, like how the conferences stack up against one another.

Lets do:

Michigan
Bama
UGA
tOSU

They deserve another shot
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

all the news orgs in OK are saying OU officials are enroute to Venables to finalize the deal to bring him home where he belongs.

he is one helluva coach and motivator. Georgia's Monkin (sp) is also ready to be signed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will be interesting to see how he does as a HC. Definitely a huge blow to Clemson. The stability on that staff was a huge factor in their success.

all the news orgs in OK are saying OU officials are enroute to Venables to finalize the deal to bring him home where he belongs.

he is one helluva coach and motivator. Georgia's Monkin (sp) is also ready to be signed.

if the new head coach is a defensive guy like venebles, is there a risk caleb leaves?

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

split the g5 out on their own and this becomes much more feasible.

but everyone in the country would be fighting to schedule kansas and vanderbilt

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

if the new head coach is a defensive guy like venebles, is there a risk caleb leaves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will be interesting to see how he does as a HC. Definitely a huge blow to Clemson. The stability on that staff was a huge factor in their success.

Can't imagine there's any "if" to it at this point.  The Oklahoma AD got off a private jet at our local airport about two hours ago.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can't imagine there's any "if" to it at this point.  The Oklahoma AD got off a private jet at our local airport about two hours ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The team was told about the same time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have any of y’all watched BYU? UAB is playing the Mormons in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport.
View Quote

I’ve watched some. Not enough to say anymore than they are a physical team that virtually played a P5 schedule that included 7 P5 teams. Pretty good doing that and going 10-2.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, but the slide is "started" where a player makes contact with the ground, in the same manner that they would be considered down in other situations. They are not down until something other than the hands or feet touch the ground.

All he did was drag a foot and the defenders assumed he was going to slide because that's what QBs usually do. Gotcha!
View Quote

Incorrect, if it was the same as other situations, then you would be down where you make contact with the ground…..but it isn’t like that.  

He also dipped his hips a little.  The rule doesn’t say it is downed when you make contact with the ground, it is where you start the action.

Ball Declared Dead
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound their whistle or declare it dead:
a. When it goes out of bounds other than a kick that scores a field goal after
touching the uprights or crossbar; when a ball carrier is out of bounds; or when a ball carrier is so held that their forward progress is stopped. When in question, the ball is dead (A.R. 4-2-1-II).
b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except the hand or foot, touches the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses possession of the ball as they contact the ground with any part of their body, except the hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when an offensive player has simulated a kick or at the snap is in postion to kick the ball held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or advanced by rule] (A.R. 4-1-3-I).
c. When a touchdown, touchback, safety, field goal or successful try occurs; or when a free kick or a scrimmage kick that is untouched by Team B beyond the neutral zone touches the ground in Team B’s end zone (Rules 6-1-7-a, 6-3-9, and A.R. 6-3-9-I).
d. When, during a try, a dead-ball rule applies (Rule 8-3-2-d-5).
e. When a player of the kicking team catches or recovers any free kick or a
scrimmage kick that has crossed the neutral zone.
f. When a free kick, scrimmage kick or any other loose ball comes to rest and
no player attempts to secure it.
g. When a scrimmage kick or a free kick is caught or recovered by any Team B player after a valid or invalid fair-catch signal by a Team B player; or when an invalid fair-catch signal is made after a catch or recovery by Team B (Rules 2-8-1 through 3).
h. When there is a return kick or a scrimmage kick is made beyond the neutral zone.
i. When a forward pass is ruled incomplete.
j. When, before a change of team possession on fourth down or a try, a Team A fumble is caught or recovered by a Team A player other than the fumbler
(Rules 7-2-2-a and -b and 8-3-2-d-5).
k. When a live ball not in player possession touches anything inbounds other
than a player, a player’s equipment, an official, an official’s equipment or
the ground (inadvertent-whistle provisions apply).
l. When there is a simultaneous catch or recovery of a live ball.
m. Whentheballbecomesillegalwhileinplay(inadvertent-whistleprovisions
apply).
n. When a live ball comes into possession of an official (inadvertent-whistle provisions apply).
o. When a ball carrier simulates placing their knee on the ground.
p. When an airborne pass receiver of either team is held so that they are prevented from immediately returning to the ground (A.R. 7-3-6-III).
q. When a ball carrier’s helmet comes completely off.
r. When a ball carrier obviously begins a feet-first slide. (A.R. 4-1-3-III)

I would argue that if we can call it a fake slide, then obviously there were signs that it is the beginning of a slide….

Still the thing I hate about faking a slide is that it causes a judgement call by the players/refs that can lead to penalties or inadvertent stoppage.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish I could afford the tickets and my 85 year old father have the ability to travel. I’d take him in a heartbeat........ he’s been a Bama fan since he was a young man but he’s too old to go anymore
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Out of curiosity what did that set you back?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd say 95% a done deal.

Interesting is a report about another jet from Vegas.  The speculation being Dabo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. The only way that would work fairly would be to put all the teams in a computer and let it decide the games. Set the program so you run thru every team in the other conferences 1 time each before you repeat the cycle. It would take 15 years or so to play everyone but so what.

Then you would have true conference vs conference records.
I know they do that with bowl games but it’s just not a true representation due to optouts.

It would work until the computer told Saban he was playing Utah, Michigan and Clemson in the same year.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's just butthurt "not UGA!!." There isn't a solid argument for any other particular team taking the last spot, but not Georgia damn it!

Personally, I hope we see ND slide in 4th. Bama vs. ND is still my favorite championship. That half time comment from Kelly about Alabama not coming back out on the field has a special place in my heart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UGA has lost 7 times in a row to Bama.

The argument earlier in this thread was that ND doesn’t belong because they have a history of always losing in the playoffs.

Following the exact same logic (UGA has an ongoing history of losing to Bama) and looking at who UGA has beaten Click To View Spoiler UGA doesn’t belong

Then who should be in that spot?

LOL good luck with that. I think I’m up to 4 replies with no answer. The ridiculous thing about that is this is just a forum where we post our opinions that at the end of the day don’t have any bearing on the decisions that will be made. It just makes for conversation concerning a subject that we all have an interest in. The opinion of anyone that ND or Baylor or Oklahoma St etc deserve a chance all have positives and negatives.

It's just butthurt "not UGA!!." There isn't a solid argument for any other particular team taking the last spot, but not Georgia damn it!

Personally, I hope we see ND slide in 4th. Bama vs. ND is still my favorite championship. That half time comment from Kelly about Alabama not coming back out on the field has a special place in my heart.

Except I gave very solid arguments.

UGA lost to the only good team they played.
UGA is Bama’s bitch.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Except I gave very solid arguments.

UGA lost to the only good team they played.
UGA is Bama’s bitch.
View Quote

Did you ever say who you would have put in instead of them?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd say 95% a done deal.

Interesting is a report about another jet from Vegas.  The speculation being Dabo.
View Quote
Someone snapped a picture of the AD at Venables' house.  One comment was funny, as they said Brent was showing the Oklahoma AD why he should take the Clemson job (our AD is going to Miami).
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#35]
The Leach Bowl will be awesome…
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Leach Bowl will be awesome…
View Quote

lol that’s the first thing I noticed
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

That…then the Duke Mayo bowl…N vs S Carolina

I find if funny that BYU is 12th….playing UAB

Iowa vs Kentucky….straightforward football.

Wisconsin vs AZ St….somewhat interesting

Penn St vs Arkansas….ok

Oregon vs OU….nice
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#38]
FL playing cccf.  In before mattyvac is crowing about beating a P5 team (even though they suck) and outofstep humbles him with a verbal beatdown.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Penn St vs Arkansas….ok

Oregon vs OU….nice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Penn St vs Arkansas….ok

Oregon vs OU….nice

Yea, I’ve looked over BYU’s schedule and watched YT videos for this season.

They’re the 2nd best team we’ll play this season behind UGA.

They beat several really good teams and Utah. All I have to say is that Clark better be working on one hell of a game plan.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Wisconsin fans love a trip to Vegas. I hate how this season panned out, and it's a bitter end. But Vegas for New Years isn't a bad time at all.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I am amazed my Hogs are in a New Years Day bowl after the last nine years of misery.

Sam Pittman is my Coach of the year.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Is this the first time Oklahoma and Oregon have played since that travesty of a game in 2006?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is this the first time Oklahoma and Oregon have played since that travesty of a game in 2006?
View Quote
I swear they have played since, but probably butterfly effect.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

First of all, I think Cinci probably wins 10 games with uga's schedule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

First of all, I think Cinci probably wins 10 games with uga's schedule.

Ok, I'll bite.  Looking at Georgia's schedule this year, where are the 10 wins?  Keep in mind, now, Cincy struggled to beat Navy (3 wins), Tulsa (6 wins), Indiana (2 wins), and Tulane (2 wins).  That's four struggles against teams that won a total of 13 games, with none of them having winning records.  

I just think that the idea that uga is head and shoulders above Cinci, while it might be true with regard to talent, it's not as clear as it may seem...especially given the results the last time they played.

Results in a bowl game last year are absolutely irrelevant to this year, especially considering the number of opt-outs and injuries on that Georgia squad.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I foresee a season ending “injury” to Bennett during preps for Michigan.   Then JT Daniels comes in to save the day.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/ouvo_JPG-2193625.JPG

o dayum
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I foresee a season ending “injury” to Bennett during preps for Michigan.   Then JT Daniels comes in to save the day.
View Quote

No chance, Kirby is going down with the USS Bennett...all hands aboard.

What makes all of this worse, Bennett still has another year of eligibility.  If he comes back, at the very least you lose Daniels, and possibly Beck or Vandagriff.  At some point, highly rated QB's are going to start avoiding Georgia and Smart...and I don't blame them one bit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Michigan had way tougher competition this year than either Bama or Georgia.
View Quote

Power Rankings Guru
Alabama 8
Michigan 22
Georgia 32

teamrankings.com
Alabama 1
Georgia 2
Michigan 4

warrennolen.com
Alabama 14
Georgia 30
Michigan 38

Sagarin
Alabama 1
Georgia 2
Michigan 4

lot of variance.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
FL playing cccf.  In before mattyvac is crowing about beating a P5 team (even though they suck) and outofstep humbles him with a verbal beatdown.
View Quote

If gus malzahn knows anything about CCCF and bowl games, it's losing. UF by 7+ even being in a shambles. ??
Page / 274
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top