Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/18/2021 2:41:46 PM EDT
Need to escape the cold for a week or so this winter and Florida is on the approved travel to list. How long does it take to see the Keys? Good places to stay and eat? Best beaches? Military/war history/museums?

More info. We'll be traveling with our baby girl and her 9 year old daughter. Don't really drink much and not interested in diving or fishing or other ocean activities. Just want to see the sights, history and spend some afternoons on beaches. Will also be doing some POTA amateur radio. We'd like to stay at hotels that don't have bed bugs, probably stich with Hilton properties unless there's better options.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They are on the south end of Florida
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It's worth seeing each island of the keys. Isla Morada, Key Largo, etc.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There a bunch of islands.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's worth seeing each island of the keys. Isla Morada, Key Largo, etc.
View Quote

So maybe spend a night on each major island?
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Went to Key West in early March. Wonderful time, great weather, good eats. Went back a few years later the last of June. Hotter than Hell at 10 p.m. then it warmed up in the daytime.  The heat made it a pretty miserable trip.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure you go to the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key, have some pizza and stick a dollar bill on the wall.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The Keys are awesome....

Get a designated driver, and have them stop at every dive bar and open air restaurant for you all the way down US-1 ...

We stayed at the southernmost resort last time I was there.... nice place with their own beach

ETA: eracer made a good point... the Keys aren't what they were in the 80's-90's ..... but nothing really is....

When I want to escape for a weekend, I do Casey Key, Cedar Key, or someplace in the middle of nowhere near Chassahowitzka
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Key West was cool 40 years ago.  There's really no beaches, and the luster has faded.

You should do the Sarasota area:  Anna Maria Island, Lido Key, Longboat Key, Siesta Key.
Sarasota itself has money, and the downtown is small but really nice.
Definitely check out Munchie's 420 Cafe by the marina.
Lots of great restaurants.
Much less crowded.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
All the main islands seem to have a different personality. We stayed at islamorada mainly was chill and quiet. Key west is more like a beachy New Orleans
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Key West was cool 40 years ago.  There's really no beaches, and the luster has faded.

You should do the Sarasota area:  Anna Maria Island, Lido Key, Longboat Key, Siesta Key.
Much less crowded.
View Quote

Came to post this^^^^. We've been to Siesta Key multiple times and Anna Maria once. They've been our favorite in terms of having lots to do, but also quieter spots away from the touristy hustle and bustle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Came to post this^^^^. We've been to Siesta Key multiple times and Anna Maria once. They've been our favorite in terms of having lots to do, but also quieter spots away from the touristy hustle and bustle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much less crowded.

Appreciate it. We're from Alaska and my lady wants to see the Keys. I've always wanted to see them too, so I think that's what we'll focus on. I think we'll fly into Miami and roadtrip rather than stay in one place.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Winter in the keys is more pleasant.  Less heat, humidity and biting bugs.  The trade-off is poorer water conditions, visibility for snorkeling can be low and of course the water is cooler.

I haven't been down since the hurricane tore the islands up, so I can't provide much info on restaurants and such.  If you want nature stick to the middle keys, bars and t-shirt shops..head to Key West.

Bahia Honda State Park has some easy to reach snorkeling areas.  There are a couple of sandy beaches where the tourist congregate.   Snorkeling is better away from these and also under the bridges.  Be aware the current can be surprisingly swift near the bridges:
Bahia Honda

Key deer are cool.  A "buck" stands about 3 feet tall.  Big Pine key is the best place to see them:
Key Deer

Take a boat out to the fort:
Dry Tortugas Fort
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#14]
They are overrated. Too many asshole people.

Little Whitehouse subs in key west is good. Diving is cool. Fishing is expensive. Islamorada Brewery has a couple decent beers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Make sure you go to the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key, have some pizza and stick a dollar bill on the wall.
View Quote

We stumbled in there one evening after a day of fishing with my Oceanography prof. It was a "field trip" . The best thing was when we left we could see little Key Deer roaming around people's yards having a late snack. Those things are so freaking cute. We just parked and watched them for a while.

If I never go to Key West again it would not break my heart. Way to touristy.

There is (or at least was) a dolphin research venter on Marathon. We were there off season. They asked us to bring in our dog (Elkhound) because the dolphins love dogs. Sure enough, they followed him all around the docks. It was pretty cool. Our pup was suspicious.

ETA can't spell...
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm,

Coming from AK, allow me to be your travel agent.

Fly into Miami. Stay in Miami Beach two tree days. Eating Cubano sammiches for lunch and pollo con aroz e frijoles for dinner.

Rent car.

Drive to Key West stopping to swim with the dolphins on ..,. Big Pine Key (?)

And or, stay on Key Largo a night or two and snorkel John Pennycamp park.

Continue to Key West for a two tree night stay. Not much for beaches. Night life varies depending on events that may be in town.

Fun place for a few days but kind of slow and lots of bums. Real bums as in homeless bums but also drop outs from society who may not be bummmy type bums but just a little too slow for my northeast taste.

Anywho, the drive from Miami is nice but you may want to look at flying into one and out of the other as the drive is pretty one and you don’t really need it twice in a week.

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Mosquitos and flies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The Florida Keys are a coral cay archipelago located off the southern coast of Florida, forming the southernmost part of the continental United States. They begin at the southeastern coast of the Florida peninsula, about 15 miles (24 km) south of Miami, and extend in a gentle arc south-southwest and then westward to Key West, the westernmost of the inhabited islands, and on to the uninhabited Dry Tortugas. The islands lie along the Florida Straits, dividing the Atlantic Ocean to the east from the Gulf of Mexico to the northwest, and defining one edge of Florida Bay. At the nearest point, the southern part of Key West is just 90 miles (140 km) from Cuba. The Florida Keys are between about 24.3 and 25.5 degrees North latitude.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Much less crowded.
View Quote

Popularity has killed many a decent place.

I couldn't get over all the gay boys parading around in orange work boots and short shorts. Wtf? Is KW a queer magnet?
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Popularity has killed many a decent place.

I couldn't get over all the gay boys parading around in orange work boots and short shorts. Wtf? Is KW a queer magnet?
View Quote

Just be careful what bar you set foot in, might be the Blue Oyster Club.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I stayed at the farthest south hotel on Key Largo, something Cove, and then Silver Palms on Key West.

The open air churches are beautiful. Casablanca bar is a hole, but I’d recommend drinking there. Great liquor store on Key Largo. Tower Of Pizza and Miami Grill are some great restaurants. Walk around at night on KW and soak in the atmosphere. Visit the KW Kmart. Say hi to the chickens for me. Get some rum from First Legal Rum Company. Pilars is probably still closed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I was there second week in November. Weather was perfect.

We did an Air BNB on Marathon. Was awesome. Right in the middle of the Keys. An hour to either Key Largo or Key West.

Water was warm. Dove for 3 days in Key Largo thru an Arfcommer's shop. They were finishing up their Coast Guard certification, but set me up with their guides and another boat and it was perfect.

There are tons of places to eat and drink throughout. We had a ball one night eating at a place called Boondocks and playing mini golf. They have a bar out by the course. It was great.

I didn't put on long pants for 10 days.

It's a ball. I'd go tomorrow if I could get away again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I stayed at the farthest south hotel on Key Largo, something Cove, and then Silver Palms on Key West.

The open air churches are beautiful. Casablanca bar is a hole, but I’d recommend drinking there. Great liquor store on Key Largo. Tower Of Pizza and Miami Grill are some great restaurants. Walk around at night on KW and soak in the atmosphere. Visit the KW Kmart. Say hi to the chickens for me. Get some rum from First Legal Rum Company. Pilars is probably still closed.
View Quote

Pilar is open. We visited when I was down in November. We were there while the powerboat races we happening.

Damn I love that Rum.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Keys are not fun for a 9 year old…better to go to Orlando, Legoland, Disney, etc. She will be bored. It is expensive and slow traffic…nice to visit but the 9 year old will think otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I always hit Mrs Mac's in KL, even if just passing through

https://www.mrsmacskitchen.com/Home

Ocean was rough as all Hell when I was there in late July (3 days) and none of the smaller dive/snorkel boats were going anywhere. I
called and the big glass bottom cat out of Pennekamp was running trips to Molasses reef. It was a bumpy fun ride for those who didn't get seasick.

Also saw the big glass bottom monohull that docks at Marina del Mar out there as well.

That was it. Usually, every one of the dozens of mooring buoys at Molasses has a small boat tied off to it that time of year. Take a small six pack dive/snorkel boat if sea conditions permit. Even if you're just a bubble watcher it's a fun way to spend half a day.

Parmers Place in the Lower Keys is a neat little resort.

https://parmersresort.com/

Water temp this time of year will be lower 70's.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All the main islands seem to have a different personality. We stayed at islamorada mainly was chill and quiet. Key west is more like a beachy New Orleans
View Quote

Without much of a beach
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Its fulla queers and crossdressers in key west. Stay away, unless you dig that kinda horseshit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Florida Keys are no different than any other state.  If the contractor loses them you need to recore the locks ASAP.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Its fulla queers and crossdressers in key west. Stay away, unless you dig that kinda horseshit.
View Quote

Check the dates carefully before going to make sure it isn't a special Gay event happening when you're going to be there.  Then it's REALLy packed with them!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Check the dates carefully before going to make sure it isn't a special Gay event happening when you're going to be there.  Then it's REALLy packed with them!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stayed here and drive down to Key West.  Did a day tour and relaxed elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

No name key to pet the deer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#33]
My contractor lost mine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Key West is crazy good!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#35]
See if there is a VRBO on Little Torch Key.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Beaches are gravely, not great.

Some history in Key West, but the real historical gem is Fort Jefferson. Probably not feasible with a baby.

Not much along the keys themselves. Long drive on bridges.

Key West can be done in a day, but not much for kids, maybe the aquarium. It's a tourist trap these days, but still fun for parrotheads and bar hopping. Get blackened mako and conch fritters at the half shell raw bar.

The ocean is the point of the keys, if you're not wanting to fish or enjoy the water in some way, don't bother.

Go to one of the family friendly tourist beaches on the mainland.

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Some history in Key West, but the real historical gem is Fort Jefferson. Probably not feasible with a baby.

Key West can be done in a day, but not much for kids, maybe the aquarium. It's a tourist trap these days, but still fun for parrotheads and bar hopping. Get blackened mako and conch fritters at the half shell raw bar.

The ocean is the point of the keys, if you're not wanting to fish or enjoy the water in some way, don't bother.

View Quote

Beaches are coral, not gravel.  Shoes required to swim at all times!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Benn a few times. KW used to be a blast.
Pennycamp park in Largo is a good spot to snorkel or dive.
Fish the old bridges that run along side the new bridges.
I'm going to Hawks Cay resort (Duck Key) in February.
Used to get a beachfront campsite in Long Key Nat Park.
Hooked a large cuda from a canoe. Pulled him in and he promptly
kicked me out of my own canoe.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#39]
The keys would be nothing without the ocean.  A trip to the keys without some ocean activities, well, just go to fucking Kansas.

If you want quiet, beach, Florida and parks, try around Carrabelle.  You might even be able to hit some Tallahassee repeaters from there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Need to escape the cold for a week or so this winter and Florida is on the approved travel to list. How long does it take to see the Keys? Good places to stay and eat? Best beaches? Military/war history/museums?

More info. We'll be traveling with our baby girl and her 9 year old daughter. Don't really drink much and not interested in diving or fishing or other ocean activities. Just want to see the sights, history and spend some afternoons on beaches. Will also be doing some POTA amateur radio. We'd like to stay at hotels that don't have bed bugs, probably stich with Hilton properties unless there's better options.
View Quote

I hate to tell you but your list of don’t likes is the bulk of what there is to do in the keys. In addition there aren’t really beaches

If your looking for nice stuff to do and sit on the beach like others have said siesta, Sarasota etc are going to be far better options. It’s literally rated the number 1 beach in America.

This isn’t some sort of Floridian thing the keys are literally a two lane road with nothing but bars and boats. That’s the allure of the keys. Also understand what she wants but I think we are trying to keep you from wasting money.

If you’re set on them you can do it in one long day then stay up on the mainland for a more traditional vaca
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gravely is an adjective, not a noun.

As in not the smooth sand tourists are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Been twice with Scouts. Would avoid between June and August.

We went in late May this year. Weather was still hot, but not killer hot.

If I went on a trip for myself I would pretty much do the opposite of what you said. Spend a lot of time in the water snorkeling with the wife and kids.
We saw the forts and tourist places which are a change of scenery from the forts and tourist places elsewhere, but otherwise pretty much the same experience.

For me the Keys are about getting in the water and seeing something I can't see at home.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#43]
@denverdan

you still working down there, bud?
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#44]
You should buy a yellow concrete sailless boat and raise your kids on it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#45]
In.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Great place to visit. Some things I liked:

Key West: Hemmingway's House, Key West History Museum, the Little White House.

Marathon: EAA Air Museum, Turtle Rescue Center.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Fish, Reefs, Bridges, Beaches.  Age doesn't matter.  Fishes and reefs and fresh fish/shellfish plus sun are a recipe for fun
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My contractor lost mine.
View Quote

I understood this reference
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You should buy a yellow concrete sailless boat and raise your kids on it.
View Quote

I also understood this reference
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#50]
How is the Nature Coast in January? Crystal Springs and that area. I was thinking about going there for MLK Day week, or maybe Presidents Day week in February.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top