[#1]
I hear it's a lesbian hot spot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where will you be?
View Quote

Just booked the first 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale. Will proceed towards the Keys on the 23rd.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just booked the first 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale. Will proceed towards the Keys on the 23rd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where will you be?

Do you have any reservations in the Keys?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
OP missed the Pirate festival in Key West earlier this month.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The wife and I are thinking of checking out the keys as well, however all I want out of it is to visit Key Largo, find a place that serves a really good Cuban sandwich and get a tee-shirt from Sloppy Joes (yeah, I know what GD says about that place but so what)
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where will you be?

Nice. I’m in the upper Keys. Tavernier to be exact. Hit me up if you’re around the area.  
The weather is absolutely amazing right now btw.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Was born at NAS Key West long ago.  Been back there and Marathon several times. Dont go in July unless you like sweating your ass off. It is a fun place.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you have any reservations in the Keys?
View Quote

Just booked Monday and Tuesday night on Key West. Probably stay mid Keys Wed night and Key Largo Thursday night.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just booked Monday and Tuesday night on Key West. Probably stay mid Keys Wed night and Key Largo Thursday night.
View Quote

Where at on Cayo Hueso? I would try to get a place at the Islander on Islamorada for your mid Keys stop. Eat at Lorelei across US1.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Dick Trickle
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How is the Nature Coast in January? Crystal Springs and that area. I was thinking about going there for MLK Day week, or maybe Presidents Day week in February.
View Quote

A shit ton warmer than Alaska
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
We stayed at a Hilton in Key West on valentines day last year. Was $500 a night for a shitty room that was dirty, falling apart, and had quite a bit of mold growing in the shower. After that experience, we will never stay at another Hilton again.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Need to escape the cold for a week or so this winter and Florida is on the approved travel to list. How long does it take to see the Keys? Good places to stay and eat? Best beaches? Military/war history/museums?

More info. We'll be traveling with our baby girl and her 9 year old daughter. Don't really drink much and not interested in diving or fishing or other ocean activities. Just want to see the sights, history and spend some afternoons on beaches. Will also be doing some POTA amateur radio. We'd like to stay at hotels that don't have bed bugs, probably stich with Hilton properties unless there's better options.
View Quote
The Florida keys are a long way to nowhere. The end.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, but that is in Indiana.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There’s a place called Cocomo.

Kokomo

Yeah, but that is in Indiana.

Actually no, it was a pool side bar next to the original tiki bar at Holiday Isle resort. And was there when the beach boys wrote the song. Post card inn has fucked it all up.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#15]
October has fantasy fest. keep the kids away.
Have a look at Duval street here.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Just found out about the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson, but I don't think it will work logistically for us. Looks awesome though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just found out about the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson, but I don't think it will work logistically for us. Looks awesome though.
View Quote

Book a sunset cruise on the Jolly Rover.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Province Town, Cape Cod was very gay. Is KW more gay or less gay than P Town?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Few people are aware that one of the best places to stay in Key West is the Santa Maria Suites.  All units are excellent 2br suites, modern decor and a really nice pool, lush grounds, awesome staff, and for around $500/nt avg.  that’s only $250 per couple.  Free parking!  Lyft/Uber/scooter if needed to go to Mallory Sq area, otherwise the southern end of Duval St has great restaurants and a lot less drunks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I use to fly into Key West almost daily, it's full of 'progressive' types and bums/vagrants/homeless but this is true of any warm coastal region.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Just came back.

Truman hotel in key west is good location and good accommodations for the cost.

Ate at Firefly and it was very good.   Hit bodega as well, reserve in advance.  Never need more than 2 nights in key west.

Spent the rest in the middle keys.  Islamorada.  2 breweries.   Lorelei for sunset.  MEAT had great burgers.

I go to fish but weather screwed my guided trip this time.  I fish with Leatherneck charters.  Captain Ben is great, out of Tavernier.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't tread water over reefs with your flippers on
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Speaking of The Keys, how is Marcos Island?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Popularity has killed many a decent place.

I couldn't get over all the gay boys parading around in orange work boots and short shorts. Wtf? Is KW a queer magnet?
View Quote

Been that way forever. Duval street comes to mind.
I grew up there in the 70s left in 81.
Was way different then,literal paradise.
Cuban women!??
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where will you be?

Attachment Attached File

Dude. Just dude. FLL is a shithole. 2 nights

Eeesh. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/butWhy-734.gif

Eeesh. Good luck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where will you be?

Eeesh. Good luck

He right you know .jpg

I live there.  confirmed not worth a visit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is not what it was like in the 80s and 90s as far as gay life.  A lot of gays have moved on to other locations.  I think it is because gays can be more open now with their lifestyle and are more or less accepted by the general population.  There are still a lot of gays there but they are living a more staid life than the guys in the 80s and 90s, getting married, adopting kids, buying houses, running businesses.  On the other hand, there is the 801 Bar.
View Quote

LOL.  Fond memories of that place.  Also, the Monster.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Speaking of The Keys, how is Marcos Island?
View Quote

Marco Island is beautiful and sophisticated.  Collier County (Naples/Marco) is ridiculously wealthy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Eeesh. Good luck
View Quote

Well that's where Alaska Airlines fly's to, so that's our arrival point. We get in Friday night at about 8pm after having traveled for about 18 hours with 2 kids and a baby. I got us a resort hotel on the beach with a pool so I can chill and get my bearings on Saturday. We'll head towards the Keys on Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#31]
On the plane, Florida, here we come...
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Good luck man, I sure wished I would have reached out here before we went last summer.

We did a week in Key West, meh....  It wasn’t a bad trip, just not exactly what I expected. Did a few of the standard tours in Key West, which was fun but again, not what I had anticipated.

It was crowded, very crowded, and fucking hot.  Have a plan, then have a backup plan, then have a 3rd option.  It was also expensive, even though we planned and used Hilton, etc, it’s pricey.

Did some deep sea fishing on Jolly Roger and landed some decent Mahi.  Took our catch back to The Reach and the chef prepared it for us.  It was good but I wouldn’t choose that option again.

We had planned on going out with Moses Pellegrino but he died not long before we got there.  Drama surrounding  Moses and the boat Premium Time with Captain Marlin something... Something about T-shirt proceeds not being split evenly or something.  “So, Moses...” was the T-shirt catch phrase and it went sideways.  Hey man, I just wanted to get some fishing in with him, seemed like a good idea at the time.  Anywho, he started working another boat and one afternoon during rough seas, he was slammed into a downrigger.  That evening after finishing the charter, Moses went to get off the boat but slipped and banged his head pretty good on the side of the boat.  He generally rode a bike home but didn’t that evening.  He went home, drank some painkiller, and went to sleep.  Never woke up.

Key west is a tourist place, not bad, just touristy.  I wanted something much slower, Marathon, perhaps.

The beaches had 2 feet of seaweed/moss that they only clear once in the morning. That was unfortunately par for the course.  And, it stinks, literally.

We went with 2 other couples, and we all took kids, so much of the plans were already planned by those other couples because they had been before, kinda took it out of my hands.

I wouldn’t do Key West again but I would probably try one of the outer Keys.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Downtown Key West smells like piss and puke.

If you go, take the trip to Dry Tortugas. It’s a neat place.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I love the keys and south florida so much...it's magical
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mosquitos and flies.
View Quote
And painted bare titties.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Great place to visit. Some things I liked:

Key West: Hemmingway's House, Key West History Museum, the Little White House.

Marathon: EAA Air Museum, Turtle Rescue Center.
View Quote

Mel Fisher's museum is really nice?  It's fantastic to see the bits of the ship and stunning treasure salvaged from the Atocha.  They had stuff for sale made from salvaged silver and gold bars.  My wife bought a pair of silver earrings that were reasonably priced.  Most of the goodies were more than we wanted to spend for a trinket.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
On the plane, Florida, here we come...
View Quote

Have a fun trip! Post pics as you go and let us know what you like, don’t like!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Are the homosexuals mostly just in Key West?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll be there in 5 weeks
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was there I saw 2 rainbow flags, and not a single homosexual.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if I told you, the gays were everywhere now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Uncle passed.

Selling his place on Duck Key.

You should live there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They are on the south end of Florida
View Quote

FPNI....it's uncanny!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Look for a big dude in a yellow concrete boat.

(Already been said?)
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of them moved to WI
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He right you know .jpg

I live there.  confirmed not worth a visit.
View Quote

My first and only time to Ft. Lauderdale was in 1999. I was living in Orlando and drove down to catch a cruise to the Bahamas.  Cops TV show was there filming a murder scene beside the ship's parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Need to escape the cold for a week or so this winter and Florida is on the approved travel to list. How long does it take to see the Keys? Good places to stay and eat? Best beaches? Military/war history/museums?

More info. We'll be traveling with our baby girl and her 9 year old daughter. Don't really drink much and not interested in diving or fishing or other ocean activities. Just want to see the sights, history and spend some afternoons on beaches. Will also be doing some POTA amateur radio. We'd like to stay at hotels that don't have bed bugs, probably stich with Hilton properties unless there's better options.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#48]
@denverdan

What are you up to on Monday?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@denverdan

What are you up to on Monday?
View Quote

I work until 4:00 but I’m free after that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Diplomat Resort doesn’t suck. It’s not 100% busy this weekend. Hotel food is meh and expensive. Kids are having a blast at the pool and beach and it’s relaxing in the sun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top