Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a huge IPA fan, but this is pretty good

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I’d like to be in Key West by then on Monday. I’ll hit you up on the way back through Thursday.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Diplomat Resort doesn’t suck. It’s not 100% busy this weekend. Hotel food is meh and expensive. Kids are having a blast at the pool and beach and it’s relaxing in the sun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/4FEF3953-BEE5-40C4-9C60-9A37A115401E_jpe-2250137.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/F24832E9-F608-454F-9883-12F56BAF1956_jpe-2250139.JPG
View Quote

Looks like the front has not made it down that far yet.

Good for you and your family.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are overrated. Too many asshole people.

Little Whitehouse subs in key west is good. Diving is cool. Fishing is expensive. Islamorada Brewery has a couple decent beers.
View Quote

You mean people ruined something? I am shocked.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think I’d like to be in Key West by then on Monday. I’ll hit you up on the way back through Thursday.
View Quote

That’ll work amigo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Drive down is nice. Lots of good places to eat but it’s all pretty expensive.

The Perry hotel on stock island is where we usually stay. Nice place few decent restaurants onsite and pool is nice. Right on marina which is cool to walk through. F18 fly by to and from base that you can watch from pool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I just came from there a few months ago. No masks anywhere!

The upper keys are a bit suburbia. They are very strip mally and groomed. THe middle keys are better i think. Marathon was nice just to get away.

The keys aren't really known for beaches. There's a few but it's not like Hawaii where there are beaches everwhere. A lot more rocky and swampy. The sunset are actually not that great since the islands span East West and most of the views are North South, so you have to dig around for a good spot.

Key West is expensive and loud. Stay somewhere else and go there for a day trip. It doesn't do anything that Miami Beach doesn't do ten times better. Oh but the Hemingway House is pretty neat. They have 57 cats on the property sleeping around in his bed and on his writing nook.

For military go to Boca Chica key and drive to Geiger beach. You can see the fighter planes taking off from there. (Warning, it's not a pretty beach so don't bring towels and umbrellas. More like a hiking beach.)

Also check out the Key West Botanical Gardens. They have boat wrecks from the Murial Harbor trip. Pretty amazing to see what these folks made float and move from Cuba. This is actually on Stock Island next to Key West.

Best restaurant I found was The Marathon Fish Market. They will cook you what they caught that day. Funny but a lot of the fish in the Keys restaurants is frozen and shipped in. They actually don't catch enough dolphin fish to meet demand so you can expect to eat the same fish you get in Cedar Rapids. I was kind of surprised how much the fish tacos sucked at all the tiki bars and then a local told me this.

You mentioned that you aren't into ocean activities. Try The Marthon Lady https://marathonlady.net/
If you don't know how to fish, they will do everything for you including baiting your hook and unhooking your catch after you reel it in. If you aren't partial to fishing, this might be fun. You are also on a boat with 50 other people equally as clueless and the staff takes care of everyone. Great experience for a noob. And a lot of restaurants will cook your catch for you.

Best part of the keys is the drive. It really is the coolest drive there is. Just exploring around the nooks and crannies of the middle keys is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
any recommended place to stay if I ride down on my moto?

I also want to go to the DT / Ft.Jeff.  (not on my moto)
View Quote

I have been to Fort Jefferson by boat. I would do sea plane next time. 4 hours on a boat listening to the wine of a diesel gearbox
whine is nothing I want to experience again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to Roostica on Stock Island and get a pizza or if you go on Sunday get the Sunday Gravy (spaghetti and meatballs).
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I was born in Key West at the Naval air station way back in the day. I’ve gone back several times and enjoyed, both KW and Marathon, it but I would suggest if you are not fond of really nasty hot humid weather you don’t go in July.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out the Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory.

https://www.keywestbutterfly.com

It’s a block away from the Southern Most Point marker.  Go early and check these off your list as waiting lines can be long later in the day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go to Roostica on Stock Island and get a pizza or if you go on Sunday get the Sunday Gravy (spaghetti and meatballs).
View Quote

Had pizza at Roostica last night, it was pretty legit. 30 minute wait to get in at 7pm, but worth it. had a few pies. Make sure you try the Roostica pizza. Key lime pie was good. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It’s a block away from the Southern Most Point marker.  Go early and check these off your list as waiting lines can be long later in the day.
View Quote

Drove by there today and looked cool, but too packed for a stroller. Lighthouse and Hemmingway house same.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Drove by there today and looked cool, but too packed for a stroller. Lighthouse and Hemmingway house same.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That’ll work amigo.
View Quote

@denverdan. What is up today? We are currently at Curry Hammock State Park and about to head north.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got home from work actually.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just got home from work actually.
View Quote

PM sent
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top