Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Gouging or no gouging and whatever your opinion on the matter is be damned. Looks like things are getting pretty serious down there y'all stay safe.

Also Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're a piece of shit if you take advantage of people during an emergency situation.  You are a step below .22lr neckbeards.
View Quote
fitting avatar
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess all these photos of empty shelves are fake news.
View Quote
I've been in a handful of stores this week, the water shelves are empty and that's about it.  I don't much care.  I just fill water in containers at home.  Regardless, as late as lunch today you could walk into a CVS and walk out with cases of water.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess all these photos of empty shelves are fake news.
View Quote
Oh the academy sports stores still had plenty yesterday afternoon too 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hurricane season comes every year and we still have people who wait till it's game on to go start buying shit. No fucks given here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
No because we don't need no book learnin'
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Holy fuck you two live in a fantasy world. 
View Quote

Okay. Let's break down this fantasy world.

Let's keep it to generators to keep it simple.

Generators are sold out locally.

Guys buy generators from another state and drive them down to the disaster area.

They charge 200% of regular market value.

Other guys show up.  (more generators)

They offer to sell at 175%

Without explicitly breaking it down, eventually the market re saturates itself with generators. Why? Because people want to make money.

Then, maybe you have over saturation. Where generator guys were too late and will sell them at break even so they don't have 100 generators.

Without profit motive, this doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Again, just because it is profitable doesn't mean it is moral.
Society uses laws like the one in effect to deal with those who can't be trusted to do what is right for society.
Ultimately societies are set up to work for the good of the society and when a person shows that they aren't able to do such they run afoul of laws designed to curb that anti-social behavior and punishments like prison and even execution are used to deal with them.

Arfcom has plenty of the 'libertarian' type who lack the ability to work together socially. These types of people are parasites who abuse the cohesion of broader society while taking advantage of society at every turn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love these threads. All of the people who think they are entitled to name their price for whatever they want to buy come out in droves.

"Gouging" is just another term for raising prices to match demand and regulate inventory. If you're selling out of an item in a matter of hours, it's priced too low.
Again, just because it is profitable doesn't mean it is moral.
Society uses laws like the one in effect to deal with those who can't be trusted to do what is right for society.
Ultimately societies are set up to work for the good of the society and when a person shows that they aren't able to do such they run afoul of laws designed to curb that anti-social behavior and punishments like prison and even execution are used to deal with them.

Arfcom has plenty of the 'libertarian' type who lack the ability to work together socially. These types of people are parasites who abuse the cohesion of broader society while taking advantage of society at every turn.
Preventing shortages and waste during a disaster IS moral.  

Keeping appearances with low prices on inevitably sold out goods is capitalism's version of virtue signaling.  Utterly useless when people actually need something.

I'll take the $6 gas that I can actually buy in a pinch thank you very much.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good for the Governor. Get over it libertarians.
View Quote
Liberty issues aside, price controls cause shortages and subsequent hardship ESPECIALLY during disasters.

Why would you be a fan of that?  I'm struggling to understand why you would view cheap prices on things you can't buy because it's sold out to be a good thing.  If you can't but something at any price, what good is it to you?

Or do I misunderstand and you actually live in a fantasy world where prices stay low during a disaster and supply manages to keep up anyway?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold loaded gen2 30rnd pmags at gun shows for 40$.
Walk in with a back pack full, walk out a hour later with a fist full of cash.

No fucks given for dipshits who wait and dont prep.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
/thread

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#12]
A business should be able to charge whatever they want at anytime for THEIR merchandise. Arf is bipolar, they don't want government involvement but they do want government involvement
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Totally agree.  The "gougers" (nice emotially loaded term) really do deserve a metal for actually helping people.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I personally am in the what ever the market will bear crowd.

The law allows for you to recoup whatever your costs and reasonable profits. So the guy who buys in another state and drives here gets to include the travel cost which will make the generators quite a bit more expensive.

If I owned a gas station, I would pay my employees $30 per hour and charge $5 per gallon.
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top