BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love metric for hardware, but I can't imagine measuring the speed of my car in anything other than MPH, my height in anything other than feet and inches, or weight in anything but pounds.
View Quote
That's only becasue your trying to convert, even of you don't realized it.  KPH?  how many MPH is that...

Don't do that KPH is KPH don't worry about how many MPH it is.  And your 1.x meters tall etc.  After a while you wouldn't care about MPH or feed & inches, Lbs etc anymore.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's the worst part.  It's absolute shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck metric, and fuck Celsius.

Celsius is arguably the best part of the metric system.
It's the worst part.  It's absolute shit.
Not really.

0 celsius is the freezing point of water.

100 celcius is the boiling point of water.

The optimum temperature of the human body is 37.5 celsius.

At a sustained 50 celsius the catalytic properties of enzymes can no longer function.

At 4 Celsius or below there may be risk of ice on the roads.  Below zero it is likely there will be ice on the roads.

As a term of reference you can quickly visualise the range of temperatures.  It's just a matter of what you are used to.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I use both, I like parts of both, I dislike parts of both.

Ideally I'd take the Metric unit equivalencies ie 1 cm³ of H²O =1 gram=1 ml and use power of 2 divisions and multiplications like US liquid volumes and fractional length. It bootstraps better, and power of 2 stuff looks better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm weak and couldn't resist.  I'll give myself a day off on Friday, I'm going to be installing a generator transfer panel and a sub panel, and need to decide the horsepower of electricity I want to supply to run my well and a few appliances.
View Quote
Watt?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The "foot" is a useful length, centimeter is too small and meter is too big.
View Quote
decimeter ftw
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

decimeter ftw
View Quote
which no one uses.

If the US used it we'd be the only country to use that unit in common usage.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
which no one uses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

decimeter ftw
which no one uses.

There's zero reason to size things in decimeters. They are readily seen in anything measured in centimeters.

146 cm.

Doesn't take any math to see just less than 15 decimeters. Just less than 1.5 meters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not really.

At a sustained 50 celsius the catalytic properties of enzymes can no longer function.

At 4 Celsius or below there may be risk of ice on the roads.  Below zero it is likely there will be ice on the roads.

As a term of reference you can quickly visualise the range of temperatures.  It's just a matter of what you are used to.
View Quote
Do your thermostats go up/down in .5*C increments? 1*C is too coarse of an adjustment for me. I'm not joking either. I can easily tell when my wife has attempted to get an extra degree out of the T stat in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You know what the 1998 Dodge Dakota uses for seat bolts?  1/2" in the front and 10mm in the rear. 
View Quote
Are you positive the 1/2 inch wasnt a 13 millimeter?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
"But muh inchez"
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No. One larger than 7/16 is 8/16 or 1/2".
View Quote
It's not 29/64"?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually the US is already using the metric (SI) system.  It is just obfuscated behind a layer of imperial unit conversions that are all now official defined by SI standards.  The inch is defined officially as exactly 25.4 mm.  The pound is defined as 0.45359237 Kg.  etc.  All imperial units are now defined based on an exact conversion from SI units.  The SI units then have some fundamental physical definition.  ie the meter is the distance light travels in 1/299,792,458 sec.  The kilogram (mass) is the only unit to still be defined by an artifact.  That is about to be replace (2018) by the Watt Balance (and a precise definition of Planks constant) and/or an Avogadro number / Atomic mass of pure silicone atoms.  (https://youtu.be/Oo0jm1PPRuo).

Personally I don't really care for most of my design work.  My CAD software will accept any units so I just type in what is convenient and let it convert for me.  Same for many of the analysis software I use.  When I get into a lot of energy calculations, especially if there is a lot of thermodynamics and/or fluid dynamics the SI system make the math a little bit easier but for the most part I can work just fine in either system.

But we are already on the SI system we just need to remove that extra layer of unit conversions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do your thermostats go up/down in .5*C increments? 1*C is too coarse of an adjustment for me. I'm not joking either. I can easily tell when my wife has attempted to get an extra degree out of the T stat in the winter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

Depends in the thermostat

Ours go up in 0.1 Celsius increments.  We have three for different zones of the house.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
which no one uses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

decimeter ftw
which no one uses.

Not true at all. We use decimeters and deciliters all the time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I still can't figure out our system.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Exactly.  A PSI is pretty easy to grasp, what the fuck is a pascal?
View Quote
Ain't that a town in Washington state? 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#20]
As someone who has a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

SCREW the IMPERIAL SYSTEM!!!

After working with the SI system I became accustomed to using it and could pretty nearly guess answers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's actually one of the best reasons I've seen.  
View Quote
Decimeter.

10 CM or 1/10th Meter

1 Foot would be about 3 Decimeters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Metric is awesome but sae is here to stay.  We machine in thousandths here even if it's a metric part.

Metric is much simpler, know what's one bigger than a 12mm wrench?  Yes, a 13mm. Know what's one bigger than a 7/16s? Sure, a 1/2", (unless you want a 15/32" )
View Quote
Here's the real question - can most of us mentally visualize a .635cm object? Probably not! But can the same person visualize an object that's 1/4"? Very probably!

We grew up with the SAE system, and it's ingrained in our psyche. Metric is not. Metric sucks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's not fine enough. 
View Quote
You know that tenths exist in Metric, right?

For example, do you think that you could feel the difference between 17.1C and 17.2C?

I probably couldn't tell you the difference between 17 and 19 in room temperatures, never mind anything finer than that. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Honey will you pick up 3.78 liters of milk on your way home?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Umm, use both systems as appropriate?

I know, GTFO with logic, GD don't do that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Can we cross reference those wanting the metric system with those wanting to get rid of cursive writing?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Honey will you pick up 3.78 liters of milk on your way home?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You know that tenths exist in Metric, right?

For example, do you think that you could feel the difference between 17.1C and 17.2C?

I probably couldn't tell you the difference between 17 and 19 in room temperatures, never mind anything finer than that. 
View Quote
I can easily tell the difference in 1*F as I mentioned above. Also mentioned above, metric thermostats are adjustable in .1*C so I guess there goes one of my argument against the metricians. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Whoosh.

In case you're curious, the well is on a 220VAC 40 amp circuit.  I'll let some of our "metric" experts sort that out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm weak and couldn't resist.  I'll give myself a day off on Friday, I'm going to be installing a generator transfer panel and a sub panel, and need to decide the horsepower of electricity I want to supply to run my well and a few appliances.
Most household outlets and circuits are 2 horsepower each (in US and UK).
Whoosh.

In case you're curious, the well is on a 220VAC 40 amp circuit.  I'll let some of our "metric" experts sort that out.
220V isn't an American voltage that is available without buck-boost transformers and shit, since it is Eurofag garbage. It's either 208v or 240v, and if you want to get all NEMA on it, its 230V. 

That's one hell of a well pump. How deep is it? 700'? 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

which no one uses.

View Quote
Who cares if the U.S. decides to use decimeter?  We're the only one using feet as it is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I assume that most people here would not want to switch to the metric system.  What I want to know is:  Why not?
View Quote

I use both systems <basically> daily.
Metric is more logical, and simple, especially when cutting threads.
And US will never go metric, so its irrelevant.
mainly because we have so many simple people who don't want thing simple.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#32]
SAE in aviation cuz Merica!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I like it when used in conjunction with our system, but not on its own.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Holy shit!  Where have you been?

@TheCanuck
View Quote
At work.

I'm working lots of OT and I've spent maybe 10 weeks at home so far this year.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Metric is good for some things. If you build a 7 foot tall bookcase out of 1x12" lumber, and you want 6 evenly spaced interior shelves; how far apart should you space them?
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top