Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the original is just too drab.  It just isn't going to get anyone excited.  It needs something to make it pop. (pardon the pun). I'm thinking, handlebar streamers.  Just picture it.  Add these and everyone will be carrying them into combat.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The Chinese still produce stick grenades. They're about 25% shorter than the potato masher however.

ETA: they  look like a dubious adult toy

They also make a curious rocket assisted grenade that can either be fired or flung like a potato masher.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
What's with the Ben Wa Ball?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Again, I would suggest a new model where the handle would be collapsible and constructed of lightweight fiberglass.

Our rifle stocks are not made of wood any longer, we can also modernize other gear.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's fucking huge and unwieldy. Wouldn't carry on kit worth a shit. Also it wouldn't go as well through small holes or spaces if need be.

The M67 is perfectly fine. The ASM fucks people up better though

Again, I would suggest a new model where the handle would be collapsible and constructed of lightweight fiberglass.

Our rifle stocks are not made of wood any longer, we can also modernize other gear.

Why?

Being able to throw grenades a little bit farther is not a solution to a problem we currently have. There's usually a grenadier present with a 320 should you need to blow shit up farther than throwing distance. Or a guy with a LAW/AT4. Or in our case, a Gus gunner.

I just have images in my head of throwing a frag by a handle and having the handle snap off in mid throw sending my grenade in some random direction. Lowest bidder and all that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
HEAT grenades.

and if you are real ballzy...magnetic mine.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But, what about the trees potatoes?

View Quote

Fixed.

You are welcome.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel like tossing a grenade farther is what we invented the 40mm Grenade Launcher for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not go with the cheapest bidder?

Can you see soldiers throwing big black round iron bombs with fuses burning and ACME written on the side? Oops, sorry in the spirit of J_R's thread instead of iron the bomb would be a light weight plastic housing with BBs imbedded in the body.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I feel like tossing a grenade farther is what we invented the 40mm Grenade Launcher for.
View Quote

Right - unless you don't have one.

I also like the idea that it's more likely to stay in the area where it lands instead of ......bounce, bounce, roll, roll, roll.......bang.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Chinese still produce stick grenades. They're about 25% shorter than the potato masher however.
ETA: they  look like a dubious adult toy
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4819998208100816&pid=1.7
They also make a curious rocket assisted grenade that can either be fired or flung like a potato masher.
View Quote
With fotune cookie hander!

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why not go with the cheapest bidder?

Can you see soldiers throwing big black round iron bombs with fuses burning and ACME written on the side? Oops, sorry in the spirit of J_R's thread instead of iron the bomb would be a light weight plastic housing with BBs imbedded in the body.
View Quote

Sure - laugh it up.

Don't underestimate the Wile E Coyote bomb.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were an OFFENSIVE grenade with a smaller wound/blast radius than our DEFENSIVE grenades that had more shrapnel.

The Krauts in both World Wars would rig up a double burlap sack harness that went under both arms to carry a bunch at a time.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0elGkcabmSPjvBezZZ2FkhV5UBngP_L5kdx27l1y1x01CWhjIKytNFOHc

Thank You, Sir, that was one of the photo's I was basing my statement on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Haha yeah.  Or stuff your belt with them to toss.  While Deter shoots anyone who survives/you don't get with his G98.

http://www.goldposters.com/posterimages/6850321-german-storm-troops-laden-with-grenades-during-world-war-i.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carry them in buckets for your kamrade, who is throwing them into trench dugouts while you run faster than saint skittles on adredaline out of wal-mart with security on your ass.

Sandbags.  Tie two together, hang over neck, fill with grenades.  That was typical.

The Chinese used their own offshoot of the german grenade, and the Russians had a few different types of stick grenade.

Those little beads on the end of the string can be found on battlefields all over europe.  They survive quite well where everything else would decompose or rust.

Haha yeah.  Or stuff your belt with them to toss.  While Deter shoots anyone who survives/you don't get with his G98.

http://www.goldposters.com/posterimages/6850321-german-storm-troops-laden-with-grenades-during-world-war-i.jpg

They look to be all of 15 years old.

Yeah, I know.  Lots of kids joined up to fight in both world wars but damn...

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carry them in buckets for your kamrade, who is throwing them into trench dugouts while you run faster than saint skittles on adredaline out of wal-mart with security on your ass.

Sandbags.  Tie two together, hang over neck, fill with grenades.  That was typical.

The Chinese used their own offshoot of the german grenade, and the Russians had a few different types of stick grenade.

Those little beads on the end of the string can be found on battlefields all over europe.  They survive quite well where everything else would decompose or rust.

I noticed that too.  

My great great uncle was maybe a year or two older than that when he lost his leg serving as an ambulance driver in WWI.    Had a lot of distant family in WWI fighting for the US and Germany.

War to end them all, huh?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Didn't those have quite a high failure rate?  As in, go boom when activated, failure rate?
View Quote
When you use conquered people as slave labor building tools to aid you in additional conquests, quality control tends to suffer.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not jut put a small piece of rope on a regular grenade for more leverage?        

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Stick grenade in jackboot looks just excellent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You don't need handles hanging off of your chest in combat.

Better to throw, harder to carry.

You carry far more of the time than you throw, carry wins.
View Quote

So you're saying they should cut the handle in half for the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's fucking huge and unwieldy. Wouldn't carry on kit worth a shit. Also it wouldn't go as well through small holes or spaces if need be.

The M67 is perfectly fine. The ASM fucks people up better though

Quit arguing about it on Arfcom and go design/build one and sell it to the military... and me
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I also like the idea that it's more likely to stay in the area where it lands instead of ......bounce, bounce, roll, roll, roll.......bang.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]

The squad labrador retriever brings them back...
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Again, modernize it with a collapsable, lightweight fiberglass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldve loved to walk around Iraq with a couple of those stuck in my body armor.

Until they got heavy and the stick rubbed me raw. Fuck it...

No but they are cool for realz.

Too complicated for little benefit.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldve loved to walk around Iraq with a couple of those stuck in my body armor.

Too complicated?  How long did it take you to understand a collapsable stock?  Seconds?

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Too complicated?  How long did it take you to understand a collapsable stock?  Seconds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Versus just throwing it?  It doesn't take long to understand at all.  Added complexity, added cost, added size (even with a collapsible stock) added steps in its usage....I wasn't aware that the GIs are having an issue with the hand grenade as we use it today.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I can throw a baseball a pretty long way.  Most Americans who grew up playing ball could.  

So I'd think that I could throw a round grenade a lot farther than flinging one attached to a stick.  

And what was with that stiff-armed grenade throwing technique, anyway?   That looked unnatural as hell.  Let me throw, lob, chuck, pepper, pitch, or toss the grenade.  I'd be much more accurate than that bullshit stiff-armed method.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#29]
easy to use in a chemical environment

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it standard for most soldiers to carry a grenade (or a number of grenades) or is it only a few people in a squad?

I'd be afraid of a short fuse or something.
View Quote

In my day, every ammo pouch could carry 2 grenades, 1 on each side...

Both the M14 & M16.............
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you go to your 25mm
As long as your argument is you might need something, but not have the thing that's designed to do it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've clearly never seen a stick grenade thrown (ETA ). Them suckers will, in fact, roll quite a ways if you toss it onto a hill and it doesn't land just right (i.e. parallel to the slope, or at least mostly so). They're still round, after all. Just not spherical.
And they'll bounce, just maybe not quite as much as an egg-style grenade.

Though I do think the idea of an extruded fiberglass or polymer handle might be worthwhile, albeit in a shorter configuration than the original Stielhandgranate. Maybe for a total OAL of about 8-9 inches rather than the ~14.5" OAL of the German models.
M67-on-a-handle, perhaps? Fit it upside-down into existing grenade pouches/flaps?
If you use an extruded cylindrical handle with a clip-on end and leave the fuze on the explosive head, you could actually just have a retrofit for easier tossing of the M67 as already in the system.

Then again, the fireteam or squad grenadier theoretically has an M203 or M320 for sending HE eggs beyond normal throw reach.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:07:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/DWzfFxJ.jpg

http://www.soldiermod.com/volume-6/images/articles/programmes/grenade.jpg

http://youtu.be/iYy-vXRpm_Q

that's a nasty little critter...
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I am guessing they were nice in the days of trench warfare but when trench warfare went away and grenade launchers came along they were not really advantageous anymore would be my guess.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/DWzfFxJ.jpg

http://www.soldiermod.com/volume-6/images/articles/programmes/grenade.jpg

http://youtu.be/iYy-vXRpm_Q

Here's the article on it: Soldiermod.com
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:25:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll cheerfully stipulate that my only experience with hand grenades has been with the smoke variety, but I kinda don't like the idea of "activate the fuse and throw" as much as "throw and the fuze activates itself".  I can see a problem with the former given today's plague of ADD.  Guy pulls the bead, his buddy yells, "Hey look, a squirrel", and four seconds later: AMF.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I can throw a baseball further than I can throw a stick. Are we sure the stick adds an advantage or are we assuming?

I get the assumed leverage advantage....think atlatl.....but in practical application I think the stick grenade is a fail.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Just use a sock. Wrap a knot in the end, slather grease on it, a sticky grenade. Saving Private Ryan style.
Hands, feet, neck, grenades and balls. Extra socks does it all!

Boom! Sock shot!

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am guessing they were nice in the days of trench warfare but when trench warfare went away and grenade launchers came along they were not really advantageous anymore would be my guess.
View Quote

Pretty much true with the AT grenade caveat.

As many noted above, in "standard" use the handle, while having advantages, doesn't provide enough advantage to justify its use..
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Their mom in the center is a shriveled inky.  Gross.  (would still do her, though).
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#43]
wow

INB4 Glock pics
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Japanese type 98A 'offensive' grenade. smaller, shorter stick, cast iron head for better fragmentation.another culture where they don't throw stuff as kids.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:24:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Can we just man up already and start using these?  

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:31:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Pack carry always works......unless one decides to go off

The handy clip helped

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

1+3, then 2 if I'm feeling generous.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:32:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I would go with a lightweight, collapsible fiberglass handle.

Grab the grenade, extend the "handle", throw.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go with a lightweight, collapsible fiberglass handle.

Grab the grenade, extend the "handle", throw.

Yeah, noone said they still had to have wooden handles.   I wonder if this idea was tested post war at Aberdeen...
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:39:47 AM EDT
[#50]

They deleted the clip at some point, I believe in ww2.  I found a rusted out grenade body in Verdun with it though.  Thought it was a mug.  PILES of those little ceramic beads too.  Could've made a necklace with 'em.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top