Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are really worried about distance, why not just use 40mm? I know it doesn't frag as much, but still...
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a picture of an Israeli tossing a grenade with a string/piece of rope attached to it.  I also saw a short description of doing this in a field manual years ago.  Apparently you tie the string around the fuze, pull the pin, give it a swing overhead and toss.  Given that the fuses can vary a bit, there's no way I want one close to me once the spoon is released so I place that concept in the "Bad Idea" folder.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

you don't trow a grenade like a baseball
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can throw a baseball further than I can throw a stick. Are we sure the stick adds an advantage or are we assuming?

I get the assumed leverage advantage....think atlatl.....but in practical application I think the stick grenade is a fail.

well you could if you want your arm to fall off
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:28:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can we just man up already and start using these?  

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/2/27154/1509925-ultra_bolter.jpg
View Quote

The Emperor protects.

My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Imagine my surprise when myself and another officer got called to a house for a found hand grenade and found this:

Here we thought we were going to a "Complaint department, take a number" grenade call!  We were wrong! The grenade and all the other things were from WWI. It was found in a foot locker that belonged to a US soldier that went in as a private, became a  sniper and left the war as a lieutenant.  By the way our bomb guys cleaned the grenade out of all the explosives and gave it to the property owners.  It's now in a museum.
I thought this manual in the locker was pretty good too.  I got to look through it while waiting for the bomb guys.   They just don't make them like this anymore!

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s394.photobucket.com/user/phobia68/media/idfriflegrenadier.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/phobia68/idfriflegrenadier.jpg</a>
View Quote

The French still use lots of rifle grenades

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If we're going to redesign the hand grenade, I'd prefer to see a single grenade capable of use as either a hand grenade, or as a bullet-through rifle grenade that would snug up on the current issue flash hider.
View Quote

This.  I've always thought a handle type grenade would include the option as a rifle grenade; unscrew the fuze assembly from the base of the handle and *voila* rifle ready.

I remember seeing some WW2 footage of a German soldier in urban combat run up to a window, smash it out with the grenade then pull fuse and toss in.  I saw the same footage with Army soldiers; there's required two men, one would bust the window out with the butt of his rifle then the other would pull the pin and toss the grenade in.

Carrying stick grenades wouldn't be that hard. you could carry them head down between your mag pouches or horizontally.  They would be no longer than a pop-up flare or a 30rd M-16 mag.

You know, with today's technology you could even design the grenade for varying time delays.  Turn the handle to the time you want which would be marked where the handle meets the explosive head, from 0 to whatever.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:59:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thank God for baseball.

Like chucking rocks.

View Quote

You know, there's a funny story about that.

During WW2 developers identified a problem with the common hand grenade.  It had too many protuberances that could get hung up, you had to go through a kinda complicated series of actions to ready, prime, then throw the grenade which could be difficult under combat conditions.  So they developed a better grenade and came up with a spin activated grenade.  The grenade would arm itself when thrown and detonate on contact.  This made the process of throwing a grenade under combat conditions much easier - there were no protuberances, no handles to snag, no pin to be pulled or to work loose, nothing, just like chucking rocks.  Just a nice round baseball shaped grenade.

What's the first thing an all-American boy raised on baseball does when handed a baseball?

The concept was quickly shelved.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel like tossing a grenade farther is what we invented the 40mm Grenade Launcher for.

Right - unless you don't have one.

I also like the idea that it's more likely to stay in the area where it lands instead of ......bounce, bounce, roll, roll, roll.......bang.

http://i.imgur.com/DWzfFxJ.jpg

http://www.soldiermod.com/volume-6/images/articles/programmes/grenade.jpg

http://youtu.be/iYy-vXRpm_Q

Swedes make some good stuff
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#13]
IIRC the Germans still use them to some capacity.  At a NATO couse back in 2002, we were going out on a patrol and the German E8 hands me "smoke".  It was a potato masher type smoke.

Me:
German E8:
Me:

I did end up using it during the exercise.  IIRC, I had to unscrew the top, pull the pin, then throw the damn thing.  Worked ok I guess.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, if you combine a stick grenade with a rifle grenade, you can get rid of that fucked up abortion called the M203!
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also, if you combine a stick grenade with a rifle grenade, you can get rid of that fucked up abortion called the M203!
View Quote

I always think of the 203 as a 40mm mortar.

I know jack shit about rifle grenades, but always thought they were flatter trajectory, so not really a 203/m79 substitute.   Somebody correct me if I'm getting that wrong.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I would not want to throw a potato masher in a wooded environment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I think the current hand grenades are fine.

As for the rifle launched stuff everyone is talking about, I think it's time we re-visited the Brunswick RAW:

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm picturing this, except with grenades instead of rocks...

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why not just use one of these to toss the frags we have now?

http://assets.sbnation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/features/Jai-Alai/breaker-2.jpg
View Quote

COBRA beat you to this idea back in the late 80's.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As for the rifle launched stuff everyone is talking about, I think it's time we re-visited the Brunswick RAW:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5379/aaep.jpg
View Quote

Exhibit 1 in favor of AR 600-9.

Brunswick RAW, make your portly cigarette smoking infantrychubs even more dangerous!

Cool concept for a weapon though.  Reminds me a bit of that brit grenade thingy from WWII
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#21]
The Vietnamese used a small grenade that was about half wood and half metal. The top was a wooden stopper on top of the wooden half with a string inside. I always just assumed they were Chicom but they may have been homemade.

They nearly always threw 2 at once because the little grenades were not very reliable.

The ones I saw had a shorter wooden handle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#22]
All this nonsense of throwing grenades by hand.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Note that the screw-off cap was not in the first iteration.
The first iteration just had the looped string hanging out of the handle, unprotected.

Yeah. The cap was added after a few "bad experiences" in the brush.

Kharn
View Quote

Would have been bad for business.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was wondering how long it would take to point this out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can throw a baseball further than I can throw a stick. Are we sure the stick adds an advantage or are we assuming?

I get the assumed leverage advantage....think atlatl.....but in practical application I think the stick grenade is a fail.

I have only thrown live grenades in basic. I threw plenty of the dumb little blank grenades though...same shell. If not thrown like a ball, that what the hell do you call it? I threw the damned things like a ball.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/grenade/gl06/m79-2.jpg

View Quote

Tough to clear a trenchline with that one.  Unless they bring back a buckshot round.  or flechettes.

Also, hand grenades to knock out bunkers come in handy when other methods haven't worked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
I am wondering if they'll go entirely to the little 25 mm ones eventually (for propelled grenades).

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

what could go wrong...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's fucking huge and unwieldy. Wouldn't carry on kit worth a shit. Also it wouldn't go as well through small holes or spaces if need be.
The M67 is perfectly fine. The ASM fucks people up better though

Again, I would suggest a new model where the handle would be collapsible and constructed of lightweight fiberglass.
Our rifle stocks are not made of wood any longer, we can also modernize other gear.

what could go wrong...
this

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Yes twice, NO, yes once, electrolytes, sleep.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Versus just throwing it?  It doesn't take long to understand at all.  Added complexity, added cost, added size (even with a collapsible stock) added steps in its usage....I wasn't aware that the GIs are having an issue with the hand grenade as we use it today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldve loved to walk around Iraq with a couple of those stuck in my body armor.
Until they got heavy and the stick rubbed me raw. Fuck it...

No but they are cool for realz.

Again, modernize it with a collapsable, lightweight fiberglass.

Too complicated for little benefit.  

Too complicated?  How long did it take you to understand a collapsable stock?  Seconds?

Versus just throwing it?  It doesn't take long to understand at all.  Added complexity, added cost, added size (even with a collapsible stock) added steps in its usage....I wasn't aware that the GIs are having an issue with the hand grenade as we use it today.

All it takes is some guy pulling the pin, realizing he didn't extend the handle, then fumbles it like a monkey fucking a football.

Some people can barely throw a rock to save themselves, let along handle an explosive device that requires any amount of 'finesse'.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Tough to clear a trenchline with that one.  Unless they bring back a buckshot round.  or flechettes.

Also, hand grenades to knock out bunkers come in handy when other methods haven't worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that I think about it, a grenade launcher projectile with a provision to allow it to be used as a hand grenade makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#32]
If this is an example of some of of the "out of the box forward thinking" that OP claims he would bring to the Test Post Forum as a moderator.... then the Avila's made a smart move by not appointing him.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think there's a stigma associated with that style of grenade.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suppose if it worked well, someone today would be using it.

I think there's a stigma associated with that style of grenade.

They said that in the 1980s when the US adopted those "Nazi" helmets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have only thrown live grenades in basic. I threw plenty of the dumb little blank grenades though...same shell. If not thrown like a ball, that what the hell do you call it? I threw the damned things like a ball.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how it's done in the US military, but we teach soldiers to keep their arms straight. It's easier to control exactly where the grenade goes, than if one uses a baseball-type technique.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am wondering if they'll go entirely to the little 25 mm ones eventually (for propelled grenades).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

25mm rounds have an extremely small kill/casualty-radius. The 40x46mm grenades are anemic enough as it is (which is why modern launchers like the M320 can also use 40x51mm grenades).
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know how it's done in the US military, but we teach soldiers to keep their arms straight. It's easier to control exactly where the grenade goes, than if one uses a baseball-type technique.
View Quote

I know what you mean; that is what is taught here too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Ummm why would we need extra range? Anything over 30-35 meters (the range m67 are usually thrown at) sounds like perfect territory for 40mm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Cumbersome which why they are no longer used
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I also like the idea that it's more likely to stay in the area where it lands instead of ......bounce, bounce, roll, roll, roll.......bang.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel like tossing a grenade farther is what we invented the 40mm Grenade Launcher for.

ever been part of a rifle squad bro?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I hate threads that say  ......  something something  discuss.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5379/aaep.jpg
View Quote

Brunswick, huh?

I guess what works in the bowling alley could theoretically work on the battlefield, somehow.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd much rather use the M79 or M203. The thought of throwing grenades has always bothered me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#43]

We need a lawn dart version.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Far enough...and as soon as I let go I'd be runnin' the opposite direction.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Far enough...and as soon as I let go I'd be runnin' the opposite direction.  

And my lab would be right behind me with it in his mouth!
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#45]
More mass?  No thanks.  Infantryman's load is heavy enough.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do have to say. Never been in a situation where a stick grenade was the thought that crossed my mind as "That is exactly what I need right now."

I've never felt there was a gap between M67s, M203, and MK19s.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Consulting the book of armaments I find this to be superior

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Haji still likes those old school grenades.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s20.photobucket.com/user/fightinghellfish/media/Afghanistan/100_8914.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/fightinghellfish/Afghanistan/100_8914.jpg</a>
View Quote

Is that chinese?  Russian?  Hammered together from goat shit and bubblegum in a cave locally?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Is that chinese?  Russian?  Hammered together from goat shit and bubblegum in a cave locally?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s20.photobucket.com/user/fightinghellfish/media/Afghanistan/100_8914.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/fightinghellfish/Afghanistan/100_8914.jpg</a>

I'd guess it's Chinese, or a Paki copy of a Chinese grenade.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top