User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Think of the 5.8 Chinese round as a .23-caliber shooting a 77-grain M855A1-style bullet at around 3000 fps.  Really a pretty decent round.
View Quote

Yes I agree, unfortunately for us they are on the right track
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I vote for giving everyone the Ruger SFAR (6.5 pounds) with PA 3x microprisim, and 25 round PMAGs for DMR and keep the M4 as needed for COB and support personnel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

For what they are doing they don’t need excellent accuracy, but they have a round for that too, with a brass case and an 84gr cup and core bullet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like they saw the benefits of MK 262 and getting it going even faster.

Kind of. Their bullet has a hardened steel penetrator. It’s more like… some combination of 855 and A1 but with better ballistics.

Even better, so long as you can keep the accuracy up like you can with an OTM compared to a traditional cup and core projectile.

For what they are doing they don’t need excellent accuracy, but they have a round for that too, with a brass case and an 84gr cup and core bullet.

I’ve done no research on their small arms, but it seems interesting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The same army that is trying to adopt the 80 year old concept of a battle rifle?
View Quote

If you grant the assumption that AI assisted auto aiming is right around the corner, that reverses most of why battle rifles were phased out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree. SIG made a great submission. It's unfortunate that the requirements are retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before Narphenal shits up the thread with over-the-top flexing on poors.

Rent free.

God forbid someone with first hand experience post, it would take away from all the baseless speculation.
Quoted:

You can bet he's not going to like this. At least no one has brought up Taylor Swift yet.

Not going to like a YouTube video? Nah, mostly indifferent. People are allowed their opinions.

Most of the hate on the Spear is cope. The rest is people trying to place the blame anywhere other than where it belongs, on the initial requirements. It's not Sigs fault the army set forth stupid requirements, nor is it their fault they had the best submission.

https://i.imgur.com/nyMQTyl.jpg

I agree. SIG made a great submission. It's unfortunate that the requirements are retarded.

That's where I am at. Standing on its own, I think it's probably a great rifle. But the battle rifle is stupid as shit. Blah blah blah Optic this optic that. The optic isn't going to overcome all of the many reasons battle rifles suck on the modern battlefield.

I think a 5.56 XM5 would be cool . But what's the point? The M4 is the slimmest, most handy and most controllable weapons out there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I expect the bore life on barrels would be much shorter with this super hot/smaller diameter round.  

Probably not much of an issue for machine guns.

Might be a good if they procured a good number of battle rifles to use in places like Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Any good brand of Level IV armor can easily eat the M2AP projectile loaded in .300 WM. That's a significantly greater increase with a heavier penetrator.

It's also worth noting that .277 Fury only gets 3000 fps from a 16" barrel. The XM5 has a 13" barrel.
View Quote

Do you know why there's no Level 5 armor?  Because that's where the chart stops.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here are some very real unintended consequences of shit planning:

Several active duty and National Guard ranges don't have adequate down-range safety accommodation to ensure 7.62 rounds don't travel outside the impact area -- let alone .277 Fury.

Restricted to infantry, cav scouts, and sappers, there still aren't any proposed-required M5-specific body armor-killing rifle qualification tables.  Nobody has stated what distance that is.  The faster, heavier bullet has even further downrange safety hazard distance considerations and consequences.
View Quote

To further emphasize this point look at the change in 30-06 from M1 to M2? 175gr boat tail to 150gr flat bottom because way back before WWII we didn't have ranges that could handle the higher BC bullets down range safety.

"By 1936, it was discovered that the maximum range of the .30 M1 ball ammunition with its boat-tailed spitzer bullets was beyond the safety limitations of many military firing ranges. An emergency order was made to manufacture quantities of ammunition that matched the external ballistics of the earlier M1906 cartridge as soon as possible."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I handled one at AUSA. It's as heavy as you'd expect. Let's not forget that upper body strength has taken a nosedive for decades.

An 800 meter weapon for an Army with 25 yard ranges in an era of HIMARS and highly nimble and lethal drones is just stupid.
View Quote

The Infantry rifle or carbine is one of those items that is a pretty sexy subject matter for the masses when talking about war. I bet you could find plenty of message boards with current discussions on how or why Germany would have won WW2 if every troop had a STG-44.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you grant the assumption that AI assisted auto aiming is right around the corner, that reverses most of why battle rifles were phased out.
View Quote

Except for weight and reduced ammo capacity. Which were the big reasons battle rifles were phased out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you know why there's no Level 5 armor?  Because that's where the chart stops.
View Quote

Of note, the military doesn't seem to care for NIJ ratings much. See XSAPI for example
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Infantry rifle or carbine is one of those items that is a pretty sexy subject matter for the masses when talking about war. I bet you could find plenty of message boards with current discussions on how or why Germany would have won WW2 if every troop had a STG-44.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's almost as if warfare is a combination of resources in depth requiring multiple capabilities for a lot of different reasons.  These discussions always look at problems in black and white, and assign ridiculous requirements to everything for justification.

"Will having a pistol win the war?"; "In an age of nukes why are we worried about a new truck?"; "Why do we need Gen V fighters when our opponents don't have them?"; "Why do we need new ammo when our opponents don't have equivalent armor?"

Then the discussion spins on out-of-context assumptions and outdated knowns.

In the military every service develops it's own plan based on strategic threat guidance plotted 8-10 years out.  Each subset of the branches take their pieces and build requirements based on capability gaps they see within their fields preventing them from addressing those threats assigned to them.  Because in the modern world our procurement moves a lot slower than the threats do, they have to take known emerging threats (which you the general public have never heard of), and apply resources towards how they expect that threat to evolve in several years. Then they start planning the long development process towards that threat knowing we will not have anything in hand until several years in the future, and the end product will be based on their best guess at the time of first seen threat years prior.

I'm not championing the XM5 or SIG 6.9 by any means, just pointing out that the methodology for framing most of the arguments I have seen here are completely flawed and/or irrelevant.

Quoted:

Of note, the military doesn't seem to care for NIJ ratings much. See XSAPI for example

They don't care for a reason, which by default means they do care.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You keep referring to WW2 Era and 30 year old rounds.
The Army has invested heavily in the 7.62 M1158 round and is currently in full production, and the XM1184 program will follow.

You pretend all the army decision makers are using 50 year open source documents, because that is what you have to go off of.

https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/pub/reports/FY2021/army/2021m1158.pdf
View Quote

XM118 will not be issued in large numbers because it's not practical to do so. They'd have already issued M993 en masse if it was.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/29/level-iv-unbeatable-armor-caliber-problem-tungsten/

.30-06 M2AP is a greater threat to armor than the newer steel core EPR designs because the latter compromise penetrator size to enable fragmentation. In any case, many plates can stop tungsten core threats and they're proliferating rapidly. Aiming around the armor will be the solution, even if you have tungsten core .277 Fury. The penetration range against standard Level IV won't be very long.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Soviet satellites bought linked steel core 7.62AP in quantity so it’s a real threat in much of the world. Plates have reached the point where they can stop just about anything a man can fire from the shoulder or carry in quantity so IMO trying to defeat them directly is a waste.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Sabot time? Flechette time?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sabot time? Flechette time?
View Quote

How many MG spotting rounds would it take to punch through body armor?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes

Like on the Eastern front.

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Like on the Eastern front.

View Quote

Yup, something tells me those are the Easy Button when it comes to defeating body armor.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top