Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
My zebralight SC64 is basically the size of the 18650 battery that goes inside it….and the light it produces on high is as bright (or brighter) than my trucks LED headlights. It’s pretty incredible compared to the rechargeable mag light I carried at the Police Dept. In the late 90’s
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
My first weapon light was a 65 Lumen Surefire G2 electrical taped to the handguards of my M16A2.

We've come a long way baby!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My EDC pocket flashlight is a 6 year old Thrunite Archer. That thing has been though hell and back, is scarred up, but it comes one every time i need it to. My mind travels back to coon hunting with my uncle. My flashlight was a blinky D cell chunks that did good to let you just see the ground ahead.

I could not bitch. My dad carried a hurricane lamp as a kid. His dad had a carbide lamp.

Uncle had one of those badass coon hunter lights with a belt battery packs.. I think this little Archer throws more light than his coon light did and it uses 2 AAs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No doubt, it sure is. I laugh at the then-expensive state of the art from 10 to 15 years ago we have in the drawers, compared to what I can find in the "camping" section at Wally world today. And that's not even dreaming of chasing new top tier branded stuff. It is freaking amazing.

My EDC pocket flashlight is a 6 year old Thrunite Archer. That thing has been though hell and back, is scarred up, but it comes one every time i need it to. My mind travels back to coon hunting with my uncle. My flashlight was a blinky D cell chunks that did good to let you just see the ground ahead.

I could not bitch. My dad carried a hurricane lamp as a kid. His dad had a carbide lamp.

Uncle had one of those badass coon hunter lights with a belt battery packs.. I think this little Archer throws more light than his coon light did and it uses 2 AAs.

State of the art when I grew up were those 6 volt lanterns which threw off the light of 2 lit matches. Everyone owned one for camping because they were magically better than most D cell flashlights, and were sold in every gas station, and store which sold outdoor equipment.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A flashlight so bright it has Mach cones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sticking with my ancient HID flashlights.  I prefer the lightning in a bottle created by tens of thousands of volts, arcing across platinum electrodes, creating a glorious, shimmering plasma. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154626/IMG_4479_jpeg-3033017.JPG
6000K:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154626/IMG_4474_jpeg-3033019.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154626/IMG_4475_jpeg-3033022.JPG
4300K:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154626/IMG_0764_jpeg-3033051.JPG

WTF?! What is that? WHAT IS THAT??!!
A flashlight so bright it has Mach cones.

That flashlight is responsible for global warming. No snowplow needed, turn on the light and the road was cleared.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
absolutely correct. you need 300 lumens for EDC.
View Quote

Some of us live in the dark, the very big and dark. 300 lumens is entirely insufficient for my EDC.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I can remember life before laser guided scissors, not sure how we survived back then.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can remember life before laser guided scissors, not sure how we survived back then.
View Quote

Survivorship bias. Many of us didn't.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I remember the mid 2000’s reading here than anything above 100 lumens will blind you in a CQB scenario. Incandescent was still superior to LED.

Now a $17 two pack of LED headlamps have 1200 lumens.

The advancement of tech with flashlights is mind boggling.

What was cutting edge 3-5 years ago is downright antiquated.

All of my lights are old tech, but I feel like I’m wasting my money buying anything new because it will be out of date in a year or two.

Anyone care to explain what the hell is going on in the flashlight world? Will we ever plateau?
View Quote
even if it gets out of date in a few years, it's still better than the antiquated one you said you still have. Spend the money.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered a Wurkkos TD04.  This site always costs me money!
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I read "fleshlight" in the thread title.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]
My favorite light I've ever owned is a newer jetbeam RRT01. It's output isn't much higher then what I replaced but it has a feature I use constantly on it.

It has a ring near the bezel you can spin to control the brightness. There is only one detent (max power) and it's infinitely adjustable otherwise. It's awesome for those situations where you need a small amount of light and don't want to sear your retinas off. You can pull it out roll it back to minimum power click it on and roll it up slightly to where you want it. The ring is also completely sealed so it's still waterproof.

It also came with a USB rechargable battery.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My favorite light I've ever owned is a newer jetbeam RRT01. It's output isn't much higher then what I replaced but it has a feature I use constantly on it.

It has a ring near the bezel you can spin to control the brightness. There is only one detent (max power) and it's infinitely adjustable otherwise. It's awesome for those situations where you need a small amount of light and don't want to sear your retinas off. You can pull it out roll it back to minimum power click it on and roll it up slightly to where you want it. The ring is also completely sealed so it's still waterproof.

View Quote

Sounds like the perfect small light.  The ring adjustment is genius.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

NEGATIVE. Get Malkoff conversion kits for them. Then you have a super bright LED light that you can still beat the crap out of a muthafucka who needs it with.
View Quote

I like maglights for the nostalgia but I can't get past how terrible batteries are. Give me 26650s damnit.

I'd love to design/print a 5-6 26650 cell holder with a built in USB C charger putting out ~12v for a maglight, but that's a lot of work for a flashlight.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I saw one of the old 6-D Maglites the other day, look how far we have come.
View Quote

You could probably burn a house down/signal people on the moon with the amount of modern tech you could pack into one of those old maglites.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You could probably burn a house down/signal people on the moon with the amount of modern tech you could pack into one of those old maglites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw one of the old 6-D Maglites the other day, look how far we have come.

I remember when my neighbors used to call me to come investigate "bumps in the night" because I had a 6 cell Maglite and all they had were plastic grocery store flashlights.

People would've fallen to their knees and worshipped you like a god if you had this thing back in the 1990s.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#17]
SEALs used this flash light taped to their Stoner 63A guns for night work. It is a explosion proof flash light used in the Navy at that time. Its not bright at all.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I remember when my neighbors used to call me to come investigate "bumps in the night" because I had a 6 cell Maglite and all they had were plastic grocery store flashlights.

People would've fallen to their knees and worshipped you like a god if you had this thing back in the 1990s.

https://us.olicdn.com/image/9cef115f86414b7684180127f7bd2d66.jpg@600w_600h_90q.webp
View Quote
Now I want one
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This motherfucker is like an aircraft landing light. It will put out 10kl for 120 min.  (18kl is like 30 seconds)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/IMG_6871_jpeg-3032631.JPG
View Quote

For what it's worth...
$60 in 1992 could buy you one 12v aircraft landing light.
With minor modifications, they would fit in the headlight housing of your twin headlight GM car, like my 1969 Chevelle.
Yes, they were impressive.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just ordered a Wurkkos TD04.  This site always costs me money!
View Quote

Nice!

Yep, these threads always cost us money.  I jut bought one of these and I’m not sure why:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use a similar light at work:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What’s a good light that only does off/on? I hate all that multi mode garbage.
View Quote

I have thousands of dollars worth of lights and the Nitecore P12 and Fenix PD35 are as good as they get for size vs output.  Both are multi mode but you don’t have to use it.  Multi mode is great for saving battery power and both are very intuitive.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Remember the old generator powered headlights for bicycles back in the day? I would have killed for a modern LED.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/559744/bicycle_headlight_generator_jpg-3032627.JPG
View Quote

ya i been pondering that as well.  i suppose batteries etc are just lightter and induce less friction??
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top