25 cent hamburgers
25 cent fries
25 cent Malts

But i'm 72
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had a shared telephone line with several of our rural neighbors.   I think it was called a "party line".

People on our loop could listen  in on our phone conversations and vice versa.  We had a couple of ladies on our loop that would tie up the line for hours.

It was a big deal when we finally got a private line.
View Quote

Yep. Us, too.

One Western Electric (Bell) slimline wall phone, with a 25' stretchy cordi in the hallway. If you wanted to make sexy talk with your girlfriend, you stretched the cord to the bathroom. You think you were private, but would here your shithead sibling crack up while eavesdropping from the other phone in  the livibg room.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Dirt clod fights...
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#4]
It was a big deal when my cousins got one of the first color TV sets.  It was about a 25" screen in a giant console and was a very big deal to drive down to their place to watch color tv on a giant 25 inch screen...
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep. Us, too.

One Western Electric (Bell) slimline wall phone, with a 25' stretchy cordi in the hallway. If you wanted to make sexy talk with your girlfriend, you stretched the cord to the bathroom. You think you were private, but would here your shithead sibling crack up while eavesdropping from the other phone in  the livibg room.
View Quote

We had a party line as well.

And even when we got a private line , no “private “ talk was allowed , if I couldn’t say it in front of mom , I couldn’t say it .
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fuel cap behind the license plate on the back of the car
View Quote

The fuel tank behind the bench seat in my dad's Chevy truck.

All of us at the drive in theater. Coiled  ring of DDT laced incense burning to keep the mosquitos at bay.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#7]
3 on the tree
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
10 cent pay phone booths. Getting a meal at the counter of Woolworth stores. Watching Old Yeller at the RKO Palace on the big screen with my mom.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Checking the bottom of Coke bottles to see which one came from the furthest away city.

Seeing a color TV for the first time.  The program was "Guy Lombardo, Live from Times Square in NYC".  It was New Years Eve, 1955.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
When almost all hardware and department stores sold guns.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Skinny people.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Duck and cover.

Charlie's Chips.

View Quote

I remember around 1967 doing a nuclear bomb drill in the Catholic school I went to.
They put us down in the basement for a duck and cover to save us from the bomb.
All the steam pipes were covered in 1 inch of asbestos!

Are you referring to Charles chips?
When my dad died and we were picking out an urn- I saw the ridiculous prices for a cheap wood box.

I told my wife to bury me in a Charles chip can.Attachment Attached File

Great responses in this thread.
I remember most all.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#13]
TVs only came in wooden boxes.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
High beam switch on the floor.

View Quote

Man, that caught me by surprise!  I remember those in my dad's car!  Also, the triangular vent windows.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Howard Cosell

Harry Carey
View Quote

Jimmy the Greek
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Hoping that the out house had a toilet seat attached so you didn't get the chance of a splinter in your ass.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember when if you walked around with your pants down around your ass, you got that ass kicked.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#19]
McDonald's actually counted the number of burgers sold.  I also remember the introduction of the Big Mac.  

Somewhere in my shit I have a framed McD's price menu from Japan.  Everything was double, triple the price of stateside and my dad thought it was hilarious.  Last time I looked at it, I opined that those were the good old days when fast food was affordable.  It's even worse now!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dirt clod fights...
View Quote

Do kids even do that anymore?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#21]
TV dinners. Not the microwavable ones.

Hearing the sound of coffee percolating in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Points, duel points, dwell. Ass hole engineers putting everything at the back of the engine so the cowl made it a PITA to do.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Milk delivery by horse and buggy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Almost nobody's mama had a paying job.

Telephone, well-mounted, centrally located in the house with a very long cord to reach privacy.  (Sneaking over, jumping-up, and clicking the hang-up switch while sissy was talking.  Running from her--sometimes to the relative safety outdoors--and then tellin' on her and getting her in trouble if she caught me before getting over it.)

Gouged-out seat-belt warning lights and accessible and defeat-able key-in buzzers.

Seeing gravel zooming by under rusted out floorboards.  

Literal floor boards.  

Throwing away the a/c etc. on a, at the time, near worthless, but now would-be valuable, muscle/pony car.

Drum brakes that quit working when wet.

Sliding across bench seats when going around curves.

Vacuum-operated windshield wipers.

Bus driver stopping at the country store (...and buying cokes and tater chips for poor kids).  We had to cash-in the bottles and clean out the trash while stopped.  

Being sent outside to turn the TV antenna.  Being hollered at when you had it right.

Jets mixing black exhaust smoke with contrails.

I never milked a cow but I know people who did.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#25]
10 cent wing night at the local bar.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Coke was still cola and
a joint was a bad place to be
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#27]
The "Colored" rest rooms and water fountains at Publix. Real M-80's (Quarter sticks), $.25 quarts of oil racked in glass jars with funnel lids at the gas station, TV tube testers, church keys, terrycloth short shorts, jiffy pop, dungarees, bubbling Christmas tree lights, ubiquitous coffee can of bacon fat on every stove, ID bracelets, Canoe cologne, double-edged razors and big cans of Charlies chips.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Gas at 19.9 cents/gal
View Quote

Beat me to it.

B&W TV.

Westerns on every night

Going into a hardware store and buying a gun. Any age. No paperwork.

Station Wagons

No Interstates

No fast food restaurants within 60 miles of us.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#30]
That smell from damp paper off the ditto machine at school.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Almost nobody's mama had a paying job.

Telephone, well-mounted, centrally located in the house with a very long cord to reach privacy.  (Sneaking over, jumping-up, and clicking the hang-up switch while sissy was talking.  Running from her--sometimes to the relative safety outdoors--and then tellin' on her and getting her in trouble if she caught me before getting over it.)

Gouged-out seat-belt warning lights and accessible and defeat-able key-in buzzers.

Seeing gravel zooming by under rusted out floorboards.  

Literal floor boards.  

Throwing away the a/c etc. on a, at the time, near worthless, but now would-be valuable, muscle/pony car.

Drum brakes that quit working when wet.

Sliding across bench seats when going around curves.

Vacuum-operated windshield wipers.

Bus driver stopping at the country store (...and buying cokes and tater chips for poor kids).  We had to cash-in the bottles and clean out the trash while stopped.  

Being sent outside to turn the TV antenna.  Being hollered at when you had it right.

Jets mixing black exhaust smoke with contrails.

I never milked a cow but I know people who did.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Since we're talking slots in the back of the medicine cabinet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#35]
When Falstaff was one of the most popular beers.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pull-tabs on beer cans

ETA. Glass seltzer bottles. Delivered to your door
View Quote

Those stout old cans with pull tabs that were actually hard to crush.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Penny candy
Cap guns were sold at the drug store and looked real, and every boy had one,
The hardware store had creaky ancient wood floors, in addition to hardware they sold guns, ammo, snacks, and gifts. Most gifts you got were bought in town, nobody traveled to buy stuff unless it was for a special occasion. The store also had a bullshitter's bench for the old farts.
Cartoons were only Saturday morning and it was a big deal when you could record at home.
I'd wait for the school bus with a 20ga to pop pests.
The door was locked once that I can recall, and it was a skeleton key so it's not like it was secure. Everyone had a box of old skeleton keys you could dig through to find one that worked, and it didn't take long.
Charging gas on an account, running it through a machine and signing the paper slip.
Restaurants that were all woodwork, Wainscoting, and a mirror behind the bar, real malt in a tall fancy glass for dessert, metal mixer cup on the side.
Shotgun or rifle in the car in the school parking lot, every boy had a knife. Chewed tobacco at schol too, thought we weren't supposed to.
Really, really low rise jeans, no high mom jeans hiding muffin tops, and the girls weren't engaging in false advertisement.
Swimming in gravel pits every day in the summer after work,  girls frequently "forgot" a suit and swam in underwear and a bra...but often they didn't want their bra to get wet either...

I still use a safety razor
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Scratching caps with your thumbnail to make them go off and ending up with black thumbs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Milkman delivery milk to your doorstep.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Tube Tops. Short Shorts. Huffy & Schwinn Bicycles made here, by us. Five different places within a block of the Courthouse that sold Firearms. Bottle Deposits and scrounging said bottles for candy money. Taking Guns to School and nobody got shot or in any trouble. Fuller Brush and Jewell Tea Men stopping @ the house.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Corded telephone mounted on the wall.  The phone was rented from the phone company.  My teenaged sisters routinely ruined the cords because they used the nearby bathroom as a phone booth and closed the door on the cord.  

TV remote controls.  Remember our first tv with a remote.  It was a BFD.

Movie night.  Rented movies (laser disc and vhs) and also had to rent the player.  People just didn’t  own a VCR.  

Calling your ‘crush’ on the phone and hoping her dad didn’t answer.  

You left the house, you were off the grid.  Imagine how naked and vulnerable you feel nowadays leaving the house without a cell phone.  

Ordering something via mail.  Mail a check and wait months for a package to appear.  

Perusing the classified section of magazines to write for free catalogs of anything you could find.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Riding in the way back
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#44]
When the backs of school bus seats were bare metal. Bus drivers could get your attention quick by slamming on the brakes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#45]
$ 0.19 per gallon gasoline

natural gas heaters you had to light with a match,   fans because there was no air conditioning,  hunting in the woods behind the house for lunch.

Chemistry sets and Mercury and Lead toy soldiers as a toy for small children.  Thanks Mom ????WTF

At the farm....out house & hand pump well,  old cabin with a wood burning kitchen stove with oven as the only heat in the one room cabin and finding the squirrels built a next in the pipe having smoke run you out of the house.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Xillennial here; I had a B&W TV, I was the TV remote, I had floor mounted high beam switch in my Ford, I remember growing up without a cellphone, I remember the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet and used it, I used road atlases, FL still had dry counties when I was growing up, heck, they were dry going into the 2010s.

A lot that you folks talk about existed in the 80s, 90s, and early 00s.
View Quote

We were end of line, brother.

Internet in the late 80s and than smartphones in 2007ish have changed a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Pull choke on the dash, could've used it this morning.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Clock radio in 1970 had plates w/ the time printed on them, they'd flip every minute,  can't remember if they had AM, PM on them so a minimum of 720 plates.  The precursor to a digital readout,  only other choice was analog.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Going to the dairy farm on Saturday to get our milk bottles fille.
And being the first of 6 kids up on Sunday to get the cream from one of the bottles.
(only one bottle was up for grabs)
I'd love to know what the % of milk fat was.
Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top